I quit smoking, now I have put on a stone!

LondonFan of MJ!

Post by LondonFan of MJ! »

Hello everyone!

I just wondered if anyone who goes to the gym can help me?

How do I stay motivated?

I joinned the Gym a year ago and lasted 3 weeks.

I have been paying 70 quid a month, yet not going.

Stupid I know!

And what a waste of money.

Anyway, now I have put on weight, I really have to go back down there but just the though't of it makes me *yawn*.

Any tips peeps please?:-3
I have left because of immature people that cannot accept people for who they are.

It's not nice to upset others.

This place isn't stricked enough.

Mods please ban me for good.

Thank you.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

LondonFan of MJ!;560880 wrote: Hello everyone!

How do I stay motivated?

I joinned the Gym a year ago and lasted 3 weeks.

Stupid I know!

Anyway, now I have put on weight, I really have to go back down there but just the though't of it makes me *yawn*.

not bill wyman i hope:thinking:
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

its just been pointed out that you are probably to young to remember who he is but too old to date him it seems:thinking:

Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Yes, I have noticed I have put on a couple of extra pounds even over the last 4 weeks of not smoking as well, I guess its just a case of more exercise and less snacks as well. Its definetly worth it, no?
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
LondonFan of MJ!

Galbally;560891 wrote: Yes, I have noticed I have put on a couple of extra pounds even over the last 4 weeks of not smoking as well, I guess its just a case of more exercise and less snacks as well. Its definetly worth it, no?

Yes it is, I feel much better, just fatter LOL

Jimbo.. I didn't know who that was, thanks for the pic LOL
I have left because of immature people that cannot accept people for who they are.

Thank you.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

LondonFan of MJ!;560892 wrote: Yes it is, I feel much better, just fatter LOL

Jimbo.. I didn't know who that was, thanks for the pic LOL

ok he was a rolling stone you said you had stopped smoking you and you had put on a stone.. i said i hope its not... oh forget it ,it was not funny in the first place:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I've lost a stone, now I've started smoking

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
LondonFan of MJ!

jimbo;560899 wrote: ok he was a rolling stone you said you had stopped smoking you and you had put on a stone.. i said i hope its not... oh forget it ,it was not funny in the first place:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lmao but that, was :wah:

Thank you.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Uncle Kram;560901 wrote: I've lost a stone, now I've started smoking

youll gather no moss:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
LondonFan of MJ!

Uncle Kram;560901 wrote: I've lost a stone, now I've started smoking

LOL which is one of the reasons I didn't want to quit!:wah:

Thank you.
Delilah

Post by Delilah »

I'm starting to quit tomorrow. Pretty scared, but yet anxious to just get it over with so I can move on with my life and put these past tar/nicotine years behind me.

I hope to not gain weight when I quit. I have a treadmill and ab roller in my bedroom, so hopefully those will help me when I feel an intense craving, I will just go for a run, that way I don't gain, as well as having an outlet for anger.
LondonFan of MJ!

Delilah;562178 wrote: I'm starting to quit tomorrow. Pretty scared, but yet anxious to just get it over with so I can move on with my life and put these past tar/nicotine years behind me.

I hope to not gain weight when I quit. I have a treadmill and ab roller in my bedroom, so hopefully those will help me when I feel an intense craving, I will just go for a run, that way I don't gain, as well as having an outlet for anger.

Thats great!!

Good luck!!

I wish I had a treadmill in my room :(

You may want to eat more and do somthing with your hands.

Buy a bunch of grapes and nibble on them! Thats what I do!

Thank you.
Red

Post by Red »

I joined a gym last year and do 3 classes a wk every week, i love it and all i think of is how fit ill look for the summer, not easy but whats the alternative? being unhappy with how you look...that's motivation enough for me
Bez

Post by Bez »

I've put on 6 pounds in the 8 weeks i've not been smoking. Most of this is due to lack of exercise, cutting down my working week by a half and being winter (eating comfort food)

Remember...it's more unhealthy to smoke ONE cigarette than be a bit overweight.

If the Gym's not for you...how about walking, Pilates, Yoga, Swimming ? I should think it's good to go with a mate too.....they keep you motivated.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
LondonFan of MJ!

Red;562187 wrote: I joined a gym last year and do 3 classes a wk every week, i love it and all i think of is how fit ill look for the summer, not easy but whats the alternative? being unhappy with how you look...that's motivation enough for me

When I joinned another time, a few years ago, I lasted 5 months.

I was told to go 3 times a week, two hours at a time.

Plus I did classes. It was ok then, as my friend came with me.

But now I am on my own.

I know what you are saying, and yes, its s good enough reason to get up and go.

I just know, for me, it wont last.

I wish I had someone to go with!

Thank you.
Bez

Post by Bez »

LondonFan of MJ!;562185 wrote: Thats great!!

Good luck!!

I wish I had a treadmill in my room :(

You may want to eat more and do somthing with your hands.

Buy a bunch of grapes and nibble on them! Thats what I do!

I bought a PS2 with the money I saved from not buying cigs......problem is, I think sitting on my ar$$e has not helped with the weight gain. :o
LondonFan of MJ!

Bez;562189 wrote: I've put on 6 pounds in the 8 weeks i've not been smoking. Most of this is due to lack of exercise, cutting down my working week by a half and being winter (eating comfort food)

Remember...it's more unhealthy to smoke ONE cigarette than be a bit overweight.

If the Gym's not for you...how about walking, Pilates, Yoga, Swimming ? I should think it's good to go with a mate too.....they keep you motivated.

Yes this is true!

Maybe now summer is getting nearer, I may get off my lazy bum and go to the gym.

I'd love to do yoga again. If only I had a friend to go with!

My mates aren't interested. I guess, because they smoke!

Thank you. Great advise there!

Thank you.
LondonFan of MJ!

Bez;562195 wrote: I bought a PS2 with the money I saved from not buying cigs......problem is, I think sitting on my ar$$e has not helped with the weight gain. :o

haha that made me laugh!

Ooo I have a PS2. I haven't used it for a while though.

Thats my problem. I spend far too much time on the net!

Thank you.
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

How much is a stone?

HBIC
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

DesignerGal;562277 wrote: How much is a stone?

about 3 joints :wah: :wah:

ahem i think its 14 pounds:rolleyes:
Bez

Post by Bez »

LondonFan of MJ!;562200 wrote: haha that made me laugh!

Ooo I have a PS2. I haven't used it for a while though.

Thats my problem. I spend far too much time on the net!

It's a bit of a long story...but I've been living in a rented flat since last September. Since I was married at 19 in 1966 i have had a 3 bedroom house with a garden to look after....later there were the 3 kids, full time work and later 7 grandchildren ....no time to gain weight..

Now, I'm on my own....no garden....bad weather.....small flat.....semi-retired during the last 6 months....all excuses (:o ) for putting on weight.....oh yes....and giving up smoking.

But....I really think that I can lose at least a stone when my new flat sale goes through. Every room needs decorating - the bathroom needs replacing - it's got a small garden that needs re-designing and it's 5 minutes from the beach....I could even walk to work from there in the summer / autumn.

I've got a pedometer and I was disgusted to see just how little my activity .levels are.
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Put something else in your mouth instead of food!

I gave up using Nicotine Lozenges and found them brilliant, they worked for me until I started smoking again 9 months later, lol.

Failing that, get pregnant then you won't want to smoke, easy to give up because you have to for the baby and you also probably won't want to anyway so won't replace the cigarettes with eating.

Late night curries don't help either. lol
Musiclover89

Post by Musiclover89 »

Nats isnt this the 3rd time you've tried quiting Smokeing?
"Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars. Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, 'I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight', people would say, 'Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a damn word that comes out of his mouth.' " Michael Jackson
Shweet tatersalad

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

LondonFan of MJ!;560880 wrote: Hello everyone!

How do I stay motivated?

I joined the Gym a year ago and lasted 3 weeks.

Stupid I know!

Anyway, now I have put on weight, I really have to go back down there but just the thought of it makes me *yawn*.

OK here we go,If you need too start out slow.

Spend some time on a tread mill is all you need for now.

Does your gym have a TV or two too watch while you walk?? if not,find one that does.

Get a mp3 player,if you can't afford one,then go get a decent CD player.

Put the music in your ears,upbeat stuff will do.You may be able too put something together with your media player.

At first do off and on walking.Spend ten or fifteen minutes at a time until you can do twenty maybe thirty straight.

And if your gym has different cardio things too do,try them as a change of pace.

stair climbers,ellipticals,stationary bikes are all good.Change it up so you don't get bored or tired.

And having things at home is All good and all but,the advantage of a gym is that you have other people around too keep you motivated and you may find that some people are always there when you are and it adds too your willingness too succeed.

There is no easy way out,you have too do the work.But it does not have too be overwhelming.Start small and you will find out that you are seeing results at a steady pace.but YOU have too be dedicated too it.It's a relationship between your mind and your body.If you can't commit,then quit.

I was 210 lbs at my worst,My life was a wreck,then I took the steps too change my life and be what i wanted too be.Now I'm 190,and every time i look in the mirror I get a woody.

I also have some web sites I can pass on too you where you can some advice and some education too help yourself,just pm me.I will be glad too help you.

I am going too turn 43 this week end,And I see people my own age and it feels good not be that person,DON'T be that person.Good luck and remember i am only a pm away.
Shweet tatersalad

And one more very important thing.WATER,drink alot of water it flushes your system and the fat cells aswell.It refreshes the muscles.and is good for you.
LondonFan of MJ!

Shweet tatersalad;564713 wrote: OK here we go,If you need too start out slow.

Spend some time on a tread mill is all you need for now.

Does your gym have a TV or two too watch while you walk?? if not,find one that does.

Get a mp3 player,if you can't afford one,then go get a decent CD player.

Put the music in your ears,upbeat stuff will do.You may be able too put something together with your media player.

At first do off and on walking.Spend ten or fifteen minutes at a time until you can do twenty maybe thirty straight.

And if your gym has different cardio things too do,try them as a change of pace.

stair climbers,ellipticals,stationary bikes are all good.Change it up so you don't get bored or tired.

And having things at home is All good and all but,the advantage of a gym is that you have other people around too keep you motivated and you may find that some people are always there when you are and it adds too your willingness too succeed.

There is no easy way out,you have too do the work.But it does not have too be overwhelming.Start small and you will find out that you are seeing results at a steady pace.but YOU have too be dedicated too it.It's a relationship between your mind and your body.If you can't commit,then quit.

I was 210 lbs at my worst,My life was a wreck,then I took the steps too change my life and be what i wanted too be.Now I'm 190,and every time i look in the mirror I get a woody.

I also have some web sites I can pass on too you where you can some advice and some education too help yourself,just pm me.I will be glad too help you.

I am going too turn 43 this week end,And I see people my own age and it feels good not be that person,DON'T be that person.Good luck and remember i am only a pm away.

Wow what great advise!! Thank you so much!

Congrats on achieving your goal! Thats great!

I think thats a great point, start slow.

That's the problem. They put my on a very hard work out plan and that's what puts me off.

They do have TVs in there and Radio.

And one more very important thing.WATER,drink alot of water it flushes your system and the fat cells aswell.It refreshes the muscles.and is good for you.

I didn't know that? Thank you!!

Nats isnt this the 3rd time you've tried quiting Smokeing?

Yes! But I haven't smoked since new years eve.

Last time I quit, it lasted for 5 months, the time before, I lasted two years!!

Put something else in your mouth instead of food!

I gave up using Nicotine Lozenges and found them brilliant, they worked for me until I started smoking again 9 months later, lol.

Failing that, get pregnant then you won't want to smoke, easy to give up because you have to for the baby and you also probably won't want to anyway so won't replace the cigarettes with eating.

Late night curries don't help either. lol

Yeah sis, this is something I really struggle with!

My problem isn't the temptation of smoking, I am over that.

This thread is about going to the gym lol But thanks anyways xx

It's a bit of a long story...but I've been living in a rented flat since last September. Since I was married at 19 in 1966 i have had a 3 bedroom house with a garden to look after....later there were the 3 kids, full time work and later 7 grandchildren ....no time to gain weight..

Now, I'm on my own....no garden....bad weather.....small flat.....semi-retired during the last 6 months....all excuses ( ) for putting on weight.....oh yes....and giving up smoking.

But....I really think that I can lose at least a stone when my new flat sale goes through. Every room needs decorating - the bathroom needs replacing - it's got a small garden that needs re-designing and it's 5 minutes from the beach....I could even walk to work from there in the summer / autumn.

I've got a pedometer and I was disgusted to see just how little my activity .levels are.

Oh I see!

That's my problem, I don't really do anything.

I live with my parents still, so I don't do much.

I drive for a living, so I don't really excersize.

Thank you.
Shweet tatersalad

I have dealt with folks who have quit smoking,and yes,some of them gained weight,but it went away after a while.It always does,But sitting around crying won't do it.You gotta move it,move it.

LF.please feel free too talk too me about anything that might help you.Most of the time I just breeze Right through this place because the content is not for me.
LondonFan of MJ!

Shweet tatersalad;564738 wrote: I have dealt with folks who have quit smoking,and yes,some of them gained weight,but it went away after a while.It always does,But sitting around crying won't do it.You gotta move it,move it.

LF.please feel free too talk too me about anything that might help you.Most of the time I just breeze Right through this place because the content is not for me.

Thank you so much! I may just do that!! xxx

Thank you.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Natty poo!!!

Do you listen to music when you go? I feel like that gets me going. Umm hang up a super tiny bikini on your bedroom ceiling, that should do the trick. Think about all those hot studs you'll see on the beach, they're gonna want a piece of you.:yh_wink
LondonFan of MJ!

Jenny;565792 wrote: Natty poo!!!

Do you listen to music when you go? I feel like that gets me going. Umm hang up a super tiny bikini on your bedroom ceiling, that should do the trick. Think about all those hot studs you'll see on the beach, they're gonna want a piece of you.:yh_wink

Jenny!!:-4

Haha yeah great advise!!!

Thank you :D

Thank you.
HoneyChild

Post by HoneyChild »

LondonFan of MJ!;569062 wrote: Jenny!!:-4

Haha yeah great advise!!!

Thank you :D

Aww Nats.... its ok!!! Dance it off!!! YAY!
LondonFan of MJ!

HoneyChild;569100 wrote: Aww Nats.... its ok!!! Dance it off!!! YAY!

Zee!! OMG!!

Great to see you!!:-4

Thank you.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I have been off the cigarettes for 5 weeks now, and I defeintly notice the weight gain, its not enormous or anything, but its there, and so I guess I will have to take some of this advice on board, I do walk the dog about 2 miles most days, but its not hugely energy burning, as you are not running, and it will take a while for my lungs to be up to proper running around physical stuff like 30-something football or that, its great to be off the fags though, fantastic, just have to focus on trimming up, and at least my diet is pretty good, as i am not a great lover of fatty foods or that kinda stuff. There has been some good advice on this thread. Thanks. :)
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Bez

Post by Bez »

I don't think the weight gain is totally down to quitting smoking...my guess is that it is also down to Winter ....lack of exercise....warming foods....OMG those dumplings etc. :D
Bez

Post by Bez »

Just wondered how all the 'quitters' are doing.

I'm still off the ciggies but still chewing the gum, but maybe not as much.

Occasionally I fancy a cigarette but it's been 13 weeks now and I'm determined to stay away from that old devil called nicotine.:D

Mmmmmm.....and yes I've put on weight but I'm hoping to lose it over the spring/summer.
LondonFan of MJ!

Guess who started again. :(

A month ago.

*hangs head in shame* :(

Thank you.
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Bad bad girl!
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

All you really need at this point is good old-fashioned cardio exercise. Swimming is great for this. So is walking. And really... you don't need to go 3x a week 2 hours at a time. If you get your heart rate up quickly enough you really don't need to do a cardio work out for more than 45 minutes at a time, 3x a week. Much easier than 2 hours!!

Just as a tip... if you're doing a strength training workout, you may gain weight, even if you're losing fat, since muscle weighs more than fat. So, if you want to see weight come off, do the cardio, and when you get to the weight you want, do light weight training to tone the muscles along with your cardio.
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”