The rudster looking good

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
loser

The rudster looking good

Post by loser »

Now I know there are a few ALP lovers on here, so just thought I would congratulate you on the poll results. However, don't slacken off, keep it going. The great man latham was in a similiar situation last time and got a huge kick in the bollocks on election day.

Mind you, the polls don't have a great recent track record. The morgan poll had latham winning in a landslide victory on the day of the election. Well to be fair, they did get the landslide victory correct.

Who does everyone think will win the next election? Looking too close to call at the moment.
dunkin

The rudster looking good

Post by dunkin »

I am still thinking about this one.

Will make up my mind on the day,no doubt.
loser

The rudster looking good

Post by loser »

I think many people will have the same philosophy as you dunkin :)

Welcome to FG. Haha it seems funny me saying that as I have only been a few days or so.
loser

The rudster looking good

Post by loser »

Diuretic;547210 wrote: Don't waste your vote, vote Labor :D

:-5

:lips:
loser

The rudster looking good

Post by loser »

Diuretic;547224 wrote: Nah let rip!

Haha, No honestly I am apolitical. I can't stand both sides and really, it doesn't affect my life whatsoever whoever is voted in.

But i am just interested who people think will get in next. The libs have a massive majority but it wouldn't surprise me if it is really close. The industrial legislation has made a big effect.
loser

The rudster looking good

Post by loser »

Diuretic;547230 wrote: There'll be a veritable cottage industry of experts telling us what will happen. Some of them will be right. All I know is that in my state the govt is on the nose in the marginals they need to win. I live in one of them and the feeling here is that it will go to Labor.

The last federal election i was living in Melbourne and labor got absolutely flogged there. Some of it was due to protest vote on state issues such as the govt doing a backflip on road tolls. I have moved states since then so don't know what the status quo is. I live in a blue chip lib area so can't see that changing.

IMO the big thing that labor has to overcome is the perception(correct or otherwise) that they will make a complete dogs bollocks of the economy if they get in. Fiscal management isn't their strong point. I suspect that many voters in marginals do not like Howard for the iraq war and his arrogance in other issues but am too afraid to vote in Labor because they don't want the interest rates to hike up, which would spell diaster for their huge mortgage they have.
loser

The rudster looking good

Post by loser »

I know, thats why I said perception. All the voter has to go on with Labor is blind faith to a certain degree. The last federal labor government governed over a period of financial catastrophe(the 80's was the "greed is good" era" with many people losing their houses. Many people still remember this and thus are a bit gun shy to vote for labor federally. No matter how people try to justify it, the general percpetion is that labor cannot manage the economy. How you change the perception, i have no idea. I just have this general belief that people don't vote for a new government to come in. They vote for the old government to get thrown out.
OzBoy

The rudster looking good

Post by OzBoy »

There are enough of the 80's home owner generation who wont forget things like the astronomical interest rates on home loans. War or no war, changes to legislation etc doesn't change the fact that the 'aussie dream' still very much revolves around owning your own home, and no one will willingly jepordise their 'castle' especially when once again labor is all talk and no show.
dunkin

The rudster looking good

Post by dunkin »

loser;547128 wrote: I think many people will have the same philosophy as you dunkin :)

Welcome to FG. Haha it seems funny me saying that as I have only been a few days or so.

Thanks for the welcome
loser

The rudster looking good

Post by loser »

Diuretic;548057 wrote:

Now, under the current government there are many people who can't get into their first home because prices have skyrocketed and have got well in advance of their ability to save for a deposit and get into a house. Is anyone blaming Howard for that? Apparently not.

This is a good point and politics aside is a reflection of one of the downside of the huge recent property value surge. Even the people who bought homes, have massive mortages. I would really hate to be a potential first homebuyer now with property values so high.
OzBoy

The rudster looking good

Post by OzBoy »

I worked for the Commonwealth Bank for a few years and like all the major Aussie banks they have steps in place already as its been predicted that an estimated 30% of its total home loan customer base will be bankrupt if rates continue to rise, its crazy man! And to think there are companies who are still letting you borrow 100% of your property value these days, its a disgrace to the financial services industry!

Return to “Australia”