Complete change, would you, have you?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Anyone seriously considered or actually done a complete change of career direction, just jumped into something head first without really knowing that much about it?

I seen a small hotel for sale today :thinking:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Well, that's how I became both a beautician and an animal rescue worker/director.

So you're intrigued by running a hotel? That would be very nice, I think. What did you have in mind, Buttercup? A regular hotel or a bed and breakfast type affair? :)

Post by 911 »

DO IT!

What fun that would be! Well, without the dead mother. :)

Yes, that's how I got this job. I applied for the fire dept, got number one on the list and then the lady that was going to leave decided not to.

I went to work at the county as payroll clerk and in executions. They built a comm center and asked if I wanted to do it. Like a moron, I said yes.

And here I sit. Now I train the new ones that come in, if I feel like it, otherwise I let the others do it.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Hi Red, its got 3 bedrooms, small dining room & pub with an open fire, kinda place that makes you feel all warm n fuzzy. Maybe i'm just being sentimental round the holidays but it sure is tempting & not at all expensive.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I would say "GO FOR IT". Then I would ask you why is it up for sale?? did the former owners just retire? Is the location bad??
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Hi Carla

The present owners have had it 10 years, they are about to retire, its in a quiet location, approx 1,000 people.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Sounds perfect and quaint. How small is small?? You would be working 24/7 serving people and their needs each and every day, holidays included.

Just giving you the facts before you make a decision that will change your life forever. Not saying don't do, just saying give it some thought. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

lemon_and_mint

Post by lemon_and_mint »

Hello buttercup, how exciting.

Could you ask the present owners to have you there for a couple fo days to show you the ropes and what is involved?

Do you have free 6 week business courses run by the local enterprise agency as we do in England - that can teach you a lot about runniong various types of business.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

buttercup;745412 wrote: Hi Red, its got 3 bedrooms, small dining room & pub with an open fire, kinda place that makes you feel all warm n fuzzy. Maybe i'm just being sentimental round the holidays but it sure is tempting & not at all expensive.

Buttercup, that sounds lovely. You know, my friend in Seattle Washington bought an older home, and fixed it up as a salon. Complete with warm cozy fireplace in the waiting area. Would you be interested in having your own shop in the house?

Or how about a boutique? Do you really want to run a hotel or are you just in love with the building itself? :)
Clint

Post by Clint »

Don't do it unless you would like to be a slave. Hotels and motels are like dairy farms.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
weeder

Post by weeder »

Dont fall in love with the fantasy of quaint... fairytale etc.... Make ceratin you are financially able to handle it, or it could become a nightmare. On the other hand, it could be a great opportunity for you. Just be level headed about the decision. Do a lot of investigating. And get help, if you need it with building inspections etc.....
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
nok

Post by nok »

Buttercup, that sounds like an interesting idea but I think you should get some kind of management training or if the owners could give you a few pointers on how to run it, that would be helpful.

I've done complete career changes before and never regretted it. It totally changed my life becaue I realized that some careers can make you happier than others.

In the past, I worked as a bank employee for the International Department for nine years. After that, I applied for and got a teaching job at a school. Before then , I never taught before in my entire life but I dived in headfirst and found that I was a natural at it. Now, I've been teaching for more than 10 years now and I love it ! I plan to teach for the rest of my life, if the school will have me for that long. :-4
Happiness is not a destiny. It is a daily goal. :)
Peg

Post by Peg »

This thread was started a year ago. Buttercup, did you buy it?
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

No Peg we dident, it ended up going for more than we could afford.
Peg

Post by Peg »

buttercup;1095800 wrote: No Peg we dident, it ended up going for more than we could afford.

I know how that goes. A private club went under. We were going to buy it, run it, but let them keep their charter. That way, their meetings could continue. Once they had an interested buyer, the price went up. They wanted us to pay all their debts. They were behind on every utility and wanted us to pay those too. We told them to forget it. They finally found a buyer. 2 guys had a bidding war. The one guy owns a bar and didn't want added competition so he paid way more than it was worth. The building now sits empty. :(
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Yes I would, infact, I am in the process of putting everything in place in order to make that change. Time will tell :D
Very nearly perfect ... :D

Return to “Work Employment”