Always WANT MORE??

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
southern yankee

Always WANT MORE??

Post by southern yankee »

You know the old saying. Be grateful for what you have. Then why do most people want MORE. Or better. Or new improved??
neil

Always WANT MORE??

Post by neil »

southern yankee;1041948 wrote: You know the old saying. Be grateful for what you have. Then why do most people want MORE. Or better. Or new improved??

Who knows southern yankee, maybe its just to keep up with the Jones', or maybe we just get caught up in the things that interest us, its probably different for everyone why we do what we do :wah:
chonsigirl

Always WANT MORE??

Post by chonsigirl »

Nah, I'm happy with what I have. :)

Never been into new cars and houses, the car I have is 5 years old. It was the first new car I ever had, my husband bought it for me for my birthday present. :-4

Since I am in charge of money now, if I ever ten years from now need another car, it will be a used one.
Chezzie

Always WANT MORE??

Post by Chezzie »

never had a new car or new house and infact we have been in our house 18 years and only bought one new settee, the others were second hand.

I dont care for fancy stuff, aslong as my house is clean and my family is happy.

However id do ANYTHING for an Iphone:D:D:D:D
southern yankee

Always WANT MORE??

chonsigirl;1041959 wrote: Nah, I'm happy with what I have. :)

Never been into new cars and houses, the car I have is 5 years old. It was the first new car I ever had, my husband bought it for me for my birthday present. :-4

Since I am in charge of money now, if I ever ten years from now need another car, it will be a used one. me too. did not own my first home. until i was 47. my van is a 02. runs great. maybe keeping up with the Jones. is the reason??. i really don't know. We don't have the best. But we are far from the worst. i think it is those who had it all early in life.:confused::confused: maybe someone will answer this question??
Pheasy

Always WANT MORE??

Post by Pheasy »

The need/desire to want more and improve has got us where we are today. Without these desires we probably would never of progressed beyond cavemen (and cave ladies :)) - although I sometimes wonder if that progression was beneficial to us and our planet.

Need/desire is one thing, greed is another.

It is only as I have lost, that I truely ever began to appreciate all that I had. Sucks to get older and wiser :D
southern yankee

Always WANT MORE??

Pheasy;1041990 wrote: The need/desire to want more and improve has got us where we are today. Without these desires we probably would never of progressed beyond cavemen (and cave ladies :)) - although I sometimes wonder if that progression was beneficial to us and our planet.

Need/desire is one thing, greed is another.

It is only as I have lost, that I truely ever began to appreciate all that I had. Sucks to get older and wiser :D yes to be 25 again. but to know what you know now;)
Milly

Always WANT MORE??

Post by Milly »

I've been fortunate in my life, but never spoiled.... well, maybe just a little LOL...

But, I'm not greedy.... I don't want just because others have... I want because I need, and if I need something... I'll get it. :)
Click here to read FOC thread part 1

southern yankee

Always WANT MORE??

Barman;1042000 wrote: Had sod all early in life, came from a real poor family. Thirteen of us living in a four bed council house, no mother and a torturer for a father and all that codswallop.

If i want something now i have it, i owe not a penny to anybody. I recently paid over £3000 for a watch cos i liked it. I have worked bloody hard for every thing i have, i make sure my kids are ok without spoiling them. I would die protecting them or my wife, my three kids are all doing very well now and i hope i have had some influence on their life and well being.

I am a very private person, the only people i am close to is my family, i don't include brothers and sisters in that either. All this blood is thicker than water crap i just don't believe in.

Have i confused you even more?;)yes i do understand that. I have a sister in-law. she was born in central America. VERY POOR. well when she came to the US. She found out. what having a good life meant. But it effected her a different way. she is a hoarder. Buys things she will never use. Has several Sheds storing it all. A friend of mine is this way too. I think in the back of their minds. they feel they could end up VERY POOR again. Kind of sad:confused::(
scholle-kid

Always WANT MORE??

Post by scholle-kid »

If something is 'new' how can it be 'new and improved'

any way I have worked for many years and have everything I need so IMO that means I have everything I want .A home and property paid for in full,

a computer and an ISP ,healthy kids and grand kids,,etc
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
wildhorses

Always WANT MORE??

Post by wildhorses »

If you can't appreciate what you have, you will never appreciate anything you get in the future. Then you want more and more.....trying to feel satisfied. But the satisfaction comes in looking around you and being grateful for whatever you have...there are many people who have less. When you can appreciate what you have, you dont really need more.
shelbell

Always WANT MORE??

Post by shelbell »

southern yankee;1041948 wrote: You know the old saying. Be grateful for what you have. Then why do most people want MORE. Or better. Or new improved??

Ya know SY, I am very grateful for all that I have. I don't want more, better or improved. I want nothing for Christmas except to have my family around. I only want more money...not to be rich or to buy more things, but just enough to get us current on bills. I have everything I want or need...I'm blessed. :-6
southern yankee

Always WANT MORE??

shelbell;1042858 wrote: Ya know SY, I am very grateful for all that I have. I don't want more, better or improved. I want nothing for Christmas except to have my family around. I only want more money...not to be rich or to buy more things, but just enough to get us current on bills. I have everything I want or need...I'm blessed. :-6 to be rich in family and friends is VERY WEALTHY:);)
along-for-the-ride

Always WANT MORE??

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I guess it depends on what it is we want more of.

I'd like to be able to enjoy more time with my loved ones.

I'd like the net amount on my paycheck to be more than it is.

I'd like the news to focus more on our accomplishments than our failures.

I'm now thinking of pitiful, but hopeful, little Oliver Twist holding up his bowl asking for more food.

I'm thinking of the Rolling Stones singing, "I can't get no.............satisfaction."

I'm thinking of the theme song from an old movie, "More than the greatest love the world has known............"

More?;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
southern yankee

Always WANT MORE??

along-for-the-ride;1047098 wrote: I guess it depends on what it is we want more of.

I'd like to be able to enjoy more time with my loved ones.

I'd like the net amount on my paycheck to be more than it is.

I'd like the news to focus more on our accomplishments than our failures.

I'm now thinking of pitiful, but hopeful, little Oliver Twist holding up his bowl asking for more food.

I'm thinking of the Rolling Stones singing, "I can't get no.............satisfaction."

I'm thinking of the theme song from an old movie, "More than the greatest love the world has known............"

More?;) yes. people view wanting more in different ways. or better.
cars

Always WANT MORE??

Post by cars »

Some may say I have more then others, I say, others have more then me! It's just human nature to want to look at what others have. However, & that's a big however, to "lust" over what others may have, & then become drepressed because they themselves don't have that certain thing(s) is just wrong! That's when people start to live beyond their means. Perfect example Wallstreet collapse, Fannie May, Fannie Mac, AIG, bailout, home forclosures, thousands of dollars on credit cards, etc! All do to wanting more!
Cars :)
southern yankee

Always WANT MORE??

cars;1047147 wrote: Some may say I have more then others, I say, others have more then me! It's just human nature to want to look at what other have. However, & that's a big however, to "lust" over what others may have, & then become drepressed because they themselves don't have that certain thing(s) is just wrong! That's when people start to live beyond their means. Perfect example Wallstreet collapse, Fannie May, Fannie Mac, AIG, bailout, home forclosures, thousands of dollars on credit cards, etc! All do to wanting more! for some it is a vicious cycle
SlipStream

Always WANT MORE??

Post by SlipStream »

dunno SY, people 2day can be so selfish and expect 2 much:-5
southern yankee

Always WANT MORE??

SlipStream;1047496 wrote: dunno SY, people 2day can be so selfish and expect 2 much:-5 i had a Uncle like that. My grandma said when he was a young man. He would say at the dinner table. Mom, everything looks great. But if we only had.......:mad:
Kindle

Always WANT MORE??

Post by Kindle »

Perhaps they are empty vessels and they are trying to fill the void. :thinking:

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Odie

Always WANT MORE??

Post by Odie »

because, most always want more!

common knowledge although some will never admit it.
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “General Chit Chat”