US agrees to pull out

Nomad

US agrees to pull out

Post by Nomad »

spot;1022959 wrote:

Who lost the plot?

The Bush administration spock.

The pompous ass got in way over his head.

Not that theres evidence of a well conceived plan to begin with.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

US agrees to pull out

Post by spot »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 678783.stm

Iraq's ruling coalition says it wants to make changes to a draft long-term security pact with the US. American and Iraqi officials had previously said the draft agreement was final and would not be changed. The deal would allow US forces to stay in Iraq until 2011 and grant Iraq limited authority to prosecute troops.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 677551.stm

Supporters of Shia cleric Moqtada Sadr have staged a mass demonstration in Baghdad in protest against plans to extend the US mandate in Iraq. An estimated 50,000 protesters chanted slogans such as "Get out occupier!".

Iraqi and US negotiators drafted the deal after months of talks but it still needs approval from Iraq's government. Under the agreement US troops would withdraw by 2011, and Iraq would have the right to prosecute Americans who commit crimes while off-duty. The UN mandate for US-led coalition forces expires at the end of this year. About 144,000 of the 152,000 foreign troops deployed there are US military personnel.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

US agrees to pull out

Post by Odie »

RedGlitter;1023061 wrote: Good. To hell with Iraq, they can take care of themselves now. Maybe now we can work on our problems here without losing even more Americans. Why wait till 2011 though? Yank out now.

well said, if it happens!

We need our troops home to!

Life is just to short for drama.
spot

US agrees to pull out

Post by spot »

Both sides would seem to be refusing to blink. I wonder how long it will be before an American brings out a coded threat? There's ten weeks left of the existing UN mandate to occupy Iraq. US interests at this stage lie solely in not being jeered as they leave, that's why they're still there now instead of withdrawn any time in the last four years. So long as they're in the country and not all flying out of it the 50,000 demonstrators on the streets of Baghdad are small print on an inside page instead of headlines.

There is, at this stage, not a hope in hell of a stable post-occupation Iraq government being anything other than rabidly anti-American. Any Iraqi President who supinely sits in office mechanically saying Thank You America is going to be ousted by every self-respecting General, regardless of the ransacked state of the Iraqi Armed Forces.

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates has warned of "dramatic consequences" if Washington and Baghdad do not agree a security deal on US forces in Iraq. He said if there were no Status of Forces Agreement the US would have to "basically stop doing anything". Iraq's cabinet is demanding changes to a draft deal already agreed with Washington that would allow US forces to stay in Iraq until 2011.

Mr Gates said the US had "great reluctance" to renegotiate. "I don't think you slam the door shut, but I would say it's pretty far closed," he said. "The consequences of not having Status of Forces Agreement (Sofa) and of not having a renewed UN authorisation are pretty dramatic."

Failure to finalise the Sofa or renew a UN mandate would mean US operations would have to be suspended. The UN mandate for US-led coalition forces expires at the end of the year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 683151.stm

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
southern yankee

US agrees to pull out

Post by southern yankee »

guppy;1023126 wrote: Afghanistan will be on the US target next...even though u.s. forces are pulling out of Iraq , they could just as easily return if the need or want be. :-5 i think our eyes should be more on N.Korea. They will be like Teddy Roosevelt said. Walk silently, but carry a big stick. that stick will be nuclear.
spot

US agrees to pull out

Post by spot »

southern yankee;1030146 wrote: i think our eyes should be more on N.Korea. They will be like Teddy Roosevelt said. Walk silently, but carry a big stick. that stick will be nuclear.

You don't think perhaps that the Chinese would take exception to a US nuclear strike within 180 miles of Chinese territory? That's the distance of the furthest point in North Korea from China, most of it's a lot closer.

Why do conditions in North Korea have any effect on the USA?

How would exposing the people of North Korea to nuclear fallout be any benefit to them?

The population density of North Korea is six times that of the USA, you can scarcely want to colonize the place.
southern yankee

US agrees to pull out

spot;1030154 wrote: You don't think perhaps that the Chinese would take exception to a US nuclear strike within 180 miles of Chinese territory? That's the distance of the furthest point in North Korea from China, most of it's a lot closer.

How would exposing the people of North Korea to nuclear fallout be any benefit to them?

The population density of North Korea is six times that of the USA, you can scarcely want to colonize the place.
i just feel they are a lot more dangerous. You know Dynamite comes in small packages.China may fool us all and join in.
spot

US agrees to pull out

Post by spot »

southern yankee;1030157 wrote: i just feel they are a lot more dangerous. You know Dynamite comes in small packages.China may fool us all and join in.

Apart from living in Propaganda Central, what reason do you have for thinking that North Korea is "a lot more dangerous"? Your own Administration took them off their list of Terrorist Nations only last week.
southern yankee

US agrees to pull out

spot;1030164 wrote: Apart from living in Propaganda Central, what reason do you have for thinking that North Korea is "a lot more dangerous"? Your own Administration took them off their list of Terrorist Nations only last week. a feeling i guess.
spot

US agrees to pull out

Post by spot »

southern yankee;1030174 wrote: a feeling i guess.

You want to see hundreds of thousands of dead North Koreans just because you have a feeling?

The easy way to work it out is from considering those two questions I asked which you didn't answer.

southern yankee

US agrees to pull out

spot;1030178 wrote: You want to see hundreds of thousands of dead North Koreans just because you have a feeling?

The easy way to work it out is from considering those two questions I asked which you didn't answer.

How would exposing the people of North Korea to nuclear fallout be any benefit to them? i never said attack them. One minute your on the list then you are off. Sounds like the reason the US went to Iraq.
spot

US agrees to pull out

Post by spot »

southern yankee;1030182 wrote: i never said attack them. One minute your on the list then you are off. Sounds like the reason the US went to Iraq.

What you said was "Walk silently, but carry a big stick. that stick will be nuclear" which sounds a lot like threatening a nuclear attack. It followed your saying "our eyes should be more on N.Korea" when guppy said "Afghanistan will be on the US target next". You see the link? Target? North Korea? Nuclear stick? It's your correcting guppy's "Afghanistan will be on the US target next" with a pointer to North Korea saying the US must "carry a big stick. that stick will be nuclear" which worries me.

Really, these two questions are the key to it.

If conditions in North Korea have no effect on the USA then why should the US strike North Korea with nuclear weapons?

If the US were to strike North Korea with nuclear weapons how would the people of North Korea benefit?
southern yankee

US agrees to pull out

just like Japan in WWII. So worried about Germany. but did not get involved until we were attacked. by who Japan
spot

US agrees to pull out

Post by spot »

southern yankee;1030238 wrote: just like Japan in WWII. So worried about Germany. but did not get involved until we were attacked. by who Japan

So, your fear of North Korea is that North Korea will attack the USA Homeland?

Do you think that's a serious possibility? Or even a remote possibility? Has North Korea the manpower? Has it any delivery system capable of doing damage to the US Homeland? Has it any warhead capable of mounting on a missile or any plane capable of flying that distance? What does this fear of North Korea consist of, in any believable scenario?
southern yankee

US agrees to pull out

spot;1030242 wrote: So, your fear of North Korea is that North Korea will attack the USA Homeland?

Do you think that's a serious possibility? Or even a remote possibility? Has North Korea the manpower? Has it any delivery system capable of doing damage to the US Homeland? Has it any warhead capable of mounting on a missile or any plane capable of flying that distance? What does this fear of North Korea consist of, in any believable scenario? David and Goliath
spot

US agrees to pull out

Post by spot »

southern yankee;1030265 wrote: David and Goliath

If you expanded your thoughts I might not have to guess so much.

Goliath, if I remember correctly, was over nine feet tall and possessed weapons superior to everyone else. Bronze helmet, scale armour weighing 125 pounds, a javelin on his back and a spear with a fifteen pound iron point.

For some incomprehensible reason this indestructible warrior decided to obliterate a just-grown kid as an example to the rest of the world, as a deterrent and to stop the kid from getting any stronger, even though the kid couldn't pose any danger even if he did grow.

If Goliath hadn't gone out and bellowed his challenge for all the rest to either submit to him or to send their best against him - a sort of ancient biblical "bring 'em on" - he'd have survived. But no, he was bigger than the rest put together, he had it all but he still wanted more.

Remind me what happened next, I'm sure you're trying to tell me something.

I'd much rather focus on the real questions.

southern yankee

US agrees to pull out

spot;1030273 wrote: If you expanded your thoughts I might not have to guess so much.

Goliath, if I remember correctly, was over nine feet tall and possessed weapons superior to everyone else. Bronze helmet, scale armour weighing 125 pounds, a javelin on his back and a spear with a fifteen pound iron point.

For some incomprehensible reason this indestructible warrior decided to obliterate a just-grown kid as an example to the rest of the world, a deterrent and to stop the kid from getting any stronger, even though the kid couldn't pose any danger even if he did grow.

If he'd not gone out and bellowed his challenge for all the rest to either submit to him or to send their best against him - a sort of ancient biblical "bring 'em on" - he'd have survived. But no, he was bigger than the rest put together, he had it all but he still wanted more.

Remind me what happened next, I'm sure you're trying to tell me something.

I'd much rather focus on the real questions.

How would exposing the people of North Korea to nuclear fallout be any benefit to them? We will agree to disagree. Good night Spot have a good one:)
spot

US agrees to pull out

Post by spot »

southern yankee;1030274 wrote: We will agree to disagree. Good night Spot have a good one:)

And David ran and stood over him. He took hold of the Philistine's sword and drew it from the scabbard. After he killed him, he cut off his head with the sword, and when the Philistines saw that their hero was dead they turned and ran.
spot

US agrees to pull out

Post by spot »

spot;1022959 wrote: Yes oscar, the Iraqis have surrendered in exchange for having all their demands met.

"Contractors, who have more men in Iraq than the US army, will no longer have immunity"? Hallelujah.

Tell me, did the US not build huge concrete barracks all over Iraq to hunker down in for the rest of the 21st Century? Wasn't there an $82 billion supplemental appropriations bill approved by Congress in May 2005 for the construction of "Contingency Operating Bases" - what used to be called "enduring bases" with four large permanent air bases - Tallil in the south, Al Asad in the west, Balad in the center and either Irbil or Qayyarah in the north? What am I getting wrong here? The plan was for a 100,000-strong permanent US presence in camps that qualified to all intents and purposes as US sovereign territory.

What on earth else have the buggers been entrenching themselves for all these years if not a permanent in-theatre roll-out forward arsenal anticipating Armageddon? Who lost the plot?
The deal's been signed, the Iraqis seem to have everything they wanted.
  • placing US forces in Iraq under the authority of the Iraqi governmentUS forces to leave the streets of Iraq's towns and villages by the middle of 2009US forces to hand over their bases to Iraq during the course of 2009US forces to lose the authority to raid Iraqi homes without an order from an Iraqi judge and permission of the government.

BBC NEWS | World | Iraq cabinet backs US troops deal
mikeinie

US agrees to pull out

Post by mikeinie »

I agreed to pull out as well…, but three kids later, who ya gone to believe???

:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

US agrees to pull out

Post by Oscar Namechange »

mikeinie;1102300 wrote: I agreed to pull out as well…, but three kids later, who ya gone to believe???

:yh_rotfl

They could just swallow it :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “International Politics”