Noland

spot

Noland

Post by spot »

Let's try to build a definition of a model country, shall we. Calling it Country A is a bit impersonal, let's call it Noland and discover what it can do that's acceptable to all of us.

Should Noland have its own sovereign system of government, or should it be obliged to select a form of government acceptable to bigger countries?

Should Noland have its own sovereign foreign policy as far as relations with the rest of the world goes, or should it be denied that by bigger countries?

Should Noland be able to build sufficient armed force to defend its interior?

Should Noland be able to build sufficient armed force to intervene successfully beyond its national boundaries?

Should Noland defend its interior against external aggression?

Should Noland secure its integrity by pre-emptively attacking other countries which it unilaterally decides might be a threat to its strategic interests at some time in the future?

If we can get a definition of a model country without using the words "us" and "them", we might look further at who does what to whom in the real world.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Noland

Post by spot »

Come on guys, don't wimp out on this. It's your one chance to get to design a model country from scratch not knowing whether it describes Friend or Foe. You don't get to do that very often, it might be therapeutic.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Carl44

Noland

Post by Carl44 »

spot;546233 wrote: Let's try to build a definition of a model country, shall we. Calling it Country A is a bit impersonal, let's call it Noland and discover what it can do that's acceptable to all of us.

Should Noland have its own sovereign system of government, or should it be obliged to select a form of government acceptable to bigger countries?soverieign only for me ,

Should Noland have its own sovereign foreign policy as far as relations with the rest of the world goes, or should it be denied that by bigger countries? same again for me

yes

Should Noland be able to build sufficient armed force to intervene successfully beyond its national boundaries?tricky i do have many friends in the armed forces , some of whom have died in some god forgotten hole , in a war they did not want or understand , but if a friendly nation of ours was invaded by an agresser i think we should help protect them

Should Noland defend its interior against external aggression?yes

Should Noland secure its integrity by pre-emptively attacking other countries which it unilaterally decides might be a threat to its strategic interests at some time in the future?no

If we can get a definition of a model country without using the words "us" and "them", we might look further at who does what to whom in the real world. good point good thread spot
spot

Noland

Post by spot »

jimbo;547166 wrote: good point good thread spotSo it is, though I say it myself. It seems to be taking a while to tempt anyone in, doesn't it.

Come on guys and gals - no "us", no "them", just a description of a model country and how we think it ought to be allowed to operate. It's not too much to ask surely.
koan

Noland

Post by koan »

spot;546233 wrote:

Should Noland have its own sovereign system of government, or should it be obliged to select a form of government acceptable to bigger countries?
own system

Should Noland have its own sovereign foreign policy as far as relations with the rest of the world goes, or should it be denied that by bigger countries?
own policy

yes. but only to the point of sufficient. I'm not sure how that would be determined.

Should Noland be able to build sufficient armed force to intervene successfully beyond its national boundaries?
no. I'm not sure how that would be determined and enforced.

Yes. But it should not be allowed to retaliate if aggrevated. Defense ends at Noland's borders. Push back an enemy to the border and go no further.

Should Noland secure its integrity by pre-emptively attacking other countries which it unilaterally decides might be a threat to its strategic interests at some time in the future?
no. that is covered in the previous answers.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Noland

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;546233 wrote: Let's try to build a definition of a model country, shall we. Calling it Country A is a bit impersonal, let's call it Noland and discover what it can do that's acceptable to all of us.

If we can get a definition of a model country without using the words "us" and "them", we might look further at who does what to whom in the real world.

Why not be done with it and call it Utopia?

For my two penn'orth :-

1) Any form of government it choses but its governmental practices cannot be so extreme as to constitute a crime against humanity. International court to defune and adjudicate.

2) Foreign policy under its own control below the point of thretening another soverign state. International court to defune and adjudicate.

3) Police for interior control, not army. See point (1)

4) No

5) Yes, with assistance of neighbouring soverign states

6) Never

Next!
spot

Noland

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;549302 wrote: Why not be done with it and call it Utopia?Because once the posters have done defining it others might not like what we come up with, in which case we'll have a dystopia on our hands.

Why is "pre-emptively attacking other countries which it unilaterally decides might be a threat to its strategic interests at some time in the future" a bad idea for the country doing the attacking?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Noland

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;549307 wrote: Because once the posters have done defining it others might not like what we come up with, in which case we'll have a dystopia on our hands.

Why is "pre-emptively attacking other countries which it unilaterally decides might be a threat to its strategic interests at some time in the future" a bad idea for the country doing the attacking?

The joke is that poor Thomas was describing what he considered to be a dystopia when he wrote Noland.

It isn't, for the attacking country. The does not make it any the more right though!
Wolverine

Noland

Post by Wolverine »

spot;546233 wrote:

if you don't like what Bush and Tony are doing, just say so.:cool:

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Noland

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Wolverine;549311 wrote: if you don't like what Bush and Tony are doing, just say so.:cool:

I have - repeatedly!
spot

Noland

Post by spot »

Wolverine;549311 wrote: if you don't like what Bush and Tony are doing, just say so.:cool:Why jump to conclusions? This might be Iran we're talking about. That's the fun of not labelling Noland as "us" or "them".
Wolverine

Noland

Post by Wolverine »

spot;549313 wrote: Why jump to conclusions? This might be Iran we're talking about. That's the fun of not labelling Noland as "us" or "them".

labelling Noland as "us" or "them" is fun for me.

spot

Noland

Post by spot »

Wolverine;549315 wrote: labelling Noland as "us" or "them" is fun for me.

We'll get round to it, sunshine. Would you like to add some answers to the OP first?
Wolverine

Noland

Post by Wolverine »

Should Noland have its own sovereign system of government, or should it be obliged to select a form of government acceptable to bigger countries?acceptable to the rest of the world

Should Noland have its own sovereign foreign policy as far as relations with the rest of the world goes, or should it be denied that by bigger countries?have it's own foreign policy.

Should Noland be able to build sufficient armed force to defend its interior?absolutely

Should Noland be able to build sufficient armed force to intervene successfully beyond its national boundaries?maybe 60 years ago, not any more

Should Noland defend its interior against external aggression?hell yes

Should Noland secure its integrity by pre-emptively attacking other countries which it unilaterally decides might be a threat to its strategic interests at some time in the future?i guess not

spot

Noland

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;549308 wrote: The joke is that poor Thomas was describing what he considered to be a dystopia when he wrote Noland.

It isn't, for the attacking country. The does not make it any the more right though!No, I think the Chancellor was pushing Plato's ideas to a reasonable and desirable conclusion though he was far more interested in the chance to mock the state of Europe in his own time.

And possibly not, for the attacking country. Every action generates an opposition. I'm not even thinking of a purely external opposition, either. What country has ever done that (in living memory, to make the question easier) and not had a societal reversal in consequence after the event? Or even profited in the long term from the short-term gain?

Return to “International Politics”