meanwhile in a country without oil

gmc

Post by gmc »

those who want freedom and democracy keep on fighting in their own way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 38145.html

Mr Ndira's body was only found by accident in one of the capital's morgues a fortnight ago. His eyes had been gouged out and his tongue cut off. The 30-year-old was so badly beaten his father had trouble identifying him. A distinctive ring confirmed the identity of a man compared by some to South Africa's murdered rights activist, Steve Biko.

Steve Biko, if you remember was one one of these strange anti-apartheid terrorists time terrorist in south africa who advocated non violence as a way of fighting oppression.

Apartheid — both petty and grand — is obviously evil. Nothing can justify the arrogant assumption that a clique of foreigners has the right to decide on the lives of a majority"
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

God help them, I hope sense breaks out in South Africa and the government there finally decides to stop Mugabe's rein of terror.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
spot

Post by spot »

It'll be interesting to see how Zimbabwe develops once he's left the political scene.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
suzy_creamcheese

Post by suzy_creamcheese »

i dont get why the west governments wont intervene when there are such human rights atrocities constantly, so much worse than other things theyve used as an excuse to intervene for
gmc

Post by gmc »

suzy_creamcheese;880451 wrote: i dont get why the west governments wont intervene when there are such human rights atrocities constantly, so much worse than other things theyve used as an excuse to intervene for

Because the western governments are also the old colonial powers. Countries need to be able to sort out their own mess. African countries are no different. If any outsider should interfere it should be a country like south africa. Mugabe will eventually be overthrown. For western powers to go back in-well how long do you want our troops to be in there.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Not only should Mugabe fall but he should be tried as a criminal...
spot

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;880520 wrote: Not only should Mugabe fall but he should be tried as a criminal...

Do Heads of State not have immunity from criminal prosecution other than for crimes against humanity?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;880529 wrote: Do Heads of State not have immunity from criminal prosecution other than for crimes against humanity?

Surely it can be proved that he has committed crimes against humanity...
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;880529 wrote: Do Heads of State not have immunity from criminal prosecution other than for crimes against humanity?

Depends on what kind of dictator they've been. Pinochet no, saddam hussein yes, idi amin no, milosovic yes. you may see a pattern I wouldn't care to comment. the other thing is that having ousted the said dictator his successors can't recover the money he stashed away prior to departure, Mugabe allegedly has millions stashed ready for when he has to leave. loans made still have to be repaid.

Now if you or I launder money it's a criminal offence, if a head of state does it it's his and everybody turns a blind eye.

posted by K Snyder

Surely it can be proved that he has committed crimes against humanity...

Best to let the Ugandans deal with it. But what to do if he takes refuge in a foreign country-say saudi arabia like amin did.
freetobeme

Post by freetobeme »

suzy_creamcheese;880451 wrote: i dont get why the west governments wont intervene when there are such human rights atrocities constantly, so much worse than other things theyve used as an excuse to intervene for
Can you imagine the uproar if Bush sent troops in there, and there's no chance in ell that the U.N. would send troops. The west is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

=========================

senior's politics and discussion
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

HARARE, Zimbabwe - President Robert Mugabe, campaigning for re-election in a presidential runoff June 27, warned he would not cede power to Western-backed opponents, the state media reported Monday.

"We shed a lot of blood for this country. We are not going to give up our country for a mere X on a ballot. How can a ball point pen fight with a gun?" the Herald, a government mouthpiece, quoted Mugabe as saying.

Speaking in the local Shona language in the central Silobela district Sunday, Mugabe said, that the nation threw off colonial domination in a guerrilla war in 1980, and his party was ready to fight again to stop the pro-Western Movement for Democratic Change from gaining control of the government, the paper reported.

Story continues below

Meanwhile, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, speaking in London with U.S. President George W. Bush, warned Monday that international election monitors must be allowed to monitor the runoff or risk having Mugabe's "criminal regime" steal the election.

"(Mugabe's) criminal cabal ... threatens to make a mockery of free and fair elections in Zimbabwe," Brown said.

Bush said the U.S. would work with Britain and others to make sure the runoff poll is conducted to international standards.

"The people of Zimbabwe have suffered under the Mugabe leadership and we will work with you to ensure this process leads to free and fair elections, which obviously Mr. Mugabe does not want to happen," Bush said.

Opposition official still in jail

Also Monday, the secretary general of the Movement for Democratic Change — the party's No. 2 — continued to be held in the notoriously harsh police jail in western Harare, his lawyer said.

Tendai Biti did not make a scheduled appearance in court Monday on treason allegations. Biti had yet to be asked by police to make a formal written "warned and cautioned" statement, needed before he can be arraigned, said lawyer Lewis Uriri.

Uriri said police have added two extra charges under the security laws — insulting the president and making statements intended to bring about disaffection in the police and security forces, both carrying the penalty of imprisonment or fine. Biti has to make further written statements on the additional charges and should be brought to court after that on Tuesday.

Uriri said if Biti was not brought to court, the case would be taken to the High Court again to request it to order an end to delays that are keeping Biti in the Matapi police jail in the western township of Mbare.

Mugabe says war vets ready for battle

Treason charge for Zimbabwe opposition No. 2

The police station is known for filthy, harsh conditions used to intimidate suspects in custody. Uriri said Biti was denied a blanket in freezing nighttime temperatures in the Zimbabwe winter.

Family members were eventually allowed to provide a blanket, fresh clothing and food during the weekend, the lawyer said.

The MDC said the arrest and continued detainment, without charge, of Biti was "politically motivated" and a part of "malicious" attempts by Mugabe "to frustrate the election campaign of the MDC."

The party also said in a statement that police searched Biti's house in Harare for more than three hours Monday.

Treason can carry the death penalty. The charge arose from a document in which Biti allegedly wrote before the election of a "transition strategy" to take over the government.

Biti is also charged with announcing results of the first round of elections March 29 in breach of election laws.

Biti has denied violating election laws, saying results showing victory by the opposition were made public by officers at polling stations.

Runoff violence

Concerns have mounted over the runoff in less than two weeks between opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai and Mugabe. Since the first round of voting March 29, opposition supporters have been attacked and arrested, and Tsvangirai's attempts to campaign have been thwarted by police.

Tsvangirai has been detained at least six times since he began campaigning for the runoff. Two campaign buses have been impounded.

Mugabe, meanwhile, has campaigned freely at rallies given prominence by the dominant state newspapers and state television and radio.

On Sunday, Mugabe accused aid groups of using food handouts as a weapon to secure votes for the opposition and said they had seized national identity cards to prevent some people from voting, the state Herald reported.

Independent human rights groups have leveled identical allegations against Mugabe's party. U.S. officials said last week security forces confiscated a large U.S. food donation intended for children and gave it to Mugabe supporters.

Earlier this month, the government ordered independent aid agencies to stop all field work, leaving millions of hungry Zimbabweans more dependent on the government.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25192724/

I don't see any domestic campaign being of any significance...

Return to “International Politics”