buying a timeshare

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Lon

buying a timeshare

Post by Lon »

I have never understood the appeal of TIMESHARES. They are not an appreciating asset like a home. Look how many are availlable on the net at big discounts. I wouldn't even buy one at half the price that someone else paid. There are just too many other options for vacationing that are easier on the pocket book and less restrictive. I guess they are OK for lazy folks that don't want to plan or spend any time comparing time shares with other options.
Tombstone

buying a timeshare

Post by Tombstone »

I agree with Lon. Flexibility is a necessity for most families when planning a vacation. Timeshares don't give you this. They do depreciate in value just like a new car.

If you are convinced you want a timeshare, buy it from an existing member. You'll get anywhere from 30% to 99% discount off list. Check out the real market value of these things on eBay.

I saw a real doozy on eBay last month. It was being sold to unsuspecting eBay'ers for a premium price. Yes, it is a great resort close to us - on the lake - close to the resort town. The description talked about the biking, the swimming, the fishing, the hiking - and in small print it said: October 28th - November 4th. ahem. Last year, we hit -27 F on that week. Not the best swimming weather. :-2

Be careful!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
minks

buying a timeshare

Post by minks »

purple wrote: Does anyone know a good book about this? I mean, a real book that is objective, not one that's published by a timeshare company.

In this day and age I would not buy a time share but merely buy time from an owner of one, many people own them and try to sell of some of their times.

I am a second generation owner of a time share and love it. We own in British Columbia, it is a **** rating and the timeshare company will not allow us to rent anything of lesser rating. We have had awesome success in California, Hawaii and Mexico. It is flexible you can go anywhere in the world with them. As well you have to be flexible, you can't just say ok in a years time I am goind to the Disney Resort Timeshare and that is the only one I want. Bah by being flexible we discovered some lovely parts of the country.

I can't say as I ever in a million years thought California was anything but a beach community until we took a time share in lovely Ramona. Inland, borders on the desert and in golf haven. The place was lovely and now my family wish's to go back but it is consistantly booked up.

So do your research and be open minded and really decide if you want to buy one and put out the initial $$ as well as anual Maintenance fees or just buy weeks at a time off others out there in the world.

Interval and RCI are very reputable. (the first having the best success stories and being a little more upscaled)

Good luck, and also maybe check out online for "time shares for dummies" I mean isn't there one of those yellow and black "dummies" books published on every topic hehehehehe

or www.dogpile.com and type in books on timeshare purchases.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Paula

buying a timeshare

Post by Paula »

Timeshare, No Good, from my experience, they push it on you, it looks good but you have to vacation whether you want to-- the same time every year? For the Thousands they want, think about it, you could do alot with that money? Not Good Really!!
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
Tombstone

buying a timeshare

Post by Tombstone »

minks wrote: In this day and age I would not buy a time share but merely buy time from an owner of one, many people own them and try to sell of some of their times.

I am a second generation owner of a time share and love it. We own in British Columbia, it is a **** rating and the timeshare company will not allow us to rent anything of lesser rating. We have had awesome success in California, Hawaii and Mexico. It is flexible you can go anywhere in the world with them. As well you have to be flexible, you can't just say ok in a years time I am goind to the Disney Resort Timeshare and that is the only one I want. Bah by being flexible we discovered some lovely parts of the country.

I can't say as I ever in a million years thought California was anything but a beach community until we took a time share in lovely Ramona. Inland, borders on the desert and in golf haven. The place was lovely and now my family wish's to go back but it is consistantly booked up.

So do your research and be open minded and really decide if you want to buy one and put out the initial $$ as well as anual Maintenance fees or just buy weeks at a time off others out there in the world.

Interval and RCI are very reputable. (the first having the best success stories and being a little more upscaled)

Good luck, and also maybe check out online for "time shares for dummies" I mean isn't there one of those yellow and black "dummies" books published on every topic hehehehehe

or www.dogpile.com and type in books on timeshare purchases.
These are great suggestions. I forgot about the ability to spend time in different locales. That would be a big plus if you could plan ahead.
minks

buying a timeshare

Post by minks »

Tombstone wrote: These are great suggestions. I forgot about the ability to spend time in different locales. That would be a big plus if you could plan ahead.

Absolutely, I mean you are not tied to your "home" base that is hardly what they are about.

We can travel the world and use our time share time anyplace really. And it offers a great excuse to see new places, check the book (much like a sears cataloge) and say oooo look katmandu, never been there, we have a time share lets go wahoooo and off you go.

Much fun, though I have never been to Katmandu but what the heck I like the name that and timbuctu, tuktoiuktuk and moose jaw ahahaha

Oh never mind only 1.5 hours left and I am home for the weekend weeeeeeee
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Tombstone

buying a timeshare

Post by Tombstone »

minks wrote: Absolutely, I mean you are not tied to your "home" base that is hardly what they are about.

Oh never mind only 1.5 hours left and I am home for the weekend weeeeeeee

Indeed! :driving:
LottomagicZ4941

buying a timeshare

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

I've been hesitant to post here.

Certainly could have paid less for the time share.

But the wife loves it.

It tells here I have factored in a family vacation every year.

This year we did not use it because she is starting a new job.

So we "banked" it.

It is a bit of a raw deal in that we have paid for something we have not used. But it is also a good deal in that I have purchaced a vacation for her.

I don't know if any of this will make any since to you all.

I could have gotten a better deal but I did not do to bad.

It costs us $50 if we want to go somewhere other then our home base.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

Magic

Return to “Travel Vacation”