Learning Hebrew

Discuss the Jewish Faith and the Torah.
koan

Learning Hebrew

Post by koan »

Anyone know a good way?

I got tapes from a library once but it was rather monotonous.

I really want to learn it though. Just go the monotonous route?
chonsigirl

Learning Hebrew

Post by chonsigirl »

It depends on if you want to learn modern day Hebrew, or Old Testament Hebrew. I learned the Old Testament Hebrew the old way, I don't think it was boring at all. Hebrew is very interesting to learn.
spot

Learning Hebrew

Post by spot »

I have a friend who started to learn when he was twenty, he got sufficiently fluent to converse as well as read without falling back into English. He took lessons rather than just tapes and books and it was a couple of years before he really got where he wanted to with it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Learning Hebrew

Post by koan »

chonsigirl;502863 wrote: It depends on if you want to learn modern day Hebrew, or Old Testament Hebrew. I learned the Old Testament Hebrew the old way, I don't think it was boring at all. Hebrew is very interesting to learn.

Old Testament Hebrew. Did you learn with tapes? I'd be interested to know what series it was.
chonsigirl

Learning Hebrew

Post by chonsigirl »

I shall see if the tapes are around, it has been about 15 years or so. I used the standard type grammar books also. It is an interesting language to learn.

Did you like learning Arabic, Magenta? I always wanted to learn that. I learned Greek and Latin years ago too.
Marie5656

Learning Hebrew

Post by Marie5656 »

Check out a local synagogue..see if there is a teacher from the Hebrew school who would help you. I knew a guy who taughgt in a Hebrew school, who gave language lessons for some extra income. He was from Israel..so Hebrew was his native language.
Marie5656

Learning Hebrew

Post by Marie5656 »

Don't we have someone here on the forum who speaks Hebrew? A fairly new member? Maybe he can help.
Marie5656

Learning Hebrew

Post by Marie5656 »

Magenta flame;502901 wrote: the one that signs off with Shalom?

That would be Ted. I just double checked, the person I am thinking of is danieeeel I think.
chonsigirl

Learning Hebrew

Post by chonsigirl »

But Hebrew is close to Arabic. I found out once, when I watched the movie Malcolm X. Now, I had never saw it before, but wanted to show the scene of the Hajj he took to Mecca, to show in my class. The dialogue was in Arabic. So I got the video, and sat to watch it. Oh my, I was so surprised, I know almost everything they were saying-it was a real trip. I asked a teacher at school about it, he was Jewish and he told me the languages are very similar phonetically.
Marie5656

Learning Hebrew

Post by Marie5656 »

Interesting Chonsi. That would make sens, I gues..they are historically from the same geographic area, aren't they?

I mean, I know Spanish and Italian are very similar. Had a Spanish co-worker once who told me he could have a minimal conversation with an Italian if he had to.
chonsigirl

Learning Hebrew

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, it is easy to read the related languages, like Italian, Portuguese, when you know Spanish. I can do that, French I have to think of alot. I don't use it very much, and I didn't really learn it.
koan

Learning Hebrew

Post by koan »

Marie5656;502887 wrote: Check out a local synagogue..see if there is a teacher from the Hebrew school who would help you. I knew a guy who taughgt in a Hebrew school, who gave language lessons for some extra income. He was from Israel..so Hebrew was his native language.

Yes, that's a good idea. I'd like to get a grasp of the basics before asking someone to invest time in me though. After the basics I think actually attempting conversation is the best way to go. Immersion. I've read that no one is 100% sure of how ancient Hebrew was pronounced. Is there much difference between modern and ancient?
Bez

Learning Hebrew

Post by Bez »

I had a quick look on google and as with other languages, there are all sorts of sites, methods, software etc. I guess it depends how deep into the language you want to go. Someone suggested getting in touch with a local synagogue....this seems a good idea.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
chonsigirl

Learning Hebrew

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, there is always a difference between an ancient and modern language. I think Marie's idea is an excellent one, try the local synagogue or Hebrew School. They usually have classes for adults.
koan

Learning Hebrew

Post by koan »

I just found a CD with learning Hebrew on it. Forgot I had it! And found a good website for follow up. I'll practice some of the basic words and record them for you so someone can tell me how I'm doing.
koan

Learning Hebrew

Post by koan »

oh yeah. another question.

Do they have an alphabet song? To help remember the letters?
TerahEl

Learning Hebrew

Post by TerahEl »

What does the word Hebrew mean and where did it come from . :driving:
spot

Learning Hebrew

Post by spot »

TerahEl;603030 wrote: What does the word Hebrew mean and where did it come from . :driving:If you'd like to copy the entire 2004 posting it's at http://www.destee.com/forums/archive/in ... 25289.html

and at http://christianityforums.com/cgi-bin/u ... 000305;p=1

and at http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showt ... hp?t=22258

and, indeed, all over the place, most of it uncredited to the original author, Dr. Malachi Z. York-El, of whom it is said:Our Savior, Dr. Malachi Z. York-El, let’s unite in the facts he constantly receives, writes & speaks. He is the author of the scrolls mentioned on this website, unless noted otherwise. He’s not claiming to be “Christ,” and even wrote a book entitled, I Don’t Claim To Be (it’s out of print).

They said cult he said culture. They said believe, he said be lying to Eve’s seed. They said theology he said factology.

He’s been teaching for over 30 years by writing over 360 books on every subject under and over the Sun (think about that). Tapes of his lectures called “True Light” have broadcast all over the country and books have been translated for others worldwide. Undisputable Facts!

How right does a man have to be before you accept his divinity?

http://factology.com/savior.htm

The Oxford English Dictionary etymology actually agrees with the good Doctor this time:from the Aramaic "ebrai", corresponding to the Hebrew "ibr" ‘a Hebrew’, lit. ‘one from the other side (of the river)’; from "ber" the region on the other or opposite side; from "bar" to cross or pass over. Cf. the LXX, Gen. xiv. 13 ‘Abram the passer-over’ or ‘immigrant’.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
TerahEl

Learning Hebrew

Post by TerahEl »

spot;603044 wrote: If you'd like to copy the entire 2004 posting it's at http://www.destee.com/forums/archive/in ... 25289.html

and at http://christianityforums.com/cgi-bin/u ... 000305;p=1

and at http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showt ... hp?t=22258

and, indeed, all over the place, most of it uncredited to the original author, Dr. Malachi Z. York-El, of whom it is said:Our Savior, Dr. Malachi Z. York-El, let’s unite in the facts he constantly receives, writes & speaks. He is the author of the scrolls mentioned on this website, unless noted otherwise. He’s not claiming to be “Christ,” and even wrote a book entitled, I Don’t Claim To Be (it’s out of print).

They said cult he said culture. They said believe, he said be lying to Eve’s seed. They said theology he said factology.

He’s been teaching for over 30 years by writing over 360 books on every subject under and over the Sun (think about that). Tapes of his lectures called “True Light” have broadcast all over the country and books have been translated for others worldwide. Undisputable Facts!

How right does a man have to be before you accept his divinity?

http://factology.com/savior.htm

The Oxford English Dictionary etymology actually agrees with the good Doctor this time:from the Aramaic "ebrai", corresponding to the Hebrew "ibr" ‘a Hebrew’, lit. ‘one from the other side (of the river)’; from "ber" the region on the other or opposite side; from "bar" to cross or pass over. Cf. the LXX, Gen. xiv. 13 ‘Abram the passer-over’ or ‘immigrant’.

Who's copying and pasteing now , Thanks for the help
spot

Learning Hebrew

Post by spot »

TerahEl;603054 wrote: Who's copying and pasteing now , Thanks for the helpI'm attributing everything I quote to its source and author. I think that's good practice. You'll also note that I didn't quote the main body of the text, I provided links to it instead.
TerahEl

Learning Hebrew

Post by TerahEl »

The Word Hebrew , In Aramic , Is The Word Ibriy Which Comes From The Root Word Abar . Which Means ; '' To Cross Over , To Pass Over '' In The Aramic / Hebrew Language , In Ashuric / Syriac / Arabic , The Word Aabiyr , For '' Eber '' , Means '' The One Traverses And Ebra Meaning '' To Traverse ; To Expound '' '' Traversing '' As Used In The Person To Whom The Name Was Given Fiest . Was Eber , Son Of Salah , Son Of Shem , Son Of Noah , As Found In Genesis 10 ; 21

Noah ( 2970 -2020 B.C.E. ) Son Of Lamech And Kamilah Genesis 5; 29 ..

Shem ( 2470 - 1870 B.C.E. ) Son Of Noah And Namah Genesis 5;32

The Name Eber , Also Abar , Ay - Ber And Heber , Means The Region Beyond ''

From This You Get The Derivative Of Eber , Hebrew , To Mean '' One Who Crossed From Beyond One Region To Another '' Or Simply '' To Cross Over '' Genesis 14 ; 13 And That's Just What Hebrew Means '' To Cross Over ,

To Be CONTINUE In Next Post
TerahEl

Learning Hebrew

Post by TerahEl »

According To Deuteronomy 15; 12 , In The Strong's Concordance The Word '' Hebrew '' Ibriy Is Not The Name Of A Tribe Or A People . Hebrew Is Just A Title For What Abraham And His People Did Not What They Were . The Word Hebrew Is Merely Describing An Acts Of A People Or A Person ; Moving From One Side To Another , And Could Apply To People Originally Born On One Side Of The Mississippi River , And Deciding To Relocate To The Other Side Of The Mississippi River . In English They Would Be Called '' Crossed Over '' In The Canaanite Language They Would He Called Hebrew , Which Later Was Picked Up And Because Their Name . As You Have Seen , The Name '' Hebrew '' Existed Before Abraham With A Man Name Eber . People Think That The Word Hebrew Stems From The Word Hebron Genesis 13; 18 The Name Of A Place In The Hill Of Judah South Of Jerusalem Where Sarah Died Genesis 23 ; 2 . However , If You Check It Out In The Original Language . You See It Does Not . Now Take A Look At The Word Ibriy . The First Letter Aiyn Is The Hard A Or I In Hebrew . The Root Of Ibriy Is Abar

Meaning '' To Cross Over '' Whereas . The Root Of 'Hebron ' Chebrown Pronounced Khebronee '' Is Cheber Meaning '' A Society ; Also A Spell , Charmer , Enchatment '' These Two Words Do Not Have The Same Root , Therefore , You Can See That They Are Not The Same Word By Their Roots .

To Be CONTINUE In Next Post :driving:
TerahEl

Learning Hebrew

Post by TerahEl »

The Word '' Israel '' Yisra'el Pronounced Yis - Raw - Ale In Aramic / Hebrew , And Israa'el In Ashuric / Syriac / Arabic Means El Prevails '' As If God Could Lose . In This Case , The Translation Of Israel . Which Would Be '' God Prevails Or Won '' Is First Used In Genesis 32; 38 As The Name Of Jacob ( Koran 2; 132 - 133 ) Then As A Nation Koran 2; 47-53 In Reference To Jacob , Son Of Isaac , Son Of Abraham , Who Was Running From His Brother Esau In Fear , For His Life .

Genesis 32; 38 ...

Jacoh ( 1918 - 1771 B,C.E, ) Son Od Isaac And Rebekah ( Genesis 25; 26 )

Jocob Was Running From Esau , Because Of An Evil Act That He And His Mother Rebekah Commited . By Straling Esau's Brithright ( Genesis Chapter 27 ) And Deceiving Their Father Issac , In His Old Age In Blindness ( Genesis 27 ; 1 )

Isaac ( 1978 - 1798 B.C.E ) Son Of Abraham And Sarah ( Genesis 17; 19 )

Rebekah Daughter Of Bethu'el And Zigiaq ( Genesis 22; 23 ) ..

In The Process Of Trying To Run From His Brother Esau . Jacob Was Stopped By What Follwers Of The King James Bible , Called An Angel , That Was Obviously In Human Frorm , In Order For Jacob To Be Able To Wrestle Whith Him , And In Genesis 32 ; 24 Jaocb Wrestled With An '' Eesh Meaning '' Male Living Being , Physical Man ; An Angel Who Wrestled And Caused Jacob's Thigh To Go Out Of Joint Genesis 32; 25 Before Blessing Him And Chaning His Name From Jacob To Israel Genesis 32; 28 ...

To Be CONTINUE In Next Post
TerahEl

Learning Hebrew

Post by TerahEl »

How Can '' Hebrew '' And '' Israelites '' Be One In The Same When The Word Hebrew Is Just A '' Title ?

If They Were , They Would Know That The Word '' Hebrew '' Is A Title That Was Attributed To Abraham When He Traveled From Ur Of Chaldees , And Crossed A Strip Of Land Called Mesopotamia , Which Is Nestled Between The Tigris - Euphrates River . Abraham Son Of Terah ( Genesis 11; 27 ) He Was Attributed The Title '' Hebrew '' When He Traveled From Ur Of Chaldees And Crossed The Mesoptamia Genesis 14; 13 Abraham Was In Route To The Land Of The Canaaites . Which Was Promised To Him And His Descendants Who Were Destined To Come From His Seed For An Everlasting Possession Genesis 17; 8 . Abraham Met A Group Of Phoenician - Canaanites ( The Canaanite Tribe Of Sidon Who Mixed In With The Assyrians ) Who Witnessed Abraham Crossing The Tigris - Euphrates , And Referred To Him And His Family As Ibriy '' One Who Passed Over , Joseph , Son Of Jacob , Son Of Isaac , Son Of Abraham . Was Also Called A '' Hebrew '' In Genesis 39 ; 14 ...In Genesis 32 ; 31 The Word '' To Pass Over '' Is The Hebrew Word Abar Meaning '' To Crossover '' And In Arabic ,, You Have The Same Word Containing The Same Letters ; '' Aiyn '' Beh '' Rah '' Abara Meaning The Other Side Or Cross Over '' Which Is The Same Root The Word Hebrew Comes From Genesis 32; 31 .. In This Quote , It Is Referring To When Jacoh , The Father Of Israel , Passed Over [ From The Abar ] The River , From One Side To The Other .

:driving:
Saffire

Learning Hebrew

Post by Saffire »

koan;502861 wrote: Anyone know a good way?

Hebrew is very hard, and once you have learned it, you need to keep it up by using it regularly or having people in the community who speak it regulary so you can maintain it. Luckily I have Israelis among my community so we can communicate in Hebrew and I speak it alot when I am in Israel, I have a Hebrew keyboard and I can log onto Hebrew online, the hardest thing is, that if you live in surroundings where the dominant language is not of Hebrew, then you will find it difficult to keep up with what you know/learn, everybody around me is English speaking, so the only times I get to use Hebrew is when I am writing in Hebrew, mail to friends in Israel or when I am in the Synagogue every week, where we speak/sing Hebrew throughout the service. Because I don't have anyone close by, who speaks Hebrew, I tend to spend more time using English, but I try to keep up with my Hebrew every day (all my prayers every day are in Hebrew). It is hard work maintaining the language, so good luck with your studies. I think I have become lazy in my use of Hebrew, but I really love singing in Hebrew.
Lon

Learning Hebrew

Post by Lon »

koan;502861 wrote: Anyone know a good way?

Marry a jew.
spot

Learning Hebrew

Post by spot »

Lon;651392 wrote: Marry a jew.Lon, you'll have the girl talking Yiddish if you're not careful. That should read "Marry an Israeli Jew who doesn't speak English and refuses ever to learn any on principle". Normally someone with that mindset would be unlikely to marry out but she has curious charm, she might manage it.
Carl44

Learning Hebrew

Post by Carl44 »

sorry wrong thread i thought it said learning how to home brew :rolleyes: :D

Clint

Learning Hebrew

Post by Clint »

Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Ted

Learning Hebrew

Post by Ted »

I learned OT Hebrew from a Hebrew scholar/archaeologist at university.

Shalom

Ted:-6
G-man

Learning Hebrew

Post by G-man »

I've always had good luck with language cd's accompanied by books... some are better than others, though... I've only picked up a bit of Hebrew to get by travelling... and erm... what I learned from an ex g/f... but... well much of that isn't exactly something useful for travellers... :o

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Shimon

Learning Hebrew

Post by Shimon »

Lon;651392 wrote: Marry a jew.

התשובה הכי טובה של כל
chonsigirl

Learning Hebrew

Post by chonsigirl »

תשובה גדולה
Shimon

Learning Hebrew

Post by Shimon »

may not be a big answer.

what I meant was that The Conversion Option is always open ,and would be a great way to learn Hebrew.

marriage is the biggest reason for Conversion .I dont think lessons in Hebrew is a valid reason (but who knows)

people have done it for stranger reasons.

I would like to see the Rabbi's face when he ask, you want to convert why?

I once had a young lady tell me she wanted to convert because she thought she has a big nose and thats why God wanted her to become Jewish

so learning Hebrew is not so bad a reason.

Return to “Judaism”