compost

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
wanna be

compost

Post by wanna be »

I am considering purchasing a compost tumbler. I have been using a 32 gallon plastic trash can with holes for drainage which takes a season to compost. I have 20 acres, 10 of woods, so lots to compost. Does anyone any suggestions?
Accountable

compost

Post by Accountable »

With a place that size can you just have a pile out of the way? Do you own a tractor with a loader?
xyz

compost

Post by xyz »

wanna be;841404 wrote: I am considering purchasing a compost tumbler. I have been using a 32 gallon plastic trash can with holes for drainage which takes a season to compost. I have 20 acres, 10 of woods, so lots to compost. Does anyone any suggestions?
I suggest experimenting with the use of insulation such as plastic bubble-wrap. This, in the summer, can reduce fresh waste to black powdery compost in months.
flopstock

compost

Post by flopstock »

i always put my compost pile next to the fence that runs across the back of my yard. i find it keeps the neighbor from hanging around -yaking at me so long.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

homebasics

compost

Post by homebasics »

Wow that is a nice chunk of land. Here's an A to Z guide to composting.

Aerate your compost so the pile receives oxygen and breaks down faster. If you are using a tumbling container, turn it when you add new materials. If you are using a static container, or simply a pile, make sure you regularly mix up the contents with a shovel or pitchfork.

Bigger is better. The bigger your compost pile the better since heat builds up more in a larger pile.

Compost is one of nature’s best fertilizers and is best kept in a container.

Dairy products shouldn’t go into the compost pile because they can attract animals.

Egg shells are wonderful to add to the compost but they decompose slowly so crush the shells before adding them.

Fish shouldn’t be added to the compost because of the smell.

Grass clippings and garden waste are perfect for the composter. Just don’t overload the container with any one material as it will slow down the decomposition process.

Higher-fat foods, such as salad dressing, peanut butter and mayonnaise, shouldn’t go in the container. They decompose too slowly and will attract small animals.

Information on composting can easily be found on the Internet.

Juice and other non-dairy beverages are great as they will moisten the compost.

Keep the compost container in a sunny spot so the sun’s rays can help the decomposition process during the winter.

Leaves are perfect for the composter. To help them break down, shred them with a mower before adding them.

Meat shouldn’t go into the compost pile because it will get smelly and attract critters.

Nitrogen-rich “green” materials such as grass and kitchen scraps and carbon-rich “brown” materials such as leaves and wood chips should be mixed at a ratio of 25 parts “brown” to 1 part “green.”

Odours will occur in the compost pile if you have too many “green” materials.

Pay attention to the amount of “brown” materials as they can slow down the breakdown in your compost.

Quality of your soil will improve when you add the end-product mulch. Compost will help loosen soils high in clay and will help sandy soil retain water.

Reduce garbage in landfills. About one-third of landfills are organic waste.

Sawdust and wood shavings from untreated wood can go into the composter.

Tea bags and coffee filters are suitable for composting.

Untreated wood ashes from fireplaces or wood stoves can be added in small amounts.

Vegetable and fruit peels are perfect for the composter.

Wet compost can become too soggy and smell. Ensure your compost isn’t too wet or too dry.

Yard work will become easier when you simply turn to your composter for fertilizer.

Zero waste might not be achieved by composting your kitchen and garden scraps, but at least you are reducing the amount of garbage going to a landfill.
ade901

compost

Post by ade901 »

Just make a compost heap out of pallets. Whenever you need more room, two more pallets will add another bay with approx 1 cm metre capacity.
farmer giles

compost

Post by farmer giles »

dirt flies dirtflies

mods i cant get into the compost pile again :thinking::thinking:
Accountable

compost

Post by Accountable »

farmer giles;1221756 wrote: dirt flies dirtflies

mods i cant get into the compost pile again :thinking::thinking:
It's an exclusive club. :yh_glasse
kurtgoodrich

compost

Post by kurtgoodrich »

wanna be;841404 wrote: I am considering purchasing a compost tumbler. I have been using a 32 gallon plastic trash can with holes for drainage which takes a season to compost. I have 20 acres, 10 of woods, so lots to compost. Does anyone any suggestions?

get rabbits and worms, much quicker and much less work
fuzzywuzzy

compost

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

BTW if you have a huge compost pile run a garden hose under it . Instant hot water. Yes it works............ I've done it myself.
Accountable

compost

Post by Accountable »

kurtgoodrich;1222791 wrote: get rabbits and worms, much quicker and much less work
But NOT rabbits with worms...... there's a difference. :-3
K.Snyder

compost

Post by K.Snyder »

homebasics;951352 wrote: Wow that is a nice chunk of land. Here's an A to Z guide to composting.

Aerate your compost so the pile receives oxygen and breaks down faster. If you are using a tumbling container, turn it when you add new materials. If you are using a static container, or simply a pile, make sure you regularly mix up the contents with a shovel or pitchfork.

Bigger is better. The bigger your compost pile the better since heat builds up more in a larger pile.

Compost is one of nature’s best fertilizers and is best kept in a container.

Dairy products shouldn’t go into the compost pile because they can attract animals.

Egg shells are wonderful to add to the compost but they decompose slowly so crush the shells before adding them.

Fish shouldn’t be added to the compost because of the smell.

Grass clippings and garden waste are perfect for the composter. Just don’t overload the container with any one material as it will slow down the decomposition process.

Higher-fat foods, such as salad dressing, peanut butter and mayonnaise, shouldn’t go in the container. They decompose too slowly and will attract small animals.

Information on composting can easily be found on the Internet.

Juice and other non-dairy beverages are great as they will moisten the compost.

Keep the compost container in a sunny spot so the sun’s rays can help the decomposition process during the winter.

Leaves are perfect for the composter. To help them break down, shred them with a mower before adding them.

Meat shouldn’t go into the compost pile because it will get smelly and attract critters.

Nitrogen-rich “green” materials such as grass and kitchen scraps and carbon-rich “brown” materials such as leaves and wood chips should be mixed at a ratio of 25 parts “brown” to 1 part “green.”

Odours will occur in the compost pile if you have too many “green” materials.

Pay attention to the amount of “brown” materials as they can slow down the breakdown in your compost.

Quality of your soil will improve when you add the end-product mulch. Compost will help loosen soils high in clay and will help sandy soil retain water.

Reduce garbage in landfills. About one-third of landfills are organic waste.

Sawdust and wood shavings from untreated wood can go into the composter.

Tea bags and coffee filters are suitable for composting.

Untreated wood ashes from fireplaces or wood stoves can be added in small amounts.

Vegetable and fruit peels are perfect for the composter.

Wet compost can become too soggy and smell. Ensure your compost isn’t too wet or too dry.

Yard work will become easier when you simply turn to your composter for fertilizer.

Zero waste might not be achieved by composting your kitchen and garden scraps, but at least you are reducing the amount of garbage going to a landfill.

If I ever need a garbage expert you're my man homey! :yh_wink
Compost King

compost

Post by Compost King »

Hi everyone

I just lost my whole post so this is a condensed version. I am growing my own vegies because I think they taste fantastic and I know there are no pesticides involved, plus I love going out to the garden and picking some tomatoes and lettuce leaves for a salad with a few basil leaves. All that is needed then is a little drizzle of olive oil and yummo, the beginning of a tasty salad.

I am interested in improving the soil and hence my post in the compost thread.

I have just started a blog where i will be examining all the different types of composting so that people can make decisions about what might work best for them. Everyone's needs are different and there are different types of composting.There is something to suit everyone even if you live in a small apartment. Looking forward to sharing and discussing information

Composting Tips
CinnamonBear

compost

Post by CinnamonBear »

Welcome, King of Compost. Nice you made it here - love the name. :)

Return to “Gardening Forum”