Said Goodbye to My Dog Today.

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

This morning my dog Sparky was bleeding from the mouth. It took me three vets before anyone would see him. (Note to pets in my town: don't get sick)

He had what I thought was proud flesh on one side of his mouth. It was horrible looking. I hugged him all the way to the vet while my friend drove. The vet said it was a tumor in his mouth and that it was already encasing his jawbone. She said she could tell it was cancerous even without the biopsy. Plus he had a scrotal tumor I had intended to get him seen for this week. He also had a heart murmur. He was too thin from his diabetes. I am guessing his age at about 12-14 years. The vet said 7 but I've had him since '99 and he was an adult dog then. He's my Dalmatian. Vet explained that IF it could even be removed he would require radiation and would lose his jawbone. Well, I can't put an animal through that. I knew he was getting up in years and I wasn't going to do that to him. I don't think I'd even put a young dog through that. Plus I felt with having two tumors, it wasn't farfetched to think he might have some internally. So I made the call to release him. They sedated him (which I've never seen done before but they say it's easier on the animal??) and I stayed with him while they gave him the fatal pink stuff.

Then we brought him home and will bury him in our yard tomorrow.

WORD TO THE WISE: At least out where I live, when the vet asks you if you want to pay for "burial" please know that means they will cart your pet and others to the dump on Dump Day that week. That's their idea of "burial." Of course they don't tell you this because who wants to put their best friend in the damned garbage heap?! So, just be aware of that if and when this happens to you.

His doghouse is sitting there on the back porch empty. His pet rock is sitting right where he left it.

It sucks having done this. I knew if it hadn't been this it would have been something else. He was not in the best of health. But that doesn't mean I am not heartbroken at making that call. In the past I've had preparation to do it but today, I was expecting to bring him home alive. I had no idea.

My Spark was a great dog. He was one of my rescued dogs and he was a good friend. I'll not say "I won't ever get another dog" because knowing Sparky was worth the pain of losing him. It's always worth it. The love is always stronger than the pain. The joy always deeper than the pain. But still...I miss my dog. :-1
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, you are brave, RG. You did the right thing, but I am thinking of you. It is hard to loose a family member like your Sparky.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I am sorry! When I lose a pet, I try to remember that there's a big space in my heart which carries love...and that somewhere, another pet is looking for that love.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Gabs

Post by Gabs »

I am sorry about your furbaby... I have two rescues myself, and two other babies that I have aquired through other means. I think you know you did the only humane thing... you gave him this one last gift...the gift of not suffering. Bless you
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

RedGlitter;526208 wrote:

WORD TO THE WISE: At least out where I live, when the vet asks you if you want to pay for "burial" please know that means they will cart your pet and others to the dump on Dump Day that week. That's their idea of "burial." Of course they don't tell you this because who wants to put their best friend in the damned garbage heap?! So, just be aware of that if and when this happens to you.

Thats abhorable.

HBIC
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

:yh_hugs :yh_hugs Red, I'm sorry...so sorry for your loss!!

big hugs for RG!!!:yh_hugs :yh_hugs
cinamin

Post by cinamin »

Oh no, I'm sorry. I also had to send my lovable kitty to the kitty heaven a couple years ago. I had her for 16 years. Her jaw would not open and close and it got worse. So she was starving to death. It was awful.
Rain

Post by Rain »

:-1 I'm so sorry for you my friend. Losing a pet is hard. Sparky is out of pain, but like Lulu2 said, your heart will hold that love and you'll never forget him. In time your heart will open up to a new little pupster that will lick your face and you'll have to have him/.

For now, though, you need to grieve. Know that I'm hugging you.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you, you guys. I really appreciate your support.

Thank you very much.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Anyone who's ever lived with a companion animal knows the place they can hold in our hearts. They love unselfishly and without any conditions at all. No human's ever been able to do that anywhere NEAR as well!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Red

I'm so sorry to hear about Sparky.

When the time is right, you'll rescue another one.

So sorry

Patsy
valerie

Post by valerie »

You recently gave us some very comforting words... as inadequate as

I feel my words are, I would like to give you some in return.

You did the most difficult thing there is to do for a companion. You

know that I know just how much it hurts, and I'm sorry it has to, if

I could I would take it away.

I always like to think of the puppers young again, and healthy, running

around doggie heaven. Doing whatever they want to do, with all the

good ones who have gone before.

Hug your other furbabies close. It helps.

R.I.P. Sparky boy.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

theia

Post by theia »

Just reading your post was painful, RedG, so goodness knows what you must be feeling. I send you a heartfelt hug.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Can i also mention bleeding from the nose as well as the mouth can be an indicator of a tumours in the head region.
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
abbey

Post by abbey »

Thats awful news, i'm so sad for your loss.

A big fat hug for you Terri. X
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Wow. I just woke up from a snooze, you guys, and your messages here and your PMs...they mean so much. Thank you for caring. I mean that.

When I had first started at the tribal shelter, Sparky's owner brought him in because he "didn't have time for him anymore." I remember him coming through the door. I didn't know then he'd end up being mine. It was my job to hold him on adoption days and at 90, he could pull me down the sidewalk- and I'm a big girl. :D We adopted him out five times and no one wanted to keep him because he wasn't really socialized. His only desire was to play with his ball. That's how we controlled him for the first two years. People would fall in love with him for being a dalmation but there would always be some silly problem and he'd have to come back. That's when we said no more homes. We were his seventh home. We had some stories we could tell from our younger days. He kept me running. He didn't know what it was to be petted and made over when we got him. He didn't like it. But eventually he learned to tolerate it and would even come up and butt his head against us for petting.

One time I brought him some cotton candy from the Cornfest. (Before he was diabetic) He didn't know what to do with it and he looked up at me with this pink fluff all over his mouth. HA! He was so cute! He was really cool looking too- he was mostly white with scattered spot, not as many as most Dals have and he had "eyeliner eyes." With white eyelashes.

Thank you for all your support for me and my guy. :-4
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

RedGlitter;526208 wrote: It sucks having done this.

But it would be worse the other way, and your dog's "quality of life" would

be dreadful after some quite possibly very short time. As you watched the

procedure, you know there's no suffering - just a last sigh, and then off to - ?

Thinking of you.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

you have been so brave red i have always thought a lot of you this must be so hard for you ,all the best from jimbo :-4 :(
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

You made the right decision, RG, painful as it was. Just keep those good memories.

The visual of a dalmation with a pink beard .... :D
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

I am so sorry for you losing a friend .:-1
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

Red , i'm so very sorry for your loss, thinking of you :-4 :-4 :-4
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Peg

Post by Peg »

I'm sorry for your loss RG. I know what a tough decision you had to make.:-1
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you everyone. I can't tell you how much your comfort means to me. Especially right now when this morning we are reminded of his absence because we don't have to give him his insulin shot. It's those little things that do it. Wish I had a scanner, I have a great photo of him.

I hope if this happens to any of you guys, that I can be at least a little of the support you've been for me. Thank you so much. It makes things easier.
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

So very sorry for your loss Red but you made the right decision, it wouldn't have been kind to let Sparky suffer and you were there for him right to the end.

Thinking of you:-6
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

oh how sad, I'm so sorry about Sparky....:-1

:yh_hugs Red :yh_hugs
novak

Post by novak »

Sitting here looking at my Ralph with tears running down my face. I am so very sorry for your loss. Cannot imagine my life without Ralphie, so can only imagine what you are going through. My thoughts are with you
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Hiya Red :)

I'm so glad that Sparky had so many years of joy with you. You gave him a life full of love -- just what he gave to you :-6

It's a beautiful thing, isn't it? :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

twizzel

Post by twizzel »

RedGlitter;526208 wrote: This morning my dog Sparky was bleeding from the mouth. It took me three vets before anyone would see him. (Note to pets in my town: don't get sick)

He had what I thought was proud flesh on one side of his mouth. It was horrible looking. I hugged him all the way to the vet while my friend drove. The vet said it was a tumor in his mouth and that it was already encasing his jawbone. She said she could tell it was cancerous even without the biopsy. Plus he had a scrotal tumor I had intended to get him seen for this week. He also had a heart murmur. He was too thin from his diabetes. I am guessing his age at about 12-14 years. The vet said 7 but I've had him since '99 and he was an adult dog then. He's my Dalmatian. Vet explained that IF it could even be removed he would require radiation and would lose his jawbone. Well, I can't put an animal through that. I knew he was getting up in years and I wasn't going to do that to him. I don't think I'd even put a young dog through that. Plus I felt with having two tumors, it wasn't farfetched to think he might have some internally. So I made the call to release him. They sedated him (which I've never seen done before but they say it's easier on the animal??) and I stayed with him while they gave him the fatal pink stuff.

Then we brought him home and will bury him in our yard tomorrow.

His doghouse is sitting there on the back porch empty. His pet rock is sitting right where he left it.

It sucks having done this. I knew if it hadn't been this it would have been something else. He was not in the best of health. But that doesn't mean I am not heartbroken at making that call. In the past I've had preparation to do it but today, I was expecting to bring him home alive. I had no idea.

My Spark was a great dog. He was one of my rescued dogs and he was a good friend. I'll not say "I won't ever get another dog" because knowing Sparky was worth the pain of losing him. It's always worth it. The love is always stronger than the pain. The joy always deeper than the pain. But still...I miss my dog. :-1
I am a dad and we have had a few dogs every time one gets to sick to treat it being kinder to put him down it is me that lays on the floor cuddling my friend while they inject him and put him to sleep. Every time it breaks my heart so now I will not have another dog it is to much like loosing a much loved child. you were off course right to let your friend go I still think of the cocker spaniel Tess who brought me up I used to ride on her back she was wonderfull I cried for a week when she died but I was only twelve.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Twizzel. I'm right there with you, holding my dog and talking to him or her (or my cat) through the whole experience. I won't fault someone who chooses to leave the room but I must stay with my friend. I understand your feeling about not wanting to get another dog. I have felt that way too in the past. Until one day I decided that the best way I could honor my late companion would be to save the life of another of his kind. Help another one. So that's what I've always done. We have our limit of dogs now so I won't be adopting another one any time soon. I understand how you feel. I hope you won't close off that loving, feeling part of you forever though, Twizz. And thank you for your kind words. :)
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has posted kindness here for me and my dog. I have come here often to read and re-read what you have written and you all have been a huge help to me. Thank you. :)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ugghh.

Thats really hard. Im sorry Red. :(
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Our furry friends. :-4
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Oh, Red! I am so sorry I didn't see this earlier!

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how awful I felt when my rottie girl died and I thought that the ache would never go away.

Now, going on two years later, I find myself thinking of all the cute, sweet, special things she did and I can smile, knowing that she is watching over me.
Sandi

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks, Lilac. Isn't that great that we can still smile about all the wonderful things they did and all their special qualities? It's been very lonely here without Spark and weird too- because it was unexpected. I've always had preparation before or else it's been an emergency situation. I've never just gone to the vet with an issue and come home alone before.
rkdian

Post by rkdian »

Most everything has already been said Rg. I just wanted to add that our pets are different from our children in one way. When they grow up, they stay with us. We can never be replaced in their hearts, nor they in ours. Though it hurts immensely now, you know you did the right thing. The decision to not let him suffer and the one to stay with him as his comforter to the end were honorable. He would not have left you at such a time either. Keep the pet rock. As silly as it sounds, it will trigger wonderful, loving memories in the future.

My condolences and love to you.:-4
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you AlmostFamous and Rkdian. Thank you very much.

I agree that our pets never leave us. I've had a lot of meanness in my life and animals are the one thing I've been able to count on being true. They don't hold judgements or grudges. And like you said, Rkdian, they wouldn't leave us in our time of need. :-4

ETA: If I can get to a scanner, I will post a photo of my dog. Maybe others would like to share their animals too? I'm funny like that: show me a grandkid and I'll be like "Nice. A baby. Nice." But show me your pets and I'll be screeching "Oh how darlingggg!!!!":wah: Just made that way I guess. ;)

Return to “Members' News”