storms could be brewing

What's the weather like today?
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Post by southern yankee »

Sounds like the Gulf coast will be in for some storms towards the end of the month. Hope we do not have to batton down the hatches!!:-3
abbey

storms could be brewing

Post by abbey »

Hope it is'nt too rough for you. :(
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

TS Fay will be near FL by Monday. we'll see what happens:-3
along-for-the-ride

storms could be brewing

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Looks like Fay maybe coming our way.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

[QUOTE=along-for-the-ride;954798]Looks like Fay maybe coming our way.

so where are you my dear?
Snidely Whiplash

storms could be brewing

Post by Snidely Whiplash »

southern yankee;954104 wrote: TS Fay will be near FL by Monday. we'll see what happens:-3

We live in central Florida.. They say Fay may get to category 1, but thats all...

Heck, that's barely enough to water the grass...... ;)

We're having party on tuesday for Fay..!! Hope she brings some beer...?? :D
along-for-the-ride

storms could be brewing

Post by along-for-the-ride »

southern yankee;954805 wrote: [QUOTE=along-for-the-ride;954798]Looks like Fay maybe coming our way.

so where are you my dear?

Southeast Georgia.............we may just get the rains...........we have to wait and see.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

i guess after Rita i get freaky everytime there is a storm coming. Katrina wasn't bad for us. But Rita and Lily was a different story.
Nomad

storms could be brewing

Post by Nomad »

12pm~Sunny

Temperature~84°F

Chance of Precipitation~10%

Dew Point~59°F

Humidity~43%

Wind~WSW 10 mph

Thank you

Nomad
I AM AWESOME MAN
flopstock

storms could be brewing

Post by flopstock »

how did this turn out for you dear?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

southern yankee

storms could be brewing

flopstock;955729 wrote: how did this turn out for you dear? looks like feeder bands are coming in now. into s. FLA. You can't tell with a storm she could decide to make dramatic turn in any direction. It ain't over until it's over:(
Kathy Ellen

storms could be brewing

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Be careful SouthernYankee....batten down the hatches...

I just spoke with my friends who lives west of Tampa, Florida, along the gulf. They're very nervous about this hurricane.

Take care and be safe:-6
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Kathy Ellen;955771 wrote: Be careful SouthernYankee....batten down the hatches...

I just spoke with my friends who lives west of Tampa, Florida, along the gulf. They're very nervous about this hurricane.

Take care and be safe:-6 i understand it is not a good feeling. anyone who lives near the gulf. just holds their breath this time of year. Sept and Oct is more busy.:(
Kathy Ellen

storms could be brewing

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I'm thinking about maybe moving to Florida along the gulf in the future....it's a bit scary though thinking about the hurricanes:confused:

But then again....we have our problems in Noo Joisey:D
sunny104

storms could be brewing

Post by sunny104 »

we went thru 4 hurricanes in Orlando in 2004. :thinking:

hope everyone's ok. :-6

It's been raining here and down in the bitter cold 80's. :D
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

sunny104;955786 wrote: we went thru 4 hurricanes in Orlando in 2004. :thinking:

hope everyone's ok. :-6

It's been raining here and down in the bitter cold 80's. :D 2005 is still in everyone's memory here. 2 was enough.:(
Kathy Ellen

storms could be brewing

Post by Kathy Ellen »

sunny104;955786 wrote: we went thru 4 hurricanes in Orlando in 2004. :thinking:

hope everyone's ok.

It's been raining here and down in the bitter cold 80's. :D

:wah::wah: stop rubbing it in Sunny....bitter cold 80s:wah:
sunny104

storms could be brewing

Post by sunny104 »

Kathy Ellen;955792 wrote: :wah::wah: stop rubbing it in Sunny....bitter cold 80s:wah:

:D it feels chilly, you kinda get used to the 100 degree temps....:wah:
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

sunny104;955818 wrote: :D it feels chilly, you kinda get used to the 100 degree temps....:wah: not me. would LOVE IT!:wah:
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

What's next for Fay?? sound like she will follow the gulf coast and come my way. then there is one more brewing that my weather man seems to think will be a BAD ONE. one can only wait it out:-3
Odie

storms could be brewing

Post by Odie »

Florida is known for the hurricanes..................would definately not want to ever live there..........or be a tourist there now.
Life is just to short for drama.
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Odie;961081 wrote: Florida is known for the hurricanes..................would definately not want to ever live there..........or be a tourist there now. i went through Katrina and Rita. It is NOT FUN:(:-1
Odie

storms could be brewing

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;961083 wrote: i went through Katrina and Rita. It is NOT FUN:(:-1

OMG, Katrina was far worse than any hurricane we have ever seen, devastion everywhere!
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Odie;961101 wrote: OMG, Katrina was far worse than any hurricane we have ever seen, devastion everywhere!
everyone says that about Katrina, but Rita is the forgotten storm. the news never talks about. a lot worse for me.
Snidely Whiplash

storms could be brewing

Odie;961081 wrote: Florida is known for the hurricanes..................would definately not want to ever live there..........or be a tourist there now.

I wouldn't trade living in Florida for all the snow in Colorado, or all the tea in China..!!!! :wah:

My plants are all so happy today after 18 or so inches of rain in the last couple of days...

Lol, I wouldn't trade watering my flowers all winter with shovelling the snow all winter in other parts of the country for anything...! A hurricane or two every few years is worth all the lovely weather we have all winter the rest of the time.....

It was sunny today.... Fay is out-a-here...! I cut the grass, and everything's back to normal...

;)
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Snidely Whiplash;961267 wrote: I wouldn't trade living in Florida for all the snow in Colorado, or all the tea in China..!!!! :wah:

My plants are all so happy today after 18 or so inches of rain in the last couple of days...

Lol, I wouldn't trade watering my flowers all winter with shovelling the snow all winter in other parts of the country for anything...! A hurricane or two every few years is worth all the lovely weather we have all winter the rest of the time.....

It was sunny today.... Fay is out-a-here...! I cut the grass, and everything's back to normal...

;) idon't miss digging my car out of snow drifts either:D
Nomad

storms could be brewing

Post by Nomad »

Announcement :

Old man winter is grappling his way to the front of the line.

DUCK !
I AM AWESOME MAN
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Nomad;961961 wrote: Announcement :

Old man winter is grappling his way to the front of the line.

DUCK ! my neck of the woods they have no clue about old man winter:wah:
Kathy Ellen

storms could be brewing

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Southern,

How do you stand the humidity? I don't mind the heat so much as long as I can escape to air con, but I can't take the huminity.....get all cranky and crabby.
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Kathy Ellen;962078 wrote: Southern,

How do you stand the humidity? I don't mind the heat so much as long as I can escape to air con, but I can't take the huminity.....get all cranky and crabby. i hate it!!! the only reason we are still in this tropical rain forest. hubby works in the oil field.:(
Kathy Ellen

storms could be brewing

Post by Kathy Ellen »

southern yankee;962089 wrote: i hate it!!! the only reason we are still in this tropical rain forest. hubby works in the oil field.:(

Good luck with the humidity. Did I read somewhere that you're from Chicago? How different is to to live in the south...do you like it better?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm thinking of moving south, maybe to Florida, in 5 years...
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Kathy Ellen;962091 wrote: Good luck with the humidity. Did I read somewhere that you're from Chicago? How different is to to live in the south...do you like it better?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm thinking of moving south, maybe to Florida, in 5 years... i love the winters and the people are very friendly. After living here for about 12 years we went to see hubby's grandma in So. IL. i had forgotten how RUDE the people could be up north. Everybody greets everyone here. everyone waves when you drive if they know you or not. :)
Kathy Ellen

storms could be brewing

Post by Kathy Ellen »

southern yankee;962101 wrote: i love the winters and the people are very friendly. After living here for about 12 years we went to see hubby's grandma in So. IL. i had forgotten how RUDE the people could be up north. Everybody greets everyone here. everyone waves when you drive if they know you or not. :)

That's nice...it was like that here and in Ireland years ago....now people don't even look at you when you pass them in the street.

storms could be brewing

Post by 911 »

Just don't live in a tourist attraction town. Orlando, Panama City, etc.

The Snow Birds will kill you.:mad:

We go to the shore every spring and winter and every winter at least one snow bird is run over by a car.

Couldn't pay me to live on the coast unless I had a plane and a place to go to everytime there's a storm.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

911;962107 wrote: Just don't live in a tourist attraction town. Orlando, Panama City, etc.

The Snow Birds will kill you.:mad:

We go to the shore every spring and winter and every winter at least one snow bird is run over by a car.

Couldn't pay me to live on the coast unless I had a plane and a place to go to everytime there's a storm. there is good and bad no matter where you live.:(:)
Kathy Ellen

storms could be brewing

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I have a special place that I'd like to move to in Florida if I can afford it. I would not like to live any other place except by the sea......no way...would rather find a way to put up with the storms.
Nomad

storms could be brewing

Post by Nomad »

southern yankee;962089 wrote: i hate it!!! the only reason we are still in this tropical rain forest. hubby works in the oil field.:(

You can live vicariously through me. Today its blue skies 70 and sunny.

Youre welcome

Nomad
I AM AWESOME MAN
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Nomad;962127 wrote: You can live vicariously through me. Today its blue skies 70 and sunny.

Youre welcome

Nomad raining here 76. i live about 70 miles from the coast. but we are surrounded by water where i live. the Atchafalaya Basin and lake Pelba. i live on a peninsula
Snidely Whiplash

storms could be brewing

Kathy Ellen;962126 wrote: I have a special place that I'd like to move to in Florida if I can afford it.

Where would that place be...? :)

We love to go down to the Key's and Key west, and we have several really beautiful places along those islands that we'd like to live someday..... I could live there forever, weather any huricanes, and be in heaven........! :-6
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Snidely Whiplash;963051 wrote: Where would that place be...? :)

We love to go down to the Key's and Key west, and we have several really beautiful places along those islands that we'd like to live someday..... I could live there forever, weather any huricanes, and be in heaven........! :-6 have you ever been through a huricane?? it is not fun at all. no air or water for about a week. you go out like everyone else to find water and ice. then you hope you have enough gas to keep your generator going. so you don;t loose all your meat in freezer. the clean up is hell. i promise you it is not FUN,:(:-1
Snidely Whiplash

storms could be brewing

southern yankee;963067 wrote: have you ever been through a huricane?? it is not fun at all. no air or water for about a week. you go out like everyone else to find water and ice. then you hope you have enough gas to keep your generator going. so you don;t loose all your meat in freezer. the clean up is hell. i promise you it is not FUN,:(:-1

From Wikipedia, The 2004 Atlantic hurricane season officially began on June 1, 2004, and lasted until November 30, 2004. These dates conventionally delimit the period of each year when most tropical cyclones form in the Atlantic basin. However, the 2004 season exceeded these conventional limits slightly, as Tropical Storm Otto formed on the last day of the season and lasted two days into December. The season was well above average in activity, with fifteen named storms and one of the highest Accumulated Cyclone Energy totals ever observed.

The season was notable as one of the deadliest and most costly Atlantic hurricane seasons on record, with at least 3,132 deaths and roughly $50 billion (2004 US dollars) in damage. The most notable storms for the season were the five named storms that made landfall in the U.S. state of Florida, three of them with at least 115 mph (185 km/h) sustained winds: Tropical Storm Bonnie, Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne. This is the only time in recorded history that four hurricanes affected the U.S. State of Florida. Jeanne wreaked havoc in Haiti, killing approximately 3,000 people, while Ivan raged through Grenada, Jamaica, and the Cayman Islands; Frances and Jeanne both hit the Bahamas at full force, while Charley caused significant damage in Cuba. Floodwaters in the southeastern United States were brought to near-record levels.

Actually, if you like storms, which I do, it's a really awesome, yet humbling experience............

I watched in they're entirety hurricanes and tropical storms Bonnie, Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne that all aimed a bulls eye over us in 2004, hurricanes of category 3-4 if I'm not mistaken.... And yes, power was out for a week, as well as water...

I'll tell you something though....... The aftermath of those hurricanes was in ways a wonderful experience....... With no power or modern conveniences, we opened all the windows in the house, and it was amazing, you could here every sound from a mile around.... At night we sat with candles and read and talked, like people were designed to do, not pluged into they're Ipods and computers.... You could hear every sound of nature, every dog, cat and animal that walked past, every locust and cicada calling for a mate at night, every frog croaking at the nearby pond.... You could hear neighbors conversations 3 houses away, and it was an intimate, amazing week getting to know the real world that we have lived in here, but were always too busy or ignorant to stop and pay attention to it.... My wife and I constantly commented about how things must have been like this 100 years ago.... And we agreed that's why families were strong and close in those days, unlike many today....

So fear a hurricane if you want and stay far away..........

Or experience it and let it move your soul........

I love living here...!!! :)
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Snidely Whiplash;963553 wrote: Actually, if you like storms, which I do, it's a really awesome, yet humbling experience............

I watched in they're entirety hurricanes and tropical storms Bonnie, Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne that all aimed a bulls eye over us in 2004, hurricanes of category 3-4 if I'm not mistaken.... And yes, power was out for a week, as well as water...

I'll tell you something though....... The aftermath of those hurricanes was in ways a wonderful experience....... With no power or modern conveniences, we opened all the windows in the house, and it was amazing, you could here every sound from a mile around.... At night we sat with candles and read and talked, like people were designed to do, not pluged into they're Ipods and computers.... You could hear every sound of nature, every dog, cat and animal that walked past, every locust and cicada calling for a mate at night, every frog croaking at the nearby pond.... You could hear neighbors conversations 3 houses away, and it was an intimate, amazing week getting to know the real world that we have lived in here, but were always too busy or ignorant to stop and pay attention to it.... My wife and I constantly commented about how things must have been like this 100 years ago.... And we agreed that's why families were strong and close in those days, unlike many today....

I love living here...!!! :)OMG!! if i could get out of here. never to live through another one. After Rita. we were ate alive by skeeters. There were Poisonous snakes everywhere. Coming out of the basin. It was so terribly hot and sticky. in the high 90's heat index over 105-110.. not a breeze. After 5 days. were able to take a shower. at my dad's he had water. I was told. that i had to come to work. or would be fired. all 33 employees showed up all dirty and exhausted. i worked in a day care at the time. we had 5 kids that day. So you can enjoy them all you want. i find them to be a cruse. i think if this season turns out to be a bad one. my hubby and i will be selling and heading farther north. like so. AR or N. La. Because his work is oil field. so we have to be within a 8 hour drive for him. he works 2 weeks a month off shore.
Odie

storms could be brewing

Post by Odie »

Snidely Whiplash;963553 wrote: Actually, if you like storms, which I do, it's a really awesome, yet humbling experience............

I love living here...!!! :)

you gotta be sick to love storms!:-5
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Odie;963601 wrote: you gotta be sick to love storms!:-5 i agree. now with new one brewing out there (starts with a G) this one if it keeps on going like it is. No changes in direction. it will be a bulls eye. For La. But i have heard by Sat. night. should know more. I HATE THIS TIME OF YEAR> SOOO STRESSFUL!!:confused::(:-1:-2
Snidely Whiplash

storms could be brewing

Odie;963601 wrote: you gotta be sick to love storms!:-5

Guess all weather forecast reporters, climatologists, metiorologists, storm forcasters, tornado storm chasers, climate scientists and countless others around the world who have dedicated their lives to weather and storm activity and the millions of others of us ordinary people that are interested in weather and storms must also be sick.....????

With all due respect, there are natural dangers everywhere, if it isn't a hurricane once in a while, it's a tornado, or a forest fire, or flood or earthquake.......

Most everyone here is subject to some natural threat once in a while.....

At least with a hurricane, theres days if not a week of warning and time to prepare, and if you do that, it can be more like a camping trip for a few days in the safety of your own house, rather that some horrible "without any warning" disaster.....

There's nothing more awesome or beautiful than watching a major storm forming and rolling in on top of you.... It's not something sick, it's a natural work of art....
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Gustav is on his way.we live about 175 miles from N.O. We live about 1/2 miles from levies. This is a big worry. But we are going to stay. we have too many four legged kids to take with us. plus we worry about our ill family members. we would leave behind.:(:confused::thinking::-3
Odie

storms could be brewing

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;967096 wrote: Gustav is on his way.we live about 175 miles from N.O. We live about 1/2 miles from levies. This is a big worry. But we are going to stay. we have too many four legged kids to take with us. plus we worry about our ill family members. we would leave behind.:(:confused::thinking::-3

we have been worried about you, thank god your alright, keep safe hun!
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

Odie;967116 wrote: we have been worried about you, thank god your alright, keep safe hun! looks like Tues. Morning now. Get this it will hit the same day Katrina hit. then there is another one behind him. just like Rita was.:(:-1:confused::-3:-2
shelbell

storms could be brewing

Post by shelbell »

southern yankee;955831 wrote: not me. would LOVE IT!:wah:

Hey girl, clean out your mailbox...I can't send you a PM. :-6
southern yankee

storms could be brewing

shelbell;967227 wrote: Hey girl, clean out your mailbox...I can't send you a PM. :-6sorry hun wasn't on for awhile. i did

Return to “Weather Station”