Onions..

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Sheryl

Onions..

Post by Sheryl »

what makes them so potent. Is one variety more potent than another? I just chopped a red onion, and started tearing up before I even really cut into the thing. :-1

Anyone have any tips on preventing the tears?
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Sheryl

Onions..

Post by Sheryl »

Aww I had one of those v-cutter things (mandolin) But I took the skin off the back of my thumb with it, so it went in the trash. :wah:

my son
Sheryl

Onions..

Post by Sheryl »

:wah: :wah:

I would try that, but I'd definatly end up in the ER with my hubby missing a finger or two!

my son
Sheryl

Onions..

Post by Sheryl »

:wah:

my son
RedGlitter

Onions..

Post by RedGlitter »

The onions contain a compound called propanethial-S-oxide, which is a kind of sulfoxide. When you cut them and the invisible mist comes into contact with a wet membrane (nose, eyes), it then dissolves into sulfuric acid which is what is so irritating to you.

Here are a bunch of "remedies" for the crying, including some that work and some that are just wives tales.

I'm pasting:

Use a sharp knife.

This is more common sense than a cure. A dull knife will crush the onion cells more than a cleanly slicing sharp blade, and the crushed cells will release more of the deadly spray into the atmosphere. Some say that a stainless steel knife is best because it supposedly lessens the severity of the onion juice (and stainless steel rubbed on your hands afterward take the smell away) but this is uncertain. At any rate this method is no cure because even the sharpest knife slices plenty of cells up and releases the caustic gas.

Hold a wooden matchstick between your teeth -- match head out.

Maybe someone thought this up to see how much he could get someone else to act like a clown. The theory is that the match head attracts and absorbs all the bad chemicals. There is no magical matchstick magnetism that can significantly reduce the sulfuric aerosol; so all I can say is try it to prove it to yourself (it didn't work for me).

Hold a piece of bread in your mouth.

Some say to chew the bread also. But as with the match above, the bread cannot have any significant attractive force on the onion spray. When I tried this it seemed to delay the onset of tears (but not for long) so it may not be totally ineffective.

Breath only through your mouth.

This may be combined with the bread in the mouth too. I can see that if no air is flowing through the nose membranes it may reduce the irritation there, but it doesn't help the eyes, which are the main cause of pain.

Chew on a raw onion.

This method appears so ridiculous I can see no physical reason why one would want to put another source of onion spray even closer to his sensitive mucous membranes.

Don't chop the onion root -- or do it last.

The reasoning is that the root end of the onion has a higher concentration of these nasty chemicals. That may be so, but the difference is not very great since the non-root onion releases plenty of noxious fumes.

Keep the outer skin on the onion as long as possible.

This is an attempt to contain the onion in some part to reduce the surface exposed to the air. The reduction in onion mist is minimal at best since all that sliced onion flesh is exposed to the air.

Chop the onion under water, under running water, or pre-soak in water.

This 'under water' lore seems quite pervasive; I cannot imagine trying to hold and contain all the diced onion bits (which float away) under a sink filled with water. In theory if the onion was exposed only to water and not air the sulfoxide would be washed away by the water and never become airborne. A variant is to have running water nearby the chopping area in the hopes that it will obtain some of this aforementioned magical attractive power (this didn't work for me.) Another scheme is to soak the onion peeled (even cut in half or quarters) in water for some length of time to draw out the juices. While this may reduce the fumes some it only penetrates so far; once I started slicing into onion the spray was as bad as before.

Wear contact lenses to shield eye surface from airborne spray.

I don't wear contacts so I can't say firsthand, but they don't cover the whole eye surface (leaving it partially exposed) and don't do anything for the nose. Besides, see the next suggestion.

Don't wear contact lenses.

The acid gets between the lens and the eye for an even more excruciating pain.

Wear swim goggles or a diving mask.

This solution actually works because the particles in the air are prevented from touching your skin. The goggles will only protect your eyes, and with the mask you have to breath out of your mouth. It is cumbersome and uncomfortable, and it doesn't protect any one else in the room.

Use a fan to blow away or suck up the fumes.

If you can get a strong enough fan or cut your onions outside where there is a breeze, I can see this method as somewhat effective. If inside, wherever you blow the fumes (unless it's out a window) will be fumigated. Some say use the fan over the stove top, but it usually isn't strong enough; besides it draws the air up, where your head is likely to be. With a fan it is best to blow horizontally, away from the face.

Place onions in the freezer for 20 minutes before cutting.

When the onion juices are chilled they are less likely to become airborne. This strategy is the most well-known solution to the onion problem, but it simply does not work. Unless the onion is actually frozen, there will still be onion juice sprayed in the air (besides, unless you store them in the refrigerator you have to wait for the onion to chill before you can cut it.)

Put white vinegar on the chopping block to neutralize chemicals.

I tried this method, and it actually works. The stinging in the eyes was almost eliminated, but the smell was not very pleasant. The moist vinegar on the onion interferes with frying, and its flavor may taint some foods.

Burn a candle near the work area.

This rarely-known technique is based on the fact that the candle flame pulls air from around it and sends it up the smoke plume. Although surprisingly effective, a single candle usually cannot handle the large amount of aerosol generated by a lot of dicing or fine slicing. This last technique holds the secret to the final solution. And now the answer you've all been waiting for:

Place the cutting board next to a gas range and turn on a burner or two. The heat and flames draw in the onion mist, burn it, and send it up with the rest of the flame exhaust. In the heat the chemical changes such that it no longer irritates the eyes. One could also use the hood exhaust fan while the burners are on. The only drawback with this solution is that some unlucky fools aren't cooking with gas. They could try an electric range on high, but it doesn't really work (better to use several candles instead.) A poor stove arrangement might make it difficult or force you to cut left handed, but it can usually be worked out (and you don't have to stand very close to the flame). As with the fan, you want the flame to pull the onion fumes away from your face. And as pertains to all methods, you want to keep your face as far away from the hacking and hewing action at the cutting board as you can. I have a range with four burners: two on the left and two on the right with a big space between them where I put the cutting board. I turn on the two right burners, stand a bit to the left, and cut with my right hand.
Bill Sikes

Onions..

Post by Bill Sikes »

Sheryl;653189 wrote: Anyone have any tips on preventing the tears?

Cut them up out of doors, or at least where there's good ventilation (perhaps under a cooker hood?).
sunny104

Onions..

Post by sunny104 »

I just chop quickly and get it over with! :o :D I LOVE onions!! :yh_drool
joesoap

Onions..

Post by joesoap »

“Do not fear the Onion, for that would be foolish”:wah:

Paul.
minks

Onions..

Post by minks »

joesoap;654579 wrote: “Do not fear the Onion, for that would be foolish”:wah:

Paul.

ahahahahaha :wah:
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Sheryl

Onions..

Post by Sheryl »

sunny104;653737 wrote: I just chop quickly and get it over with! I LOVE onions!! :yh_drool

so you got onion breath huh!....:-3

my son
sunny104

Onions..

Post by sunny104 »

Sheryl;657400 wrote: so you got onion breath huh!....:-3

well, what do you do with them?? :D

*sunny breathes on sheryl and runs away* :wah:
Nomad

Onions..

Post by Nomad »

The world is just a great big onion

& pain & fear are the spices that make you cry

Oh, & the only way to get rid of this great big onion

Is to plant love seeds until it dies, uh huh

I AM AWESOME MAN
pinkchick

Onions..

Post by pinkchick »

Nomad;657609 wrote: The world is just a great big onion

& pain & fear are the spices that make you cry

Oh, & the only way to get rid of this great big onion

Is to plant love seeds until it dies, uh huh

Did you just think that up????:confused: :sneaky:
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Sheryl

Onions..

Post by Sheryl »

sunny104;657412 wrote: well, what do you do with them?? :D

*sunny breathes on sheryl and runs away* :wah:

hmmm guess I'll go munch on a few cloves of garlic and breath on you! :p

my son
Uncle Kram

Onions..

Post by Uncle Kram »

Peel them underwater.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Madcow

Onions..

Post by Madcow »

Whoa lots of good tips in here. I usually just rinse it under a running tap (after peeling off the skin) before cutting. It's not a 100% though so I'm definately going to have to try out some of this other techniques.
G-man

Onions..

Post by G-man »

I don't seem to have this issue with cutting onions... but I've heard that taking a drink of water and not swallowing, helps. Also, I know that uncooked onions become more potent with age and that sautéing onions on high heat will make them become more bitter.

Also, don't listen to what you've heard concerning sweeter onions... some of the onions that have higher sugar content can be more pungent than most onion varieties... sugar level really has nothing to do with it, necessarily. Some sweet onion (ie. less pungent) varieties to shop for, though... Vidalia, Walla Walla, Granex, Cipollini and Maui.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Return to “The Kitchen”