Why Make it Personal?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

As a moderator i take it as part of my job to try to keep threads from becoming about the poster instead of the subject!

I think it's very easy sometimes for us be it good or bad, to let what we think of the person whose thread we're on, influence how we respond to it!

What i would love to see is a happy content garden, where people respond to the subject of a post not the person who posted it, and if anyone has a problem with someone they simply don't go on their threads!

Is that so hard? :-6
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

Barman;964143 wrote: Damn, have i missed something.

Anyhow, i simply refuse to participate on this thread.:p

to late you're already here! :wah::wah:
flopstock

Why Make it Personal?

Post by flopstock »

The problem is that we start to see each other as friends or co-inhabitants(is that a word?) with personalities..

Our personality and emotion responds to the personality and emotion that we think we sense in that other person.

There are members that I tease at every opportunity. There are members that I like to try and tweak at every opportunity (hi spot and nomad...:sneaky:). There are members that I try to encourage at every opportunity. There are members I love to argue with because i know they can best me(hi koan and accountable..:o) and there are folks i try to never argue with because we absolutely always end up taking something the other says the wrong way..(hi red:-4)..

Unless we become a fact based posting system only, we have to accept our own human frailty and just attempt to control ourselves as best we can...

But, what do I know???
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

G-man

Why Make it Personal?

Post by G-man »

Hope6;964140 wrote: As a moderator i take it as part of my job to try to keep threads from becoming about the poster instead of the subject!

I think it's very easy sometimes for us be it good or bad, to let what we think of the person whose thread we're on, influence how we respond to it!

What i would love to see is a happy content garden, where people respond to the subject of a post not the person who posted it, and if anyone has a problem with someone they simply don't go on their threads!

I realize that over the years, you and I have had our share of drop-down, drag-out, no-holds-barred confrontations, but I've always tried to keep it from getting personal after the smoke has inevitably cleared, but not this time!

This is the final straw between us, Hope. I am so SICK AND TIRED AND FED UP with you and your threads and for always jumping in my threads and taking them off topic!!!... and the ONLY reason that I'm posting in this thread is purely out of spite!

And you wanna' know something else??? HUH??? I'm also going to give this thread a single star rating!!! That's right... you heard me!!! The gloves are off now!!! :mad::mad::mad:

:D

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

G-man

Why Make it Personal?

Post by G-man »

flopstock;964158 wrote: The problem is that we start to see each other as friends or co-inhabitants(is that a word?) with personalities..

Our personality and emotion responds to the personality and emotion that we think we sense in that other person.

There are members that I tease at every opportunity. There are members that I like to try and tweak at every opportunity (hi spot and nomad...:sneaky:). There are members that I try to encourage at every opportunity. There are members I love to argue with because i know they can best me(hi koan and accountable..:o) and there are folks i try to never argue with because we absolutely always end up taking something the other says the wrong way..(hi red:-4)..

Unless we become a fact based posting system only, we have to accept our own human frailty and just attempt to control ourselves as best we can...

But, what do I know???

I'm taking it personal, that you failed to mention my name amongst all the aforementioned disagreeable folks. If I could give you negative reputation right now, I would... and since I can't do that... let's just imagine that I am doing just that. So take that! You, you, you... ANGLE! :wah:

YZGI

Why Make it Personal?

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;964158 wrote: The problem is that we start to see each other as friends or co-inhabitants(is that a word?) with personalities..

But, what do I know???

I got one word for you ******!!!!!
theia

Why Make it Personal?

Post by theia »

Hope6;964140 wrote: As a moderator i take it as part of my job to try to keep threads from becoming about the poster instead of the subject!

Surely, Hope, each thread reflects the OP, unless it's a link without any comment (though perhaps even then)? I don't think any of us can easily hide certain parts of our personality on here or in real life...we surely wouldn't want threads that appeared to be "objective" without any of the usual interaction between people? Would we :confused:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
along-for-the-ride

Why Make it Personal?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

A "fact based" thread is all right at times, if we need information on a particular topic. But since we are real live people, we need to talk about emotions and opinions and thoughts and dreams sometimes too. We just need to remember to respect each other and know the art of disagreeing properly. In disagreements, you stay on the topic and do not digress to personal criticism. Simply put, treat someone like you yourself want to be treated. Think before you post. :)

This is just my two cents worth.;)

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

G-man;964164 wrote: I realize that over the years, you and I have had our share of drop-down, drag-out, no-holds-barred confrontations, but I've always tried to keep it from getting personal after the smoke has inevitably cleared, but not this time!

This is the final straw between us, Hope. I am so SICK AND TIRED AND FED UP with you and your threads and for always jumping in my threads and taking them off topic!!!... and the ONLY reason that I'm posting in this thread is purely out of spite!

And you wanna' know something else??? HUH??? I'm also going to give this thread a single star rating!!! That's right... you heard me!!! The gloves are off now!!! :mad::mad::mad:

:D

ummmmmmm g-man, i'm confused!

how could we be having fights and arguements for years when i've only been here 6 months? as for jumping in your threads and taking them off topic, i don't even remember going on any of your threads, actually these are the most words we have ever spoken to each other! :confused:
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

But, what do I know???

i understand what you're saying, and your right we will just have to control ourselves as best we can i guess!
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

theia;964249 wrote: Surely, Hope, each thread reflects the OP, unless it's a link without any comment (though perhaps even then)? I don't think any of us can easily hide certain parts of our personality on here or in real life...we surely wouldn't want threads that appeared to be "objective" without any of the usual interaction between people? Would we :confused:

you're right, but what i'm talking about is when people go on someones thread that they don't like just to make some kind of remark or something that a lot of times has nothing to do with the subject of the thread!
Kathy Ellen

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hope6;964553 wrote: ummmmmmm g-man, i'm confused!

how could we be having fights and arguements for years when i've only been here 6 months? as for jumping in your threads and taking them off topic, i don't even remember going on any of your threads, actually these are the most words we have ever spoken to each other! :confused:

Hello Hope:-6

How are ya....you know that gman is kidding you right....he's teasing:wah:
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

along-for-the-ride;964263 wrote: A "fact based" thread is all right at times, if we need information on a particular topic. But since we are real live people, we need to talk about emotions and opinions and thoughts and dreams sometimes too. We just need to remember to respect each other and know the art of disagreeing properly. In disagreements, you stay on the topic and do not digress to personal criticism. Simply put, treat someone like you yourself want to be treated. Think before you post. :)

Thank you AFTR, thats exactly what i'm talking about!

the disagreements should be on topic and not personal!
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

Kathy Ellen;964562 wrote: Hello Hope:-6

How are ya....you know that gman is kidding you right....he's teasing:wah:

Hi sweetheart! :-4

I'm fine how are you?

well i was hoping he was kidding! :wah::wah:
CARLA

Why Make it Personal?

Post by CARLA »

Hope6 G-man was kidding.. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nomad

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Nomad »

Hope6;964561 wrote: you're right, but what i'm talking about is when people go on someones thread that they don't like just to make some kind of remark or something that a lot of times has nothing to do with the subject of the thread!

Is that really so horrible ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Odie »

CARLA;964567 wrote: Hope6 G-man was kidding.. ;)

me to, ouch!:mad:
Life is just to short for drama.
G-man

Why Make it Personal?

Post by G-man »

Hope6;964565 wrote: Hi sweetheart!

I'm fine how are you?

well i was hoping he was kidding! :wah::wah:

Of course I was kidding... I may've overdid there in the first post, though. :o :p

I had nothing to do with the two star rating, either... some folks get worked up by such things.

Seriously, though... I never make it personal with folks... life is too short. I rarely allow anyone to get to me, nor do I harbor ill feelings towards another for any reason. What good does that do anyone?

Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

Nomad;964571 wrote: Is that really so horrible ?

it's not horrible if it's done in fun, but it shouldn't be done with a mean spirited attitude!
Odie

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Odie »

G-man;964582 wrote: Of course I was kidding... I may've overdid there in the first post, though. :o :p

I had nothing to do with the two star rating, either... some folks get worked up by such things.

Seriously, though... I never make it personal with folks... life is too short. I rarely allow anyone to get to me, nor do I harbor ill feelings towards another for any reason. What good does that do anyone?

you certainly did ovedue it there, not even a :wah: for folks to know it was a joke.
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

G-man;964582 wrote: Of course I was kidding... I may've overdid there in the first post, though. :o :p

you scared me for a minute there, I thought you were really mad at me, but i realized pretty quick that you were kidding so it's alright! :-6
Nomad

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Nomad »

Hope6;964585 wrote: it's not horrible if it's done in fun, but it shouldn't be done with a mean spirited attitude!

You dont see much of that around here.

Minksy, shes about the only one.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Odie »

Hope6;964589 wrote: you scared me for a minute there, I thought you were really mad at me, but i realized pretty quick that you were kidding so it's alright! :-6

wasn't at all nice the things that were said to you..........only later to say it was a joke!:sneaky:

I would never talk to a mod that way nor anyone else.
flopstock

Why Make it Personal?

Post by flopstock »

Hope6;964585 wrote: it's not horrible if it's done in fun, but it shouldn't be done with a mean spirited attitude!

Generally I agree with this... however some folks earn special treatment from me... don't they gonads????:sneaky::D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

Nomad;964592 wrote: You dont see much of that around here.

owwwwwwww Minks is gonna get you! :wah:
minks

Why Make it Personal?

Post by minks »

Nomad;964592 wrote: You dont see much of that around here.

Im Telling Im telling Im telling Nomad is baiting me, I have barely posted in like ages and look at that I read a thread and he baits me... you you you you rotter!!!

Aw Hope sorry I had a "moment"

I guess to contribute with reason and sensibility here I would think some people just like a good fight. Some folks are just confrontational....

But not me not any more to old for that. :D
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
minks

Why Make it Personal?

Post by minks »

PS never over look the power of this face >:D It often goes un-noticed that is a pretty good indicator that someone is joking around :D:D

― Mae West
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

[QUOTE=Odie;964594]wasn't at all nice the things that were said to you..........only later to say it was a joke!:sneaky:

I would never talk to a mod that way nor anyone else.[/QUOTE

thank you for that darlin, but it's alright really, i understand that it was just a joke! :-6
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

flopstock;964595 wrote: Generally I agree with this... however some folks earn special treatment from me... don't they gonads????:sneaky::D

i guess some people fall into that special catagory! :wah::wah:

but i'm sure it's still done in fun and there's nothing wrong with that! :-6
Odie

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Odie »

Hope6;964603 wrote: [QUOTE=Odie;964594]wasn't at all nice the things that were said to you..........only later to say it was a joke!:sneaky:

I would never talk to a mod that way nor anyone else.[/QUOTE

thank you for that darlin, but it's alright really, i understand that it was just a joke! :-6

:-4
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

Odie;964608 wrote: [QUOTE=Hope6;964603]

:-4

:yh_hugs :-4
WonderWendy3

Why Make it Personal?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Hiya Hope, unfortunately people are going to fight and find reasons to fight no matter how much we try to prevent it. I've been here for almost 2 years now and I've seen some doozies in my time, matter of fact, I walked in on a HUGE war of the roses of the garden.....

I'm glad you are a moderator, you have a sweet attitude and you are a peacemaker....people are people....we need to love them for who they are!:-4:-4
minks

Why Make it Personal?

Post by minks »

WonderWendy3;964613 wrote: Hiya Hope, unfortunately people are going to fight and find reasons to fight no matter how much we try to prevent it. I've been here for almost 2 years now and I've seen some doozies in my time, matter of fact, I walked in on a HUGE war of the roses of the garden.....

I'm glad you are a moderator, you have a sweet attitude and you are a peacemaker....people are people....we need to love them for who they are!:-4:-4

or ignore them :D

― Mae West
WonderWendy3

Why Make it Personal?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

minks;964616 wrote: or ignore them :D

but some people are VERY hard to ignore....you know those that live in Canada and follow you around with :D <<<----that guy

:wah::wah::wah:

PS....big hugs to Minksy!!!
minks

Why Make it Personal?

Post by minks »

WonderWendy3;964617 wrote: but some people are VERY hard to ignore....you know those that live in Canada and follow you around with :D

Well you know us Canadians, aren't known for much so we do our best :-4

― Mae West
WonderWendy3

Why Make it Personal?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

minks;964619 wrote: Well you know us Canadians, aren't known for much so we do our best :-4

You are known for your friendly ways about you!!:-4
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

WonderWendy3;964613 wrote: Hiya Hope, unfortunately people are going to fight and find reasons to fight no matter how much we try to prevent it. I've been here for almost 2 years now and I've seen some doozies in my time, matter of fact, I walked in on a HUGE war of the roses of the garden.....

thank you Wendy! :-4

yeah people have called me a peacemaker on here before, :wah::wah: thats what i would like to do everytime i see people arguing on here, i hate arguements and will not join in on one myself, but like you say people are people!
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

minks;964616 wrote: or ignore them :D

yeah my vote is for ignoring people that you have a problem with! :-6
kazalala

Why Make it Personal?

Post by kazalala »

along-for-the-ride;964263 wrote: A "fact based" thread is all right at times, if we need information on a particular topic. But since we are real live people, we need to talk about emotions and opinions and thoughts and dreams sometimes too. We just need to remember to respect each other and know the art of disagreeing properly. In disagreements, you stay on the topic and do not digress to personal criticism. Simply put, treat someone like you yourself want to be treated. Think before you post. :)

Excellent post Floppy:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

fuzzy butt;964778 wrote: HOw about you act as you would do in real life? I do . I've already had people comment on it, I dont' change. this is how I am . and this is how i betray myself within any community . (sorry to take the fanatasy away) whether it be here or in another forum as it is in real life, this is how i am .......................sorry.

As the saying goes ..........hmmm I've forgotten the saying as it is but .........why pretend? That's just stupid to me.:)

you know what i'm impressed about at the moment ? .....I can't remember the last time I wrote four two sylable words in conjunction together ......"as it is in "

Meh i'm easly amused .:D:p

yeah you're right, and i won't stand and argue with anyone in real life either, i walk away from the situation, i figure they can't argue by themselves but so long! :wah:
Hope6

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Hope6 »

kazalala;964818 wrote: Excellent post Floppy:D

Hi Kaz! :-4
Kathy Ellen

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Hope:-4

I try not to argue either....just walk away...but sometimes I get caught up in little brawls here and there...

I'd rather peace;)
Cow Patty

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Cow Patty »

Well I've been reading up and there have been quite a few good posts made about this Hope.....Great topic for discussion.

I just don't understand some folks around here. At times it feels like a bunch of elementary kids, why the need to tattle (report) on someone because you don't like what they posted. Profanity is different, but just a difference of opinion, come on folks, we're all adults here lets act like it. It amazes me how its so hard to agree to disagree and move on, some things get carried on forever.

Can't we live by the old adage our mothers and grandmothers taught us: If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.
Odie

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Odie »

Hope6;964612 wrote: [QUOTE=Odie;964608]

:yh_hugs :-4

unfortunately sometimes simple things can lead to arguments, pending on how someone takes it at that time. We all have our moods.

I find sometimes debating is good, but you really have to know your stuff.

but arguments, once started...............I try to ignore, it just stress's me out way to much, I come here for the fun, enjoyment, meeting others around the world, having great conversations and friends.

so I tend to try to shy away from some.............not saying I am good, far from it, everyone has their own opinions, and we should all try and respect them, even if we don't agree.

we can all be assholes at times! LOL!
Kathy Ellen

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Odie;964938 wrote: [quote=Hope6;964612]

unfortunately sometimes simple things can lead to arguments, pending on how someone takes it at that time. We all have our moods.

I find sometimes debating is good, but you really have to know your stuff.

but arguments, once started...............I try to ignore, it just stress's me out way to much, I come here for the fun, enjoyment, meeting others around the world, having great conversations and friends.

so I tend to try to shy away from some.............not saying I am good, far from it, everyone has their own opinions, and we should all try and respect them, even if we don't agree.

we can all be assholes at times! LOL!

:wah::wah:...good post....*******....my favorite word:-6 ..........my word was erased :confused::wah: It's such a good word...
Odie

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;964948 wrote: [quote=Odie;964938]

:wah::wah:...good post....*******....my favorite word:-6 ..........my word was erased :confused::wah: It's such a good word...

and I had said that one, but it didn't show when quoting:wah:
Kathy Ellen

Why Make it Personal?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Odie;965084 wrote: [quote=Kathy Ellen;964948]

and I had said that one, but it didn't show when quoting:wah:

:wah::wah: showed up when I highlighted it in red....love that word...says soooo much....:D
G-man

Why Make it Personal?

Post by G-man »

Kathy Ellen;964930 wrote: Hi Hope:-4

I try not to argue either....just walk away...but sometimes I get caught up in little brawls here and there...

I'd rather peace;)

Believe it or not, Kathy Ellen can handle herself quite well in a good ol' fashioned brawl. I remember this one time at some roadside honky-tonk in Texarkana... I'd better save that for another thread... don't wanna' take this one off topic. You know how Hope gets when we do that. :D

Return to “General Chit Chat”