On sharks

lady cop

On sharks

Post by lady cop »

you may like this thread....and i'm like you, use some common sense as a diver or swimmer...i take U/W pics and am always glad to see one....Shark Attack Files ~~~~~ ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

lady cop

lady cop

On sharks

Post by lady cop »

also, as you know, they want to recover any human remains inside the shark.
lady cop

On sharks

Post by lady cop »

Diuretic;474389 wrote: LC that hadn't occurred to me and it's a fair point. Yes, each situation should be treated on its merits, fair enough.

However in this instance the kid is not going to benefit from having his mangled leg returned to him, or so it seems to me at least.i agree, it's more in the instances of fatalities, for the families.
LilacDragon

On sharks

Post by LilacDragon »

They are searching for an unknown type of shark!?!

Seems to me that if you are going out looking for a killer shark you ought to at least know what exactly you are looking for.
Sandi

lady cop

On sharks

Post by lady cop »

LilacDragon;474427 wrote: They are searching for an unknown type of shark!?!

Seems to me that if you are going out looking for a killer shark you ought to at least know what exactly you are looking for.being australian waters, probably a great white. could also be a bull. but historically it's whites. they will be able to tell a lot from the bite marks.
venus

On sharks

Post by venus »

Wendybird;474467 wrote: I have never agreed with the adage of hunting down a shark because it has bitten someone. Sharks do not eat humans. They normally mistake them for one of their natural food sources eg: a seal.

If a human went into a tank full of sharks we would blame the human for getting bitten.

The sea is just bigger shark tank! We go in the water willingly. We know the risks.

I agree with you there wendy. We humans do it all the time enter the terrotority of another animal and take it as our own then kill em off in many ways so we can feel safe!!
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
cars

On sharks

Post by cars »

LilacDragon;474427 wrote: They are searching for an unknown type of shark!?!

Seems to me that if you are going out looking for a killer shark you ought to at least know what exactly you are looking for.

It's the one with the "Dorsal Fin" stiking out of the water! :p (What a waste)
Cars :)
lady cop

On sharks

Post by lady cop »

Diuretic;475283 wrote: The latest reports are that the authorities think they have identified the shark but they aren't going to hunt and kill it unless it becomes a danger to humans and I think that's fair enough.
so what does that take? a fatality? taking a leg gets a pass?...i have mixed feelings here. i hate to see extinction of an apex predator, which IS happening. on the other hand, there is the old 'myth' of the 'rogue' shark who attacks humans because they are easy and the food supply is diminished. i am not sure it's a myth in some instances. it's like tigers in india that attack and yes, eat people. maybe there is no other game and we have encroached upon their habitat.
lady cop

On sharks

Post by lady cop »

i highly recommend this book for an understanding of the sharks....but i am sorry, i place human life first......Amazon.com: The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and ...Amazon.com: The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks: Books: Susan Casey by Susan Casey.
insanity_clause

On sharks

Post by insanity_clause »

sharks like most predators will attack what prey is available and easiest. its common for sharks to attack prey then wait for the prey to die to avoid injury from a struggling animal. i suspect that when humans are attacked then left this is what they are doing.
insanity_clause

On sharks

Post by insanity_clause »

i actually have a bit of a phobia about sharks so i dont ever want to see one close up.
RedGlitter

On sharks

Post by RedGlitter »

Magenta Flame, nothing wrong with Peta. :)

Scrat, one of your funniest posts about the "stupid kid." I heartily agree. Don't wanna get eaten? Stay outta the sharks' home!

It's the same thing as when supposedly intelligent humans kill dogs for biting kids. It's a triple fold: first they think they must avenge the bite for how dare a dog bite a human; then they mistakenly promote that myth of "bloodthirst." The third kneejerk is that "it's a KID!" Everyone knows that kids are somehow holy beings and must be put before all common sense. Even if the kid deserved what he got.
Accountable

On sharks

Post by Accountable »

RedGlitter;475409 wrote: Magenta Flame, nothing wrong with Peta. :)

Scrat, one of your funniest posts about the "stupid kid." I heartily agree. Don't wanna get eaten? Stay outta the sharks' home!

It's the same thing as when supposedly intelligent humans kill dogs for biting kids. It's a triple fold: first they think they must avenge the bite for how dare a dog bite a human; then they mistakenly promote that myth of "bloodthirst." The third kneejerk is that "it's a KID!" Everyone knows that kids are somehow holy beings and must be put before all common sense. Even if the kid deserved what he got.
Children should be put first. They are our future.
RedGlitter

On sharks

Post by RedGlitter »

Accountable, it's a charming platitude but it's not accurate. Without adults to guide those kids and make money to buy them food, clothing, shelter, education, medical care, etc etc, that kid has no future. Adults are what makes the future possible for children, not the other way around.
sunny104

On sharks

Post by sunny104 »

RedGlitter;475409 wrote: Magenta Flame, nothing wrong with Peta. :)

I find that totally offensive. NO kid deserves to be hurt in any way, ever! :mad:

do you think you could show a little common courtesy to those of us who are parents and chill on the kid bashing?
Lulu2

On sharks

Post by Lulu2 »

Agreed, Glitter...there IS a lot of good to be said for PETA!

It's as ludicrous to go on a "shark hunt" to "eradicate a man-eater" as it is to eliminate tigers, alligators or crocodiles! Animals eat--it's the natural way of life. If we insist on getting into harm's way, we must expect we'll become prey.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Saffron

On sharks

Post by Saffron »

Oooooo this is too scary!!!
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
lady cop

On sharks

Post by lady cop »

Diuretic;476895 wrote: Sorry I have to add this. Today (nice warm afternoon) a 5 metre (15 foot) White Pointer (Great White) was seen off one of our southern beaches. It was about 20 m (60 feet) off the beach. No swimmers in the vicinity. What should happen? Should we depth-charge it before it gets anyone? Pointless. There'll be another one along soon if we dispatch that one.of course there is no reason to kill that animal in it's own home. but i wouldn't let my kid go swimming there. again, it's all about common sense. i know a woman who was spearfishing in caribbean waters, and had her hand taken off by a gray reef shark. because she did not use a catch bag and had the bloody struggling fish she had speared in her hand.....essentially ringing the dinner bell.
lady cop

On sharks

Post by lady cop »

i remember his story well.
sunny104

On sharks

Post by sunny104 »

Scrat;476699 wrote: Don't get your knickers in a bunch.

It's this shallow mamby pamby kind of thinking that has gotten us kids that don't care to learn, kids that attack teachers in school and carry guns around on the streets at night and sometimes dying for it.

Here in Seattle a 20 something shot a deputy twice in the head then was shot to death in turn by other deputies. Seems he had nothing to lose since he shot a man in the head about 4 hours before and one at the party he was at when the deputies arrived.

HE HAS A POLICE RECORD GOING BACK TO 1997!!! his career in crime started at the age of 14.

Maybe if he had had someone to smack him around when needed this would have never happened.

And yes, at this point in time he deserved what he got. The dangers of swimming in the ocean are well documented and I am sad for the boy, I do not think he deserved to get bitten but it should not be such a shocking episode.

People need to teach their kids to make good decisions, not molly coddle them for christs sake.

If you love your kids, smack them when they need it.

Hey a$$hole, my comment had nothing to do with discipline. This thread has nothing to do with discipline. Don't invent stuff just so you can try and turn it around to attack me with again.

It was specifically directed at the comments the above poster has made a few times that if a kid is "stupid" enough to get bitten by an animal then they "deserve" it. That I do find offensive but that had nothing to do with you.

I had hoped you had gotten the hint from the last time but obvioulsy not so I'll ask again, will you please leave me the f**k alone.
zinkyusa

On sharks

Post by zinkyusa »

I have two boys and they have both been taught to love and respect animals and they both do. They would never intentionally harm an animal if at all possible to avoid the harm, nor would I. Having said that if any animal under any cirmumstances attempts to harm my boys I will stop it by any means necessary including lethal force and I don't care who was at fault, who invaded who's space etc..There is not always time to think about those things. I think sunny is thinking about what would happen if were her kids and I empathize with her. There is no comparison possible for a parent between the lives of our kids and that of animal. The animal loses if a choice must be made.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
guppy

On sharks

Post by guppy »

this reminds me of last summer when me and a friend were out at the beach on the gulf. we watched three teenagers wade way out in the water and start fishing. one of the boys was hooking the fish to a string on his belt. after awhile sherri noticed a five foot shadow circling the boys. we sat there and watched this shark circle them for over an hour. when the boys turned around to come back, they saw the shark. the boy with the fish let it go. two seconds later it got ate. ......we watched in horror as they made their way back to shore with the shark constantly swimming in between them and the land........since we are both rns. we sat there talking about who would do what if one of them got attacked.......
Lulu2

On sharks

Post by Lulu2 »

Why does it so often come down to "my child vs. the animals?"

It's silly, really. How often does that really happen?

MOST people understand that we'll do whatever's necessary at the time to save our child and our animal companions.

Most people understand that animals are as important as humans, when we can save them. MOST people understnd that animals are as important as we are, given the choice.

MOST people understand that it's not an "us or them" decision...
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
RedGlitter

On sharks

Post by RedGlitter »

I wonder that too, Lulu. Almost every thread you and I have been in regarding animals comes down to that. There is always someone who will throw in the human element. Always. I think it might be that people who feel that way feel threatened by our viewpoint. As if by having it, we're somehow a cause for danger. There's room for everyone.

Return to “Current Events”