Don Imus' remarks

Discuss the latest political news.
Ciao, Bella!

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I didn't catch his show live, as I don't bother with him. However, I did see the video on youtube, and thought the comments made by him and his producer were uncalled for.

I just watched the live news conference where the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team responded, and thought they were all very lovely young ladies, articulate, and bright, unworthy of a stupid man's words.

I endorse firing of Imus and all those involved. We've got to send a message that shock radio cannot be used to cover racism.
RedGlitter

Don Imus' remarks

Post by RedGlitter »

We don't need to can anyone. He said what he said, it speaks for itself and anyone can say something stupid. We don't need any more kneejerk reactions to PC. You want to send a message, there are kids starving in Africa. That's something worth getting upset about.
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

This Freedom of Speech

Since when can we terminate someone for a statement

And why draw so much attention to that statement - there's so much more important issues to focus on - as Red stated..

Patsy
zinkyusa

Don Imus' remarks

Post by zinkyusa »

Patsy Warnick;590160 wrote: This Freedom of Speech

Since when can we terminate someone for a statement

And why draw so much attention to that statement - there's so much more important issues to focus on - as Red stated..

Patsy

I'm sure the free publicity will help his ratings.:-5
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
chonsigirl

Don Imus' remarks

Post by chonsigirl »

The women responded very well in their news conference, I just watched it too a little bit ago.
Shweet tatersalad

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

Do you think if he had said something like "Those little Goldilocks played like a bunch of crackers" any one would have said anything? NO!

How is it us white folk have too watch we say and what we do? Where is our American pride?

America is what it is,A mixing pot of ethnic back grounds,every one is exposed too everyone else.If you can't handle the truth then shut up and go burn a flag.

IMUS stays.

How long are we gonna cater too minorities?

What happens when WE get out numbered??

will we able too cry?[/SIZE

Oh and lets not forget Miachel Richerds and Rush Limbugh,O MY GOD,do we owe the non-whites our first born now?

Men and women died so that you can speak your mind,less they die in vien.
WonderWendy3

Don Imus' remarks

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Shweet tatersalad;590183 wrote: Do you think if he had said something like "Those little Goldilocks played like a bunch of crackers" any one would have said anything? NO!

How is it us white folk have too watch we say and what we do? Where is our American pride?

America is what it is,A mixing pot of ethnic back grounds,every one is exposed too everyone else.If you can't handle the truth then shut up and go burn a flag.

IMUS stays.

How long are we gonna cater too minorities?

What happens when WE get out numbered??

will we able too cry?[/SIZE

Oh and lets not forget Miachel Richerds and Rush Limbugh,O MY GOD,do we owe the non-whites our first born now?

Men and women died so that you can speak your mind,less they die in vien.

A Nappy Head HO is just outright nasty IMO....don't care what color my skin is....I'm with the freedom of speech and hate PC-ness as much as the next guy...but don't think it was right of him to say that....
zinkyusa

Don Imus' remarks

Post by zinkyusa »

WonderWendy3;590194 wrote: A Nappy Head HO is just outright nasty IMO....don't care what color my skin is....I'm with the freedom of speech and hate PC-ness as much as the next guy...but don't think it was right of him to say that....

it's really more mean and stupid than racist IMO..
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Ciao, Bella!

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

For the record, I am white. I do not believe in calling women anything derogatory, nor men, for that matter. Calling those young women "nappy-headed hos" and "jigaboobs" is nothing short of racism.

Free speech does not give me the right to attack anyone for their race, or looks. I see the looks, and hear the mutterings of people when I am with a black person, woman or man. I ignore them, because I know they're callous and inmature. However, it is hard to, and for my companion, harder, sometimes impossible.

Perhaps instead of firing Don Imus, he should be made to live as a black woman, and see what it's like.
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I don't condone the statement

Why is it that blacks can say it - but if a white person says it, they're terminated ?

If its a negative statement then NO ONE should say it..!!

Patsy
Ciao, Bella!

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Patsy, all I know is it just sounds wrong coming from a white person, esp. given the background and history of how white man has treated all minorities. Not every one has, but enough to make a very lasting impression. One my of best friends is black. She's tried to explain it to me, and the best analogy she came up with is this: "How would you feel if someone called you white trailer trash, even if they were joking?" Since it would be a joke gone too far, I wouldn't like it. That's how blacks look at such jokes toward them.

One of the young ladies on the team said something along these lines: "Unless the meaning of ho has changed in the last week, it is not a nice thing to say, or be called." I can't say as I blame her. Another of the ladies on the team stated that they'd made the national playoffs for the first time in Rutgers history. Where were the reporters then? Why not feed on something positive? The reporters came around when all the negativity came out.

On the Gulf/Emerald Coast of Florida, a lot of the counties are white only. As recently as 2 years ago, I personally saw a racist effigy with a noose around it's neck, suspended from a tall pine, in one of this counties, and was immediately scared. Actions such as that, and comments such as those made by Mel Gibson, Michael Richards, and Don Imus keep the flames of racism burning brightly.
WonderWendy3

Don Imus' remarks

Post by WonderWendy3 »

flopstock;590216 wrote: I think that if it is okay for african americans to use the terms when discussing one another, it needs to be just as okay for whites to use them.

If it is okay to call myself a 'fat pig', I have no right to object to zinky calling me the same thing, IMO.

If I don't want my kids using the F/P words, I can't use them. And I need to make it forbidden by my children to use them when describing someone, regardless of whether they are playing around with friends or not.

Do African American women call each other "nappy head ho's??" I'm just wondering....I've never heard that, I'm not trying to start an argument....just out of curiousity, I'm wonderin'.....:confused:
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

What makes you think I'm not Black ??

Patsy
zinkyusa

Don Imus' remarks

Post by zinkyusa »

Patsy Warnick;590240 wrote: What makes you think I'm not Black ??

Patsy

cuz you have pink eyes.;)
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;590042 wrote: We don't need to can anyone. He said what he said, it speaks for itself and anyone can say something stupid. We don't need any more kneejerk reactions to PC. You want to send a message, there are kids starving in Africa. That's something worth getting upset about.

I really don't understand this - you appear to be suggesting that, because kids are starving in Africa, it is OK for some headline hungry muppet to be insulting and offensive about anyone he likes?

He should be sacked - not so much for what he said as for his lack of jdgement in saying it. He is supposed to represent the station that employs him and the stations on which his show is syndicated - not have them issuing grovelling apologies and retractions.
RedGlitter

Don Imus' remarks

Post by RedGlitter »

Bryn Mawr;590310 wrote: I really don't understand this - you appear to be suggesting that, because kids are starving in Africa, it is OK for some headline hungry muppet to be insulting and offensive about anyone he likes?

He should be sacked - not so much for what he said as for his lack of jdgement in saying it. He is supposed to represent the station that employs him and the stations on which his show is syndicated - not have them issuing grovelling apologies and retractions.

No. I'm saying that he's as human as the rest of us and for so many people to get their drawers in a knot and pretend they've never heard such rotten things said before (or said them themselves) is a little pretentious. I'm also saying that I have a mind of my own and can generally recognize stupidity when I see it and can pass it off as such, without raking someone over the coals for it.

I'm saying that I don't really care what Imus thinks about anything. In the world scheme of people having no food, dying in the streets, etc, etc, Imus's stupid comment means nada. I realize what I'm saying is in direct conflict with that Nascar thing I got so upset about but in this case, I figure the more that's made of his remark, the more power given it.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;590359 wrote: No. I'm saying that he's as human as the rest of us and for so many people to get their drawers in a knot and pretend they've never heard such rotten things said before (or said them themselves) is a little pretentious. I'm also saying that I have a mind of my own and can generally recognize stupidity when I see it and can pass it off as such, without raking someone over the coals for it.

I'm saying that I don't really care what Imus thinks about anything. In the world scheme of people having no food, dying in the streets, etc, etc, Imus's stupid comment means nada. I realize what I'm saying is in direct conflict with that Nascar thing I got so upset about but in this case, I figure the more that's made of his remark, the more power given it.

I've heard such rotten things said before and I've objected then as I do now - that's not pretentious, it's letting people know their actions are not acceptable.

You give him power, not by calling him for his actions but by listening to his show. Accepting his behaviour by ignoring it does nothing to feed the starving but it does encourage those who agree with him.
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Hopefully the younger up & coming generation will stop the cycle with the racial remarks/conduct. It wouldn't be my generation (anyone born 1965 & earlier).

My generation - usually brought up by a bigot - "Archie Bunker" attitude.

You repeat what your taught.

Cia B. - My grandfather was born a slave baby.

Patsy
YZGI

Don Imus' remarks

Post by YZGI »

Patsy Warnick;591184 wrote: Hopefully the younger up & coming generation will stop the cycle with the racial remarks/conduct. It wouldn't be my generation (anyone born 1965 & earlier).

My generation - usually brought up by a bigot - "Archie Bunker" attitude.

You repeat what your taught.

Cia B. - My grandfather was born a slave baby.

Patsy
Archie Bunker was a satire. It showed the ignorance of racism and bigotry, it didn't promote it.:cool:
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

YZGI

Where do you think the producers got the idea for the show - OUR OWN HOUSEHOLDS. "Archie Bunker" exposed the sarcasm and was under scrutinity for racial comments & stupidities.

I'm not trying to explain the show - its the attitude of Archie.

My father hated Asians due to his Pearl Harbor experience.

That meant - only buying a Chrysler car - never having rice - and having to listen to all the slang comments.

My point - hopefully a generation will stop the cycle - soon.!!!

Patsy
minks

Don Imus' remarks

Post by minks »

Crikey I say turf the idiot, this isn't his first infraction and won't be his last.

In our translation here despite the Nappy Headed part, Ho means Whore, I would be downright p*i*s*s*e*d no matter what my color was to be called a HO, as would any female. There is nothing cute or endearing about it. The guy is a first rate A*S*S.

Forgive my foul language.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
zinkyusa

Don Imus' remarks

Post by zinkyusa »

Several large companies have removed their advertisements from the show. Let the market decide..;)
YZGI

Don Imus' remarks

Post by YZGI »

Patsy Warnick;591202 wrote: YZGI

Where do you think the producers got the idea for the show - OUR OWN HOUSEHOLDS. "Archie Bunker" exposed the sarcasm and was under scrutinity for racial comments & stupidities.

I'm not trying to explain the show - its the attitude of Archie.

My father hated Asians due to his Pearl Harbor experience.

That meant - only buying a Chrysler car - never having rice - and having to listen to all the slang comments.

My point - hopefully a generation will stop the cycle - soon.!!!

Patsy
I understand your point. The funny thing about the Chrysler cars is, About 80% of Chrysler cars since the late 70's and early 80's had Mitsibishi engines in them. So your father was supporting Asians in a way.:wah:
minks

Don Imus' remarks

Post by minks »

zinkyusa;591204 wrote: Several large companies have removed their advertisements from the show. Let the market decide..;)

excellent.

― Mae West
YZGI

Don Imus' remarks

Post by YZGI »

zinkyusa;591204 wrote: Several large companies have removed their advertisements from the show. Let the market decide..;)
Yea the self important old geezer is history. IMO:cool:

Wait was that bigotry against old self important geezers? Dang this PC stuff can get dicey.;)
minks

Don Imus' remarks

Post by minks »

YZGI;591212 wrote: Yea the self important old geezer is history. IMO:cool:

Wait was that bigotry against old self important geezers? Dang this PC stuff can get dicey.;)

Well is it bigotry, hmmm if I called you that would you be hurt? Gosh yeah this PC stuff is like walking on thin ice eh.

― Mae West
YZGI

Don Imus' remarks

Post by YZGI »

minks;591215 wrote: Well is it bigotry, hmmm if I called you that would you be hurt? Gosh yeah this PC stuff is like walking on thin ice eh.
Nah I would laugh. I don't take too many things seriously.:cool:
minks

Don Imus' remarks

Post by minks »

YZGI;591216 wrote: Nah I would laugh. I don't take too many things seriously.:cool:

I try and practice the same but some things can be offensive.... while others are merely humorous.... really points out a huge grey area in this PC stuff doesn't it.

― Mae West
YZGI

Don Imus' remarks

Post by YZGI »

Yes it does. Why can Cris Rock , Carlos Mencia and about all rappers say the same things and worse yet not a word is said about them?
minks

Don Imus' remarks

Post by minks »

YZGI;591225 wrote: Yes it does. Why can Cris Rock , Carlos Mencia and about all rappers say the same things and worse yet not a word is said about them?

my take on that, they are entertainment and it's viewed as an over all general hah hah (warped entertainment of sorts I guess), Imus directed it right at those girls. I dunno much like a personal attack weather he intended that or not.

Ya know I guess it's really not so cut and dry after all.

― Mae West
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

YZGI

Chrysler car purchase in the '60s & early '70s - we were never allowed to own a Toyota etc. as our 1st car. My Father only supported American made is my point.

As far as Chris Rock & Rappers using slang comments - it won't stop until a generation stops it.

My Father in Law makes his comments about all the Blacks in sports - I can't stand it. He's 87 yrs old - another generation who feels he has the right to be a Ass.

I'm glad several sponsors have stopped supporting the show.

Minks - HO is a Whore and it rolled out of mouth very comfortably

Another generation that feels its OK.

Patsy
YZGI

Don Imus' remarks

Post by YZGI »

Yesterday on the radio a black man explained the word HO is used to describe anyone trying to make money off of something, male or female. As in he is a used car salesman ho. Or a drug Ho etc etc
YZGI

Don Imus' remarks

Post by YZGI »

Patsy Warnick;591243 wrote: YZGI

Chrysler car purchase in the '60s & early '70s - we were never allowed to own a Toyota etc. as our 1st car. My Father only supported American made is my point.

As far as Chris Rock & Rappers using slang comments - it won't stop until a generation stops it.

My Father in Law makes his comments about all the Blacks in sports - I can't stand it. He's 87 yrs old - another generation who feels he has the right to be a Ass.

I'm glad several sponsors have stopped supporting the show.

Minks - HO is a Whore and it rolled out of mouth very comfortably

Another generation that feels its OK.

Patsy

I still believe we should buy American, If for no other reason than to try and keep our economy as good as we can.
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

A used car salesman is a HO - a money Whore.

Imus's used HO as a Whore - Female Whore.

Patsy
YZGI

Don Imus' remarks

Post by YZGI »

Patsy Warnick;591249 wrote: A used car salesman is a HO - a money Whore.

Imus's used HO as a Whore - Female Whore.

Patsy
I'm just telling you how it was explained by a black man on the radio.

And I am not defending Imus here. I think he should resign not be fired .

If he wanted to call them whore I believe he would have called them whores. Up until now he was never worried about what he said or what people thought of what he said.
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Google Imus

He makes some very offensive statements - which is Freedom of Speech.

So, this statement - why now should he be terminated?

I don't think he should have any attention - theres so much more to focus on.

Like a war .

Patsy
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Patsy Warnick;591252 wrote: Google Imus

He makes some very offensive statements - which is Freedom of Speech.

So, this statement - why now should he be terminated?

I don't think he should have any attention - theres so much more to focus on.

Like a war .

Patsy

If someone goes about advocating genocide is that freedom of speech?

If someone preaches racial intolerance is that freedom of speech?

If someone's remarks are blatantly racist is that freedom of speech?

You have to draw your own line but my answer to all three is NO - it is wrong in private but it is inexcusable in a public figure speaking in a public forum.
RedGlitter

Don Imus' remarks

Post by RedGlitter »

Bryn Mawr;591263 wrote: If someone goes about advocating genocide is that freedom of speech?

If someone preaches racial intolerance is that freedom of speech?

If someone's remarks are blatantly racist is that freedom of speech?

You have to draw your own line but my answer to all three is NO - it is wrong in private but it is inexcusable in a public figure speaking in a public forum.

Um yeah...it is free speech anyway....just take a look at the KKK! They've been doing it for years.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;591296 wrote: Um yeah...it is free speech anyway....just take a look at the KKK! They've been doing it for years.

but that's my point - should we be letting them?
LilacDragon

Don Imus' remarks

Post by LilacDragon »

So - it is freedom of speech when it comes out of the mouth of Eddie Murphy, Steve Harvey or any other African American male, but it is offensive and dangerous if it comes out of the mouth of a white male?

I am soooooo sick and tired of the damned double standard. It is ok for an African American to use the N word (and it really cheeses me that I have to abreviate it even in this context to avoid being labeled a racist!) but the minute anyone that is NOT an African American utters the word it is racist and derogetory.

I have never owned a slave, wouldn't want to own a slave and I am fairly certain that none of my poor white ancesters owned a slave either and I am so tired of the same old song and dance about slavery every single time some white man opens his mouth and sticks his foot in it.

Maybe - if people weren't so busy being offended every single time someone of a different state of mind, race, religion or whatever said something, the world really would be a better place.

If you don't like Imus and don't like what comes out of his mouth - Don't listen!! It really is pretty simple and works great for me.
Sandi

RedGlitter

Don Imus' remarks

Post by RedGlitter »

Bryn Mawr;591301 wrote: but that's my point - should we be letting them?

YES. Remember Voltaire? Where do we get off instructing people on what they can say? That's some dangerous territory and a fine line I sure don't want to walk. Or to have drawn on me. Next up is the Thought Police! It just goes to reason that due to the variety of humans we all have to live with, there are going to be things said that are not going to be appreciated. So we SAY we don't appreciate it. We don't have to yank their jobs or torch their houses or make it worse than it actually is. Damn, if I had the ability to mess people up for all the things they've called me and still do, there'd be some damage happening.

LilacDragon;591375 wrote: (everything LD said).

Score.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LilacDragon;591375 wrote: If you don't like Imus and don't like what comes out of his mouth - Don't listen!! It really is pretty simple and works great for me.

I ask again, in slightly more extreme terms since no-one has given me an answer, do you consider it to be OK for a supremicist leader to incite genocide because you don't have to listen to him - it's only his KKK palls who do?

eta - Freedom of Speech is NOT an excuse for anyone to say anything with no regard to the consequences. There are certain standards that must be laid down in any civilized sociery.
LilacDragon

Don Imus' remarks

Post by LilacDragon »

Bryn Mawr;591394 wrote: I ask again, in slightly more extreme terms since no-one has given me an answer, do you consider it to be OK for a supremicist leader to incite genocide because you don't have to listen to him - it's only his KKK palls who do?

YES! I do think that EVERYONE is entitled to freedom of speech whether I like what they have to say or not.

If you don't like what the KKK preaches - teach your children tolerance and compassion. Teach your children to judge people by what they say and what they do to other people as opposed to the rest of the CRAP.
Sandi

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;591391 wrote: YES. Remember Voltaire? Where do we get off instructing people on what they can say? That's some dangerous territory and a fine line I sure don't want to walk. Or to have drawn on me. Next up is the Thought Police! It just goes to reason that due to the variety of humans we all have to live with, there are going to be things said that are not going to be appreciated. So we SAY we don't appreciate it. We don't have to yank their jobs or torch their houses or make it worse than it actually is. Damn, if I had the ability to mess people up for all the things they've called me and still do, there'd be some damage happening.

LilacDragon;591396 wrote: YES! I do think that EVERYONE is entitled to freedom of speech whether I like what they have to say or not.

If you don't like what the KKK preaches - teach your children tolerance and compassion. Teach your children to judge people by what they say and what they do to other people as opposed to the rest of the CRAP.

Question - Does the US have an incitement law?

Question - If someone deliberately incites a group to commit an act of violence, is he responsible for that violence?
LilacDragon

Don Imus' remarks

Post by LilacDragon »

Bryn Mawr;591400 wrote: Question - Does the US have an incitement law?

Question - If someone deliberately incites a group to commit an act of violence, is he responsible for that violence?

Yes. If someone deliberately incites a group to commit an act of violence and someone is hurt or killed, then that person can be charged.
Sandi

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LilacDragon;591402 wrote: Yes. If someone deliberately incites a group to commit an act of violence and someone is hurt or killed, then that person can be charged.

Then at what point does freedom of speech become incitement?
RedGlitter

Don Imus' remarks

Post by RedGlitter »

Bryn Mawr;591400 wrote: Question - Does the US have an incitement law?

Bryn, I honestly don't know if there's an incitement law here. Can't answer that.

Second part, what do I automatically think of? Hitler. I'll admit this is kind of tricky. But I'll still say no. I'm not totally buying the incite thing. I know how easy it is to get worked up from some charismatic person's speech and want to do their bidding but I'm still responsible for my own actions. It's my job to know the difference. But your question is valid.
LilacDragon

Don Imus' remarks

Post by LilacDragon »

Honestly, I don't think I would like to be the one to have to draw that line. And I am not a lawyer, so I won't pretend to have the answer to that question.

But - since I have my own brain, if I listen to some nitwit spouting off about committing violent acts against someone and I go out and commit that violent act - then I guess you had better charge me with the crime.

Besides - what does this really have to do with an idiot like Imus? I certainly don't think that what he said was enough to be considered incitting violence.
Sandi

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;591405 wrote:

Bryn, I honestly don't know if there's an incitement law here. Can't answer that.

Second part, what do I automatically think of? Hitler. I'll admit this is kind of tricky. But I'll still say no. I'm not totally buying the incite thing. I know how easy it is to get worked up from some charismatic person's speech and want to do their bidding but I'm still responsible for my own actions. It's my job to know the difference. But your question is valid.

It has happened times and is as much murder as direct shooting.

As a point of interest, look up mass psychology - at the point at which mob rule takes over the individual in no longer responsible for their own actions.
chonsigirl

Don Imus' remarks

Post by chonsigirl »

RedGlitter;591405 wrote:

U.S. Supreme Court

BRANDENBURG v. OHIO, 395 U.S. 444 (1969)

395 U.S. 444

Freedoms of speech and press do not permit a State to forbid advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/g ... &invol=444

Return to “Current Political Events”