Mexico, Cuba or Dominican?

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
HagarTheHorrible

Post by HagarTheHorrible »

Planning on heading south this spring. No definite destination yet but Mexico, Cuba or the Dominican Republic are likely spots. I'd appreiate hearing from anyone that has 'been there - done that" to benefit from their experience. If you have any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body

but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY CRAP! WHAT A RIDE!"
Lon

Post by Lon »

I have been to all three Haggar and would have to opt for Mexico. Why? More diversified. Matzatlan is quite different from Vera Cruz, Puerto Vallerta is much different than Mexico City (which is big, polluted but interesing). Temperatures vary considerably depening on where in Mexico you go. Hot dry North, Hot humid South. Food varies throughout the country. Finally, cheaper to get there from Canada.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Hi Hagar :)

I like Veradero Cuba, the beach is fabulous, hotels & food very good (assuming you don't pic a cheapy) Which hotel were you looking at? Ihave stayed at a few.

Dominican, I like Punta Cana (Bavaro Beach area) also Puerto Plata (dorado beach area) but I do not like Sosua... you really can't go wrong here in the DR - this is a hotbed for Canadian tourists, planeloads arrive every day. Again, what hotels are you looking at?

Mexico, I like Mexico ~ especially Puerto Vallarta, I am not a big Cancun fan (too busy) but the Tulum area is really nice. I hate Acapulco, but Mazatlan, CaboSanLucas is nice, also Cozumel.

If you are still open for suggestions, I have always loved St Lucia, Grand Cayman or the British/US Virgins -but they are a little more expensive.

The world is your oyster :)

Are the packages you are looking for coming through Montreal or Toronto? or are you getting direct flights? I can give you a contact for excellent customer service and the best sell off prices - you can email them :)

(My ex husband and best travel agent on the planet)
libertine

Post by libertine »

Here's a second vote for Mexico, for much the same reasons. If you want beach the west coast is great, if you want History, Yucatan is perfect. Guadalahara is a pretty city and fun to be in. The people are friendly. and youcan drive down if you want to.

I have not been to Cuba..really want to go, maybe someday. Did go to the D.R. a couple of times(passing through) and didn't find the peole too friendly although some of the island is beautiful. Not too diversified, however.
Leigh79

Post by Leigh79 »

Hi Hagar

I have been to both Mexico (Cancun) and the Dominican (Punta Cana).

It all really depends on what you are looking for - both are fantastic destinations but for a variety of different reasons.

The areas that I travelled to are very much the typical Caribbean beach resorts. The Dominican is great, (I'm going back this year again!), if you are looking for something very relaxing as there aren't many opportunities to leave your hotel complex.

Cancun is very lively with plenty of bars etc for the younger crowd, plus there are several excursions that you can take part in such as visiting Chichen-Itza.

Both are great! - Unfortunately can't comment on Cuba - never been there!
Unbiased Holiday Travel Reviews and Opinions

Return to “Travel Vacation”