Do You Believe In Magic?

Thoughts and discussions about New Age, Astrology, Gnosticism, Goddesses, Healing Arts, Humanism, Magic, Mysticism, Wicca, and more.
koan

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by koan »

If so, how would you describe the magic you believe in? What is it? How does it affect your life?

If not, why not?
Lon

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Lon »

I'm not sure I know what you mean by Magic. If you mean the type of magic as we see on stage with magicians, no, I don't believe in it, I enjoy it, but realize it's an illusion. If you mean what some refer to as magic between two people, I think the word magic is improperly used. I believe all magic to be illusory.
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

koan;856216 wrote: If so, how would you describe the magic you believe in? What is it? How does it affect your life?

If not, why not?

Magic's getting what you want by ending up in the right place instead of all the wrong places. It's only true from the perspective in which "place" is meaningful and as such, as Lon says, it's illusory, but it's entirely convincing at the time. (Technical term in that context, "time"). It's also shockingly powerful and I suspect that people are constantly employing it. The older I get the more I think it's the only thing that holds back chaos.

jimbo;856376 wrote: hard on to answer koanhead as i'm bound to shoot Jimbo, please tell me you didn't really type that...
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chezzie

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Chezzie »

spot;856509 wrote: Magic's getting what you want by ending up in the right place instead of all the wrong places. It's only true from the perspective in which "place" is meaningful and as such, as Lon says, it's illusory, but it's entirely convincing at the time. (Technical term in that context, "time"). It's also shockingly powerful and I suspect that people are constantly employing it. The older I get the more I think it's the only thing that holds back chaos.

Jimbo, please tell me you didn't really type that...

koan

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by koan »

I mean magic (magick) as in intentionally influencing events around oneself. Wicca would be one form.
Lon

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Lon »

koan;856589 wrote: I mean magic (magick) as in intentionally influencing events around oneself. Wicca would be one form.

Thanks for the clarification Koan and the education. You caused me to Google both Wicca & magick and read two things with which I was totally unfamiliar.

Now, I will have to mull this thing over before I can say if I believe in Magick or not. Interesting idea that requires some thought.
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

koan;856589 wrote: I mean magic (magick) as in intentionally influencing events around oneself. Wicca would be one form.

I'll offer a simile. Life's like riding a pushbike along a busy urban main road. Every moment, the overwhelming likelihood is that the bike will crash but we all unconsciously keep ourselves upright and on the road and out of the path of the cars and trucks. Of the million ways in which your life might crash in the next few moments, the inner part of you which reaches the next balanced state finds the right move forward. You survive heartbeat by heartbeat. All of that's normal life. The way we perceive our environment is dictated by this essential technique of finding a place where we can simply exist at all.

You're talking about knowing how to change lanes on the road and choose which junctions to take instead of merely passively discovering which part of town you end up in, while still avoiding falling off the bike.

Some people who try fall off the bike while learning how to steer; I wrote "most people" but there are degrees and I'm not sure about "most" so I'll settle for some. Some even crash in flamboyant style doing wheelies to show their mates how competent they are. Beginners learning to steer risk taking their mind off the road to focus on their own actions, they fall because they suddenly realize what a dangerous place the road is just to stay alive at all and when they panic they're flattened.

Why does getting to a particular part of town matter?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

Your flies are undone.
jennyswan

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by jennyswan »

I don't believe in magic. I do believe people can create great illusions but I don't believe that people have supernatural powers in the sense that they can use spells etc. I do respect people who believe this. To each their own.
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

jennyswan;856685 wrote: I don't believe in magic. I do believe people can create great illusions but I don't believe that people have supernatural powers in the sense that they can use spells etc. I do respect people who believe this. To each their own.

Respect in what sense? Given your opinion, they're as mad as hatters.
Clodhopper

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Clodhopper »

I think magic is a way we have of explaining what we don't understand or barely suspect - in this case the perceptions and abilities of the human mind. I certainly don't believe in the clicheed warty witches with a cauldron. The other sort of magic is the one Jimbo so neatly described before his hard on interfered.

Thinking about it, the only rational explaination for Jimbo is three warty witches with a cauldron. Any of you wish to step forward and take responsibility?:wah:
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
jennyswan

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by jennyswan »

spot;856698 wrote: Respect in what sense? Given your opinion, they're as mad as hatters.

What I mean is that I respect peoples right to believe in whatever they want. I have some friends who are Wiccan and they are the sweetest people you could ever meet. :-6
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

jennyswan;856739 wrote: What I mean is that I respect peoples right to believe in whatever they want. I have some friends who are Wiccan and they are the sweetest people you could ever meet. :-6

But loopy. You're meant to add loopy. Total fruitcakes.
jennyswan

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by jennyswan »

spot;856740 wrote: But loopy. You're meant to add loopy. Total fruitcakes.

No I won't add loopy. Who is to say what is loopy and what is normal.

I would define crazy as being psychotic and out of touch with reality and their certainly not that. :p
koan

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by koan »

Control is a highly sought after state.

People have many different ways of attempting to control the events of their lives and it's a hard call as to which people are loopy and which are not. Someone who eats the placenta of a newborn child and waves their arms around while standing naked in the rain is hardly more absurd than the person who wears a tie or high heeled shoes every day and agrees to sit in an office cubicle for most of their waking hours.
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

spot immediately takes off his tie and high heeled shoes and swears not to put them on again for at least a week
koan

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by koan »

You can keep the shoes on. I always thought they flattered your shapely legs.
Lon

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Lon »

OK--------I have thought about the question and no, I do not believe in magick. I do believe that I can influence events around my self, but that's influence, not magick.
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

koan;856891 wrote: You can keep the shoes on. I always thought they flattered your shapely legs.

That tie was the only thing holding my trousers up! I really have to find a belt sometime.
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

Before Sunset;858070 wrote: I believe in a supernatural element, but I don't believe that human beings have control over it.

That describes my tie perfectly.
koan

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by koan »

I don't believe that we fully understand cause and effect in the world around us. I think there are a number of ways in which we can achieve some influence or control but that we are merely a speck in an ocean of activity. I don't believe in coincidence.
Infinite light

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Infinite light »

Yes I believe there is "magic" in the world.

For example, it's magic when my awesome, eight year old nephew walks into a people-filled room. Like magic he brings joy to everyones face. He doesn't even have to do anything special, only be in our midst. Just knowing he is in our lives has--like magic--given all who know him a greater optimism and sense of purpose for living. His joy and enthusiasm for life is infectious and a source of happiness to all.

That's the kind of magic I believe in.

It seems to escape logic as to why some things or people can seemingly influence others so profoundly, for both good or ill. It's magic that a great orator can whip a crowd into a frenzy. Remember Hitler? and his almost demonic hold on the German people? A beautiful movie star steps onto the red carpet and people scream their adulation, or even faint. A song or opinion can inspire others to love, or enrage others to revolution. A wink of an eye can lead to a lifetime of love or misery. It's as if the "cause" is so inferior to the effect that it seems magical; or that the apparent cause bears no logical, rational relationship to the effect, and so defies explanation and may seem a miraculous outcome. It's like...well, magic.

I don't believe in magical spells or magic wands, i.e. the occult. However, within that paradigm lay what I might call the power of intention. What we desire to achieve or obtain through magical language or symbols may affect our psyche and personality, and this may effect a change in ourselves or others. I know when I was a magical-thinking Christian (Twenty years ago) I used to pray before the crucifix. It was a great source of strength for me, and no doubt influenced many an outcome in my life. I believed that Jesus had somehow worked on my behalf, or that I had been granted superior wisdom or insight through my faith, and so was able to do great things.

Now that I've rid my life of that superstition, I can see that it was all in my mind. However, within my magical paradigm lay the power of intention; and by those means I was able to attain a strength, or courage, or a loftier mindset that may have been absent without my magical belief system. So to the degree to which one can affect their own circumstances, influenced by their belief in "magic," I'll say that the occult can produce results.
Infinite light

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Infinite light »

koan;856823 wrote: Control is a highly sought after state.

People have many different ways of attempting to control the events of their lives and it's a hard call as to which people are loopy and which are not. Someone who eats the placenta of a newborn child and waves their arms around while standing naked in the rain is hardly more absurd than the person who wears a tie or high heeled shoes every day and agrees to sit in an office cubicle for most of their waking hours.

I'm sorry, but that sounds awfully goofy to me, what you just said there. So you think that it's no more absurd to eat a placenta of a newborn child than to work in an office? If one thinks that they could effectively gain control of their life by eating a placenta, then that person most likely is insane. And even though I admit, I've seen some pretty nutty people in the office, I think I'd still call the police if I heard they'd eaten a newborn while naked in the rain.

Honestly, what are you thinking?
Townes

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Townes »

I do not believe in such things.

Why? Does sanity need a reason?
Ahso!

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Ahso! »

koan;858222 wrote: I don't believe that we fully understand cause and effect in the world around us. I think there are a number of ways in which we can achieve some influence or control but that we are merely a speck in an ocean of activity. I don't believe in coincidence.What we do know is that living organisms (including humans) have two goals, that of 1) survival and 2) reproduction and that everything they think - do - and say - are related to either one or both of those goals at all times.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Its a narrow way

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Its a narrow way »

To accept the bible as the inspired word of God you would have to believe in Magic being real . As your bible reveals when Moses was doing miricles from god in Egypt the local magiceans did give him a little trouble with their magic . They could do many of the plages moses did and also even turned to staff into a snake like mooses could do . So the bible does clearly reveal Majic could be real .

The bible also reveals false ministrstand is why so many ers could have great power as the future false prophet decieves the earth with great signs and great wonders . There is spiritual power for sure so says our bibles.

what i dont understand is why so many look to witchcraft and even display it to our children as cool . You know who i think was really the cool guy Children should want to be ? Eligah now he could out power any sourcerer or witch and their prize was Eternal death , A GUY LIKE ELIGAH GOT ETERNAL LIFE. How stupid are we any way ? if you want power Go to God ! Ya Satan might give you Some too as he would love to take your eternal life.

Why is there no books or movies for our children Promoting Prophets , they was the ones had real power , and they got eternal life as a reward instead of death.

Satan can give power But only God can give Eternal life . Christ has the keys to death and the Grave , Satan wants you dead!
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

Its a narrow way;1401226 wrote: Satan can give power But only God can give Eternal life . Christ has the keys to death and the Grave , Satan wants you dead!On the other hand, Satan has many human foibles. He's far more likeable. When it comes down to what matters, he's a gentleman. He has my vote anyway, God's a monster.
Its a narrow way

Do You Believe In Magic?

Maybe try a study of what God has planned for the future after all them satan liking people are dead for eternity. Try micah 4 , Isaiah 11 . Maybe God knew you had to see evil to believe in good. eternity is a long time
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

Its a narrow way;1401230 wrote: Maybe try a study of what God has planned for the future after all them satan liking people are dead for eternity. Try micah 4 , Isaiah 11 . Maybe God knew you had to see evil to believe in good. eternity is a long time

I used to preach, little man. If you're going to proselytize, at least try for coherent argument rather than talking down to people.
Its a narrow way

Do You Believe In Magic?

Satan very shortly will be locked up for 1000 years then our earth becomes a wonderfull place . so must be Satan making it not work for some .

after the 1000 years hes released for a short time , and we break out in war again after a 1000 year perfect peace time with him locked up . So must be Satan doing the bad on this earth . after hes released a short time hes banished for ever .

the prophets will be alive for ever , all wica , witches , sourcerers , voodooers all DIE for eternity without repenting . so magic is real but not good for you.
Its a narrow way

Do You Believe In Magic?

You use to preach ? but was you chosen by God ? or was you a want to be?
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

Its a narrow way;1401232 wrote: all wica , witches , sourcerers , voodooers all DIE for eternity without repenting .That's me, bro. Anything to get out of continually seeing this sort of claptrap in your eternal heaven.

It annoys me, seeing someone so crapulously inept as you putting sensible people off honest religious practice. I suspect I've brought more people to salvation than you've had hot dinners and here you are pissing on my good work.
Its a narrow way

Do You Believe In Magic?

To start with you was suppose to make kings and priest to reign on the earth for eternity (rev5 9-10) if you was making heaven goers you was decieved !
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

Its a narrow way;1401235 wrote: To start with you was suppose to make kings and priest to reign on the earth for eternity (rev5 9-10) if you was making heaven goers you was decieved !

Would you like judgement?

I'll give you judgement, how's that. You are unwell. You are sufficiently unhinged as to be in need of help.

Go and get help. Start by cancelling your Internet connection.
Its a narrow way

Do You Believe In Magic?

Time will tell .

you though could start by repenting getting it right then maybe you will see real magic .......and a prize of eternal life as a king or priest . what more could you hope for?
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

Its a narrow way;1401237 wrote: what more could you hope for?

A rest from deformed fundamentalist theology would be welcome.

I actually know someone from Cotonou, maybe you've met him. His name's Norbert, he plays the organ.
Oscar Namechange

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1401239 wrote: A rest from deformed fundamentalist theology would be welcome.

I actually know someone from Cotonou, maybe you've met him. His name's Norbert, he plays the organ. Did he gig once In The Cider House?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Its a narrow way

Do You Believe In Magic?

you expect me to hang around Cotonou churches ? here the hooker takes sodomy 4 times a week then goes to bible study the other 3 nights ! voodoo does seem to be working here some though .

Im not living what i was suppose to be , but i use to be chosen
Oscar Namechange

Do You Believe In Magic?

Its a narrow way;1401242 wrote: you expect me to hang around Cotonou churches ? here the hooker takes sodomy 4 times a week then goes to bible study the other 3 nights ! voodoo does seem to be working here some though .

Im not living what i was suppose to be , but i use to be chosen Your Jones arn't you?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Its a narrow way

Do You Believe In Magic?

Jonah maybe yes , and i never went to Nenamah. Yet
Oscar Namechange

Do You Believe In Magic?

Its a narrow way;1401245 wrote: Jonah maybe yes , and i never went to Nenamah. Yet You can't be the chosen one. We've already got him on this forum.
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

oscar;1401246 wrote: You can't be the chosen one. We've already got him on this forum.

I thought you'd sworn on a stack of pagan satanic rituals that we hadn't!
spot

Do You Believe In Magic?

Post by spot »

Its a narrow way;1401242 wrote: here the hooker takes sodomy 4 times a week then goes to bible study the other 3 nights !Just like Downend, that. With a tin church made of corrugated iron, the last time I was in there, and Primitive Practices.
Its a narrow way

Do You Believe In Magic?

Read your bibles their is 2 of us rev 11 geese id like to meet the other guy
Oscar Namechange

Do You Believe In Magic?

spot;1401247 wrote: I thought you'd sworn on a stack of pagan satanic rituals that we hadn't! Irony Spot, Irony.
Oscar Namechange

Do You Believe In Magic?

spot;1401248 wrote: Just like Downend, that. With a tin church made of corrugated iron, the last time I was in there, and Primitive Practices. Although they do hold a fine game of cricket there.
Its a narrow way

Do You Believe In Magic?

Time is getting short !

Return to “Modern Ancient Paths”