Youth Hostelling experiences

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Has anyone used the YHA in the UK? I'm thinking of joining it, any experiences and advice would be most welcome. Thank you. Also, what do you think of independent hostels?

;)
gmc

Post by gmc »

Not for some years now but have stayed in lots of them. Used to cycle tour a lot. Good way to get about and stay if you also want to meet people on your travels. Quite expensive now and got away from the basic, cheap accomodaion they used to be. Independent hostels OK if properly run and usually cheaper, the ones aimed at backpackers and climbers tend to be pretty good. some of the youth hostels can be pretty dire as well depending on the warden. Make sure you book ahead for the more isolated ones especially if you ae not using a car
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

years ago when I toured Europe I used them.. From what I have heard they have changed quite a bit. I never had any problems, but took the usual precautions with personal items..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
gmc

Post by gmc »

years ago when I toured Europe I used them.. From what I have heard they have changed quite a bit. I never had any problems, but took the usual precautions with personal items..

The ones in the alps are great, you have to love a country that puts pubs at the tops of mountains all we get is rain or midges
Aura

Post by Aura »

The one in Salisbury is good. It has a tv room deep down in the basement, althrough it smells a bit due to the laundry room being next door. There's a living room with red sofa's and books to read, the kitchen is good. It's split up into four cubicles, has a microwave and gas operated ovens, there's red baskets to keep your food in, and towels are £2.50 to hire. Outside their bike locker is a garage, but there is a reception and drying room. The door is locked at elleven, but the code is changed every day so you can get this from reception and I think you get a key.

Email:

salisbury@yha.org.uk

Within UK

0870 770 6018

Outside UK

(+44) 1722 327572

:-6

Return to “Travel Vacation”