What does it mean to be Swift-Boated?

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

Accountable;908122 wrote: What does it mean to be Swift-Boated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiftboating

Swiftboating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it this..?
spot

Post by spot »

I expect it means to deflect public debate from current events to something capable of re-interpretation from the past, where every time the topic is brought up by either side it's a win for the opposition.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

The term seems to have taken on different meanings, depending on if you liked Kerry or not. To some it means dragging up any old trivia to try and sully a reputation. To some it's an organized and well-funded campaign of lies. To some it is pointing out the truth despite overwhelming efforts to squelch it.

The term is coming up sometimes with this presidential campaign. "Do you think he's at risk of being Swift-boated?" and such as that. It's hard for me to tell whether it's a positive or negative term.
spot

Post by spot »

Given that the original Swift-Boat campaign was a shoddy slur on a brave man I'd have thought it was pretty negative, myself.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;908919 wrote: Given that the original Swift-Boat campaign was a shoddy slur on a brave man I'd have thought it was pretty negative, myself.
That's one opinion. The power of the pen (creative writing) can turn trivia into a Bronze Star. I'm not convinced either way.
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;908932 wrote: That's one opinion. The power of the pen (creative writing) can turn trivia into a Bronze Star. I'm not convinced either way.

I'm not talking about what the wretched man did in Vietnam.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;908938 wrote: i'm Not Talking About What The Wretched Man Did In Vietnam.
:-2
Clint

Post by Clint »

I don't think we need to worry about it in this election. McCain's service is too well documented (you were either a POW or you weren't) and Obama doesn't have any service to discredit.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Clint;930967 wrote: I don't think we need to worry about it in this election. McCain's service is too well documented (you were either a POW or you weren't) and Obama doesn't have any service to discredit.
They've already toyed with the idea. If I remember right, a couple months ago they drug up a guard or officer from the Hanoi Hilton to say he was a really nice guy & they had lots of philosophical conversations or something like that.
Clint

Post by Clint »

Accountable;931038 wrote: They've already toyed with the idea. If I remember right, a couple months ago they drug up a guard or officer from the Hanoi Hilton to say he was a really nice guy & they had lots of philosophical conversations or something like that.

Philosophical conversations! Who in their right political mind would do such a thing?:wah:
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

funny:

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”