A question for Auto Mechanics.....

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Okay, ummm, well I can't get my "change oil light" to go out in my 2001 Potiac Grand Am....Wal-Mart doesn't reset it for me, so I stressed last time I took my car there and finally figured it out 3 days later, I looked it up in the manual and tried that (both this time and last time) and it didn't work. What worked last time was something to the tune of pumping the gas or brake and can't remember which and how long.....

When you get done laughing at me, cause I'm a "woman driver" ....I'd appreciate any help you can offer me!:o
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I really don't know anything about cars but have you checked your fuses?
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

K.Snyder;840493 wrote: I really don't know anything about cars but have you checked your fuses? Fuses are fine, I have to take off the fuse box cover in order to get to the reset button, which is what the manual says to press, but it didn't work. A friend of mine told me there was a way of resetting it by pressing on the gas while having the key at the on position in the ignition....but I tried all I could think of and nope!

fuzzy butt;840496 wrote: OH by the way I have one of those cars that re-organise themselves and it's hard for the local mechanic to re adjust the pre required time for oil change etc

I just ignore it because I know the last time the oil was changed

I am one of those anal people that can't stand a light to be on, it will worry me like the dickens until I get this light to go out!:-5:-5

A couple of days ago, the "check engine" light came on, and I took it to a car mechanic to check out, it cost me 80.00 for them to hook it up to a machine and look up codes to tell me, "something might be going bad"......:-3

NO **** SHERLOCK!!!:-5:-5
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Anddd OH yeah....

HEY K!!!!!!

Nice to see you postin' again!!

I was trying to be cool and not act goofy, but see how long that lasted???:wah:....you don't have to answer that!

It is nice to have you here again K, hope all is well with you!:-6
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

What you need to do is Turn the key to on but don't start.

Pump gas 5 Times slow all the way to floor. This should turn off light in the dash. Turn key to off then restart. This will reset change oil light. Note you may have to do again if the 1st time did not work.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

WonderWendy3;840521 wrote: Anddd OH yeah....

HEY K!!!!!!

Nice to see you postin' again!!

I was trying to be cool and not act goofy, but see how long that lasted???:wah:....you don't have to answer that!

It is nice to have you here again K, hope all is well with you!:-6

Thank you...

It's nice to see you again Wendy...
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Mustang;840855 wrote: What you need to do is Turn the key to on but don't start.

Pump gas 5 Times slow all the way to floor. This should turn off light in the dash. Turn key to off then restart. This will reset change oil light. Note you may have to do again if the 1st time did not work.

Correct.

However while youre pumping the gas you need to say wacky doodle 3 times backwards.

eldood ykcaw...eldood ykcaw...eldood ykcaw

Then honk your horn.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Nomad;841519 wrote: Correct.

However while youre pumping the gas you need to say wacky doodle 3 times backwards.

eldood ykcaw...eldood ykcaw...eldood ykcaw

Then honk your horn.

D'uh....now how did I forget about telling her that. :-3 :wah:

Good one Nomad, I'll have to remember that one! ;)
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

See, I knew I wasn't doing everything I was supposed to!

Actually, ummm it didn't work, so I will go say wacky doodle backwards, I'm impressed that Nomad could spell it backwards let alone saying it!!
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Turn the key to the "accessory" position, then push the accelerator pedal down three times fairly quickly and you will hear a sound and its done. It resets.

You can also disconnect the battery cable for about 15 seconds and reconnect it to reset the engine light.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Mustang;841801 wrote: Turn the key to the "accessory" position, then push the accelerator pedal down three times fairly quickly and you will hear a sound and its done. It resets.

You can also disconnect the battery cable for about 15 seconds and reconnect it to reset the engine light.

Thank you so much, I will try it in the morning!! I really appreciate the help!:-6
michaelross

Post by michaelross »

hmm.. how bout turning on the ignition key and press the gas pedal about three times and it should be reset..

Return to “Autos Vehicles”