Madeleine McCann - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
weinbeck

Post by weinbeck »

The Sunday Express states that Elton John has been lined up to front a global pop concert, to carry the message of missing Madeleine McCann's plight to every corner of the earth. It is hoped the singer will headline a huge series of worldwide events to mark a special Madeleine Day that her parents are planning in the effort to find the vanished four-year-old. It carries on to say that with Elton John spearheading the show, a swarm of other film and popstars will jump on the band wagon. Regardless of how well meaning their intentions may be, with every newspaper carring the tragic but common plight of the couple in search for their missing daughter on a virtually daily basis, I feel this is a clear case of overkill. The cruel, hard, cold fact of the matter, is Madeleine McCann is just one of thousands of youngsters who go missing every year throughout the world, each carrying their own crisis. Call me a cold-hearted bas*ard if you wish, but to Elton John and others (some who no doubt will use it as a convenient launch pad to kick-start their flagging carreers) I say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. It is a tragic case which has been milked by the news media to such an extent, people are no longer buy the newspaper, or if they do, don't bother reading the case. Even to the extent of them visiting the Pope and kissing their other children goodbye, every fullstop and comma has been covered by the press. I'm surprised Max Clifford hasn't got in on the act!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I can't disagree with you, Weinbeck.

I've thought the same thing many times about other missing people and I don't mean to be cold either. I just see your point.

On the other hand...whatever it takes to find even one is worth it.
neffy

Post by neffy »

i am realy sorry for the mum and dad,yhey feel very guilty for leaving there childern.She wont be the first nor she wont be the last.I pray that she wil be found alive.
The rottie queen
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

on a personal note ,if my child was missing and i did not know if she was dead or alive , THERE COULD NEVER BE ENOUGH

anything and everything to keep her in the public eye so someone might have there memory jogged :( :(

and if it was your child or loved one you would feel the same

believe me people i really do know :(
spot

Post by spot »

It astounds me that a world in which it's acceptable for the Western Powers to slaughter hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children by deliberate choice is also a place where this lunatic media circus can be encouraged.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I dont think we will ever see this child again but at what point do you as a parent give up the search & go home. 1 month, 2, 3, a year?
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

buttercup;628268 wrote: I dont think we will ever see this child again but at what point do you as a parent give up the search & go home. 1 month, 2, 3, a year?

never
Bez

Post by Bez »

A parent will NEVER give up .............. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 221689.stm
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Bez;628283 wrote: A parent will NEVER give up .............. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 221689.stm

great post bez :-6 :-6
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

But the parents will have to go back to work at some point. Family life will have to resume some sort of normality for the other two children.
weinbeck

Post by weinbeck »

jimbo;628230 wrote: on a personal note ,if my child was missing and i did not know if she was dead or alive , THERE COULD NEVER BE ENOUGH

anything and everything to keep her in the public eye so someone might have there memory jogged :( :(

and if it was your child or loved one you would feel the same

believe me people i really do know :(

Don't get me wrong - I too personally know the crisis and blind terror that goes through a person's mind when somebody goes missing, and it doesn't have to be a child of four. Scouring the streets, the endless phone calls, the police, the intrusive questions - "has she ever done this type of thing before?" "Did she have a row with anybody?" But the worst question is always the last: "Is she street-wise?" Followed by dead silence as they look at one another, take their notes and leave. How the sudden 1.30am phone call tells you that they have, in some cases, been found and are being held in some police station and can you come along and collect them. How you are unable to respond to the words because on hearing that, you have already collapsed on the floor and are bringing up the contents of your stomach. Yes, dear God, yes, I know what it's like, and that is where a search has been fruitful. How much more torment is it for both parents when nothing is heard, so there is no need to lecture me.

What I do feel is wrong is the overkill of the story where, like I said, very personal details of your life are broadcast and printed in the papers day after day. Close-up photo's of the torment those two are going through as the met the pope aren't particularly helpful. Are a few Hail Mary's going to produce the child from thin air? "Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted." Maybe so, but give them room. Prayer is private, something you do behind closed doors, and believe me you do. Atheist or Christian, you pray with every ounce of strength you've got. Pray for them, if you're so inclined, but don't make a big show of it. I genuinely feel for this couple, but the public themselves are now getting sick and tired of everybody jumping on the bandwagon. I half expected Esther Rantzen (the queen of professional do-gooders) to have her say in the matter. There are, as I said literally thousands of youngsters who go missing for a variety of reasons - no two cases are identical. It would be impossible for every case to be highlited. All I am saying, is don't swamp every newspaper with non-vital information. Footballer Paul Gascoigne was a classic example of overkill - cried in the pitch. Suddenly it was Gazza, Gazza, Gazza in every bloody paper! If Gazza blew his nose on the pitch, they'd turn it into a feature article.

All I'm saying, is give them room.
spot

Post by spot »

Here's another turn of the screw:The advertising watchdog has rejected complaints from parents about a cinema commercial highlighting the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. The advertisement was shown before the U-rated film Shrek the Third and prompted hundreds of comments on a mothers' website.

It showed pictures of Madeleine, four, who vanished in Portugal, and said she had been snatched. But the advertising watchdog said it did not contain distressing images.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6957905.stm

Is "it did not contain distressing images" pertinent when showing the facts to a theater-full of under-tens without pre-warning their parents? I think this is beyond mere overkill, this has been deliberately made a into a spectator sport.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

buttercup;628268 wrote: I dont think we will ever see this child again but at what point do you as a parent give up the search & go home. 1 month, 2, 3, a year?

Never - if it was my child I would never give up!
Very nearly perfect ... :D
spot

Post by spot »

pinkchick;683574 wrote: Never - if it was my child I would never give up!

What has that to do with the publicity? How is the publicity supposed to bring any benefit? Especially when played just in front of Shrek 3.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

pinkchick;683574 wrote: Never - if it was my child I would never give up!

i'm with you pinky ,

my girl was missing from my life for 12 years i never ever gave up

no parent ever would :(
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

spot;683578 wrote: What has that to do with the publicity? How is the publicity supposed to bring any benefit? Especially when played just in front of Shrek 3.

I'm just saying that I would do whatever it took to get my child back.....

I couldn't live with myself if I gave up:-1
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

spot;683578 wrote: What has that to do with the publicity? How is the publicity supposed to bring any benefit? Especially when played just in front of Shrek 3.

If I had a child that had been taken, I would want as much awareness as possible, if that means showing it at a cinema so be it, most folks watch the news in their house and the kids hear all about it there, I don't see the difference.

I really don't believe that the kids that saw that would be harmed in anyway, chances are by the time the they was ten mins into the movie, not one of those kids would be thinking of Maddie.

My daughter has got an advert for Maddie attached to her bebo account, as do many of her friends.

I really don't understand why everyone is so up in arms about the publicity, I think as a parent, god forbid that anything like that should happen to me, I would want it shown and played everywhere in the chance that someone might remember or have a sighting.

My heart goes out to the family, I just hope and pray that Maddie is still alive and being treated ok.
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

spot

Post by spot »

Nobody is going near my question of how the publicity can possibly have a beneficial effect. I'm honestly trying to work out the slightest way in which it could have one. Is anybody prepared to list the potential benefits? The publicity is surely not meant as a memorial tribute.
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

spot;683617 wrote: Nobody is going near my question of how the publicity can possibly have a beneficial effect. I'm honestly trying to work out the slightest way in which it could have one. Is anybody prepared to list the potential benefits? The publicity is surely not meant as a memorial tribute.

Public awareness, so people keep looking out for Maddie, do you not think that that reason is beneficial Spot?

pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

spot;683617 wrote: Nobody is going near my question of how the publicity can possibly have a beneficial effect. I'm honestly trying to work out the slightest way in which it could have one. Is anybody prepared to list the potential benefits? The publicity is surely not meant as a memorial tribute.

I would hope that publicity would - at the very least - jog someone's memory.

Surely publicity would make people more aware of the situation.
spot

Post by spot »

If I were asked my opinion it would be that, every time the abductor sees any publicity, the pressure to kill the girl would increase. Good behind-the-scenes police work is far more likely to retrieve her safely than having the abductor rattled and nervous.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

spot;683703 wrote: If I were asked my opinion it would be that, every time the abductor sees any publicity, the pressure to kill the girl would increase. Good behind-the-scenes police work is far more likely to retrieve her safely than having the abductor rattled and nervous.

I agree, my fear is that the abductor is watching and keeping track of all of the publicity and knowing what is going on....basically... "watching what the enemy is doing"....

But on the other hand as a Parent, I'd want no stone un-turned and want Everyone and their brother out looking for my baby....I would NEVER stop, not until the day I died....I am among those that know what its like to not know where your children are for a period of time, mine was luckily only about an hour, but still felt like eternity...:-1:-1:-1
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

My heart breaks for this poor little girl. God knows what she has been through and is going through.

People say they feel terrible for the parents, and I agree to a point, my question is though, why have they not been charged with child abandonment. They left a little girl and baby twins alone in a hotel room while they went of eating and drinking with their friends. And you can bet you ass it was not the first night they did this. If the child was abducted you can be sure the perpetrator was sure of a pattern, so he/she could get away with it.

These parents are guilty of neglect and should be charged.

As for me, if my kids disappeared, I would never stop looking, but that is a very low risk, because I would never go out without making sure they were well minded in the first place.
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

spot;683703 wrote: If I were asked my opinion it would be that, every time the abductor sees any publicity, the pressure to kill the girl would increase. Good behind-the-scenes police work is far more likely to retrieve her safely than having the abductor rattled and nervous.

I believe that if they wanted to kill her they would have done it already (hope to God they haven't), it would be niave for anyone to think they could abduct a child and there be no publicity, many sickos would probably feed off of it, get some kind of thrill. I totally agree that the behind the scene police work would retrieve Maddie, but IMO the police have ballsed up over there, as soon as she was reported missing they should have closed every entry/exit to that town and outskirts. I think that whoever did this thinks that they are untouchable and that they can't/won't be caught.

mikeinie;683747 wrote: My heart breaks for this poor little girl. God knows what she has been through and is going through.

People say they feel terrible for the parents, and I agree to a point, my question is though, why have they not been charged with child abandonment. They left a little girl and baby twins alone in a hotel room while they went of eating and drinking with their friends. And you can bet you ass it was not the first night they did this. If the child was abducted you can be sure the perpetrator was sure of a pattern, so he/she could get away with it.

These parents are guilty of neglect and should be charged.

As for me, if my kids disappeared, I would never stop looking, but that is a very low risk, because I would never go out without making sure they were well minded in the first place.

Do you not think that they are paying enough? Do you as a parent never make mistakes? I agree in that I have and never would leave my kids to go out, but I have made plenty of other mistakes. I think they are paying enough without being charged for child abandonment!

mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Do you not think that they are paying enough? Do you as a parent never make mistakes? I agree in that I have and never would leave my kids to go out, but I have made plenty of other mistakes. I think they are paying enough without being charged for child abandonment!

Sometimes, then I think of what that little girl could be going through, and no. They are ultimatly responsible for what happened to her, they left a 3 year old and two 2 years olds alone when there were baby sitting services available.

If this had happened to a single mother, and not two doctors, what would the public reaction be?
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

mikeinie;683762 wrote: Do you not think that they are paying enough? Do you as a parent never make mistakes? I agree in that I have and never would leave my kids to go out, but I have made plenty of other mistakes. I think they are paying enough without being charged for child abandonment!

Sometimes, then I think of what that little girl could be going through, and no. They are ultimatly responsible for what happened to her, they left a 3 year old and two 2 years olds alone when there were baby sitting services available.

If this had happened to a single mother, and not two doctors, what would the public reaction be?

I agree that they shouldn't have left the children, but I think the price that they are left to pay is far greater than any police charge brought to them. I don't believe charges would be brought to anyone in that situation as I think they are paying the price tenfold.

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Well it's certainly keeping the police concentrating their efforts rather than sliding the case into the unsolved pile.
spot

Post by spot »

SuzyB;683759 wrote: IMO the police have ballsed up over there, as soon as she was reported missing they should have closed every entry/exit to that town and outskirts. I think that whoever did this thinks that they are untouchable and that they can't/won't be caught.Do you think there's a single country anywhere that does what you've suggested? Is it the way the English police act? Or the US police? I think not. Why should the police in Iberia if nobody else has ever done it? I'm honestly puzzled where these multiple standards come from. Which police force anywhere would have closed every entry/exit to that town and outskirts?
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

spot;683887 wrote: Do you think there's a single country anywhere that does what you've suggested? Is it the way the English police act? Or the US police? I think not. Why should the police in Iberia if nobody else has ever done it? I'm honestly puzzled where these multiple standards come from. Which police force anywhere would have closed every entry/exit to that town and outskirts?

I was under the impression that if a child is abducted here that the ports and airports were put on alert, I may well be wrong:thinking: I will ask the kids Dad what they normally do when he gets back from hols next week.

spot

Post by spot »

I expect some countries - including the US and UK, for all the good it does - do send details and a physical description and a photograph to some or all of the country's ports and airports if (big if!) there's reason to think the child might be taken abroad, though definitely not "as soon as she's reported missing". I'm quite sure that no country "closes every entry/exit to that town and outskirts" which is what I replied to.
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

spot;683903 wrote: I expect some countries - including the US and UK, for all the good it does - do send details and a physical description and a photograph to some or all of the country's ports and airports if (big if!) there's reason to think the child might be taken abroad, though definitely not "as soon as she's reported missing". I'm quite sure that no country "closes every entry/exit to that town and outskirts" which is what I replied to.

Oh Spot, silly me, I must remember to quote facts and figures for you. :thinking:

You must meet my Dad, you'd get on great.:-4:-4

Return to “General Chit Chat”