5 little kittens

Discussions about your pets!
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

are living in my son's room, since last Wed. the 26th @ 3am!!

My boys examined them all later that day when they were only home for about 2-3 hours....and they told me at the time that one of the kittens were deformed, and I didn't pay much attention to the report....thought they were teasing me....all through the pregnancy we were concerned that Mom's son from last years litter got a hold of her and one might be deformed....so I thought the boys were just pulling me leg....

The boys came home from their dad's today and couldn't get to the kitties fast enough, and I asked them about the deformed kittie....and they showed it to me!!:eek: On the two front paws, there are 6 toes, one little toe in the middle of what we would consider a thumb and pointing finger, is the best way I can explain it, and....on the back two feet, he/she only has 4 toes....

I don't mean to sound stupid....I know it will and there are those of you that will laugh at me, but umm....will the kitty be able to walk normal? Should I be worried?
jennyswan

5 little kittens

Post by jennyswan »

I found this link and it may be useful to you. I would think that the kitty will be able to walk especially because it is born that way and won't know any different.

http://www.messybeast.com/freak-feet.htm
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Jimbo.....:wah::wah:

Jenny, thanks...that was very interesting, I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I only skimmed it real quick, I'll read more later....but thanks for that!

The kitten was walking this morning just fine actually, Momma cat had them on a bottom rack of a shelving unit, the kittens keep on falling off, I have pillows and blankets all around to catch them, but Mom doesn't really care about retrieving them, so I have to go in periodically and play lifeguard!:wah:

This morning "funky-feet" (yeah, that's its name) was walking around looking for momma, I was relieved to see it walking though....he/she is really cute, I'll take a picture later to share!:)
Carolly

5 little kittens

Post by Carolly »

Wendy through the years I have had blind cats....one eyed ones and 3 legged ones.......I used to take in ones that nobody else wanted and tell you something......oh boy what charactor they all had.......Im sure yours will be fine love.;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Thanks Carol, they certainly already have their own personalities, they opened their little eyes today!!:-4

I am gutted with having to find homes for these little cuties....I want to keep them all...

but here is a picture of the foot of "funky feet"...not sure if you can tell the deformation or not.

Peg

5 little kittens

Post by Peg »

Awww Can we see pics of all the kittens? :-4
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Peg;825743 wrote: Awww Can we see pics of all the kittens? :-4

by all means, I have pics of them, but hard to see because of where they are laying, I'll get a good shot of them for you!....Momma is taking a break right now, would be a good photo op.:)
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Well :o Of course the camera's batteries died tonight when I went to take better pics. But my son did take some yesterday...so, hope you can make out the kitties, one is a close up, makes them look bigger than they are!:-4

I think they just look like one big ball of fluff....the last picture is of the only black and white one we have, the others all look like funkyfoot!

Peg

5 little kittens

Post by Peg »

Awww I'm such a sucker for kittens! :-4
RedGlitter

5 little kittens

Post by RedGlitter »

Ha! They're darling! :D
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

:)

We are so shocked on how healthy they came out, they all had little pot bellys...I am enjoying them while I can, my youngest sleeps on the floor in a sleeping bag to be near them....they are very loved!!:-4
chrisb84uk

5 little kittens

Post by chrisb84uk »

Ah how adorable! :-4
Nomad

5 little kittens

Post by Nomad »

In Key West at Hemingway's former house there are dozens and dozens of six toed kitties walking around.

That was his thing or something, I forget the story behind it but they're just fine.
I AM AWESOME MAN
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Nomad;827083 wrote: In Key West at Hemingway's former house there are dozens and dozens of six toed kitties walking around.

That was his thing or something, I forget the story behind it but they're just fine.

Yeah, I'm finding out that the deformed one is going to be the popular one of the crowd.

I called a friend of mine, and he asked if there was anything he could do to help me, he has tried to find a house and job for me and those didn't work out, so I said...."yeah, I need a good home for a momma cat and her 5 beautiful kittens" and he knows someone that does rescue work for cats, they just lost a litter to luekemia...and are heartbroken. He called me later while he was around his friend and she was in the background saying that she really wants the deformed baby and then another person said I want the ugliest one....well, NONE of them are ugly, they all (except one) have their little eyes open and they are walking....it looks like I might be giving them away this week, and as heartbroken me and the boys are, we know its for the best.

I have already promised my boys that we will keep in touch with the "adoptive" parents....I have to keep that promise....this is very emotional and hard for me. When I take in animals, its forever for me, like a wedding vow, until death do we part type thing. So, giving them away is a divorce to me, which I don't want....not one little bit....but I know that I have to....for their sakes, its for the best.:-1
Peg

5 little kittens

Post by Peg »

Aren't they too young to be separated from their mother? Maybe the rescue people will hold them all until it's safe?
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Peg;829081 wrote: Aren't they too young to be separated from their mother? Maybe the rescue people will hold them all until it's safe?

Yes, they have to be a package deal....they are only 12 days old right now... I am waiting to hear if they will take them all, I am under the impression that they will.
Carolly

5 little kittens

Post by Carolly »

Normally have to be 6 weeks old before they leave mummy.......can I have one Wendy please:-3 I will meet it at the airport:D;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Carolly;829146 wrote: Normally have to be 6 weeks old before they leave mummy.......can I have one Wendy please:-3 I will meet it at the airport:D;)

I would LOVE for you to have one....that would be AWESOME!!! I have two homes already, but not sure how that will work if I let the recue people take them, I will have to wait it out and see....my boys are crushed...they want to keep them all....as do I....:-1
Carolly

5 little kittens

Post by Carolly »

WonderWendy3;829148 wrote: I would LOVE for you to have one....that would be AWESOME!!! I have two homes already, but not sure how that will work if I let the recue people take them, I will have to wait it out and see....my boys are crushed...they want to keep them all....as do I....:-1
Wendy let me tell you a secret.......nobodys about are they.Some people may see me as hard and in business yes maybe I am but what they dont see is really one big softee.For a start how do you think that at one time I had 13 dogs.........it was because I was abit green and a couple of my dogs had pups..Now these are very expensive dogs and could have made me a nice few quid.............BUT where my animals are concerned money dosent come into it and some went to friends and the others......which may I say I had grown to love so much I kept and even when I was offered quite alot of money for a couple after I decided to keep them......I wouldn't let them go.I am down to 6 dogs now as the others have all passed away now.I also had many cats at one time.......still have my ducks and geese and I had a goat once.....went to an auction for some fruit and ended up buying a rabbit and a goat fgs:rolleyes:......couldnt let them go for slaughter but the goat had not been fed right and died shortly after.Oh well Ive just seen the time and I gotta go out.....bye for now Wendy.....nice having this chat;)
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Carolly;829158 wrote: Wendy let me tell you a secret.......nobodys about are they.Some people may see me as hard and in business yes maybe I am but what they dont see is really one big softee.For a start how do you think that at one time I had 13 dogs.........it was because I was abit green and a couple of my dogs had pups..Now these are very expensive dogs and could have made me a nice few quid.............BUT where my animals are concerned money dosent come into it and some went to friends and the others......which may I say I had grown to love so much I kept and even when I was offered quite alot of money for a couple after I decided to keep them......I wouldn't let them go.I am down to 6 dogs now as the others have all passed away now.I also had many cats at one time.......still have my ducks and geese and I had a goat once.....went to an auction for some fruit and ended up buying a rabbit and a goat fgs:rolleyes:......couldnt let them go for slaughter but the goat had not been fed right and died shortly after.Oh well Ive just seen the time and I gotta go out.....bye for now Wendy.....nice having this chat;)

Awww Carolly, your secret is safe with me, I won't tell.....:lips:

You sound like me, I love animals, they are mine to take in and care for ...forever!! I was at a resturaunt today with my friend that has the friends who might take my kitties and there was a stray kitty outside the window and he tapped on the window and the kitty came running and I said "awww, I want to take her home"....he yelled at me that I need to stop that!! I can't stand to see a animal hurt or hungry....

My boys always tease me that I'm going to have 10 dogs and 10 cats when they move out and I told them, probably so...maybe not so many dogs...but cats...yeah! I have 9 right now!!! And if it were up to me, I'd keep them all!!:-4
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Well, the kittens are 5 weeks old today....and My son is staying at the old house and taking care of them. They have been eating and using the litterbox for about 4-5 days now....and well, my son gave one of the kittens away to a friend of his.....:eek: I am just so concerned that it is too young yet....I've never given kittens away before they were about 7-8 weeks old!! Granted, these are REALLY healthy kittens....but still, they could use some more of momma's milk, at least I think so....correct me if I'm wrong.

I told my son that he needs to check with his friends to make sure its doing okay, because the kitten can come back and be with momma for another week....I think that would be best, but I will have to wait and see what he reports back to me!

We have homes for all of the kittens, just waiting (well, NOW we are waiting, I had no clue my son was going to do that!) for them to get a bit older and litter box trained really well...the little black and white one is my favorite, he's the only one of the 5 that looked like that...and he would always walk on my feet when I would check on them at the house!!!--he missed me!:-4:-4

Here is a picture of them 2 weeks ago when we left the house....

Attached files
RedGlitter

5 little kittens

Post by RedGlitter »

Wendy, cute photo.:)

It seems too early to me too so I looked it up just to be sure and here's an offering from one site:

http://petcaretips.net/weaning_kitten.html

All About Weaning Kittens

The best time to separate a kitten from its mother is between

seven and eight weeks of age. It is at this point that weaning

has been completed (the switch from nursing mother's milk to

eating solid food) and a kitten can best adjust to living in a

strange home with a new family. If taken away too early, kittens

may have to be bottle-fed by their new families and frequently

behave badly due to premature departure from the nest.

Kittens need milk feeding for the first four to five weeks of

life, so formula needs to be provided for a newborn kitten in

cases where the mother cat is unable to nurse it. If a kitten is

orphaned when it's two weeks old, for example, it needs to be

bottle-fed for at least another two weeks until it can be

introduced to solid food at four weeks.

Hopefully your son's friend knows the kitten still needs milk and will not try to feed it cat food. If you can get him back for another couple weeks that would probably be best.
WonderWendy3

5 little kittens

Post by WonderWendy3 »

RedGlitter;851478 wrote: Wendy, cute photo.:)

It seems too early to me too so I looked it up just to be sure and here's an offering from one site:

http://petcaretips.net/weaning_kitten.html

All About Weaning Kittens

The best time to separate a kitten from its mother is between

seven and eight weeks of age. It is at this point that weaning

has been completed (the switch from nursing mother's milk to

eating solid food) and a kitten can best adjust to living in a

strange home with a new family. If taken away too early, kittens

may have to be bottle-fed by their new families and frequently

behave badly due to premature departure from the nest.

Kittens need milk feeding for the first four to five weeks of

life, so formula needs to be provided for a newborn kitten in

cases where the mother cat is unable to nurse it. If a kitten is

orphaned when it's two weeks old, for example, it needs to be

bottle-fed for at least another two weeks until it can be

introduced to solid food at four weeks.

Hopefully your son's friend knows the kitten still needs milk and will not try to feed it cat food. If you can get him back for another couple weeks that would probably be best.

Thank you for that, confirmed my train of thought as well. I will talk to my son later today....

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”