Take Our Poisoned Meat And Eat It!

koan

Post by koan »

The WTO ruled that the EU is not allowed to turn away N American beef treated with growth hormones because they haven't backed up their decision with science. Because the battle has been going on for some time there are other issues involved in the ruling, such as whether or not Canada and the US properly applied sanctions in response to the beef boycott.

I wonder if the EU is allowed to recommend all supermarkets to separate Canadian and US beef with a big sign saying "Get your growth hormones here"

I'm Canadian and, in this instance, not proud of it.

story
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I think allowing consumers to decide themselves would be fair in these circumstances, I would suppose that the acceptance of the ruling will depend on trade issues working the other way, such as whether the US government allows the Airbus A-380 to fly in North America or try to scupper it like they did with Concorde to protect Boeing from proper competition.

I think with food, the main problem at the moment is that its cheaper to buy food that has been processed and travelled half way across the world, as opposed to organic local produce, and thats unsustainable in the long run, so that will have to change.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I wonder if this is the same growth hormone used when I get the spam e-mails about penis enlargement. Maybe this could help out in the UK.:wah:
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

YZGI;822823 wrote: I wonder if this is the same growth hormone used when I get the spam e-mails about penis enlargement. Maybe this could help out in the UK.:wah:

not that you'd need something like that....:D
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I try to buy most of my meat organic.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

koan;822757 wrote: The WTO ruled that the EU is not allowed to turn away N American beef treated with growth hormones because they haven't backed up their decision with science. Because the battle has been going on for some time there are other issues involved in the ruling, such as whether or not Canada and the US properly applied sanctions in response to the beef boycott.

I wonder if the EU is allowed to recommend all supermarkets to separate Canadian and US beef with a big sign saying "Get your growth hormones here"

I'm Canadian and, in this instance, not proud of it.

story

We've been buying rBST free milk for years - and I find it interesting that Wal Mart dropped dairy products that contained rBST.

I think we are finally seeing a change in attitudes about stuffing our cattle with hormones. There's been a resurgence (at least in our part of the country) of no-drugs/open range cattle raising.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I cannot for the life of me see why, when it is illegal for our own producers to use the stuff, we can be forced to allow this meat into our country (mein Gott - I'm now a European!).

Whether the decision is based on hard science or is cultural, as long as it is a level playing field, wherein the harm?

OK, in partial answer to my own question, if a country cannot produce an item (due to a lack of raw materials or whatever) and decides that they will favour an alternative product that they can produce by making production of the item illegal then there might be a case - but that in no way applies in this case.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Bryn Mawr;823074 wrote: I cannot for the life of me see why, when it is illegal for our own producers to use the stuff, we can be forced to allow this meat into our country (mein Gott - I'm now a European!).

Whether the decision is based on hard science or is cultural, as long as it is a level playing field, wherein the harm?

OK, in partial answer to my own question, if a country cannot produce an item (due to a lack of raw materials or whatever) and decides that they will favour an alternative product that they can produce by making production of the item illegal then there might be a case - but that in no way applies in this case.

I agree. Also, I find it troubling that the WTO is dictating anything.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I think that to be fair the WTO is not a government, its a council of government representatives from all the world's powerful economies, and its judgements usually have some valid points to make. I don't see this as a consipiracy thing, the power of the WTO comes from the fact that if you don't play by the rules, then next time you want something in your interest the others won't play with you either.

I don't agree with this particular decision, as I think that the EU has a right to set these particular standards be it health-based, or ethical or scientific for certain aspects of trade and food policy, but then some decisions go in the favour of the EU and percievedly against the arguments put forth by US or China or whoever, so as a system in general it kinda balances out. Also of course ultimately consumers can decide for themselves what they choose to buy. Its better than having trade wars or embargoes or whatever, because in the long run they don't really help anyone, though a nation has the right ultimately to dissent if its interests are being seriously eroded.

Oh and Bryn, its always fun when another British person realizes with shock that they are also Yuropeeeans. :wah:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
spot

Post by spot »

All my meat comes from seven fields in Lamborn, about sixty miles east of here. The farm runs a shop in West London and another which is my nearest butcher, five minutes walk from here. I completely trust them not to slip in the odd side of growth-hormoned import, because they have values.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

Bryn Mawr;823074 wrote: I cannot for the life of me see why, when it is illegal for our own producers to use the stuff, we can be forced to allow this meat into our country (mein Gott - I'm now a European!).

I would question the point of this as no-one I know would buy the stuff.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Galbally;823154 wrote: I think that to be fair the WTO is not a government, its a council of government representatives from all the world's powerful economies, and its judgements usually have some valid points to make. I don't see this as a consipiracy thing, the power of the WTO comes from the fact that if you don't play by the rules, then next time you want something in your interest the others won't play with you either.

I don't agree with this particular decision, as I think that the EU has a right to set these particular standards be it health-based, or ethical or scientific for certain aspects of trade and food policy, but then some decisions go in the favour of the EU and percievedly against the arguments put forth by US or China or whoever, so as a system in general it kinda balances out. Also of course ultimately consumers can decide for themselves what they choose to buy. Its better than having trade wars or embargoes or whatever, because in the long run they don't really help anyone, though a nation has the right ultimately to dissent if its interests are being seriously eroded.

Oh and Bryn, its always fun when another British person realizes with shock that they are also Yuropeeeans. :wah:

I can't be a Yuropeeean - they must have crept up and joined with us whilst I wasn't watching :p

I'll grant you that the GATT is sacrosanct - without it World Recession is inevitable and the Collapse of Civilisation will follow shortly thereafter but it has to be built of solid foundations.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Chookie;823184 wrote: I would question the point of this as no-one I know would buy the stuff.

There are far too many who would buy it as long as it was £0.01 / kilo cheaper. It's well enough stating "produce of the USA" but unless people know the implications then how are they to chose?
spot

Post by spot »

You just have to choose the right obligatory label and people will get the idea.

Died in the USA?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;823308 wrote: You just have to choose the right obligatory label and people will get the idea.

Died in the USA?

OK Mr Springstear, don't call us, we'll call you :p

Return to “International Politics”