Recovery Forum Welcome

Discussion group for those recovering from substance abuse. This is the place to talk about your struggles and success in regards to addiction.
Mystery

Recovery Forum Welcome

Post by Mystery »

Well, I'm carving a bit of time to put up the thread I committed to yesterday :)

What this forum should hopefully be:

A place to discuss addictions (any addictions) and the impact they have on family and society, as well as the rewards and benefits of recovery and the efficacy of treatment; personal experiences and strengths are encouraged, becase the therapeutic value of one addict speaking of his/her experiences for the benefit of helping another is phenomenal; anything related to addictions, such as those of us that have loved ones and friends who suffer from this disease and how we cope, etc. In addition, any questions related to these topics can be discussed. It's really an open book that's just waiting to be written. :)

What it shouldn't really be:

A place of counseling. If you're suffering from an addiction, and are seeking help, this is a great place (the environment itself) to seek suggestions and advice, however it is not to be substituted for formal counseling or support groups, as face-to-face contact is essential for those to be the most beneficial. I'll try to post some information in a thread re: how to obtain help for those that may not be comfortable with coming out in the open re: their own issues.

A personal note:

A few have suggested this forum as a good idea, and I support that idea. I think it's great, as any avenue that can be offered as a system of support and encouragement is always good. In addition to being a recovering addict myself, I'm also a substance abuse counselor. Because of that, I tend to be a bit more assertive, bordering on aggressive, because it's a passion I have - so, the reason I'm saying that is if discussions get started here, and heat begins, I sincerely don't mean offense :)

I really do hope everyone will participate here, because everyone, regardless whether they think so or not, has something to offer.
koan

Recovery Forum Welcome

Post by koan »

I think this is really exciting, Mystery.

There is so much that can be done with a forum area like this. It's one of the best uses of the internet, imo. :yh_clap
Mystery

Recovery Forum Welcome

Post by Mystery »

koan;535468 wrote: I think this is really exciting, Mystery.

There is so much that can be done with a forum area like this. It's one of the best uses of the internet, imo. :yh_clap

Ya know, in another long ago forum I was a member of, I got the opportunity to moderate one, and it turned into a really successful forum. I truly enjoyed it, and I'm hoping this will be like that, although it's unmoderated and a group effort, which IMO will be better :)
Mystery

Recovery Forum Welcome

Post by Mystery »

Hamster;535476 wrote: For me too I would like to say that all of are touched by addiction at some points in our lives-maybe we don't ever admit it or maybe we do!

I hope this can go all the places I would like it to! It is exciting! Well done Mystery!

I hope you'll help take it the places you want it to go :)

And how right you are hamster...most people are defo affected by addiction in one form or another.
Bryn Mawr

Recovery Forum Welcome

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Mystery;535455 wrote:

What this forum should hopefully be:

A place to discuss addictions (any addictions) and the impact they have on family and society, as well as the rewards and benefits of recovery and the efficacy of treatment; personal experiences and strengths are encouraged, becase the therapeutic value of one addict speaking of his/her experiences for the benefit of helping another is phenomenal; anything related to addictions, such as those of us that have loved ones and friends who suffer from this disease and how we cope, etc. In addition, any questions related to these topics can be discussed. It's really an open book that's just waiting to be written. :)

and many thanks for your efforts in setting this up.

OK, a starter for 10.

At what point does a drink habit cross the line into an addiction? When does someone who drinks regularly become an alcoholic?
Mystery

Recovery Forum Welcome

Post by Mystery »

Bryn Mawr;535490 wrote: and many thanks for your efforts in setting this up.

OK, a starter for 10.

At what point does a drink habit cross the line into an addiction? When does someone who drinks regularly become an alcoholic?

Put simply, when the drink/drug is in control.

The words "habit" and "regularly" are already alarming though, because before dependence comes abuse, which may or may not lead to one becoming an alcoholic, depending on whether something is done, or happens, to stop the cycle. In addition, not everyone who drinks is or will become an alcoholic. It's a physical/mental disease that one has, and is more generalized than just the act of using a substance. I'd be happy to go into details re: diagnostic criteria etc, but fear I'd be boring the heck outta you guys :)
cherandbuster

Recovery Forum Welcome

Post by cherandbuster »

Mystery, I'm very interested in addictive behavior, too.

You have so much to offer on the subject -- and I thank you for taking the time to share info and enlighten us as well. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Mystery

Recovery Forum Welcome

Post by Mystery »

cherandbuster;536244 wrote: Mystery, I'm very interested in addictive behavior, too.

You have so much to offer on the subject -- and I thank you for taking the time to share info and enlighten us as well. :-6

I love it Cher, and it has an added benefit to me, i.e. when I don't know, or don't remember, an answer right off my head, it challenges me to go back to research or look through all my documentation....that helps me be better at what I'm doing, which provides better care for my clients, and they're what matter :)
cherandbuster

Recovery Forum Welcome

Post by cherandbuster »

Mystery, as a recovering addict, do you still have 'daily battles' with it or any battles at all? Is it something you never think about anymore? Or is it always 'there'?

And may I ask if your issue was alcohol or drugs? Feel free to maintain your privacy and fully ignore my question :p :)
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Mystery

Recovery Forum Welcome

Post by Mystery »

cherandbuster;536261 wrote: Mystery, as a recovering addict, do you still have 'daily battles' with it or any battles at all? Is it something you never think about anymore? Or is it always 'there'?

And may I ask if your issue was alcohol or drugs? Feel free to maintain your privacy and fully ignore my question :p :)

One day, I'll post my story here :)

But to answer your questions. I was a "good" addict. Everything was on the table, wasn't that picky, although meth was my favorite. My drug use started with marijuana and alcohol, and quickly progressed through everything.

As for the daily battles question. It's not something that is in my mind on a daily basis anymore. However, at the weirdest moments, the thought will come into my mind to do a bump or buy a six pack. It's weird, but it just goes to show you how powerful the disease is, even after years of abstinence.

Return to “Recovery Forum”