Flying Our Flag.

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
abbey

Flying Our Flag.

Post by abbey »

mrsK;525240 wrote: This really makes me see red:mad:

We can fly our Flag whenever & wherever we want it is Australia we are living in after all.

Does this ever happen in your country????

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 21,00.html
Bloody disgraceful!

Lulu2

Flying Our Flag.

Post by Lulu2 »

Not sure I understand this example, but I know how powerful a symbol the flag can be. (Last year, for example. illegal immigrants decided to "demonstrate for their rights" here....and they carried Mexican flags, waving them around as if we were all in Mexico City.)

We all went ballistic! I can imagine how YOU all feel!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
RedGlitter

Flying Our Flag.

Post by RedGlitter »

I am not familiar with these riots they spoke of but aside from that I think this is ridiculous. If it were tehe US I woudl not object to having our flag there unless we were instructed to sing the national anthem or worse, recite the pledge. But just having it there for me to think about however I wished would not be offensive at all. I think if I were Australian, I would feel the same. I wish that guy hadn't defamed the word treehugger. That irked me.

And so did this article! Ridiculous!
RedGlitter

Flying Our Flag.

Post by RedGlitter »

Diuretic, that puts a different angle to it then. I can see where the people in charge would not want the flag there in this circumstance...but I also ask myself is that not giving in in a sense? To thugs? Just wondering.
Accountable

Flying Our Flag.

Post by Accountable »

Diuretic;525276 wrote: The problem isn't flying the flag, the problem is the thugs who are wrapping themselves in it and then using it as an instrument of their thuggery. On radio today - mrsK you probably haven't heard it I think - there's a fellow who recounts what happened to him on last year's Big Day Out. He was saying there was a thug wandering around the crowd with an Australian flag (this is in the wake of the Cronulla troubles) and demanding that people kiss the flag. The thug came up to the fellow who refused to kiss the flag and was then punched several times in the face.

These thugs would run a mile if the military asked them to defend what that flag stands for but they use it, cowards that they are, to monster people.

I fully support the organisers, they are within their rights.
They're thugs. They're not suddenly going to go docile just because you take away the flag. Arrest the individuals who do this and leave the flag alone.
Accountable

Flying Our Flag.

Post by Accountable »

Cellists, of course. But let's not go overboard. ;)

I must've misread. I'll go back to check if it were a public or private event.
Accountable

Flying Our Flag.

Post by Accountable »

http://www.bigdayout.com/news/pressreleases.php

Clarification on the Flag Issue

The Big Day Out would like to offer the following to clarify its position on "flag banning" at the Sydney show.

Contrary to the reports in the media, it was never our intention to disrespect the symbolism of the Australian or any other flag.

We are not banning the Australian flag but are simply discouraging its use for anti-social purposes at the Big Day Out.

We state unequivocally that flags will not be banned at any Australian Big Day Out show in the foreseeable future.

In recent times, there has been an increased incidence of flags brandished aggressively and this has led to increased tension. Our only intention in discouraging this activity at the Big Day Out is to ensure that our patrons are not subjected to this aggressive behaviour.

With all this in mind and the aim to create a happy, peaceful MUSICAL event, organisers would like to request that fans please leave their flags at home.

The Big Day Out is not an Australia Day event, but a music festival showcasing music artists from around the world and aspires to unify people through music.

Unfortunately the media reports yesterday were not quoted accurately and we must thank the participating media for wasting everybody's time including the Prime Minister John Howard, Premier Morris Iemma, NSW RSL President Don Rowe, Keysar Trad (a confidant of the Mufti Sheik Taj el-Dene Elhilaly) and Burt Lane of the Australian National Flag Association...
Richard Bell

Flying Our Flag.

Post by Richard Bell »

mrsK;525240 wrote: Does this ever happen in your country????

Flying the Canadian flag in Quebec gets the separatistes' "nez" out of joint. One Quebecois politician once referred to it as "that red rag".

Doesn't seem to be a problem at the Montreal Canadiens hockey games, where the flag is displayed and the national anthem is sung. Tradition, I guess.

Just don't be waving a Maple Leaf around Le Belle Province on St. John Baptiste Day (Quebec's "national" holiday).
Richard Bell

Flying Our Flag.

Post by Richard Bell »

Diuretic;525716 wrote: Well I can see their point of view. I mean the Brits did pinch Canada from the French :)

True, but we let go of the Union Jack 42 years ago, which was at least 50 years too late, by my reckoning.

There have been some suggestions that one of the red bars on the Maple Leaf be changed to blue, for Quebec's sake.

Getting back on topic, I think it's tragic that the Australian flag would be banned from an event, and despicable that a few hoodlums would abuse it in a disgraceful manner.
BabyRider

Flying Our Flag.

Post by BabyRider »

I'd LOVE to see someone try and say I coudn't fly my flag. I have a big one flying, and 5 or 6 little ones in my garden. Other people gets theirs swiped from their houses, but the crackheads around here don't TOUCH my stuff.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Accountable

Flying Our Flag.

Post by Accountable »

BabyRider;525915 wrote: I'd LOVE to see someone try and say I coudn't fly my flag. I have a big one flying, and 5 or 6 little ones in my garden. Other people gets theirs swiped from their houses, but the crackheads around here don't TOUCH my stuff.
Yeh, but tell us what'd happen to somebody running around making people kiss an American flag, and punching anyone who refused. :yh_beatup
BabyRider

Flying Our Flag.

Post by BabyRider »

Accountable;526182 wrote: Yeh, but tell us what'd happen to somebody running around making people kiss an American flag, and punching anyone who refused. :yh_beatup
:confused: Slightly confused here...Has that actually happened? Please tell me that hasn't actually happened....
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Accountable

Flying Our Flag.

Post by Accountable »

BabyRider;526194 wrote: :confused: Slightly confused here...Has that actually happened? Please tell me that hasn't actually happened....
That's what's happening in Oz.
OzBoy

Flying Our Flag.

Post by OzBoy »

It seems to me this is just another case of a minority group of galahs slowly eroding the democratic rights of the majority. The Big Day out is a global event that brings together a unique blend of people often from all over the world who all share a passion for music, art and entertainment. Whilst there is no political connection to it, I believe that anybody attending should have the freedom to wrap themselves in anything they want (and they usually do!) flag or whatever else they can lay their hands on! Providing that they can demonstrate a sense of national pride and mutual respect for their fellow partygoers this debate wouldn't even exist. The fact that there always has been and always will be ignorant wankers and drug f---ed idiots at this event should after all these years be a big enough hint for the authorities to provide suitable levels of policing to minimise the damage these people can and will cause - waving a flag or not.

I think its a positive reflection on the aussie youths attending who are proud enough to think its cool to wear their national flag over a pair of $200 designer jeans to a non political event and who can come together in the thousands and enjoy themselves peacefully and fill the air with love love love!!!!!!
OzBoy

Flying Our Flag.

Post by OzBoy »

Oh Minto how I miss thee, hang on :-3 but arent they usually too busy waving their bongs outtaa the window to be waving a flag too??? Maybe we need a universal flag with a logo that says only peace, love and friendship is allowed at this event! That way even if you dont kiss someones flag they cant knock your block off in protest, now what could that flag look like........
OzBoy

Flying Our Flag.

Post by OzBoy »

Thats bound to offend people who live in tropical climates for sure!!!! Can a person be racists against someones climate? :rolleyes:
OzBoy

Flying Our Flag.

Post by OzBoy »

Stone the flamin crows you're onto a winner!!!! :D
loser

Flying Our Flag.

Post by loser »

We don't need to fly our flag to feel patriotic.

A quick stroll into Lakemba and Bankstown and I feel like singing waltzing matilda at the top of my voice. The australian culture shines through there. None of this outdated rubbish like you see in Bondi or Manly. The future of Australia is Lakemba. And the sooner that all australians realise this, the better ;)
loser

Flying Our Flag.

Post by loser »

Diuretic;542001 wrote: You DO know that that's just Sydney don't you? Sydney culture is, well, Sydney. There is big country surrounding Sydney that Sydneysiders just don't know about. That's the real Australia, not Sydney and it's cramped masses. The sooner all Sydnesiders know that, the better. Oh and how about making Johnny H live in Canberra instead of Sydney? :D

Good god no. I dislike little johnny as much as the rest, but sending him to canberra?? That is really extreme punishment. Surrounding himself with loser politicians and loser public servants who can only earn money by sucking the juice out of the public purse. An extreme punishment. Next you will be suggesting that little Kim Beazley goes on a diet.
OzBoy

Flying Our Flag.

Post by OzBoy »

loser;541987 wrote: We don't need to fly our flag to feel patriotic.

A quick stroll into Lakemba and Bankstown and I feel like singing waltzing matilda at the top of my voice. The australian culture shines through there. None of this outdated rubbish like you see in Bondi or Manly. The future of Australia is Lakemba. And the sooner that all australians realise this, the better ;)

:-2 Um can you elaborate on this please L? As a Sydneysider Im somewhat put off by your adoration for Lakemba and what that suburb supposedly represents
loser

Flying Our Flag.

Post by loser »

OzBoy;542286 wrote: :-2 Um can you elaborate on this please L? As a Sydneysider Im somewhat put off by your adoration for Lakemba and what that suburb supposedly represents

Ozboy it was attempted wit by me. Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the computer.

Believe me, I am no fan of Lakemba. I went there last year and could not believe my eyes. I have seen such areas in all parts of Europe, but Australia? i was really astonished. I was also astonished at the huge division in Sydney between the have's and have nots. You have multi million dollar homes on the east and the north and total slums in the south west. It is an interesting city. Most other cities in Australia are more middle class than Sydney.
OzBoy

Flying Our Flag.

Post by OzBoy »

We so need a smilie that represents sarcasm!

The divide between the haves and have not's grows by the year back home. North and East Sydney have always been the traditional haunts of the rich and upper class as its still seen as smart and 'urban cool' to buy an overpriced, over valued 2 bedroom miners cottage for $1 million AUD, whereas western Sydney has unfortunatley been more associated with the lower classes. Although real estate is fast changing that perception as a lot of the supposed middle class folk cant afford to buy anywhere else so its slowly but surely becoming cool to buy in Campbelltown or Parramatta but the social divide with folk living on 'the other side' of the bridge will never change!

Return to “Australia”