Question for other Ex Smokers??

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

After you quit, did you notice you could easily smell others who did smoke?

last night had to go to a crowded basketball game. I swear I could point out every person who smoked. :-2 Tonight I went grocery shopping, same thing.

Anybody else notice this after quitting?
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
guppy

Post by guppy »

when i am not smoking i can smell marlboro lights a mile away like a beagle.......:D
Lon

Post by Lon »

Sheryl;539839 wrote: After you quit, did you notice you could easily smell others who did smoke?

last night had to go to a crowded basketball game. I swear I could point out every person who smoked. :-2 Tonight I went grocery shopping, same thing.

Anybody else notice this after quitting?

I quit 25 years ago and can smell someone lighting up a mile away. Doesn't bother me though. The worst smell, is a bar (pub) that hasn't been sprayed or cleaned up for a long time. The smell of stale beer and old smoke is the pits.
Rain

Post by Rain »

Sure! When you smoke, you don't realize that the smell is on every part of you. Hair, clothes, skin. It becomes a part of you. That's why I get SO mad at mother's who smoke. Their big justification is... "I don't smoke around my baby. I go outside." And I say, "Yes, then it's on you and when you pick up your baby to hold/cuddle/nurse/feed/whatever, the baby is breathing it in!" Disgusting.

I quit 15 years ago and I'm VERY vocal about my opinions on this sickening habit. I'm the one smokers absolutely Hate to hear. As the saying goes... There's no smoker, like an EX smoker. And that's me.
Clint

Post by Clint »

I quit July 4, 1983 after smoking 20 years. At one point I was smoking three packs of unfiltered smokes a day. I had no idea how bad I smelled and what I was doing to people around me.

My office is down the hall from a smoker. She cannot smoke in the building yet the stench is so strong you would think she was smoking indoors. I had to travel with her once so I turned the fan up and put the sytem on vent and still smelled like smoke when I went home that night. She doesn't have a clue she smells that way.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

my mother died from cancer , so did my sons grandfather on his mothers side , my son should not smoke as cancer is in the genes on both sides , he knows this but says he wants to stop but cant , so forum members do something great today save a life or maybe many lives who knows what is the best way to quit .... what did not work and finally what did work :confused: :confused:

i really dont have a clue as i have never smoked but i gave up drinking though :-3 well so far :lips:
Redpoppy

Post by Redpoppy »

I have a friend in UK who after all her life tried to give up smoking. There is a lot of free help there at the moment to help smokers.

She had counseling, patches and chewing gum. All went well till she went on holiday and she started smoking AGAIN..

She says herself that it is like being an alcoholic .....you have to admit you smoke and that you really want to give up 100%. Once that is set in your mind then it should be easier to choose a 'stopping' method that will help you. She has never been 100% devoted to stopping.......so she lapsed

I have never smoked, and I hate when smokers come near me, they smell terrible...

I hate to see full ash trays, and people smoking in the street.

I get on really well with my friend, but being relegated to out side spaces when we go out together (cause she needs a fag) really is depressing
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

I gave up ten years ago, and i'm the first to admit it, that i really HATE the smell of smoke. If my step-son comes in the house i always moan about the smell of smoke on him. I think ex-smokers are the worst for picking up on the smell :-5
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Clint

Post by Clint »

July 4, 1983 I was working in the back yard when my neighbor who was in his 80s came out to visit. He had just lost his wife who had been a smoker to lung cancer. We visited for a while and as we did I smoked the last cigarette in my pocket. My seven-year-old son was playing outside so I called for him and sent him in the house to get me another pack of cigarettes. My neighbor (normally very mild mannered) got in my face as soon as my son was out of hearing distance. He said, “I just lost my wife to cigarettes and you are teaching your son to die the same way”.

July 4, 1983 was my independence day. I never smoked again. I promised myself I would never put another cigarette to my lips. Because I had been a 3 pack a day smoker my system was very dependant on nicotine so I had stomach cramps and the whole works. I would wake up from nightmares in which I had almost put a cigarette to my lips and I gained 20 pounds that I’ve never lost.

I am so thankful my neighbor cared enough about my son to say what he did. My son has never smoked.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I'm not sure if we're able to smell it more easily but I DO think we're more comfortable being vocal about it.

As a child, having to sit in a closed car with smokers, I used to get car sick! As an adult, I can at least refuse to be around it, and, like Rain, I'm really vocal about how awful it is!

Ex-smokers are living proof that it IS possible to quit and we CAN live without that addiction for ourselves or forcing it on others.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Shweet tatersalad

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

Absolutely, I often wonder how awful I smelled when i did smoke.

I am glad that sense of smell came back.

I can smell smokers from a long way off.

At work i have too work with some,although i am not a anti smoker prophet.

I do from time too time drop a hint,via breath mint,or a hey you should wash your hands etc.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Schweet....if I really let myself think about it....I'm so embarassed to think that I DID reek that badly! :o
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Shweet tatersalad

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

It's raelly amazeing how you have no idea that you smell like that.

It's a wonder I even got a date smelling like that.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Or a kiss!:o
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Sheryl;539839 wrote: After you quit, did you notice you could easily smell others who did smoke?

Yes, but I've always had a good sense of smell. When driving, I could smell

when someone in a car coming the other way was smoking.... that's when

I smoked. Now I don't, and I can still smell 'em - now, it smells nasty, though!
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Yes, Sheryl, I smell it immediately. Sometimes stronger than others.

And I will say that I was always VERY consciencious about people smelling me, I am a very clean-type person and don't like to smell bad. I used to be embarrassed to let people in my car that didn't smoke, cause I knew it stunk!

This past Friday I tested myself one of the ultimate tests, I went to a bar, an old friend of mine that I used to go out with to see a Country Band invited me out, they were in town.... So I went, and ewwww, I had to take a shower when I got home...and I was so proud of myself, didn't want a cigarette at all!! YAYYYY ME!!!
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Shweet tatersalad;540110 wrote: It's raelly amazeing how you have no idea that you smell like that.

It's a wonder I even got a date smelling like that.

It's funny you said that, the guy that I am dating doesn't smoke, and we first went on a blind date, I didn't let him know I smoked, well I didn't smoke in front of him and I tried to cover it up with perfume (knowing better...but tried anyway). I finally told him about the 3rd or 4th date, and he said he knew, but it was okay, I explained that I was trying to quit, the best support I've ever gotten from anyone, he didn't guilt me into it, just said he understood how hard it was, and understood when I would smoke due to stress...or just addiction to nicotene...now that I've quit for a whole month...I'm 10 lbs heavier, but I don't smell when he kisses me. :) :)
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

WonderWendy3;540355 wrote: Yes, Sheryl, I smell it immediately. Sometimes stronger than others.

And I will say that I was always VERY consciencious about people smelling me, I am a very clean-type person and don't like to smell bad. I used to be embarrassed to let people in my car that didn't smoke, cause I knew it stunk!

This past Friday I tested myself one of the ultimate tests, I went to a bar, an old friend of mine that I used to go out with to see a Country Band invited me out, they were in town.... So I went, and ewwww, I had to take a shower when I got home...and I was so proud of myself, didn't want a cigarette at all!! YAYYYY ME!!!

That's when you know you're getting there :-6
koan

Post by koan »

I've quit twice.

Wish I could say it lasted. I'll try again. Soon.

The second time I quit I could smell it coming out of my pores. It's disgusting.

I was never a real anti-smoker either time I quit. I can't deny how addictive it is and for that reason don't feel a smoker should be judged. I do wish that cigarettes were made available without all the chemicals. I wonder how much of the death stats are due to the additives... like formaldehyde etc.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

koan;540362 wrote: I do wish that cigarettes were made available without all the chemicals.

I think that they are, or were - people felt awkward using a thing like a cross

between a Vick's inhaler and a biro, though...
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

koan;540362 wrote: I've quit twice.

Wish I could say it lasted. I'll try again. Soon.

The second time I quit I could smell it coming out of my pores. It's disgusting.

I was never a real anti-smoker either time I quit. I can't deny how addictive it is and for that reason don't feel a smoker should be judged. I do wish that cigarettes were made available without all the chemicals. I wonder how much of the death stats are due to the additives... like formaldehyde etc.

Koan, the cigarettes that I smoked last were tobacco only, no chemicals or additives...I LOVED THEM!! I actually got the headache when I switched over to them instead of getting it when I quit. (I've quit probably 4 times if I think about it in my life time-once for 13 years). I copied the link for their website, I used to smoke menthol, the "mint" was what I smoked... My friend that introduced these to me made the comment "theres no such thing as a healthy cigarette, but at least it's chemical free" and both of us don't smoke anymore, this was over the summer.

http://www.natsherman.com/cigarettehome.cfm
Rain

Post by Rain »

I remember being little (6?) and saying "When I grow up I'm going to smoke just like Aunt Diana and daddy". And I did. Influence. Kids do what they see. Kids also start smoking because it's "cool". They feel they'll be seen as Cool, so they do it. Then they get hooked. But as was mentioned above, all of us who've quit is proof positive that it is possible. And I'm happy to say that my aunt, my dad and myself have all quit. I'm glad states are making it illegal to smoke indoors.

Here's a horror story for you. While living in Arizona I worked at a restaurant. A woman with a new born (!) came in with her mother and they sat in the smoking area. As the baby was breat feeding, the fat stupid mother was smoking and the ashes were falling on the baby. GD Disgusting! But Arizona is a smoking state and there was nothing I could do about it. That image haunts me to this day. I just wanted to slap the sh!t out of her! :mad:

I was standing in a check out line the other day and someone walked up behind me. I about gagged! The smoke was very strong. I had to get out of line. It was a young (20ish) woman. So stupid :(
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Pinky;540557 wrote: I tried one of those (pretty good description by the way...laughing now!) but I went to patches in the end because I felt like such a weirdo using the 'vicks stick' in public!

:wah: :wah: sorry pinks just got a picture of you in brum with your tattoed ass hanging out and a vicks inhaler thingy in your mouth ,,, hysterical :wah: :wah:
Bez

Post by Bez »

I agree that ex-smokers are very sensitive to the ciggy smell. I can smell smoke from 2 miles away :D . It frustrates me that the smell on clothes and furnishings takes months to go even though I never smoked in doors. ANY TIPS ON ODOUR ELIMINATION would be welcome.

It's also horrible when you open the wardrobe door and things still smell even though the majority have been washed.....even handags are smelly.

I've also noticed that food tastes salty....specially bread.....weird !

5 weeks have gone by for me now and 6 for my son. I'm surviving on Nic-assist chewing gum but my son has the full 'suite' of aids...patches, inhalor stuff stuff etc....7 weeks for him. A new baby is due at the end of February.....I wonder if he'll get through the 'event' without a ciggy !
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bez

Post by Bez »

WonderWendy3;540359 wrote: It's funny you said that, the guy that I am dating doesn't smoke, and we first went on a blind date, I didn't let him know I smoked, well I didn't smoke in front of him and I tried to cover it up with perfume (knowing better...but tried anyway). I finally told him about the 3rd or 4th date, and he said he knew, but it was okay, I explained that I was trying to quit, the best support I've ever gotten from anyone, he didn't guilt me into it, just said he understood how hard it was, and understood when I would smoke due to stress...or just addiction to nicotene...now that I've quit for a whole month...I'm 10 lbs heavier, but I don't smell when he kisses me. :) :)

My doctor told me it's better to be 1 stone overweight than smoke 1 cigarette.

Looks like several people are being successful giving up at the moment....well done everyone....this is my 4th attempt so I know how hard it is :)
gadget

Post by gadget »

I packed in smoking about 11 or 12 years ago. One of the best things I have ever done!

I split with Hamster just over a year ago and I am still single (for the time being) and enjoying every minute. (Although I miss the children terribly :-1 )

When I am out and about and noticing all the pretty girls/women around, I can't help but be completely turned off when I see a beautiful lady putting a disgusting, smelly, polluting cancer stick in their mouths and lighting up.

A huge big up to all those people who have chucked it in.

To all those who still smoke - just give it one try to pack up. you'll be so pleased when you do!
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Bez;540573 wrote: I agree that ex-smokers are very sensitive to the ciggy smell. I can smell smoke from 2 miles away D.

If stopping smoking has halped your taste-buds, it's quite likely that some

things taste very salty - they are! Bread can be salt-laden. Some bread, the

stuff bought from "real" bakeries using traditional methods, can contain

1.5% salt, or even more! That's a ridiculously large amount. As I personally

like bread and tend to eat a fair bit of it, I don't buy shop bread if I can help

it, and use a very small amount of salt in the stuff I bake. Shop bread now

tastes to me as if it's been made with sea water, with more salt added too!

Labelling is a problem. Many manufacturers put only the "sodium" content,

which you need to multiply by 2.5 to get salt content. Take as an example

a ready-sliced loaf, at 0.6g of sodium/100g. If I eat 200g (1/4 a loaf) I've

had 1.2g of sodium, equivalent to 3g of salt, which is half the recommended

daily amount for an adult.

http://www.ipt-ltd.co.uk/downloads/pres ... _bread.pdf

http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/saltinf2.htm
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

Last year I quit smoking for 6 months. I could smell someone that smoked. I use to go into the smoking lounge at work just to smell the smoke. Then I started smoking again, not as much.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bez;540573 wrote:

5 weeks have gone by for me now and 6 for my son. I'm surviving on Nic-assist chewing gum but my son has the full 'suite' of aids...patches, inhalor stuff stuff etc....7 weeks for him. A new baby is due at the end of February.....I wonder if he'll get through the 'event' without a ciggy !

More power to him for stopping *before* the baby arrives to be harmed by it.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Bez;540573 wrote: I agree that ex-smokers are very sensitive to the ciggy smell. I can smell smoke from 2 miles away :D . It frustrates me that the smell on clothes and furnishings takes months to go even though I never smoked in doors. ANY TIPS ON ODOUR ELIMINATION would be welcome.

It's also horrible when you open the wardrobe door and things still smell even though the majority have been washed.....even handags are smelly.

Good Job, I think we are about the same time fram, I quit Jan 2, so not far from your quit date. I've quit about 4 times also. Once for 13 years...:-5

Congratulations on the new baby coming, I hope he can get through it without lighting up! I have to go to court on the 13th, and afraid I will be tempted...already been promised ICE CREAM...that's my OTHER habit I need to kick...(fattening food--need for Choc.!)
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

I gave up about 15 years ago - went cold turkey - two weeks later I could smell things and was enjoying food again!
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Bez

Post by Bez »

How's everyone doing ?

still abstaining ?

It's 7 weeks now since I had a ciggy and the NRT chewing gum is helping a lot. Considerng I'm going through a really frustrating property purchase, i'm very pleased with myself.

To anyone that has had several failed attempts in the past, I would say "keep trying" ! This is my 4th / 5th attempt.

I guess I've now saved around £240 ....maybe more. I have bought a couple of things like the PS2 and a new phone so I guess 'saved' isn't really the case.

Haven't found bread that doesn't taste salty though so I'm eating 'wraps' and other things.

My son is still doing well....he relies on those inhalor thingys though.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Clipper;544010 wrote: We have a spray-on product here known as Febreze which is absolutely super at eliminating ALL odors.

My BIL smoked in his car for years. A year after he quit the car still smelled of cig smoke. He sprayed the interior just 2x's with Febreze and you can't smell any odor even if ya rubbed yer nose into the fabric upholstery.:D

wow, didn't think that it was that good...need to spray my car....
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Okay, I don't want to tempt fate, but I have not had a cigarette in 5 days, since sunday, so now I am going through the weekend, wish me luck! :-6

Do you hear that Lulu, 5 days! :p
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Galbally;544023 wrote: Okay, I don't want to tempt fate, but I have not had a cigarette in 5 days, since sunday, so now I am going through the weekend, wish me luck! :-6

YAYYYYYY GAL!!! I'm so proud of you...Awesome...keep up the good work!! I will tell you that weekends were the hardest for me the first 2 or 3. I went to a bar last weekend with old friends that still smoke and was able to have fun without them(cigarettes--not the friends...ha ha ) .....It feels good!!

I'm sending beams to ya!!:-4
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Clipper;544039 wrote: Not only that.....I recently noticed that one of mah barn cats wasn't using terlet paper properly after doing her bizness. Gave her posterior a couple of good snorts of Febreze and now all the toms are madly in love with her again.:-1 :-1 :-1

Am I to understand that you are fabreezing your cat?? too funny....
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

best wishes to all of you that have stopped smoking!! :yh_hugs

I'll hopefully quit someday soon.....:rolleyes:
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Clipper;544067 wrote: Sigh......I expect kittens in the near future. Want one,or two,or three..............:-1

:wah: :wah: ummm, I have 3 already...thanks though...concerned that the "foster kitty" that I'm taking care of is gonna get pregnant before her Mommy and Daddy take her to another home...need to get her fixed...

#489 on list of things to do!!:-3
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

sunny104;544080 wrote: best wishes to all of you that have stopped smoking!! :yh_hugs

I'll hopefully quit someday soon.....:rolleyes:

Thanks Sunny...I appreciate that! When you are ready you will, and not until...it took me about a year to finally say...okay enough is enough and trust me...I still want one!!
Bez

Post by Bez »

Galbally;544023 wrote: Okay, I don't want to tempt fate, but I have not had a cigarette in 5 days, since sunday, so now I am going through the weekend, wish me luck! :-6

You can do it....I smoked 20 to 30 cigs a day until Jan,8th. I'm chewing a lot of gum, but feel good....and smell good too :D
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

GALBALLY! FIVE DAYS? I AM SOOOOO PROUD OF YOU! Let me kiss you....mmmmmm....smells GOOD!
Bez

Post by Bez »

Clipper;544010 wrote: We have a spray-on product here known as Febreze which is absolutely super at eliminating ALL odors.

My BIL smoked in his car for years. A year after he quit the car still smelled of cig smoke. He sprayed the interior just 2x's with Febreze and you can't smell any odor even if ya rubbed yer nose into the fabric upholstery.:D

We have Febreze here too. I'll try it in the car...thanks for the tip Clip :)

Return to “General Chit Chat”