Religion, there is money in it.

Discuss the Christian Faith.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Britain's churches are to announce a pre-election conversion by declaring for the first time that they are in favour of wealth creation.

Until now they have been seen as deeply suspicious of free market economics, arguing for strong state intervention against debt and poverty rather than entrepreneurship. But a pre-general election report for Christians to be launched later this month says making money is good for religion.

The report, Prosperity With A Purpose - Christians and the Ethics of Affluence, concludes ''Under the right conditions, economic growth can serve God's purposes. And umbrella group of mainstream Christian denominations, Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, has the been preparing the document for a year. It has the backing of the Archbishops of Canterbury, Westminister and Glasgow.

The report says wealth creation and the pursuit of social justice should be inextricably linked and that advancing prosperity should leave nobody behind. It quotes the famous gospel passage that has been interpreted as meaning Christianity and wealth are incompatible. In the passage, Jesus tells his disciples, "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God". But here, the Churches have added, "With God All Things Are Possible"

It most certainly is.
Saintsman

Post by Saintsman »

Although I am from the U.S.A., I had the privledge and excitment of studying at Oxford Universtiy in the summer of 2004. The history of Europe's main religious faiths, particularly Catholicism, has been so deeply rooted in land ownership, property and money that I think would have to go as far back as Jesus to find an example of Christian faith not relying on the power of $$ to control and lead it's doctrine. Your posting seems ironic or almost asinine for the church to publicly announce their support and "new" pursuit of the benefits of morals and money when, indeed, they have never been seperated from it.

I am not familiar with the Buddist, Islamic or Muslim preachings and subscription to $$ and church philosophy, but many branches of Christianity, Judism and Catholicism surely have a track record that is difficult to hide from! Cash is seemingly King to profess their agenda! :-2
If you're not good for your word, what good are you? :yh_think :yh_flag Live & make a Difference!
jahamaa

Post by jahamaa »

I don't understand why any Christian would dislike money or hold it in disrepute,

Of course, the love of money is the root of all evil but we are also told if we have two cloaks and our brother has none to give him one of yours. This instruction assumes that someone is rich enough to have two cloaks. It ain't the money that is the problem it's how you feel about and use the money.

Love ya!!
GOD CREATED MAN AND SAM COLT MADE THEM EQUAL
Ted

Post by Ted »

jahamaa :-6

Good point.

Shalom

Ted :-6
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Ted, their God is not yours or mine.
Saintsman

Post by Saintsman »

capt_buzzard wrote: Ted, their God is not yours or mine.

Who is "their" God and does that mean you are saying there are multiple Gods, much like the Hindus recognize a vast number of deities? :rolleyes:
If you're not good for your word, what good are you? :yh_think :yh_flag Live & make a Difference!
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

I have my own belief and you have yours. I'm not into your institutional religions.

Saintsman

Post by Saintsman »

capt_buzzard wrote: I have my own belief and you have yours. I'm not into your institutional religions.

That is great that we both have our beliefs, but at no time have I ever proclaimed or promoted any institutionalized religion. Ironically, on an earlier post and different thread, I spoke out against organized religions and promoted personal spirituality. Even so, I am curious to who your God is ... institutionalized or not. Is this God of yours unique to you or can others subscribe to this God too? I ask this to clarify if God is one, two or many? Is the God of institutionalized religions have any relation to us who are not part of an institution or vice-versa? I believe that ultimately God is God UNBIASED or INFLUENCED to our goofy interpertations of Him/Her/It.
koan

Post by koan »

Saintsman wrote: That is great that we both have our beliefs, but at no time have I ever proclaimed or promoted any institutionalized religion. Ironically, on an earlier post and different thread, I spoke out against organized religions and promoted personal spirituality. Even so, I am curious to who your God is ... institutionalized or not. Is this God of yours unique to you or can others subscribe to this God too? I ask this to clarify if God is one, two or many? Is the God of institutionalized religions have any relation to us who are not part of an institution or vice-versa? I believe that ultimately God is God UNBIASED or INFLUENCED to our goofy interpertations of Him/Her/It.

I thought Christians believed in three Gods...the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Different manifestations of the same God, I know. Still has rather paganistic overtones...

Anyway, the Capt. obviously refers to his personal understanding of God and has clearly stated he doesn't subscribe to institutions implying he would rather keep his concept of God personal...as he believes everyone else should.

How am I doing Captain?
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

koan wrote: I thought Christians believed in three Gods...the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Different manifestations of the same God, I know. Still has rather paganistic overtones...

Anyway, the Capt. obviously refers to his personal understanding of God and has clearly stated he doesn't subscribe to institutions implying he would rather keep his concept of God personal...as he believes everyone else should.

How am I doing Captain?Koan I did not say that. I just don't go along with religions being pushed on people. In the end, everyone to their own beliefs.
Ted

Post by Ted »

koan :-6

One should bear in mind that the use of "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" is based on experience. Like all language used to describe or define the Divine, it is metaphor. We have no other way to talk about our experiences of the Divine. Unfortunately we are stuck with imperfect languages in this world.

Shalom

Ted :-6
koan

Post by koan »

capt_buzzard wrote: Koan I did not say that. I just don't go along with religions being pushed on people. In the end, everyone to their own beliefs.

I wasn't subscribing the Father, Son and Holy Ghost comment to you, Captain. :-6 That part was actually kind of a joke.

The part about you was only the ending which I believe says the same thing re institutions vs. personal beliefs.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

koan wrote: I wasn't subscribing the Father, Son and Holy Ghost comment to you, Captain. :-6 That part was actually kind of a joke.

The part about you was only the ending which I believe says the same thing re institutions vs. personal beliefs.Ahhh. :-6
Lon

Post by Lon »

capt_buzzard wrote: Britain's churches are to announce a pre-election conversion by declaring for the first time that they are in favour of wealth creation.

Until now they have been seen as deeply suspicious of free market economics, arguing for strong state intervention against debt and poverty rather than entrepreneurship. But a pre-general election report for Christians to be launched later this month says making money is good for religion.

The report, Prosperity With A Purpose - Christians and the Ethics of Affluence, concludes ''Under the right conditions, economic growth can serve God's purposes. And umbrella group of mainstream Christian denominations, Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, has the been preparing the document for a year. It has the backing of the Archbishops of Canterbury, Westminister and Glasgow.

The report says wealth creation and the pursuit of social justice should be inextricably linked and that advancing prosperity should leave nobody behind. It quotes the famous gospel passage that has been interpreted as meaning Christianity and wealth are incompatible. In the passage, Jesus tells his disciples, "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God". But here, the Churches have added, "With God All Things Are Possible"

It most certainly is.
I always thought that the folks selling the Prayer Cloths via various ads, had a pretty good thing going.

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

I'm really into the spiritual than Churches and other buildings built by men, but can be knocked down again.

Return to “Christianity”