Wow, Whaddadeal!!!!

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Lon

Wow, Whaddadeal!!!!

Post by Lon »

The recent tsunami has obviously clobberd tourism in So. East Asia, but some of the exotic spots that were left unscathed are offering some great deals. We just booked 14 days at the "Sheraton Grande Laguna" on Phuket Island, Thailand for April. We fly on "Singapore Airlines" from here (Christchurch, New Zealand) to Singapore, spend two days in Singapore then fly to Phuket Island for the 14 days. This deal is priced at less than half the usual price and includes air. Looking forward to doing some scuba and playing some of the golf courses. We head back to California on the 1st of May. I am sure that Travel Agencies in the states are offering some pretty good deals as well. Check the various web sites for how bad a particular locale was hit by the tsunami.

Lon---------http//.www.thoughtsandtravels.blogspot.com
lady cop

Wow, Whaddadeal!!!!

Post by lady cop »

i have mixed feelings about this...one, is it taking advantage of a tragic catastrophe by the ones offering and accepting the deals? ....and two. the area needs tourist dollars. it's a dilemma to me.
Lon

Wow, Whaddadeal!!!!

Post by Lon »

lady cop wrote: i have mixed feelings about this...one, is it taking advantage of a tragic catastrophe by the ones offering and accepting the deals? ....and two. the area needs tourist dollars. it's a dilemma to me. I have a number of Thai friends Lady Cop, and tourism is one of the best ways to help these folks they tell me. In addition, Sheraton (big corporation) and Singapore Air (another big corporation) are making the offer.
lady cop

Wow, Whaddadeal!!!!

Post by lady cop »

Lon wrote: I have a number of Thai friends Lady Cop, and tourism is one of the best ways to help these folks they tell me.
then good, i hope all the resorts still operating are funneling monies for relief... and have a great time! :-6
lady cop

Wow, Whaddadeal!!!!

Post by lady cop »

Lon wrote: I have a number of Thai friends Lady Cop, and tourism is one of the best ways to help these folks they tell me. In addition, Sheraton (big corporation) and Singapore Air (another big corporation) are making the offer.
just noticed the addition to your post...i am not particularly impressed by sheraton corp. or singapore air. it's ALL for profit, not altruism. just my opinion of course. frankly i think they are dancing on graves. no offense meant to you Lon!
Lon

Wow, Whaddadeal!!!!

Post by Lon »

lady cop wrote: just noticed the addition to your post...i am not particularly impressed by sheraton corp. or singapore air. it's ALL for profit, not altruism. just my opinion of course. frankly i think they are dancing on graves. no offense meant to you Lon!
No offense taken. Actually both have donated big time $$$ to the relief fund.

The Thai hotel workers, shop keepers, dive operators, merchants in Phuket will benefit. Don't take offense, but you talk like a left wing lib when you go after corporations. What's wrong with profit? If corporations ran like the government, they would go bankrupt. The MAIN industry of Phuket is tourism, and tourism would not exist if not for major resort facilities that also happen to be money grubbing enteprises.
lady cop

Wow, Whaddadeal!!!!

Post by lady cop »

i guess i am a 'left-wing' cop...now there's a dichotomy! i am very glad to hear the corporations are helping in the relief effort. profit is good, unless it's over dead bodies. but if they are truly helping it is gratifying.

Return to “Travel Vacation”