The Friendship

Escape the rat race and slip on into Pub Nutters Inn.
spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

I have, as it happens, quite liked the idea of managing a pub. Opening one here might be part of the learning process.

The problem with opening one in town is - and I've worked the spreadsheets to check - a matter of getting enough turnover to cover the staff expenses. A pub (in England at any rate) tends to be an urban affair with most of its clientèle living within walking distance. An inn, by contrast, is a village or rural place, often near running water and a road junction. Where an inn exists now in an urban environment it's because it used to be a place where coaches picked up, set down and changed horses. The call for urban inns has long since past.

But a rural inn, which has guests who travel to reach it, is the right model for The Friendship. Since I'm designing it I'll describe it. There's a Public Bar, a Lounge, the manager's Snug, a couple of back rooms for hire or for private parties and a long bar upstairs which gets opened when there's a lot of custom or for a live music night with a booked band. The ground floor rooms are all stone-flagged, stone-walled with a white wash, sparse decoration, an upright piano, some instruments on the wall which are playable (several bodhran and violas, a couple of violins, a set of Northumbrian pipes, an upright double bass with a bow in a holster, penny whistles, a flute and, incongruously, a saxophone and a clarinet). The upper floor is wood-floored, shelved for books. All the floors are spread with coarse sawdust before opening and swept after closing which gives a distinctive resiny smell to the place. The toilets are outdoors, the lighting is poor, the staff have cudgels in reach behind the bars. There are dartboards, darts and cards and dominoes behind the bar and a few cribbage boards for older visitors who know what to do with them. One door leads to an indoor alley equipped for Nine Man's Morris. There are many heavy wooden tables which easily seat eight at their benches, a few smaller tucked into corners, occasional chairs to adjust matters as needed. None of the bars have barstools, all have brass footrests.

We stock a surprisingly wide range of bitters and mild ales, lager alcohol-free and otherwise, cider (sweet or still), barley wines, assorted apple spirits, wines by the bottle (we're not prepared to serve by the glass but we do supply a house red and a house white by the jug), spirits and mixers.

The staff will refuse more alcohol to anyone they consider to be fighting drunk though they'll continue to serve them refreshments.

We have snacks, we have a dining area, we have a chef, we have a substantial plat du jour immediately available for any traveller in need of a meal.

Ladies and gentlemen, The Friendship is now open for business. The proprietor is anxious to interview staff and serve you right.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
minks

The Friendship

Post by minks »

will you be in direct competition with Bothwells????
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

Competition in what sense, minksy? There'll be as many posts in Bothwell's Pub as ever, I'd have thought. I don't see the existence of a second pub on ForumGarden as competition any more than having an inn out in the countryside would reduce the trade in a town centre pub. If it turns out that ForumGarden's denizens can't summon up the posts needed to support two pubs then I'm sure this one will wither, dry up, cease business and fade into oblivion. Bothwells Pub is far too long established and built into the fabric of the site to be in any danger of closing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
minks

The Friendship

Post by minks »

spot;884532 wrote: Competition in what sense, minksy? There'll be as many posts in Bothwell's Pub as ever, I'd have thought. I don't see the existence of a second pub on ForumGarden as competition any more than having an inn out in the countryside would reduce the trade in a town centre pub. If it turns out that ForumGarden's denizens can't summon up the posts needed to support two pubs then I'm sure this one will wither, dry up, cease business and fade into oblivion. Bothwells Pub is far too long established and built into the fabric of the site to be in any danger of closing.

well brave man if you can make this one a go and we can keep the other afloat then I think you are on to something. I just wondered what would happen to either if both were running on similar context... or do you think some people will sit in one with a certain sect while others visit the other... and next thing we know we have rivalry's, and gossip, and he said's and she said's Oh My Oh My the complication of it all....

Oh never mind. knock yourself out Spot it could be fun :wah:

― Mae West
spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

As it happens I once worked full time as a barman in a city pub for about six months - I ran bar shifts for years in a company club too. At the pub I ran my shifts in charge of the Public, I got to know my regulars, I called in extra staff when the load was too much for one person and if it quietened I helped out in the Lounge for a few minutes when they needed it. I often walked the three miles home after midnight when I'd finished cleaning up after we closed. I can pull pints, I can mix cocktails, I can talk the talk when someone new's at the bar and needs to socialize. People would spend some time in my Public while being regulars at other pubs too. The idea of dropping into more than one venue of an evening surely can't be that unusual.
minks

The Friendship

Post by minks »

spot;884555 wrote: As it happens I once worked full time as a barman in a city pub for about six months - I ran bar shifts for years in a company club too. At the pub I ran my shifts in charge of the Public, I got to know my regulars, I called in extra staff when the load was too much for one person and if it quietened I helped out in the Lounge for a few minutes when they needed it. I often walked the three miles home after midnight when I'd finished cleaning up after we closed. I can pull pints, I can mix cocktails, I can talk the talk when someone new's at the bar and needs to socialize. People would spend some time in my Public while being regulars at other pubs too. The idea of dropping into more than one venue of an evening surely can't be that unusual.

well then your experience speaks volumes and yes you are quite right more than one place to stop in for some R & R is a fine idea.... Bring on the grand opening of "The Friendship"

― Mae West
CARLA

The Friendship

Post by CARLA »

Spot are women allowed in the "Nine Man's Morris". :D What the heck is it I'm game. :cool: pass me a Guinness cheers to "The Friendship". :yh_peace
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

along-for-the-ride

The Friendship

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Spot, is this what you have in mind?:) I'll have an "old-fashion"..but first you have to tell me what's in it?

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Mustang

The Friendship

Post by Mustang »

Stopping in to have a shot and a beer with Spot. :D Nice to see another inn being started up.
spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

Some people might call it Skittles but on ForumGarden that's not a word to be used lightly. Mixed teams are fine, we're not prejudiced any longer. We'll use my local rules if that's alright, I'll adapt them from the Portishead Pill and District League Rules, they're simple enough. Here's the Guinness, we only have draught not bottled, we don't serve halves, we only serve it slightly chilled but don't tell the suppliers or they'll refuse to deliver.

An Old-Fashioned for AFTR... the right glass inverted, dip it into the saucer of sweet cooking sherry, then into the sugar bowl, then turn it the right way up, two ice cubes, a double measure of brandy and two dashes of Angostura Bitters, a twist of lemon peel on the rim. That'll be three and eight please if you're paying for the both of you.

The nearest to a shot we stock would be Jack Daniels and I think you'd best have a cold Fosters, English beer wouldn't really go. One and ten please.
Mustang

The Friendship

Post by Mustang »

The nearest to a shot we stock would be Jack Daniels and I think you'd best have a cold Fosters, English beer wouldn't really go. One and ten please.

Thank you kind sir! :) *mustang places the cash on the bar, plus a tip*
CARLA

The Friendship

Post by CARLA »

Maybe another Guinness for me kind sir, then I might understand what the heck the game is all about. ;)

[QUOTE]Portishead Pill and District League Rules, they're simple enough.[/QUOTE] :-2
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

The Rob

The Friendship

Post by The Rob »

I'll make it easy on you, sir. Two fingers of Teacher's and I promise to use all ten before I'm done. :D
RedGlitter

The Friendship

Post by RedGlitter »

It sounds good, Spot. I'll just have a sarsaparilla and can I interest you in a game of dominoes??
minks

The Friendship

Post by minks »

how about darts?

Attached files

― Mae West
AussiePam

The Friendship

Post by AussiePam »

Hic.. The mythical London bus plonked me outside this new looking watering hole. Who could resist one with a name like "Friendship"... so who's buying the next round?
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

minks

The Friendship

Post by minks »

AussiePam;884799 wrote: Hic.. The mythical London bus plonked me outside this new looking watering hole. Who could resist one with a name like "Friendship"... so who's buying the next round?

looks lovely in here don't it AP. I may have to bring some of my rowdy friends around.

I shall buy this round.

Cheers

― Mae West
G-man

The Friendship

Post by G-man »

Nice place ya' got 're Spot! A nice, dry martini would hit the spot (shaken NOT stirred, of course) . :D

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

I'm not one, when producing a dry martini, to merely show the vermouth to the glass, I do actually pour. Hearts full of youth, hearts full of truth, Six parts gin to one part vermouth - that's what I was taught at primary school and it's stood me in good stead ever since. AND one firm juicy black olive the way teacher insisted was proper - stoned but not stuffed, sans umbrella. We have small tight lightly pickled cocktail onions if you'd rather, just let me know. As we go our sordid separate ways we shall ne'er forget thee, thou golden college days.

One sarsaparilla on a lot of ice, crushed rather than cube. A refill for Carla, you'll find her in the alley deciding what balls she's most comfortable holding and how many lights she should turn on or off to get the mood right. Two fingers of the Highland Cream, unmolested which is the only proper way though there's a jug of spring water on the bar for those who prefer to.

The bar staff, and that includes the manager, by tradition avoid taking part in games of chance while on shift Red, though when I'm relieved I'll be honoured to get the tiles out and invite you through to the Snug for a hand or two if you're free.

Here's four sets of arrows minks, a pint of best for you and your Aussie friend on the house and that's three and tuppence for the rest. Slanj!
kayleneaussie

The Friendship

Post by kayleneaussie »

Do you have Johnnie Walker scotch kind Sir ?
FOC THREAD PART 1
spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

kayleneaussie;884824 wrote: Do you have Johnnie Walker scotch kind Sir ?

We have the Red Label, the Black Label, the Swing Superior 86 proof, the 12 year old Green Label, the 15 year old Gold Label or the 18 year old Blue Label, we have two varieties produced locally in Thailand without the benefit of assistance from the original makers and a finally a curious offering from Hong Kong labelled Johnny Waker Guaranteed Old Highland 100 Proof which is actually red in colour and startling on the taste buds to say the least. That last one we serve on ice.
mrsK

The Friendship

Post by mrsK »

I'll have a Toohey's or two :sneaky:thanks,money is on the bar.

Any chance of some salted mixed nuts with my beer please?
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
kayleneaussie

The Friendship

Post by kayleneaussie »

Johnny Walker Blue on the rocks...cubes please:)
FOC THREAD PART 1
spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

Hiya mrsK, yes we have pils in the fridge, Extra Dry if you want to go into the garden and watch the canal boats go through the lock, or plain on tap. Here, you might as well start on that, you look like you've a thirst on. You'll find nuts, salted, mixed, put out on the bar and topped up when they get low.

One Johnny Walker Blue on spring water ice, there's a jug of iced water to your right and more ice in the fancy silver thermos at the far end, that's one and threpence.

Right, I'm off invigilating again, I'll be in as and when. Minks can come behind the bar and serve if she has a bit of free time til I'm back.
kayleneaussie

The Friendship

Post by kayleneaussie »

mrsK;884830 wrote: I'll have a Toohey's or two :sneaky:thanks,money is on the bar.

Any chance of some salted mixed nuts with my beer please?

Hi MrsK1, mind if I join you :)
FOC THREAD PART 1
mrsK

The Friendship

Post by mrsK »

kayleneaussie;884834 wrote: Hi MrsK1, mind if I join you :)

Not a problem,nothing like having a cold beer after a hard days work:)
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
AussiePam

The Friendship

Post by AussiePam »

Thanks for the drink, Spot - I went out in the garden by the canal. Reminded me of a pub I know by the lock in Camden Town.

OOOOoo there;s nobody behind the bar. (Pam gracefully hurdles the counter - her fifteen inch black stiletto heels deftly carving her initials in passing). Right while the cat's away - any mice want some vintage champers??? I've found Bolly, the Widow, Dom P...

And there's even some Nobbys Nuts for MrsK to nibble...

RedGlitter

The Friendship

Post by RedGlitter »

Ms. Pam, could you pass me the jar of cocktail onions when no one's looking? I love those little things!!:D
AussiePam

The Friendship

Post by AussiePam »

There's three boxes of them behind the bar, RG - I'm sure a box of so won't be missed... :sneaky: I've found the chocolate bar store too - and the bar GoldCard. We could order in pizza?!!!!

RedGlitter

The Friendship

Post by RedGlitter »

Pizza works because I think the chef may have left for the night- no anchovies please, extra cheese! In the meantime, I'll just polish the dots on these here dominoes and wait for Spot's return.
AussiePam

The Friendship

Post by AussiePam »

We're all playin dommies in the bar... great song by the Singing Postman, up NOrfolk way...

grin.

(Pam winks at RG and chomps into her delicious basil and bocconcini pizza)

Trunk Monkey

The Friendship

Post by Trunk Monkey »

Sounds like a fun place to work. May I set up an interview with the proprietor. I am hard working and willing to accept any open position. :-6
SlipStream

The Friendship

Post by SlipStream »

good place for an holodeck:):wah:
Cow Patty

The Friendship

Post by Cow Patty »

Good Morning Friends.

**Walking into the cooler to see if I can find any of that left over pizza for breakfast this morning***

TM, I think I saw a sign on the door that said Security Officer Needed. You've had training....right?.

spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

Children, children, I'm still.... STILL.... invigilating this exam! - it finishes in five minutes.

Put your IOUs in the till, if I don't get the books to balance I'll have to shut up shop.

We'll work out how to organize shifts eventually. For the moment I've made all the Moderators de facto bartenders, that ought to cover us for a few days.
Cow Patty

The Friendship

Post by Cow Patty »

Oooppps...here you go spot.

I also put a tip jar at the end of the counter for you and the other moderator-bartenders....hope thats OK.

CARLA

The Friendship

Post by CARLA »

:wah: I resemble that now pass me another kinds sir, you see I can drink most people under the table that is where I will be waiting for them. :D

[QUOTE]A refill for Carla, you'll find her in the alley deciding what balls she's most comfortable holding and how many lights she should turn on or off to get the mood right. [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

Guinness is good for you. One and four please.

The alley suits you?

The tips are all destined for one of the Karuna Trust's Pune Projects, it's intended for empowering women and helping them toward a stable livelihood which seems very effective. It's not large but it's stable and it's been running for quite a while. England has strange traditions as far as bar-keeping goes. A customer can invite the bartender to put one in for later which is acceptable, or to do the customer the honour of joining him or her in a drink which is acceptable, but it's a two-way thing in that good bartenders will say no it's quite alright thank you they already have one, half the time, and they try to balance it out with pulling the first pint for free if it's a regular who habitually offers to buy one in now and then. There, aren't we strange over here.
Trunk Monkey

The Friendship

Post by Trunk Monkey »

*TM comes in and sees Carla under the table. She decides to slide under and join her.* "Bartender, could we please have 2 more pints of Guiness please?"
SlipStream

The Friendship

Post by SlipStream »

:Dthe friendship pool need swimmers
Trunk Monkey

The Friendship

Post by Trunk Monkey »

Before I go swimming, I saw this sign on the door What kind of help are you hiring Spot?
spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

Not every pub has its own pool, you ought to be impressed.

Two pints of Guinness.... what is it about Guinness that so entrances Americans? I'm slightly puzzled by that. We have barrels of various real ales here, all properly flat and tepid to delight the discerning palate.

Two and eight please.

The Friendship immediately needs someone to book live bands for the long bar, someone to DJ up there occasionally for weddings, and one of the customers would doubtless like to write to the league and get us booked for a few practice skittles sessions against the local competition. Whoever does that had better get the Friendship A team together as well.

My immediate preference, for reasons of long standing, is to book the Manic Street Preachers for some Tuesday night in August.
G-man

The Friendship

Post by G-man »

Sounds cool, Spot! I don't mind performing for a bit here and there for beer, until ya' find a regular performer. I've even performed a time or two as a one man folk show playing acoustic guitar. It would be much more fun performing in a group with the local talent, though. Have we got any more musicians here willing to join in? :guitarist

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

spot

The Friendship

Post by spot »

The only acoustic act I've booked so far is Paul Simon, he's touring the UK in November and I sent him photos of the long bar and told him how enthusiastic the locals would be. He loves small venues. What we might do is run an open mic night once a week though, perhaps some of them could focus on bluegrass? Believe me, it's better than sea shanties.
Cow Patty

The Friendship

Post by Cow Patty »

Spot, can you tell the what the lunch special is today?
Trunk Monkey

The Friendship

Post by Trunk Monkey »

G-man;885298 wrote: Sounds cool, Spot! I don't mind performing for a bit here and there for beer, until ya' find a regular performer. I've even performed a time or two as a one man folk show playing acoustic guitar. It would be much more fun performing in a group with the local talent, though. Have we got any more musicians here willing to join in? :guitarist

I can play the organ! OMG...that didn't come out right:wah: I meant the electric organ. Also good on the harmonica (must be running my mouth that makes me good at that). So.....G-man, can I join the band?
Trunk Monkey

The Friendship

Post by Trunk Monkey »

Sorry to double post but I would like the job as booking agent for live acts. I have contacts that could help in this area ;)
CARLA

The Friendship

Post by CARLA »

I will quit drinking if I can be the Pool Life Guard I have been one before and I have my Certificate and CPR training up to date. :D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Trunk Monkey

The Friendship

Post by Trunk Monkey »

CARLA;885555 wrote: I will quit drinking if I can be the Pool Life Guard I have been one before and I have my Certificate and CPR training up to date. :D

I'm ready to swim:-6 Just have to find the pool :wah:
CARLA

The Friendship

Post by CARLA »

Me to I guess well just have to start sniffing for chlorine. :p

[QUOTE]I'm ready to swim Just have to find the pool [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Pub Nutters Inn”