Thank God CBS didn't shut him up!:)

drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

Right on, Andy Rooney!

Andy Rooney said on '60 Minutes' a few weeks back:

"I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers.

The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.

Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens... Jesse Jackson will be knocking d own your door.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason; that is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts!

ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.

I have the right 'NOT' to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.

I think the police should have every right to shoot you if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word 'freeze' or 'stop' in English, see the above lines.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

I don't hate the rich I don't pity the poor.

I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television.

That doesn't stop you from watching them.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say 'NO!'

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

I am sick of 'Political Correctness.' I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can they be 'African-Americans'? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else.

And if you don't like my point of view, tough... "
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

drumbunny1;715729 wrote: Right on, Andy Rooney!

Andy Rooney said on '60 Minutes' a few weeks back:

The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.

Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens... Jesse Jackson will be knocking d own your door.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason; that is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts!

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.

I have the right 'NOT' to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.

I think the police should have every right to shoot you if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word 'freeze' or 'stop' in English, see the above lines.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say 'NO!'

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

I am sick of 'Political Correctness.' I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can they be 'African-Americans'? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else.

:yh_clap:yh_clap
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
spot

Post by spot »

Oh dear oh dear. Snopes discusses this, as you might expect. The way in which he denied it is answer enough to the filthy content:Andy Rooney himself denied it in 2003, saying: About a year ago, I became aware of a more serious theft of my name and it is so hurtful to my reputation that it calls for legal action against the thief. Hundreds of people have written asking if I really wrote the 20 detestable remarks made under my name that have had such wide circulation on the Internet.

Some of the remarks, which I will not repeat here, are viciously racist and the spirit of the whole thing is nasty, mean and totally inconsistent with my philosophy of life. It is apparent that the list of comments has been read by hundreds of thousands of Americans, many of whom must believe that it accurately represents opinions of mine that I don't dare express in my column or on television. It is seriously damaging to my reputation.Mr. Rooney disclaimed the above-quoted piece again in his 60 Minutes segment of 23 October 2005, saying of it: There's a collection of racist and sexist remarks on the Internet under a picture of me with the caption ‘ANDY ROONEY SAID ON 60 MINUTES.’ If I could find the person who did write it using my name I would sue him."Detestable remarks".

"Viciously racist".

"The spirit of the whole thing is nasty, mean and totally inconsistent with my philosophy of life".

How can you dare post it on like this, drumbunny1? Because it's amusing? Because it's accurate? Because it's honest? Is it truly?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I think regardless of who wrote it and with the exception of hitting one's kids, that it's a worthy piece. I see nothing hateful or racist about any of it. Its' about time someone spoke out for common sense IMO.
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;715756 wrote: I think regardless of who wrote it and with the exception of hitting one's kids, that it's a worthy piece. I see nothing hateful or racist about any of it. Its' about time someone spoke out for common sense IMO.

And Andy Rooney's view counts for nothing?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

spot;715759 wrote: And Andy Rooney's view counts for nothing?

For me it counts for nothing but his own opinion. In fact aside from it being his alleged opinion, I would go so far as to say he might have said it to keep his career and not because he really believes it. In this day and age God forbid you should have a differing opinion from everyone in the supposed "right."
Peg

Post by Peg »

I'd like to know who actually did write this. I'd like to shake their hand.
cars

Post by cars »

Peg;715821 wrote: I'd like to know who actually did write this. I'd like to shake their hand.

Right on Peg!!! ;)
Cars :)
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I may not necessarily agree with every thing he has said, but I have always been a fan of his. Andy Rooney has a right to his views and opinions just as we have a right to accept them or deny them.

PS. If everyone felt the same way about every issue...well. do the words "robot" and "boring" apply?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

Okay...so even if Andy Rooney had NOT said it...whoever did... put it right!!! Amusing? Truthful? No...its not amusing at all...because these are actual things that white..middle class, working, US born citizens have to deal with every day...racist? I AM NO SUCH THING...if you wanna talk about racism...read the first paragraph...THATS racist!!! Detestable? How so...its an opinion that I just so happen to share...and like he said...it you don't like it...tough... I just thought it to be a very good quote wherever it came from...and thought of sharing it because I feel more than just myself are thinking it! :)
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

"In this day and age God forbid you should have a differing opinion from everyone in the supposed "right."

Amen Red!
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I agree with all of it, and it does not just apply to the USA, but most Western Countries these days.

Including the discipline of your kids part. They have taken discipline out of the schools, and out of the homes and then the Government tries to do it for us through ASPOS. I say put it back into the schools and homes.
HumanBeast

Post by HumanBeast »

I do not accept either Black or White history month.
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

Is there a White History month?
spot

Post by spot »

Can nobody get it into their head that Andy Rooney not only didn't write that offensive material, he was very angry about it? The bit where Andy Rooney himself says "I became aware of a more serious theft of my name and it is so hurtful to my reputation that it calls for legal action against the thief. Hundreds of people have written asking if I really wrote the 20 detestable remarks made under my name that have had such wide circulation on the Internet"? That "detestable remarks" is Andy Rooney's own description?
spot

Post by spot »

Against whom? The coward who actually wrote it didn't have the gall to use his own name, who's left to sue?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Would someone tell me why we're still on the erroneous Andy Rooney factor instead of talking about the actual content of the piece? It matters not to me who wrote it, I like it, I agree with most of it and I think we could lift any one of those listed items and make a thread with it. I see a week's worth of good FG material here.
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;749123 wrote: Would someone tell me why we're still on the erroneous Andy Rooney factor instead of talking about the actual content of the piece?Simply because it matters to the man whose name is on the piece. Why's that hard to comprehend?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

spot;749180 wrote: Simply because it matters to the man whose name is on the piece. Why's that hard to comprehend?

It's not but it's already been pointed out repeatedly. That's the red herring- it's causing us to ignore the gist of the letter which at least I think is just as important as who did or did not write it. I look at it and I see a lot of discussion material there. Of course that matters not if no one cares enough to want to talk about it or if it gets dismissed out of hand because it's a Snopes fact.
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

drumbunny1;715729 wrote: Right on, Anonymous!

Anonymous said on '60 Minutes' a few weeks back:

Okay, for kicks and giggles I put anonymous in where Andy Rooney's name was! So now...the content hasn't changed...now we're not on the topic of whether or not it was Andy Rooney wrote it...he didn't write it (apparently) so now what? I didn't post it because Andy Rooney wrote it...I posted it because I agree with it and I think the way it was said was straight to the point. Whats so detestable about it Spot? Because it doesn't go along with the way YOU think things should be?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Good job, Bunny.

Anyone want to pick out a topic? Or am I the only one here who wants to talk about it? :confused:
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

Oh I've been ready to discuss this one!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

drumbunny1;749266 wrote: Oh I've been ready to discuss this one!

Which one first? You lead, I'll follow. :)
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

That you should not deserve a special loan or help just because you weren't born in this country. This one I really can speak for, When I went to college and tried to get financial aid, I was right in this "rut" my parents made too much money for me to qualify, but not enough to foot my entire college bill, so I took out loans and went to college in Southern California, I learned real quick that a lot of the Hispanic students were on a full Govt paid ride....NOT FAIR!!!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

drumbunny1;749268 wrote: That you should not deserve a special loan or help just because you weren't born in this country. This one I really can speak for, When I went to college and tried to get financial aid, I was right in this "rut" my parents made too much money for me to qualify, but not enough to foot my entire college bill, so I took out loans and went to college in Southern California, I learned real quick that a lot of the Hispanic students were on a full Govt paid ride....NOT FAIR!!!
Were these hispanic students from the same income bracket as your family?

Look, if you want a college scholarship there are dozens out there for any category you want. Categories are as broad as income level or academics, or as narrow as just for women, nationality, or christian denomination.

Of course, it's easier to complain about those who have it easy.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm quite happy to play this game but it's only meaningful if it's played with evidence instead of mere agreement. By all means let's tease it apart and check its content in terms of reality.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

:yh_rotfl Meaningful!
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

Accountable;749370 wrote: Were these hispanic students from the same income bracket as your family?

Look, if you want a college scholarship there are dozens out there for any category you want. Categories are as broad as income level or academics, or as narrow as just for women, nationality, or christian denomination.

Of course, it's easier to complain about those who have it easy.

No I'm assuming they weren't from the same bracket, maybe some were, some were not. Trust me, I tried the just for women aid, no go, they still go off of your PARENTS income. OFCOURSE its easier to complain about those who have it easier.

:)
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

spot;749658 wrote: I'm quite happy to play this game but it's only meaningful if it's played with evidence instead of mere agreement. By all means let's tease it apart and check its content in terms of reality.

Okay, what do you mean in reality? You don't think that this kind of stuff is happening right now? How about affirmative action? Do you agree with it? Like the IVY league school ( I think it was Harvard maybe?) a few years ago accepted black students over white who scored Lower on their SAT's and various other tests just because they were black they were accepted over the students who scored higher. Do you feel that is right?
spot

Post by spot »

We do something similar to that in university admission in England too. We look at how good the schooling was for a given applicant, we look at what grades he managed to get with that schooling and we adjust the applicant list accordingly to bubble up the applicants who made the best use of the teaching they received. It's a social issue, not a racial issue.

If your racial minorities are so recognizable academically that it can be demonstrated their schooling's so much worse than the schooling of the other applicants then it's a way of achieving the same end.

It's testable, too. What we do is look at the final degree achieved by each of the applicants and discover whether our weightings are reflected in the outcomes. We then adjust the weightings to subsequent applicants to get an even better balance. The result is that entrance is based on ability rather than on raw SATs. It seems an unfaultable approach to entrance requirements. It's intensive to apply since it requires normalizing data for all the schools in the country but we're fortunate in that we gather that level of detail and publish it.
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

I understand its not a racial thing, its social, it still frustrates me. Because I think about some kids who might work their @$$ off trying to get into a school like that, then to be rejected and in your place is someone who got worse grades and test scores.
spot

Post by spot »

Would you find it frustrating if their SATs were lower as a measurable consequence of the schooling they'd had up to that point, if no normalizing adjustment were made?
freetobeme

Post by freetobeme »

Peg;715821 wrote: I'd like to know who actually did write this. I'd like to shake their hand.

Excactly !
senior's politics and discussion
freetobeme

Post by freetobeme »

drumbunny1;749763 wrote: Okay, what do you mean in reality? You don't think that this kind of stuff is happening right now? How about affirmative action? Do you agree with it? Like the IVY league school ( I think it was Harvard maybe?) a few years ago accepted black students over white who scored Lower on their SAT's and various other tests just because they were black they were accepted over the students who scored higher. Do you feel that is right?

I don't agree with discrimination of any kind, including affirmative action. Ontario tried something similar called employment equity..same thing by any other name. I was in HR at the time and saw what went on in the name of 'equality'. One of the reasons I took early retirement, I could not go along with what was being done to well qualified applicants, and, how we were supposed to give minorities jobs over much better qualified applicants - and what we were told to do with testing scores. That's as far as I'll go with that.
senior's politics and discussion
Non_PC

Post by Non_PC »

Whether this was written by Andy Rooney or not does not matter one bit to me. What I look at is the validity of the statements. Before I start into this discussion, I want to preface that I am a high school teacher. I see "reverse" discrimation on a daily basis. If parents truly knew what we, as teachers, are told to do to increase scores for our minority students, they would riot in the hallways. We are constantly being told to focus all our attention on this small group of students because they need our special attention due to poor home life, not feeling respected, a lack of touch with the curriculum, etc. What does this do to the other higher performing students (i.e. our asian and causasian students)? It makes them angry because they feel neglected, increasing tensions between races even more. I could care less about the color of someone's skin . . . show me what your made of. Reach my expectations and we will get along just fine!
spot

Post by spot »

Non_PC;859407 wrote: Whether this was written by Andy Rooney or not does not matter one bit to me. It mattered a great deal to Andy Rooney though. Does his good name and reputation mean nothing to you?
Non_PC

Post by Non_PC »

Spot,

I do care about Andy Rooney's good character and reputation. However, even though this article may offend him, I believe it to hit "home" with many Americans. I truly wish Andy had the guts to say something like this on TV. I am willing to bet he would get a standing ovation from a the majority of this great country. Unfortunately, we live in a "feminized" society in which speaking the truth, hurtful or not, is frowned upon. Our society, as a whole, is weak because no one wants to step out front and tell it like it is. As one other person said, "I would like to shake the hand of the person who did write the article." So would I.
Non_PC

Post by Non_PC »

Jester,

I agree with you about saying things honestly with some diplomacy. However, I do not think one thing stated in the article was said in a harsh way. I truly feel it was clearly stated and well articulated. I think some people find it harsh because it is the truth . . . one many people are afraid to face because it is not "main stream" or PC. That is why I think our society is in the sad shape it is.
Dewey2Me1MoThyme

Post by Dewey2Me1MoThyme »

I can't say that I see anything wrong with these statements. I'm a legal immigrant in this country, I dew not think I deserve any special treatment, nor dew I feel I should be treated differently. I don't care what colour you are, you pull the trigger, you're still guilty. I dew think many group organizations' spokespeople, and I know the majority of the ones we hear about are "African American" groups, bring much of the racism on themselves by wanting to be treated "special". They have the opportunity to go to school and get an education, get a job, save for their families futures, make a good name for themselves, and all the rest of what any "white american" has. They have the same opportunities to go to college as any other person or people. But when you sit down and cry woa is me, I have no choice but to sell drugs, dress like a thug, and steal from the working class, then you bring on your own fate and set back decades what others before you strived so you could have these advantages. JMO but I hope someone will post the commentart made by Bill Cosby a few years back as well. He did well for himself, and told some of his community exactly what he thot of their "blame the white man tactics" (sic) JMO :-5 :-5 :-5 :-5 :thinking:

Dew

"Anything worth dewing is worth dewing well"
Dewey2Me1MoThyme

Post by Dewey2Me1MoThyme »

Thank you Jester for the welcome to the U.S. I never went to an inner city school so I will admit quite honestly I dew not know what they are like, but minority or not, are they not allowed to learn? It seems to me anyone who goes to school and wants to learn can, but then again, like I said, haven't been there or done that. But I dew think that too many kids cop out with excuses rather than try and change their environment. I have seen documentaries on some very caring teachers that took inner city kids under their wing and gave them hope, and many suceeded in life. And let me point out, before anyone takes my previous post out of context, I am not saying it is only the afro-americans, just that they get a lot of press coverage, more so than lets say oriental minorities. And some people like Jesse Jackson, and the like dew nothing constructive when they try to blame the innocent for the fate of one of his. Too often he gets up on the stump to bash police or gov. over an individual case, when that person brings their fate on himself. I say equal rights for all, but each one of us are responsible for our actions, and whatever that brings us in return. For these things, we should not be blaming our ancestors or someone elses, my family came to Canada from Ireland, dirt poor, and they worked hard to provide for their families, and at that thyme, being Irish was not something you boasted about, as they were considered by many inferior people. They often all settled close to one another for protection from zealots, but they went to church, got an education, and their offspring called themselves canadian as well they should. Again JMO! :-6

Dew

"Anything worth dewing is worth dewing well"
Non_PC

Post by Non_PC »

Jester,

I agree that inner city kids do not have the same educational opportunities as many suburban kids. I should know . . . I am a high school teacher. However, I truly believe that the reason minorities do not get the same education as their caucasion counterparts is not due to lack of funding or poor teaching. It is due to the fact that many of them have absolutely no role models for education. Look into their homes, meet the parents. The old adage truly applies in 99% of the cases . . . "the acorn does not fall far from the tree." Most of them have been taught to make excuses for their shortcomings and are quick to blame everyone else for their problems. Unless Americans step up and tell minorities to quit complaining and just do it, opportunities for minorties to succeed will always be limited. No more excuses!!!

By the way, welcome to America Dewey. It is nice to see a foreigner that is making the most of his opportunity without demanding a handout. I have the utmost respect for you and wish you the best.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Non_PC;859844 wrote: Jester,

I agree that inner city kids do not have the same educational opportunities as many suburban kids. I should know . . . I am a high school teacher. However, I truly believe that the reason minorities do not get the same education as their caucasion counterparts is not due to lack of funding or poor teaching. It is due to the fact that many of them have absolutely no role models for education. Look into their homes, meet the parents. The old adage truly applies in 99% of the cases . . . "the acorn does not fall far from the tree." Most of them have been taught to make excuses for their shortcomings and are quick to blame everyone else for their problems. Unless Americans step up and tell minorities to quit complaining and just do it, opportunities for minorties to succeed will always be limited. No more excuses!!!
Deflecting responsibility isn't an ethnic trait, but I do agree it happens more in poor neighborhoods than in the middle- and upper middle-class neighborhoods. It's a major problem in the high school where I teach.
Non_PC

Post by Non_PC »

I realized that my previous statement implies I believe the excuses and blaming only applies to minorities. That is far from the truth. I see it in all kids (unfortunately, I even see it in my daughter because she sees her friends do it . . . very sad). When things do not go their way, the first thing any student I deal with does is blame someone else for their poor performance. Sadly, parents and society feed into this by not holding the student accountable for their actions. Instead, they lead the charge on blaming me, the teacher, our education system, the government, etc. That was the point I poorly attempted to portray in my previous comment. Until our society says enough with the blaming and excuses, all students success, minority or not, will be limited.

Return to “Social Human Rights”