Airline regulations

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
valerie

Airline regulations

Post by valerie »

Does anyone know if you can take a mini-Mag type flashlight in

carry-on? I looked at the TSA website but they don't cover those.

I can carry tools or a screwdriver 7 inches or less or a nail file,

(EEK!) but I guess they'd be hard put to cover everything.

No snow globes, in case you were wondering!

:p
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

minks

Airline regulations

Post by minks »

valerie;693585 wrote: Does anyone know if you can take a mini-Mag type flashlight in

you mean I can not travel with my snow globes in my carryone OMG what is the world coming to.

I wish I could help ya out there my dear sowwy no clue.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
KB.

Airline regulations

Post by KB. »

Call the airport; ask to speak with who ever is in charge of security relations with customers.
Life ain't linear.
cars

Airline regulations

Post by cars »

Yeah Val, like KB said, call the airport & ask a live person if you can bring it on board. Just about two weeks ago at our local airport here they changed the rules. Cigarette "lighters" used to be "banned"! They found it cost them too much to properly dispose of the thousands of lighters they confiscated weekly per EPA regulations. So . . . . Now they allow them on board!
Cars :)
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Airline regulations

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Over here you wouldn't get within a hundred yards of the plane carrying a screwdriver or a nail file so regs vary. As has been said, talk to the horses mouth - 'phone the airline and ask.
Patsy Warnick

Airline regulations

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Val

I've seen people with those small battery operated lights for book reading.

I fly a couple of times a year and I've never heard the rule changing for it to be OK for a screw driver

You'll need to call - rules change all the time. have a great time on your trip..

Patsy
valerie

Airline regulations

Post by valerie »

TSA Regs

Scroll down about 3/4 of the page... under "Tools" and there it is!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Nomad

Airline regulations

Post by Nomad »

valerie;693585 wrote: Does anyone know if you can take a mini-Mag type flashlight in

Rectum

Its the only way
I AM AWESOME MAN
AussiePam

Airline regulations

Post by AussiePam »

Valerie, unless you really need any of those things ON the plane, it's much better to put them all in your other baggage. Regs vary, but it's a real pain to have stuff confiscated. A couple of tiny makeup things (fluids less than 100ml), a lipcream, a book, your travel documents and purse and nothing much else. You can now take an iPod and your cell phone, you couldn't for a while round Heathrow anyway.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

jedc53

Airline regulations

Post by jedc53 »

If I had a gold star sticker you'd get it for pretending to be blind.My perfect light would be a Maglight LED with the focusing beam.I've been really hesitant about buying an LED light because they simply didn't impress me at night.Mini Maglite is a massively popular product,I fly a couple of times a year and I've never heard the rule changing for screw driver.
m3 real
LarsMac

Airline regulations

Post by LarsMac »

The TSA likes to keep people guessing.

I have a tiny maglite (uses one AAA battery) that I have carried in my computer bag, which has seldom caught the attention of the security folks. When they do notice it, they open it to be certain there is nothing more than a battery inside. However, on my last trip, when returning from Toronto, the guy had to go check with his superior, and they spent twenty minutes discussing it, while I stood waiting. (valuable time which I could have been sitting in the travel lounge enjoying a beer)

As suggested, I find it to be better for my sanity to NEVER travel with anything of real personal value to me, and to put everything in checked bags except a change of clothes (in case the checked bags get to wandering elsewhere) and basic toiletry items, and my computer and camera.

The magic word when traveling by air: Simplify.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
albertpollard

Airline regulations

Post by albertpollard »

May I try to clear a few things up here? Sorry about the 20 minute wait with the mag lite. Are you sure it was TSA? People see someone in a uniform at an airport and it HAS to be TSA not customs or even the local police. That being said, if it was TSA they are IDIOTS! thank you very much.

The web site is your friend, they try to keep it up to date. The tool ban was lifted almost two years ago. It includes scissors. If the scissors are less than 4 inches from the fulcrum (where they screw together) to the point.

Unfortunately if you are traveling through several airports there are 'differences in interpretation' of the rules.

The judgment of whether something can go or not is also based on the officers overall assessment of the individual.

As with every government agency there are individuals who go overboard in their duties.
NEWS FLASH! The Universe is God's Petri Dish.
LarsMac

Airline regulations

Post by LarsMac »

albertpollard;1306130 wrote: May I try to clear a few things up here? Sorry about the 20 minute wait with the mag lite. Are you sure it was TSA? People see someone in a uniform at an airport and it HAS to be TSA not customs or even the local police. That being said, if it was TSA they are IDIOTS! thank you very much.

The web site is your friend, they try to keep it up to date. The tool ban was lifted almost two years ago. It includes scissors. If the scissors are less than 4 inches from the fulcrum (where they screw together) to the point.

Unfortunately if you are traveling through several airports there are 'differences in interpretation' of the rules.

The judgment of whether something can go or not is also based on the officers overall assessment of the individual.

As with every government agency there are individuals who go overboard in their duties.

You are correct. This guy was TSA.

I don't hold any real grudge against them. They do what they are told.

In my experience, there is little to be gained arguing with them. It can only end up delaying your arrival at the gate. If the guy says you can't take that item, you might as well give it up and move on.

Avoid bringing anything that might catch their attention, and move through the security line and get on with your life. If you argue with them it becomes "the more you want to bring that item on the plane with you, the less reason they see for letting you." If it means that much to you, it might be a problem.

I tried several times a few years ago to argue and found that it only angered them and caused me delay and frustration. Regardless of their IQ level or education, they have the authority to keep you from getting on your plane. Don't **** them off, and your life (at least within that particular airport on that day) will be significantly smoother.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
droby

Airline regulations

Post by droby »

You should be apple to take a simple flashlight, it's not like it's a weapon, well maybe if you hit someone over the head with it, but since you are a decent person and the security dude can see that, so they should let you. These security measures are totally overblown anyways, nobody ever walks around with a bomb or something else, it just doesn't happen. It's annyoing enough you can't even take your drink bottle.

Return to “Travel Vacation”