Breeder's Cup countdown

Discuss all types of sports.
raptures_music

Breeder's Cup countdown

Post by raptures_music »

With the Breeder's Cup coming up toward the end of next month, what do the racing fans here on FG think of it all? Never mind the Curlin vs. Big Brown talk, there's actually a lot more to look at: all the races for fillies and mares (the ladies in racing) have been moved to Friday, the Distaff has been renamed the "Ladies Classic," the "dirt" races (like the Dirt Mile) will not actually be run on dirt, and all the new races like the Marathon. On top of all that, Santa Anita will host the BC races next year as well, something that has never been done before.

I personally believe it is rather sexist to move all the races for fillies and mares to Friday. No one is home to watch them; school and work are rather difficult to get away from. Also, this seems to imply that fillies and mares are less competitive than the colts, geldings and stallions, which is untrue. Nominating and then voting the Champion 3YO Filly is going to be extremely difficult this year.

For the past 20+ years, the Breeder's Cup's premier race for fillies and mares age 3 and older has been the Breeder's Cup Distaff. This year, it is no longer the Distaff, but the Ladies' Classic. I'm not too sure what I think about it. There's been a mixed reaction all over the industry and among the fanbase. On the one hand, it's not a bad name, but on the other, it doesn't have that nice ring to it. Then there's distance. A "classic" race is run at 1 1/4 miles (like the Classic and the Kentucky Derby), and the Distaff is run at 1 1/8 miles. The name is a bit of a misnomer.

As for racing on the synthetics, while I think it's a nice thing to do, I don't think the system is entirely foolproof. Injuries to both horses and jockeys still happen, and these synthetic surfaces stick to the horses' feet and give off fumes when they warm up. Fumes? That doesn't sound especially nice. Also, synthetics are still an unknown to owners, trainers, jockeys, and handicappers. Then there are races like the new Breeder's Cup Dirt Mile. The name alone suggests it is a dirt race. There's no point in having a dirt race when it's being run on something that clearly isn't dirt.

As for Santa Anita hosting the Breeder's Cup two years in a row, I do not agree with this move. The Breeder's Cup has always been moved to a different track every year. This break in tradition is about as (but not quite) offensive as moving all the filly/mare races to Friday. Woodbine Racecourse (located in Windsor, Ontario) has only hosted the Breeder's Cup once, and that was in 1996 when Cigar closed his career with a dull third in the Classic. Sure, the dirt races would be run over the synthetic Polytrack surface, but at least it would be at a different track. I would like to see the races return to Gulfstream Park in Florida, Woodbine Racecourse in Ontario, Arlington Park in Illinois, and Aqueduct Racetrack in New York.

Finally, the new races. The Dirt Mile, Filly and Mare Sprint, and Juvenile Turf were added last year (2007), and this year, they've added the Turf Sprint, Juvenile Filly Turf and Marathon. This is something I've embraced eagerly. The Marathon is of particular interest to me. It's run at 1 1/2 miles, the same distance as the Brooklyn Handicap and the Belmont Stakes. Most races run at that distance are contested on the turf. This might bring distance racing back to the forefront of American racing, seeing as we've become the "Land of Speed."

Enough of my thoughts. What do the racing enthusiasts here on FG think?
"Do or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
spot

Breeder's Cup countdown

Post by spot »

raptures_music;1000206 wrote: I personally believe it is rather sexist to move all the races for fillies and mares to Friday. No one is home to watch them; school and work are rather difficult to get away from. Also, this seems to imply that fillies and mares are less competitive than the colts, geldings and stallions, which is untrue.

We have the identical problem here in England every year at Wimbledon.

Much of your post seems focused on the showing of horses. Are they raced in buggies or with riders at the Breeder's Cup? Is it a local Texan event? If I look it up with Google I'll be artificially informed and I'd much rather pick the details up conversationally here.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
raptures_music

Breeder's Cup countdown

Post by raptures_music »

spot;1000209 wrote: We have the identical problem here in England every year at Wimbledon.

Much of your post seems focused on the showing of horses. Are they raced in buggies or with riders at the Breeder's Cup? Is it a local Texan event? If I look it up with Google I'll be artificially informed and I'd much rather pick the details up conversationally here.

The Breeder's Cup is for Thoroughbreds, so they carry riders. The location changes every year, but in 2008 and 2009, Santa Anita Racecourse in California will host the event. It's similar to the Royal Ascot meet in England.
"Do or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
ddimz

Breeder's Cup countdown

Post by ddimz »

i watched some of the horse stuff at the olympics... just about put me to sleep!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> My Vintage PC Games Blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LilacDragon

Breeder's Cup countdown

Post by LilacDragon »

FYI - Big Brown will not be attending the races. He was injured in training and while the injury is not life threatening, he won't be ready in time to run. He is being put out to stud early.
Sandi

K.Snyder

Breeder's Cup countdown

Post by K.Snyder »

I grew up around standard bred horses as we've discussed before...:yh_wink...

I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to the technicalities surrounding thorough bred horse racing so I'm afraid I cannot comment much on the Breeders Cup...

I have been wanting to revisit the local harness racing tracks here in Ohio(Lebanon Raceway and Scioto Downs) but haven't found the tie, nor the money to lose!!!!!!!!!...:wah:...Actually I do quite well when I'm at the harness racing tracks...

I'd be interested to hear about all of the new news circling around the stables of the Breeders Cup...If I'm not mistaken I think the event is coming up soon...

Return to “Wide World of Sports”