The house you grew up in.

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

This is the house I spent most of my growing years in we moved from Pacific Beach to Allied Gardens when I was in the 5th grade. My mother is still living in the house we will never sell it, it will always stay in the family. That is my 1973 Camaro I love so dearly in front. :D It is a 3 bedroom 1 bath tract home that was built in the 50's. Looks pretty much the same today. :-4

Attached files
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Thank you AngelEyes I agree the memories are just to great for me and my 2 sisters to ever sell the house to anyone but family members. I visit my mother often and it is just HOME for all of us, our kids, and grandkids.

Very nice Carla!

I like the car too!

it makes me a little upset that it's being sold again. My dad and I were talking and we have SO many great memories in that house.

As we were talking about it last night our voices were crackling because we were trying not to cry.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

The house I lived in until I was 8 was in California and looked similar to Carla's house. (I don't have a scanner) Its last paint job was avocado green with brown trim if I'm not mistaken. The front yard had St. Augustine grass and two tall cypress cedars flanking the garage. Also a yucca tree and random flowers.

In the backyard were all my mom's beautiful flowers including my great granddad's Peace rosebush and the swing my dad made for me that was cemented into the ground. I loved that swing. I could go high and see over the fence, across the riverbed to the horse stables.

When we moved, an asian family bought our house. They cut down all the flowers and shrubs and I'm not sure about our avocado trees. I recall being angry that some other kids were using the swing MY dad built for ME.

MY cool neighbor went over and rescued the Peace rosebush and we were grateful for that. Our sidewalks had our house numbers painted in black on the curbs. Do they still do that anywhere? The sidewalk had my old hopscotch grids on it and little black circles from those firecracker "worms" we got every July 4th. Even though I did most of my growing up in AZ, I still consider our California house my childhood home.

From 8 until now, I have lived in Arizona. Right now I live in my parents' house which is a ranch home with Mexican brick in front, tan with dark brown trim. Big shrubs by the front door (hello burglars!) and before they all died, our front yard had palo verde and mesquite trees. We sit on an acre and a quarter of land. blabla...sorry. Anyway, when it's time to sell, I will be very sad. No one knows the drama and good and bad times that this house has seen. I hope they will love and respect our house as much as we do.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I am trying to not be soppy on this one, because of my current situation...but to stay with the title of the thread, my "child-hood" home from the age of 5 to 17 is in a place called Mt. Airy Maryland...2 hours or so away from where I live now (and have lived since approx. 1985, minus 3 years in PA....but for the most part have resided in Fredericksburg Area since the day AFTER graduation in 1985....

I still dream about that house, and I would LOVE to buy it now...but it isn't the same house, its actually a different house all -together, it was a 3 bedroom rambler with 1 and 1/2 bath, probably about 1200 sq. ft. on a full unfinished basement. It had a fenced in back yard (HUGE back and front yard) and a car-port on the side of the house. We always had a huge garden every summer and I always helped dad with it, we also had an apple tree in the back yard which was great for apple pies!! Another thing was the fact that the driveway was a MESS, my teenage friends used to tease about the pot-holes in the driveway that they needed a 4-wheel drive to get me up to my home....:wah::wah:

I drive by the house now when I go to visit friends that still live there, went there last summer matter of a fact, and the house is now a tri-level home with a 2 car garage and a paved driveway. NO fence in the back yard, and not sure what else is different, but I look at it with some sadness...that was MY home, and they changed it....

As for my kids child hood home, it is killing me to leave here, and I know that it is enevidible, there are so many good and bad memories here, but the ones that are pouring out on me lately are me taking care of my babies in this house, I get flash backs of changing the two young boys in their room, on their change table and hearing my 7 year old holler for me to help him with something, because he "was tired of standing in line for my attention"---he actually told me that when my two little guys were really little..... Oh, I'm sorry to go on and on...it helps to let it out....

I can certainly relate to you not wanting someone else in your home Angeleyes....I honesly can.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

wow, no wonder I'm such a gypsy. :o :wah:

I lived in 6 houses until hubby and I moved in together. :-3
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Until I was six, I lived in a house my Grandfather built. This was in Chicago in the heart of the city. The house was on the back end of my grandparents back yard and right off the alley. It was two story and had an old timey heater downstairs. The house burned down several years after we moved out. Old pictures that I have do bring back certain memories......which are all pleasant.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Great idea for a thread, I can relate to this!

I spent my first 3 years of life in a little cottage. It was extremely primative by modern standards, (no bathroom, no toilet, just an elsan outside). I have no memories of it, just what my parents told me. One thing I liked was that they said it had an old copper to do the washing in, like a big bowl (I guess), with a place to make a fire underneath to heat the water. I wish they'd taken photos of the rooms inside but they didn't.

Well a few weeks ago I was in the area again. So I went to the house & rang the bell & said I began my life in this house, please can I see what it's like on the inside. They were very obliging & gave me a full tour. Sadly I felt no memories coming back, it had none of the rustic olde worlde charm my parents spoke of, but I thanked the owners gratefully, that's one gap in my early life now partly explained, even if the rooms, well the whole layout of the house, is very different to what my parents remember.

A few weeks later I told my parents & they were very interested. So much so that they may now ask to see round it too! In the meantime I'm thinking of asking my mum to draw some pictures of us as a family inside it, that's what I'd really like, to see how it was when they lived there back in the 1960s. My mum is good at drawing so I hope she'll do that for me.

A few (OK a lot of) years ago an old lady came to where my parents were living & asked to do the same thing. Their house is Victorian & this lady had lived there in the 1920s. It was fascinating learning what she remembered, one thing that sticks in my mind was where someone had cut a chunk out under the handrail of the stairs. I've felt that gap for years but not thought to question it. She brought the matter up, she actually cut it herself & went to feel if it was still there, which it was, it seemed to make her day! It was probably better for her than for me visiting my first childhood home because my parents house hasn't changed much at all, all the rooms are the same, she remembered the big old cooking range they had in the kitchen & the well they used to draw the water up from, & lots of other stuff I can't remember, but I do remember her delight reliving all her old memories..

I was just a child then but I loved that link with the past. If I live to be old I plan to do that again, to visit my parents house & take the memories with me. But when I left home I took loads of pictures of all the rooms, that's something I've done in all the houses I've ever lived in. I think it would be nice to show the new owners those pictures, I'd just love it if someone came to me now (I live in a Victorian house too) & said we used to live here, can we see it, & we've got some pictures of it in the past. That's one of the best things about old houses, the stories they can tell.

I hide letters in out of the way places too, like under the floorboards. I'd love to go back & see if they're still there. I hid an old Argos catalogue with a letter in a gap in an alcove my parents made once. When my parents pineboarded their bathroom us kids were allowed to write all ove the walls, & we did, my sister wrote if you take the boards off you'll get a surprise, well I'd love to be a fly on the wall when someone does!! And I'm always hiding old newspapers & letters in places where I've lived because I'd just love it if I found someone else had done the same & it was me finding it, well you need fools like me setting stuff up like that if it's going to happen.

Ah, old houses, so many memories.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

This is the house I grew up in, It sits right on the county line and a coast to coast us hyway

we had a US post office in our living room that my grandpa was post master of till 1973. It was on the map as Scholle N.M. I raised my kids here with my grandparents help till my youndest was 8 years old in 1983

There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Is it still there?
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

qsducks;901027 wrote: Is it still there?

if your asking me ,,yes the house is still there my uncle got it after my grandparents passed away, its very cluttered inside and outside now and looks like he** .
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That is a really coold old house, scholle.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Joe;832484 wrote: Great idea for a thread, I can relate to this!

I spent my first 3 years of life in a little cottage. It was extremely primative by modern standards, (no bathroom, no toilet, just an elsan outside). I have no memories of it, just what my parents told me. One thing I liked was that they said it had an old copper to do the washing in, like a big bowl (I guess), with a place to make a fire underneath to heat the water. I wish they'd taken photos of the rooms inside but they didn't.

Well a few weeks ago I was in the area again. So I went to the house & rang the bell & said I began my life in this house, please can I see what it's like on the inside. They were very obliging & gave me a full tour. Sadly I felt no memories coming back, it had none of the rustic olde worlde charm my parents spoke of, but I thanked the owners gratefully, that's one gap in my early life now partly explained, even if the rooms, well the whole layout of the house, is very different to what my parents remember.

A few weeks later I told my parents & they were very interested. So much so that they may now ask to see round it too! In the meantime I'm thinking of asking my mum to draw some pictures of us as a family inside it, that's what I'd really like, to see how it was when they lived there back in the 1960s. My mum is good at drawing so I hope she'll do that for me.

A few (OK a lot of) years ago an old lady came to where my parents were living & asked to do the same thing. Their house is Victorian & this lady had lived there in the 1920s. It was fascinating learning what she remembered, one thing that sticks in my mind was where someone had cut a chunk out under the handrail of the stairs. I've felt that gap for years but not thought to question it. She brought the matter up, she actually cut it herself & went to feel if it was still there, which it was, it seemed to make her day! It was probably better for her than for me visiting my first childhood home because my parents house hasn't changed much at all, all the rooms are the same, she remembered the big old cooking range they had in the kitchen & the well they used to draw the water up from, & lots of other stuff I can't remember, but I do remember her delight reliving all her old memories..

I was just a child then but I loved that link with the past. If I live to be old I plan to do that again, to visit my parents house & take the memories with me. But when I left home I took loads of pictures of all the rooms, that's something I've done in all the houses I've ever lived in. I think it would be nice to show the new owners those pictures, I'd just love it if someone came to me now (I live in a Victorian house too) & said we used to live here, can we see it, & we've got some pictures of it in the past. That's one of the best things about old houses, the stories they can tell.

I hide letters in out of the way places too, like under the floorboards. I'd love to go back & see if they're still there. I hid an old Argos catalogue with a letter in a gap in an alcove my parents made once. When my parents pineboarded their bathroom us kids were allowed to write all ove the walls, & we did, my sister wrote if you take the boards off you'll get a surprise, well I'd love to be a fly on the wall when someone does!! And I'm always hiding old newspapers & letters in places where I've lived because I'd just love it if I found someone else had done the same & it was me finding it, well you need fools like me setting stuff up like that if it's going to happen.

Ah, old houses, so many memories.

How interesting Joe. The house I live in was built on farmland in 1916 and when we went to widen the closets postcards fell out of the ceiling. They were from the 1940's. When my husband bought the house back in the 80's, all the old gas lamps were still in place. It's a shame though as he was very young when he bought it and tore out everything.:mad:

When we replace the ceiling tiles you can see the outline of where the walls used to be and the gas lamps. Right now we have what is called the wide open look so when you walk into the front door you can see clear through to the kitchen. But when hubby bought it there were three separate rooms that you would have to walk in and out of. Can't imagine how hot this house was in the summer:wah: And when we decided to put deck on, we found old newspapers from the 40's under the shed. Probably there to keep out the draft is what my dad told us.

I have always wondered to my hubby, wouldn't it be funny if the guy who sold this house to you came back and saw what we've accomplished and what he would remember and could tell us.
Predator Prevention

Post by Predator Prevention »

I driven past the house I grew up in from time to time, just to remember. Ours too was sold when my parents divorced. I miss that house, though it contains alot of bad memories, our neighbors were all like family to us.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

My parent's still live in the house where I was born. They bought it 9 months before I was born. New house, new baby is what they always told me.:-4
Predator Prevention

qsducks;901115 wrote: My parent's still live in the house where I was born. They bought it 9 months before I was born. New house, new baby is what they always told me.:-4

With my hubby being a military brat himself, and me having to move out of the only place I felt at home as a child, the house we live in now, we will rent out once we move again so that we can come back to it.......so our daughter can come back to it. We decided to make this house the one constant thing no matter what else changes. I wish that my family still lived in the house I grew up in so that I could walk around in my memories once in a while.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Predator Prevention;901120 wrote: With my hubby being a military brat himself, and me having to move out of the only place I felt at home as a child, the house we live in now, we will rent out once we move again so that we can come back to it.......so our daughter can come back to it. We decided to make this house the one constant thing no matter what else changes. I wish that my family still lived in the house I grew up in so that I could walk around in my memories once in a while.

Did you grow up in Ohio?
Predator Prevention

qsducks;901123 wrote: Did you grow up in Ohio?

Yes. It's funny how it worked out. My husband was born in Tucson AZ, I was born here in Ohio, and my daughter was born on Andrews AFB, just outside D.C.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Predator Prevention;901136 wrote: Yes. It's funny how it worked out. My husband was born in Tucson AZ, I was born here in Ohio, and my daughter was born on Andrews AFB, just outside D.C.

And your hubby is in the Air Force? Is he in Iraq?
Predator Prevention

qsducks;901138 wrote: And your hubby is in the Air Force? Is he in Iraq?

Not yet thankgod, but unfortunately will be
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Well for you Pred, I really hope not. Does he want to go?
Predator Prevention

qsducks;901151 wrote: Well for you Pred, I really hope not. Does he want to go?

That's actually a difficult question. We're a very proud military family. We didn't choose this lifestyle on a whim. We are a family who looks forward to doing what we have to do, but we don't want any harm to come to him. I don't know if that makes much sense, but....
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I here ya babe. My FIL fought in the Korean war and never talked about it. I just hope they can resolve this conflict over there and hopefully get out soon.
Predator Prevention

qsducks;901173 wrote: I here ya babe. My FIL fought in the Korean war and never talked about it. I just hope they can resolve this conflict over there and hopefully get out soon.

My personal thanks for his service. I know many a people who have seen things in war that will haunt them the rest of their life. I too hope the conflict is resolved.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

So, the house in Ohio. You're going to rent it out? I don't mean to get off subject, but I would think you'd want to move on. Make sure you do a credit check and all that.
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

Predator Prevention;901169 wrote: That's actually a difficult question. We're a very proud military family. We didn't choose this lifestyle on a whim. We are a family who looks forward to doing what we have to do, but we don't want any harm to come to him. I don't know if that makes much sense, but....

It makes perfect sense. I would like to offer many thanks to your husband and my thoughts and prayers for you and your family while this conflict is on going.
Predator Prevention

qsducks;901184 wrote: So, the house in Ohio. You're going to rent it out? I don't mean to get off subject, but I would think you'd want to move on. Make sure you do a credit check and all that.

We want to move on, but someplace to move BACK to. We won't live this lifestyle forever, and we love this house. It's just the right size for the three of us, and with a couple acres attached. It's wonderful. We bought it as a forclosure, and completely renovated it. It's worth double what we payed for it, and it's equity alone is enough for our daughter's college.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

scholle-kid;901189 wrote: It makes perfect sense. I would like to offer many thanks to your husband and my thoughts and prayers for you and your family while this conflict is on going.

yes, I agree with Scholle-kid.
Predator Prevention

scholle-kid;901189 wrote: It makes perfect sense. I would like to offer many thanks to your husband and my thoughts and prayers for you and your family while this conflict is on going.

Thankyou very much for that. Nothing is appreciated more than for someone who doesn't know you, to say thanks.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Predator Prevention;901191 wrote: We want to move on, but someplace to move BACK to. We won't live this lifestyle forever, and we love this house. It's just the right size for the three of us, and with a couple acres attached. It's wonderful. We bought it as a forclosure, and completely renovated it. It's worth double what we payed for it, and it's equity alone is enough for our daughter's college.

Hello PP:-6

I haven't been on too much lately in the FG and am trying to catch up with threads. Honestly, the more I read of your posts the more I realize what a lovely person you are. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that your family does for our country:-4 Thank you:-6

I agree with your thoughts about saving a home that you loved...that's where your memories are, aren't they:-6 One day I must go through my pictures of my childhood home where most of my memories are. But my second loving home will always be my Uncle Jim's (my Dad's only sibling) home in Seville Place, Dublin Ireland. Even though I live in the Noo Joisey....I've spent as much time growing up in Dublin as I have in Noo Joisey:-4

Here's my Uncle's home that fortunately wasn't demolished when Dublin was rebuilding their city. It is now a home for what they call "wayward boys" I was very honored that they let me have a look around recently to cherish my memories. It was a lovely home then and a cherished memory now...my cousins and I slept on the 2nd floor to the left. I cry everytime I look at this photo.

The bottom photo was my Uncle Jim's favorite Dublin pub called "Molloys."

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I'm off to bed Kathy Ellen in my own house, built in 1916. Chat later chickie. Neat looking house you fell asleep in every night. So glad they haven't torn it down. Oh progresser's they are the worst.
Predator Prevention

Kathy Ellen;901246 wrote: Hello PP:-6

I haven't been on too much lately in the FG and am trying to catch up with threads. Honestly, the more I read of your posts the more I realize what a lovely person you are. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that your family does for our country:-4 Thank you:-6

I agree with your thoughts about saving a home that you loved...that's where your memories are, aren't they:-6 One day I must go through my pictures of my childhood home where most of my memories are. But my second loving home will always be my Uncle Jim's (my Dad's only sibling) home in Seville Place, Dublin Ireland. Even though I live in the Noo Joisey....I've spent as much time growing up in Dublin as I have in Noo Joisey:-4

Here's my Uncle's home that fortunately wasn't demolished when Dublin was rebuilding their city. It is now a home for what they call "wayward boys" I was very honored that they let me have a look around recently to cherish my memories. It was a lovely home then and a cherished memory now...my cousins and I slept on the 2nd floor to the left. I cry everytime I look at this photo.

The bottom photo was my Uncle Jim's favorite Dublin pub called "Malloys."

Hello to you as well. Thankyou for such kind words. Memories are so important. Really in life, no matter what we do, we are left with only memories. I want my daughter to have something tangible with this house.....so that she can bring her own children here to visit one day. Grandma and grandpa may be living somewhere warmer though
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

The only picture I could find was of Scruffys dog house.

Ill keep looking.

I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Photography More”