Hi every body

herry12

Hi every body

Post by herry12 »

Valerian Extract

Valerian is an herbal remedy derived from the dried roots of the valerian plant, Valeriana officinalis. Valerian is intended to provide nutritive support for normal, restful sleep. Valerian is most commonly used to relieve mild cases of anxiety and insomnia.

Read more About Valerian Extract

(website removed)
Bill Sikes

Hi every body

Post by Bill Sikes »

herry12;520865 wrote: Valerian Extract

Valerian is an herbal remedy derived from the dried roots of the valerian plant, Valeriana officinalis. Valerian is intended to provide nutritive support for normal, restful sleep. Valerian is most commonly used to relieve mild cases of anxiety and insomnia.

Read more About Valerian Extract

(website removed)

Are you flogging this stuff, or just interested in it?
spot

Hi every body

Post by spot »

Not that I'm well informed about these things at all, but the article at http://www.minddisorders.com/Py-Z/Valerian.html seems well constructed. Since people might hit this thread in future a fuller description like this could be useful.

Precautions

Persons who take valerian should consult an experienced herbalist about dosage and about reliable sources of the herb. Because herbal preparations are not regulated by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration, consumers cannot be certain of the freshness and potency of commercial herbal products. In July 2001, an independent laboratory published the results of its tests of 17 valerian products; only nine contained the amount of valerian that their labels claimed. Of the remaining eight products, four contained only half the amount of valerian that they should have, and the other four contained none at all.

Although valerian has a good reputation for safety when used as directed, it should not be used in high doses or taken continuously for longer than two to three weeks.

Side effects

Some people taking valerian may experience a paradoxical effect; that is, they may feel agitated or jittery instead of relaxed or sleepy. This side effect is not dangerous, but it should be reported to the patient's health care provider. If the dosage is too high, an individual could experience longer sleep than usual, and wake up not feeling well-rested.

Prolonged use of valerian results in tolerance, and increasing the dose may have serious side effects. According to some researchers, long-term use of valerian may cause psychological depression, damage to the liver, or damage to the central nervous system.

High short-term doses of valerian have been reported to cause headaches, muscle spasms, dizziness, digestive upsets, insomnia, and confusion.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
weeder

Hi every body

Post by weeder »

Thank you for posting this info Spot.... I have been cautiously taking this herb. My son, also
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
tedhutchinson

Hi every body

Post by tedhutchinson »

Valerian for anxiety disorders. there is insufficient evidence to draw any conclusions about the efficacy or safety of valerian compared with placebo

Valerian for sleepThe available evidence suggests that valerian might improve sleep quality without producing side effects

St. John's wort and black cohosh appear to be the most useful in alleviating mood and anxiety changes during menopause. Ginseng may be effective, but more research needs to be done. Kava holds promise for decreasing anxiety in peri- and postmenopausal women; however, women should be careful in the amount and duration of use. Finally, ginkgo and valerian do not appear to be useful in reducing depression or anxiety in this population.
WonderWendy3

Hi every body

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I've taken valerian before, and gave it to my son when he was younger to calm him down at night, he was diagnosed with ADHD at age 7, of course neither one of us have taken it for years.

Thank you for all of the information though:-6
alobar51

Hi every body

Post by alobar51 »

spot;521149 wrote: Not that I'm well informed about these things at all, but the article at http://www.minddisorders.com/Py-Z/Valerian.html seems well constructed. Since people might hit this thread in future a fuller description like this could be useful.

Precautions

Persons who take valerian should consult an experienced herbalist about dosage and about reliable sources of the herb. Because herbal preparations are not regulated by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration, consumers cannot be certain of the freshness and potency of commercial herbal products. In July 2001, an independent laboratory published the results of its tests of 17 valerian products; only nine contained the amount of valerian that their labels claimed. Of the remaining eight products, four contained only half the amount of valerian that they should have, and the other four contained none at all.

Although valerian has a good reputation for safety when used as directed, it should not be used in high doses or taken continuously for longer than two to three weeks.

Side effects

Some people taking valerian may experience a paradoxical effect; that is, they may feel agitated or jittery instead of relaxed or sleepy. This side effect is not dangerous, but it should be reported to the patient's health care provider. If the dosage is too high, an individual could experience longer sleep than usual, and wake up not feeling well-rested.

Prolonged use of valerian results in tolerance, and increasing the dose may have serious side effects. According to some researchers, long-term use of valerian may cause psychological depression, damage to the liver, or damage to the central nervous system.

High short-term doses of valerian have been reported to cause headaches, muscle spasms, dizziness, digestive upsets, insomnia, and confusion.

>>>Because herbal preparations are not regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration...

This is, simply, not true. All dietary supplements in the US are highly regulated by the FDA under a law called DSHEA, Dietary supplement health education act of 1994.

I am heavily restricted about what I say on my labels and verbally about the structure/function of any vitamin, mineral, enzyme, herb or amino acid. The FDA can come into my place and seize anything they deem unsafe without a warrant anytime they choose.
spot

Hi every body

Post by spot »

alobar51;525408 wrote: >>>Because herbal preparations are not regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration...

This is, simply, not true. All dietary supplements in the US are highly regulated by the FDA under a law called DSHEA, Dietary supplement health education act of 1994.

I am heavily restricted about what I say on my labels and verbally about the structure/function of any vitamin, mineral, enzyme, herb or amino acid. The FDA can come into my place and seize anything they deem unsafe without a warrant anytime they choose.

I had understood - though I may, as I said initially, be uninformed - that the DHSEA regulations applied only to materials explicitly "labelled as a 'dietary supplement'". Are you obliged to label herbal remedies or tinctures that way?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Hi every body

Post by koan »

Herbs used in the proper way are highly effective. I've studied the matter and been my own physician for a number of years now. There are certain things I will still go to emergency for and am not suggesting that people should stop having regular check ups but my life has been full bad experiences of side effects from normally prescribed medicines.

I use good quality dried herbs and measure the doses into a tea ball. It should be steeped for 12 minutes and drunk as hot as possible to get the maximum effect. Herbs can be overdosed. You should know what herbs you are taking and be sure of how much is required. If a person takes herbs seriously and learns about them, there is no denying how effectively they work.

A good example is a time I was getting a throat infection. This used to happen to me about once a year, usually in the winter. You can tell it is infected because if you say "aaaah" in front of a mirror, you will see white patches at the back of your throat. Mine was covered. I immediately got out the herbs that I had with me which would be useful, gargled with warm salt water and drank one cup of tea every hour until the swelling started to subside. The white patches were gone the next day. I continued taking the tea three times a day for the next two days and I recovered fully. No antibiotics required.
Richard Bell

Hi every body

Post by Richard Bell »

koan;525698 wrote: I immediately got out the herbs that I had with me which would be useful...

...and what might those be ???
koan

Hi every body

Post by koan »

there are a few choices and combinations not just one magic herb. I'm specifically avoiding writing the remedy for a throat infection as I am not a licensed herbalist or physician of any kind. It's a liability thing.
tedhutchinson

Hi every body

Post by tedhutchinson »

koan;525698 wrote: This used to happen to me about once a year, usually in the winter. .I wonder if it has occured to you that "Winter" is the time when Vitamin D status is at it's lowest?

Epidemic Influenza And Vitamin D

The Antibiotic vitamin

The Vitamin D council

Prevention is better than cure.
koan

Hi every body

Post by koan »

Thanks for your concern.

I've not had problems for a number of years now.
Jim Horn

Hi every body

Post by Jim Horn »

Great! I love raw foods that make you healthy, veggies and fruit.

My problem is I am always in a hurry so junk food is my diet.

So I take Natural Supplements. One is a peach flavored energy and muscle building supplement, has lots of vitamins.

In April 2008 I had Knee surgery (not recommended) had to wear a knee brace.

I was taking Osteo Bi-Flex still had to wear a Knee Brace, I now take a natural advanced joint support and have not worn my brace for about 45 days.

So needlessly to say I love supplements, even if it cost me 50 dollars a month

Jim
spot

Hi every body

Post by spot »

Hi Jim, welcome to the site.
G-man

Hi every body

Post by G-man »

Welcome Jim. I had knee surgery years ago now and I know that the knee can take awhile to heal. Koan, swears by this book Heal Your Body written by Louise L. Hays in which she contends that the knees represent the ego and pride according to metaphysics. It's worth reading and you can reference it online in the link.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Jim Horn

Hi every body

Post by Jim Horn »

Thank you G Man

That was very inspirational.

I whole agree that love of god, life and your emotional surroundings

is a cure for everything.

I would like to share a couple of quotes with you from people very

close to me:

Father on the day of his passing,

When you have your health you have everything, take care of it.

Ministers wife:

You have to love yourself before others can.

To me that fits in with her story.

Thanks for the welcome and letting me join.

This is my first time in a forum or blog.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”