Go Home!

How's your day going? Are you having a great work day - or - a horrible one? Got complaints about your boss? Your co-workers? Your spouse or friends? This is the place to let it hang out.
Fibonacci

Go Home!

Post by Fibonacci »

Has anybody Here ever been sent home from work? It happened to me today. Normally I wouldn't mind. It's just that today they let me work for 4 hours.

I got up early. I got to work early. I helped the driver load the truck. And then just as I was about to get into the truck, My supervisor tells me that they dont need me today! Couldn't he have told me that earlier? Like when I got there?
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Marie5656

Go Home!

Post by Marie5656 »

Closest I ever came (except for being sent home due to illness or bad weather) was when I worked in a factory..they would sometimes schedule overtime, then take it back as we got caught up during "regular" time.
jennyswan

Go Home!

Post by jennyswan »

Only if I was feeling very unwell and it was obvious. :)
Tater Tazz

Go Home!

Post by Tater Tazz »

I have been sent home once, for being sick. They use to ask people alot if they wanted to leave early when slow I would volenteer, but they would never let me go. They can not ask anymore, because you have to work your schedule.
Fibonacci

Go Home!

Post by Fibonacci »

Diuretic;507015 wrote: Will they pay you for that four hours Fibonacci?

Yes, I'll be paid. That 's not why I was angry though. They've done that to me several times. It gets annoying.
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Accountable

Go Home!

Post by Accountable »

Diuretic;507786 wrote: That's Texas for you - "at-will employment". :(
Freedom's a two-edged sword.
Rain

Go Home!

Post by Rain »

They got you help loading the truck, then.... bub-bye. That sucks. Still 4 hours is better than none. Do they do this always on a Saturday? Geez, you could've slept in :rolleyes:
weeder

Go Home!

Post by weeder »

Employers have to be hard edged with watching payroll dollars, in order to survive. That means being able to do what they did to you the other day. I am not able to do this. I learned I am not a good candidate to be an employer, I care too much about the people who work for me. Its awful to be used, and to be sent home. There isnt any way for you to calculate, or rely on your income. Sounds like it is time to look for another job.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Accountable

Go Home!

Post by Accountable »

Diuretic;507798 wrote: One edge is razor sharp and one is as blunt as a brick.
:confused:
Accountable

Go Home!

Post by Accountable »

weeder;507971 wrote: Sounds like it is time to look for another job.
I have a couple of contacts if you're interested, Fib. Just let me know.
weeder

Go Home!

Post by weeder »

I am in a very ironic situation.... What else is new????? Some of you know my sags. But anyway, after 15 years of self employment... and as a former business owner for 12 of those... I found myself this past July in dire straits.. due to a very unwise business venture down in Georgia. Totally out of money, I bit the bullett an took a WAITRESSING JOB!!!! Of all things. at my age. The dirt I have had to eat these past 7 months has been incredible. The blow to my ego has been indescribible. And what irony... me, who has always held the rights of my employees uppermost in my mind.. gets put in a position where the disrespect is blatant. Anyway, Ive asked the " Man upstairs" or whoever is in charge of laughing at my bizarre life... What am I doing here?? What lesson am I suppose to be learning now???? A couple of weeks ago.. I GOT IT!!!!!!! You are here to rally the troops together ( co- workers) to stand up for themselves.. recognize that they must demand respect. I do it with humor. Everyone is laughing. Its great. I also make certain that others are in ear shot.. every time I stand up for myself. Life is good again.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Fibonacci

Go Home!

Post by Fibonacci »

Just got a call from one of my co-workers. My supervisor showed up to work drunk today. He got fired.
Fibonacci

Go Home!

Post by Fibonacci »

:D

Hopefully I wont be sent home anymore.
Accountable

Go Home!

Post by Accountable »

Fibonacci;509565 wrote: :D

Hopefully I wont be sent home anymore.
Start looking for things to keep you busy. Watch the boss for his pet peeves and start taking care of them before he mentions it. You'll be golden & he'll never send you home.
Indian Princess

Go Home!

Post by Indian Princess »

If it were me, I would have to view the situation as do I need the money that bad,I would probably make the statement My time off is VERY valuable, as I am sure yours is to you, so you will understand me fully when I say that dont schedule me to work unless you need me all day, I understand you didnt do this intentionally but like I said my time is valuable as is yous.

Thus you have turned it around without sounding rude, and you dont sound like a suck up, if you need the ot, or the straight time.
nvalleyvee

Go Home!

Post by nvalleyvee »

Fibonacci;505442 wrote: Has anybody Here ever been sent home from work? It happened to me today. Normally I wouldn't mind. It's just that today they let me work for 4 hours.

I got up early. I got to work early. I helped the driver load the truck. And then just as I was about to get into the truck, My supervisor tells me that they dont need me today! Couldn't he have told me that earlier? Like when I got there?

Big companies do this when sales don't meet what they spend on labor. They did use you for their own needs that day though - yes they used you. It really sucks when you need the money. Petco would ask for people who could take a leave day before they picked people to go home.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Fibonacci

Go Home!

Post by Fibonacci »

Things are much better at work since they fired him. :D

I haven't been sent home once AND I got a raise!
Accountable

Go Home!

Post by Accountable »

Fibonacci;544626 wrote: Things are much better at work since they fired him. :D

I haven't been sent home once AND I got a raise!
Congrats! Ain't it nice to be appreciated?
Indian Princess

Go Home!

Post by Indian Princess »

Did you say fired? Sometimes that can be a beautiful thing!!!:p

Depending on which end of the word you are. Ha. Ha.

Return to “Welcome To My Day!”