black-eyed peas ~

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
lady cop

black-eyed peas ~

Post by lady cop »

i had to shop today, and prominently displayed were canned black-eyed peas. i hate them!:yh_sick ...but i had to buy a can since my dear southern Mother always made us eat them on new year's day for luck in the coming year. a southern tradition it seems.....do you have any traditions you follow for the change of the calendar? (i was allowed to just eat a few, which is what i shall do again, but with loving thoughts of her:) )
AussiePam

black-eyed peas ~

Post by AussiePam »

Very nice, LC !!! I know Okie, who surprisingly is an Oklahoman, told me that I should eat cabbage and black eyed peas for New Year luck. Grin. In my neck of the woods, that translates as home made almond short bread, strawberries and champers at midnight. Grin.

Happy New Year, everyone!!!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

lady cop

black-eyed peas ~

Post by lady cop »

yours sounds much more appealing Pam! :yh_bigsmi
AussiePam

black-eyed peas ~

Post by AussiePam »

I can get blackeyed peas here, LC, in Italian style grocery shops. One day ..... :sneaky:

abbey

black-eyed peas ~

Post by abbey »

The first foot in should always carry a lump of coal.

In days of old people were paid to do the job.
Marie5656

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Marie5656 »

I have done the black eyed peas..though I was told you have to put a dime in when cooking them, to assure prosperity.
lady cop

black-eyed peas ~

Post by lady cop »

abbey;500726 wrote: The first foot in should always carry a lump of coal.

In days of old people were paid to do the job.i'd like to hear the origins of that....interesting!
Saffron

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Saffron »

I love black-eyed peas with mashed potatoes and corned bread and fried chicken. Relatives on my dad's side are in the deep south. And their iced tea is really good also, mostly sugar.
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
abbey

black-eyed peas ~

Post by abbey »

lady cop;500747 wrote: i'd like to hear the origins of that....interesting!

England

England celebrates the New Year from the evening of December 31st into January 1st. Traditionally it is not as widely celebrated as Christmas, but the year 2000 saw a large change. For instance people did not used to celebrate New Year with fireworks (they were reserved for Bonfire Night), but last year and this all across England people were setting off fireworks on the stroke of midnight.

More traditionally, on the stroke of midnight, people open the back door (to let the old year out) and ask the first dark haired man to be seen to come through the front door carrying salt, coal and bread. This means that the following year everyone in the house will have enough to eat (bread), enough money (salt) and be warm enough (coal).
lady cop

black-eyed peas ~

Post by lady cop »

"More traditionally, on the stroke of midnight, people open the back door (to let the old year out) and ask the first dark haired man to be seen to come through the front door carrying salt, coal and bread. This means that the following year everyone in the house will have enough to eat (bread), enough money (salt) and be warm enough (coal)"............thanks Abbey, i like that tradition!
guppy

black-eyed peas ~

Post by guppy »

i always cook black eye peas, cabbage , fried chicken and birscuits on new years day......:)
lady cop

black-eyed peas ~

Post by lady cop »

that fried chicken and biscuits sounds good!
CARLA

black-eyed peas ~

Post by CARLA »

No New Years traditions at my house ... Just a day off from work.. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

weinbeck

black-eyed peas ~

Post by weinbeck »

abbey;500776 wrote: England

England celebrates the New Year from the evening of December 31st into January 1st. Traditionally it is not as widely celebrated as Christmas, but the year 2000 saw a large change. For instance people did not used to celebrate New Year with fireworks (they were reserved for Bonfire Night), but last year and this all across England people were setting off fireworks on the stroke of midnight.

More traditionally, on the stroke of midnight, people open the back door (to let the old year out) and ask the first dark haired man to be seen to come through the front door carrying salt, coal and bread. This means that the following year everyone in the house will have enough to eat (bread), enough money (salt) and be warm enough (coal).

We ALWAYS know when midnight comes. Off go the rockets, bangers and God knows what else for about fifteen minutes. While it is technically frowned upon, where people saved a few rockets from November 5th., Homebase is now openly trying to cash in on the tradition by selling them openly over the counter. Times were, when you'd raise a glass of sherry, and wish each other a Happy New Year and that was it. New Year is a Scottish thing - to me, it's just another day. If New Year's Day fell on a week day, I'd work, seeing as it never ised to be a public holiday. Christmas Means a lot to me, but New Year's day means nothing. I went down to Trafalgar Square one year, and despite the crowds, without a girlfriend, it was the lonliest place in the world. I'd never felt so flat.
Nomad

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Nomad »

squirrel pie
I AM AWESOME MAN
AussiePam

black-eyed peas ~

Post by AussiePam »

We have Scottish neighbours in this apartment block, and will first foot. Because coal is a bit hard to come by these days we take a box of matches (just for symbolic warmth), shortbread (to meet the food requirement) and as salt is getting a bad press right now, we take a wee drap o the cratur (single malt variety) - which means something like - you can afford to drink this all year ya gotta be rich capeesh the noo!! Then we do a wee Heeland Fling to the skyirl o the pipes... as we watch the crowds milling round outside, trying to get home.. (all the streets are closed off for the fireworks, so non residents have to walk in and walk out.. :sneaky: )

lady cop

black-eyed peas ~

Post by lady cop »

the skirl of the pipes...*sigh*
AussiePam

black-eyed peas ~

Post by AussiePam »

And blokes in kilts, looking fetching and drop dead gorgeous... Ahhhhh LC - HUGS!!!!!

abbey

black-eyed peas ~

Post by abbey »

weinbeck;500823 wrote: We ALWAYS know when midnight comes. Off go the rockets, bangers and God knows what else for about fifteen minutes. While it is technically frowned upon, where people saved a few rockets from November 5th., Homebase is now openly trying to cash in on the tradition by selling them openly over the counter. Times were, when you'd raise a glass of sherry, and wish each other a Happy New Year and that was it. New Year is a Scottish thing - to me, it's just another day. If New Year's Day fell on a week day, I'd work, seeing as it never ised to be a public holiday. Christmas Means a lot to me, but New Year's day means nothing. I went down to Trafalgar Square one year, and despite the crowds, without a girlfriend, it was the lonliest place in the world. I'd never felt so flat.Hope you have a happy (and peaceful) new year.
Peg

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Peg »

lady cop;500689 wrote: i had to shop today, and prominently displayed were canned black-eyed peas. i hate them!:yh_sick ...but i had to buy a can since my dear southern Mother always made us eat them on new year's day for luck in the coming year. a southern tradition it seems.....do you have any traditions you follow for the change of the calendar? (i was allowed to just eat a few, which is what i shall do again, but with loving thoughts of her:) )
That's why you have such little luck. You must eat LOTS of black-eyed peas for LOTS of luck.:sneaky:

We have pork and sauerkraut every New Years. And I finally get to take down the Christmas tree!:D
lady cop

black-eyed peas ~

Post by lady cop »

Peg;500991 wrote: That's why you have such little luck. You must eat LOTS of black-eyed peas for LOTS of luck.:sneaky:

We have pork and sauerkraut every New Years. And I finally get to take down the Christmas tree!:Dhow many of the damn things do i have to eat?? :eek:
Nomad

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Nomad »

lady cop;500997 wrote: how many of the damn things do i have to eat?? :eek:

:wah:
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

black-eyed peas ~

Post by CARLA »

How many do you have, I'm thinking eat them all..:yh_rotfl

[QUOTE]how many of the damn things do i have to eat?? [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Gabs

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Gabs »

I love black eyed peas with cornbread.... Send yours to me LC.. I will eat them for both of us.

Tradition here in the south is Blackeyed Peas cooked with hog jowl..cabbage and turnip greens...

I love all of the above...
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
along-for-the-ride

black-eyed peas ~

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Every New Years Day, I feel kind of like I have a hang-over all day.............even after I don't party the night before and I go to bed before midnight. What's up with that?:confused:
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lulu2

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Lulu2 »

Black-eyed peas are ok, but in my family, the tradition was BEANS of any kind. So, I always have red beans/rice. In fact, they're simmering on my stove this very moment--lots of garlic, smoked turkey sausage, spices....

Anyone hungry?
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Okie

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Okie »

lady cop;500689 wrote: i had to shop today, and prominently displayed were canned black-eyed peas. i hate them!:yh_sick ...but i had to buy a can since my dear southern Mother always made us eat them on new year's day for luck in the coming year. a southern tradition it seems.....do you have any traditions you follow for the change of the calendar? (i was allowed to just eat a few, which is what i shall do again, but with loving thoughts of her:) )

Yes, we always eat black eyed peas on New Years day too for luck and cabbage for money. If my daughter was not going to eat them I would make cajun cabbage but its too hot for her. So I will just boil it and add bacon and butter. We normally go outside at the stroke of midnight and bang on a pot and yell. No one else does it here but in a movie theater we get as many kisses as we can from everyone there. First french kiss I got was at one of those midnight New Years movie.

I will make cornbread too just because I like it.
lady cop

black-eyed peas ~

Post by lady cop »

i LOVE cornbread! do you use a preheated cast-iron skillet to do it? it gives it a crispy edge. YUM!
Okie

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Okie »

weinbeck;500823 wrote: We ALWAYS know when midnight comes. Off go the rockets, bangers and God knows what else for about fifteen minutes. While it is technically frowned upon, where people saved a few rockets from November 5th., Homebase is now openly trying to cash in on the tradition by selling them openly over the counter. Times were, when you'd raise a glass of sherry, and wish each other a Happy New Year and that was it. New Year is a Scottish thing - to me, it's just another day. If New Year's Day fell on a week day, I'd work, seeing as it never ised to be a public holiday. Christmas Means a lot to me, but New Year's day means nothing. I went down to Trafalgar Square one year, and despite the crowds, without a girlfriend, it was the lonliest place in the world. I'd never felt so flat.

When I was a lad we always went to a midnight movie and at the stroke of midnight everyone rushed about getting as many kisses as they could. Made no difference if they were strangers.
Okie

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Okie »

lady cop;501596 wrote: i LOVE cornbread! do you use a preheated cast-iron skillet to do it? it gives it a crispy edge. YUM!

Oh yeah!! I love it that way. MOst the time I use just a sandwich maker and it makes little trangle shaped corn breads with lots of crust. About 6 minutes per load and makes four each load.
Okie

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Okie »

Lulu2;501313 wrote: Black-eyed peas are ok, but in my family, the tradition was BEANS of any kind. So, I always have red beans/rice. In fact, they're simmering on my stove this very moment--lots of garlic, smoked turkey sausage, spices....

Anyone hungry?

Yes I am. Are you from New Orleans originally?
Lulu2

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Lulu2 »

Not me, but a big part of my family was in N'Oluns for decades. They lived in Jefferson Parish, a long time ago....guess it's all gone now.

And I agree....a blazing cast-iron skillet is the ONLY way to make cornbread! Biscuits, too.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Okie

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Okie »

lady cop;501596 wrote: i LOVE cornbread! do you use a preheated cast-iron skillet to do it? it gives it a crispy edge. YUM!

I do love it with heavy crust. Mom used to make it that way and my wife never did. After she left I did make it that way myself. Usually I fry a bit of corn in the skillet and pur that in the batter and then heat the skillet in the oven. I love heavy crust.
lady cop

black-eyed peas ~

Post by lady cop »

when i was 10 the only thing i knew how to make was biscuits, that was before i was tossed out of home-ec class for being hopeless:D .....so my Dad always asked me to do biscuits for breakfast. :) i did graduate to scones. LOL
Okie

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Okie »

lady cop;501606 wrote: when i was 10 the only thing i knew how to make was biscuits, that was before i was tossed out of home-ec class for being hopeless:D .....so my Dad always asked me to do biscuits for breakfast. :) i did graduate to scones. LOL

Some day I gotta get a scone. I have only heard about them.
Accountable

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Accountable »

Tradition, huh? All this time I thought I was just eatin' supper.
along-for-the-ride

black-eyed peas ~

Post by along-for-the-ride »

along-for-the-ride;501310 wrote: Every New Years Day, I feel kind of like I have a hang-over all day.............even after I don't party the night before and I go to bed before midnight. What's up with that?:confused:

Happy New Years, everyone! We eased into the new year last night.

Today I am barbequeing a Boston Butt,serving with mash potatoes, black-eyed peas, collard greens, creamed corn and bisquits.

It's drizzling outside and cloudy. Glad to be cozy inside and have the day off from work.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Marie5656

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Marie5656 »

We will be having a smoked turkey today. I will be putting it in the oven soon, to heat through.

I was going to get some black eyed peas, but forgot..and am too lazy to go to the store to get some.
Lulu2

black-eyed peas ~

Post by Lulu2 »

I'm on the second helping of red beans/rice. Anyone want to spend some time near me?

I didn't think so! :sneaky:
DesignerGal

black-eyed peas ~

Post by DesignerGal »

I just had pork sausage and sauerkraut. Tonight for dinner I will have collard greens, black eyed peas and pork chops. The butcher didnt have any hog jowls.:-1

HBIC

Return to “General Chit Chat”