Holiday's Vacations 2005

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
capt_buzzard

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by capt_buzzard »

Camping enthusiasts in Ireland are willing to spend 185,000 euros on a top-of-the range mobile home. The Caravan/Trailer complete with all mod-cons and central heating is just one of the offers on sale to Irish holiday-makers this year. Most British & Irish people headed for European countries like Spain and Portugal to the sun and sandy beaches in the 1970s/80s. Today, its India, Jamiaca, Cuba, Malta, Romania, Bulgaria and Florida USA.

Where do Americans, Canadians spend their holidays?
Cass

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by Cass »

We have been going to Florida twice a year for the past several years (Disney) because my daughter was at the perfect age for trips like that.

But last year we started branching out a bit with an Alaskan Cruise as well as Disney.

This summer we are going on a Ranch Holiday where the main focus for my daughter will be horseback riding 24/7 and for me - relaxing with no TV, phones or computer (I don't do horses)

Then in December we will get our disney fix :)
minks

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by minks »

Gosh Let me see we Canucks tend to gravitate to warmer climes, sooooo I have been to California a whole lot, Las Vegas (oooo let me go back again please), Arizona too. Um Hawaii is popular as is Mexico. I have been to Jamaica also. Don't forget North America has 2 giant countries so sometimes financially we can only afford to hop over to the next province. I have spent many a summer in the interior of British Columbia as well as many a christmas on Vancouver Island and every September I take a week in Fairmont Brithsh Columbia to golf. Another fave holiday is to just get away to the mountains and camp, as well
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
lady cop

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by lady cop »

Cass, i know you really enjoy standing in long lines in your high heels at disney, (i would rather have surgery with a rusty spoon) but have you ever considered any other of the beautiful places florida has to offer? the keys for example, or some of the gorgeous beaches on both coasts... NASA is very interesting and educational. miami has a great zoo. if you insist on orlando, have you been to sea world? really worthwhile, Noel would probably love it. florida is so much more than the $$$$mouse!! :rolleyes: and i don't even like it here...except for the keys. :-6
A Karenina

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by A Karenina »

The Keys are fun. As a kid, I used to camp there for weeks on end, lobster diving and causing general mayhem. :)

I vacation at work. LOL. I cash out my vacation pay twice a year, and will keep doing it for another 2 years, I think. Come May, I get 5 more vacation days a year - woohooo!

I'll be trotting to Oklahoma in November, and San Antonio next April. These are just a day or two each, to see my son graduate from his training. I'm taking an Alaskan cruise when I graduate school (late 2006), and my best friend has agreed to come with me. I'm very excited about that! And, trumpets blowing, I'll be taking another vacation in September 2007 to Hawaii with friends from work. Yay!

I just gotta finish paying my dues first. :)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
Lon

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by Lon »

Most of the people that I know in California go to Baja California (Mexican Peninsula), or Hawaii.

My east coast friends seem to prefer Florida and the Caribbean.
kensloft

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by kensloft »

Holiday? Haven't had one for a long time. Usually up North in the back country. Love the air and the water. The water is usually cold and refreshing. Makes you swim just to keep warm. Never been off the continent.
Cass

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by Cass »

lady cop wrote: Cass, i know you really enjoy standing in long lines in your high heels at disney, (i would rather have surgery with a rusty spoon) but have you ever considered any other of the beautiful places florida has to offer? the keys for example, or some of the gorgeous beaches on both coasts... NASA is very interesting and educational. miami has a great zoo. if you insist on orlando, have you been to sea world? really worthwhile, Noel would probably love it. florida is so much more than the $$$$mouse!! :rolleyes: and i don't even like it here...except for the keys. :-6 I have been all over florida and the caribbean, I stayed on islamaranda and key west, spent weeks in daytona, melbourne, tampa, frt lauderdale... I have had lots of beach holidays in Fla, caribbean, mediterranean ~ it's time for pixie dust.
lady cop

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by lady cop »

Islamorada....purple isle...*sigh* one of my favorite places in the United States. sunset at the lorelei, with a margarita of course, oysters at the islamorada fish company, the zane grey bar at world-wide sportsman, world-class diving.... i have to get back on down there! :-6 :driving:
capt_buzzard

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by capt_buzzard »

>>^..^ I have been all over florida and the caribbean, I stayed on islamaranda and key west, spent weeks in daytona, melbourne, tampa, frt lauderdale... I have had lots of beach holidays in Fla, caribbean, mediterranean ~ it's time for pixie dust. You guys are only across the street 'Canada and the US. It takes us 7 hours to reach Florida, from Dublin :-5
Cass

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by Cass »

capt_buzzard wrote: You guys are only across the street 'Canada and the US. It takes us 7 hours to reach Florida, from Dublin :-5
Only a 2 hour flight from Toronto to Orlando! takes over 3 hours to drive to a cottage up in northern ontario :-3
capt_buzzard

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by capt_buzzard »

>>^..^ Only a 2 hour flight from Toronto to Orlando! takes over 3 hours to drive to a cottage up in northern ontario :-3 If I did live in the United States - there is so many states to visit and holiday WOW.
Cass

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by Cass »

capt_buzzard wrote: If I did live in the United States

Nah... you'd miss the rain
capt_buzzard

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by capt_buzzard »

>>^..^ Nah... you'd miss the rain The Rain is off the last few days. Its to return Wednesday. :-5
libertine

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by libertine »

Like a lot of Canadians, we in Alaska head for the sun when we vacation. I'm heading for the Caribbean in a week, but usually we go to the 'lower 48' for R & R. It seems like North Americans are a provincial bunch because we don't get off our continent much, but in reality, a trip for me to Florida is as distant as someone in a European Country going to Africa. I can fly to Hong Kong just as easily.

And we don't have the vacation time that Europeans have, unfortunately. Although retirement brings lots f time for travel if one is so inclined.

In the summer, here, we do a lot of camping, but not in high end motor homes. But a lot of those seem to make their way to Alaska for whatever reason..usually the scenery.
capt_buzzard

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by capt_buzzard »

libertine wrote: Like a lot of Canadians, we in Alaska head for the sun when we vacation. I'm heading for the Caribbean in a week, but usually we go to the 'lower 48' for R & R. It seems like North Americans are a provincial bunch because we don't get off our continent much, but in reality, a trip for me to Florida is as distant as someone in a European Country going to Africa. I can fly to Hong Kong just as easily.

And we don't have the vacation time that Europeans have, unfortunately. Although retirement brings lots f time for travel if one is so inclined.

In the summer, here, we do a lot of camping, but not in high end motor homes. But a lot of those seem to make their way to Alaska for whatever reason..usually the scenery.
www.meteireann.ie/
libertine

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by libertine »

capt_buzzard wrote: www.meteireann.ie/

As I write, the temperature here is almost the same ( 25F) however, it is still dark at 8:30 a.m., there is 52" of snow on the ground, and it won't be spring until sometime in May. It has been winter since about November 1. and the temperature has risen from -20 just a few days ago, where it languished for several days.

We not only go south for HEAT but for daylight and lush green foliage which I bet even at 7C you have in Ireland :D

Vacation means getting away from the usual rut, so it's different for different people. My brother-in-law swears it isn't a 'vacation' unless he is lying by a pool somewhere with a scotch and water by his side. His wife (my sister) expects a vacation to include trekking to historic sights and viewing artifacts of whatever type. You can imagine THAT household come retirement! :rolleyes:
Cass

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by Cass »

Hi libertine ~ where abouts are you in Alaska? I was there last summer on a cruise, we stopped at ketchikan, juneau, skagway & wrangell & cruised the inside passage, tracy arm & sawyer glacier.. wonderful vacation :)
libertine

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by libertine »

>>^..^ Hi libertine ~ where abouts are you in Alaska? I was there last summer on a cruise, we stopped at ketchikan, juneau, skagway & wrangell & cruised the inside passage, tracy arm & sawyer glacier.. wonderful vacation :)

I'm on the Kenai Peninsula. You'll have to venture further north next time. Southeastern has spectacular scenery, though, and I understand a really beautiful summer last year! You chose a good year to come to Alaska.

After sharpening my pencil... I should correct my earlier post about the temperature. 7C is equal to about 40F, not 24. Too early and too dark :confused: for me to figure!! It is 24F here this morning!
Cass

Holiday's Vacations 2005

Post by Cass »

libertine wrote: I I understand a really beautiful summer last year! You chose a good year to come to Alaska.

It was 80 - 85 degrees everyday and we were dying, way too hot - we brought far far too many clothes, it was caribbean weather. :-3

Return to “Travel Vacation”