Celebrate

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

In order to celebrate finally getting Flash videos to work on this machine I offer you this - one of my all time favourite tracks :-

Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Another favourite - fun this :-

spot

Celebrate

Post by spot »

Here you go then - you have a spare few minutes to be astounded?

stephen wolfram on rule 30, rule 110 and how the universe is constructed: the computational equivalence lecture.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5427959751

I was cheering him on at one point and punching the air. The 21st century's Einstein has landed.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;714460 wrote: Here you go then - you have a spare few minutes to be astounded?

stephen wolfram on rule 30, rule 110 and how the universe is constructed: the computational equivalence lecture.

I was cheering him on at one point and punching the air.

I think my computer just blew up :wah:
spot

Celebrate

Post by spot »

When did I ever tell you wrong.

I have another - and, indeed, a third if I get asked nicely. I have no idea whether this might be useful for anyone but I got a lot out of it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5846055184

It's mentioned on Randy Pausch's homepage at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;714460 wrote: Here you go then - you have a spare few minutes to be astounded?

I was cheering him on at one point and punching the air. The 21st century's Einstein has landed.

OK - enough for tonight. At the half way point I'd agree that it's well worth following - he's a lot of interesting ideas and the results he's produced are fascinating. I've just hit space as a tri-valent network and realised that I'm too tired to take it in at the speed he's moving.

One trivial comment I'd make on his lead in is that, although he credits Alan Turing he completely glosses over the work of John Conway which is far more closely a pre-cursor to the ideas he's presenting.

Tomorrow Sir - tonight is a while too late and a pint too far.
spot

Celebrate

Post by spot »

One of the three videos - I can't recall which but I think it's the one I haven't mentioned yet on Time Management - mentions the "Original Bboard Thread in which :-) was proposed" as a smiley by Scott Fahlman on 19 September, 1982. Here's the URL: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~sef/Orig-Smiley.htm - I enjoyed reading it.

Right at the end are some additional smileys and I particularly like one which disappeared without trace...

@= for messages dealing with nuclear war
spot

Celebrate

Post by spot »

My goodness, Stephen Wolfram has produced a product[1]. He says it might become the first killer application of his techniques in A New Kind Of Science.

And I've been trying it and wow I like it already.

New Search Tool Aims at Answering Tough Queries, but Not at Taking on Google-UNPAN - United Nations Public Administration Network

[1] Not his first, mind you. He wrote Mathematica.
fuzzywuzzy

Celebrate

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

That's nothing since having youtube and subcribing to the medical and bbc medical channel ..............I think I become qualified as a doctor next week

:yh_rotfl

No really! I think I could perform a C section, deliver a baby in a car and perform heart surgery ..................I love those animated instructional videos.:D
Snowfire

Celebrate

Post by Snowfire »

Its a Vincent Black Lightening
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
kazalala

Celebrate

Post by kazalala »

Bryn Mawr;714458 wrote: Another favourite - fun this :-

Im sure this man was playing the guitar for portugals entry in the eurovision song contest last night:thinking::D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1189501 wrote: Its a Vincent Black Lightening

There are very few bikes to match them - possibly the Brough SS100 but not much else.
spot

Celebrate

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1190270 wrote: There are very few bikes to match them - possibly the Brough SS100 but not much else.

And the 1937 Ariel Square Four Mark 2?
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1190272 wrote: And the 1937 Ariel Square Four Mark 2?

The Squariel? Too unreliable - they never quite managed to cool the rear two pots well enough to stop the odd seizure.
spot

Celebrate

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1190274 wrote: The Squariel? Too unreliable - they never quite managed to cool the rear two pots well enough to stop the odd seizure.

And the Manx and the Bonneville?
Snowfire

Celebrate

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn Mawr;1190270 wrote: There are very few bikes to match them - possibly the Brough SS100 but not much else.

I heard a story, quite a while ago and I cant vouch for the authenticity about how they used to road test the Vincents. Apparantly they would open it up along this road and if it didnt reach 100mph by a certain lampost, it was taken back in to the workshop and rebuilt. A romantic story.

Didnt Laurence of Arabia have a Vincent ?

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1190275 wrote: And the Manx and the Bonneville?

The DBD34 was far too race oriented and the standard Bonnie wouldn't hold a candle to the Vinnie.

The Manx was a fine bike but again, it rep was totally based on its racing prowess and a race bike does not always make a good bike on the road.
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1190278 wrote: I heard a story, quite a while ago and I cant vouch for the authenticity about how they used to road test the Vincents. Apparantly they would open it up along this road and if it didnt reach 100mph by a certain lampost, it was taken back in to the workshop and rebuilt. A romantic story.

Didnt Laurence of Arabia have a Vincent ?

I can well believe it - I was passed by a Vinnie on my way to Mallory one day and I'd swear it was firing once every other lamp-post whilst I was revving the balls off my Japcrap.

LoA rode a Brough - first last and always.
Snowfire

Celebrate

Post by Snowfire »

Ah ! Of course

TE Lawrence, immortalised as Lawrence of Arabia, had an unceasing passion for motorcycles and, like so many other men of his generation, began riding during the First World War. Following the publication of 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom' Lawrence bought his first Brough Superior, a 1922 Mark 1, thus beginning a long association with the marque and its owner, George Brough. Lawrence named his Broughs 'Boanerges', meaning 'sons of thunder', and called them George I, George II, and so on. George VIII was ready for collection at the time of Lawrence's death.

Lawrence's last motorcycle (George VII aka GW 2275, built in 1932), was fitted with all the best Brough Superior equipment of the day. In particular it was equipped with the Bentley & Draper rear suspension system, Castle Brampton front forks, Royal Enfield brakes and Lucas electrical equipment. Its engine number was 22000/S and its frame number was 1041.S. The machine sported an Amal 1.1/16-inch carburettor and a Jaeger 120mph speedometer. Lawrence was famed for giving that speedo plenty of exercise in his high-speed dashes along the lanes of England - in fact he broke it more than once!

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Celebrate

Post by Snowfire »

Sorry about the font on the last post Ugh !

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1190287 wrote: Sorry about the font on the last post Ugh !

Worry not - information interchange was achieved :wah:
spot

Celebrate

Post by spot »

Vincent : C SERIES:eBay Motors (item 270389856742 end time May-17-09 16:21:38 PDT) anyone?
Snowfire

Celebrate

Post by Snowfire »

Best be quick. Less than an hour left

Winston Churchill
spot

Celebrate

Post by spot »

There's Other Makes:eBay Motors (item 180355838326 end time May-17-09 19:13:07 PDT) too
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1190293 wrote: Vincent : C SERIES:eBay Motors (item 270389856742 end time May-17-09 16:21:38 PDT) anyone?

I tried that once - a BSA M20 basket case. It's fine when you took it apart yourself but a box of bits - no way, especially for that money.
spot

Celebrate

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1190298 wrote: I tried that once - a BSA M20 basket case. It's fine when you took it apart yourself but a box of bits - no way, especially for that money.

Then BSA 175 one owner from new 4220 miles 1 owner original on eBay, also, BSA, Motorcycles Scooters, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 10-Jun-09 19:21:06 BST) is more suitable? Excuse my going downmarket.
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1190302 wrote: Then BSA 175 one owner from new 4220 miles 1 owner original on eBay, also, BSA, Motorcycles Scooters, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 10-Jun-09 19:21:06 BST) is more suitable? Excuse my going downmarket.

Er - isn't that your old motor?
spot

Celebrate

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1190309 wrote: Er - isn't that your old motor?

I didn't die this year at 102 years old!
Bryn Mawr

Celebrate

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1190317 wrote: I didn't die this year at 102 years old!

Oops - I hadn't realised the poor chap was so young, sorry :-p

Return to “Music”