Chips off a comet...

Bill Sikes

Chips off a comet...

Post by Bill Sikes »

Cass

Chips off a comet...

Post by Cass »

A spacecraft is to be launched this week on a spectacular mission to blow a chunk the size of Rome's Coliseum out of a comet.

The Deep Impact probe's 80 million-mile journey will end in a 23,000mph collision creating a celestial firework display visible from Earth with binoculars on July 4, American Independence Day.

Its dramatic encounter with the Tempel 1 comet, creating an explosion equivalent to igniting 4.5 tons of TNT, will release a shower of debris that astronomers hope will provide clues to the origins of the solar system and possibly to life on Earth.

~~~~~~

You know what? I don't want to know that badly :thinking:
BabyRider

Chips off a comet...

Post by BabyRider »

Cassie, does this make you nervous? Don't you think it's amazing? I love stuff like this, (as long as the scientists know what they are doing, blowing this thing up.) Or is it that it's just not something that interests you?

Good article Bill, thanks.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Cass

Chips off a comet...

Post by Cass »

BabyRider wrote: Cassie, does this make you nervous? Don't you think it's amazing? I love stuff like this, (as long as the scientists know what they are doing, blowing this thing up.) Or is it that it's just not something that interests you?

Good article Bill, thanks.

Messing around with comets is just not good IMO things can go wrong and if that deep penetration rocket malfunctions and heads for your neighbourhood, don't say I didn't warn ya ;)

Return to “Space and Astronomy”