Dad gum walking my dog.

All aspects of training your pet.
hotsauce

Dad gum walking my dog.

Post by hotsauce »

Hello wise ones. Roscoe is now about 7 months. He is brilliant. He can sit, focus for up to 30 seconds in a distrcting environement, drop it, leave it, take it, all of the normal stuff that well trained babies should be able to do. He is the perfect puppy. We adore him! Roscoe and I are regular walking buddies. We walk between 3-4 miles daily. He has always loved to walk. He goes insane when I grab the leash. We started puppy school about 3 weeks ago. We have really been working on loose leash walking. Now, Roscoe isn't a big puller on the leash, but I have really focused on what the trainer says. I have stopped and waited for him to loosen up before I continue, etc. Since I have started this, he has started a new fun little behavior. He will act like he is going to potty, or sniff the ground and just flop over and lay there. He will NOT budge. :-5 The trainer said to make him come to me and hold out a treat during these times. I feel like this is rewarding bad behavior. Isn't it? I am kinda giving him a treat for flopping down and being stubborn during our walks. Aren't I? Well, it doesn't really matter. He won't even get up for a treat. He just lays there until he feels ready to hop up. Suggestions? Oh, he isn't limping and he appears very eager to get out and walk. I took him home early last night because I was so frustrated and hubby said he cried at the door the whole time I was gone. He wants to be with me, but he want to be in control. Anyway, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I tried to google "walking dog laying down" etc....I got a million of the wrong hits.

Thanks in advance!
Bryn Mawr

Dad gum walking my dog.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

If he only does it when you wait for him to "loosen up" have you tried continuous brisk walking - don't give him time to play you up.

Go back to your routine before he started this bad habit.
hotsauce

Dad gum walking my dog.

Post by hotsauce »

yeah, I thought of that. it isn't just during these times. it isn't during those times at all. it has been just since we have started reallly working on loose walking, though. he really flops over out of nowhere. I have watched him like a hawk and nothing seems to trigger it. i really don't have to do much stopping to train loose leash, either. he is pretty darn good about walking like a nice boy.
valerie

Dad gum walking my dog.

Post by valerie »

What kind of treats are you using? Get something different, get Cadillac

Jackpot ohmigawdIdon'tbelieveyoubroughtthosewithyou treats! ;)

What works good? I like to use chicken breast bits, boil them and cut in

tiny little pieces, use the fingernail of your little finger for a guide. Then

have these treats ONLY when you go for a walk.

Some people use pieces of hot dog, and spit them at the dog. That gets

him to really FOCUS on momma and what she's doing.

Try moving from a walk to a run sometimes to keep him on his toes.

Or, if he has strong play drive, take a tennis ball with you and bounce

it, or a little squeaky toy.

Cut him some slack, mom, he is only 7 months and sounds like he's

doing great!

What kind of dog?

Good luck!!

:-6 :-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

hotsauce

Dad gum walking my dog.

Post by hotsauce »

Thanks for the replies. What kind of dog is he? Ummm...he is brown.

He was supposed to be a 35 pound boxer...adopted him from a pound. He is really going to be a 70 pound pitbull (part pit). He is as gental as can be, though.

I had time to ummm take some pics during our "walk" last night. Does he look overly tired?

He has grown up so much. Here is one from a few months ago...

I'm going to give him a couple of days off. Everything I have been reading states if they don't want to walk there may be an underlying problem. I am on spring break the week after next and I will take him to the vet if this continues.

I love the idea of the chicken bits and only walking treats. I always walk/run to mix it up and I did actually take a tennis ball with me last night and it worked for a while. I choaked on my gum when I had visuals of my neighbors watching me spit wieners at my dog. HILARIOUS!

I will just keep at it and take him in to the vet if it continues. I sure wish dogs could talk! Thanks again for the input!
valerie

Dad gum walking my dog.

Post by valerie »

He may be part pit but he's ALL cutie! Thanks for the pics. A little time off

might be just the ticket!

:-4
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Tater Tazz

Dad gum walking my dog.

Post by Tater Tazz »

He is a cutie!! I just trained my kitten to play fetch, good luck with your puppy.

Return to “Training Your Pet”