Jimmy Carter Meets With Hamas

koan

Post by koan »

Already awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 2002, Carter continues his efforts to help broker peace in the Middle East. Carter's meeting with exiled Hamas leader Meshaal is highly criticised. The US says the visit is not helpful to the peace process.

Carter believes that talking with Hamas and Syria are necessary to move forward.

I believe that refusing to talk to someone is kindergarten behaviour.

How has civilisation survived this long?

story
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

In the early 1970’s Pierre Trudeau was the first western leader to open the doors of trade with China when he visited China and agreed a trade deal for Canadian wheat. China at the time was in desperate need.

Trudeau was very strongly criticized by the States and other western countries for trading with ‘communist China’. Now the west is climbing over each other to trade with China.

It takes a great leader to take a stand against those who are grouped against you when you truly believe and act against those in power and engage in peace talks with those deemed to be the enemy.

I hope that Carter is successful in his talks.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Carter can't commit the US to anything, and he's already soiled his standing as former president. Let him talk to whomever he wants. He has the right.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Statements made by Hamas leaders re: Israel would seem to preclude peace in the Middle East. Carter's meetings, though well intentioned, will be futile. Either Hamas must give up the idea of destroying Israel or Israel must give up Palestine. Neither is likely to happen.
G-man

Post by G-man »

I believe a combination of many of the previous responses to some degree... I do believe that Jimmy Carter, and I do respect the man, despite his rather lackluster stay as commander in chief, he's done much for the world in this area, but talking is a start in my mind... even if it seems futile presently. Not that I'm saying that at least he's doing something... communication is indeed key in many conflicts, but it has to be constructive or eventually move forward, as well. Will it lead to something, though? Nobody can honestly know until we see it happen.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Return to “International Politics”