Any Other Athests?

Hawke

Any Other Athests?

Post by Hawke »

Well...I believe in some form of creationary 'force' - matter dosen't spontaneously generate itself. Whether that force is a 'god' or other supreme being, I don't know. Other than that, I do not follow any specific religions. Heck, as an anthropologist I've studied far too many religions for me to declare that any one of them is the 'correct' one.
abbey

Any Other Athests?

Post by abbey »

Jack Sprat wrote: Just curious... am I the only atheist on FG? I love being unique, but like some companionship. :)
Sorry to say it Jack but you're not unique, i'm an Atheist.

Dad's a Catholic, Mums Atheist & did'nt have any of her children christened as she thought we should chose our own path to go down.

No disrespect to the other gardeners, but please don't try to convert me, thanks.
greydeadhead

Any Other Athests?

Post by greydeadhead »

well.. not an Atheist per se.. but I don't really practice a religion.. I do believe that we go somewhere after we leave this plane .. just not quite sure where..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
CVX

Any Other Athests?

Post by CVX »

I think there are a bunch of closet christians here and a bunch of closet (maybe not?!) athiests. I can't figure out how a person can go through life and not believe in anything other than humanism. That would leave me with an empty pot for a soul.
Paula

Any Other Athests?

Post by Paula »

I cannot comment on the Thread or the Member. I have to been pleasant, although i have to say i am a viewer of The Atheists View-Point, it is on Public Television on Friday afternoon 3-4, a time no-one is watching, i find it to be hilarious and their points are meaningful? check it out, they really have some good points. Religion as a whole is discussed, as they tear it away?
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
gmc

Any Other Athests?

Post by gmc »

Put me as an agnostic, with the emphasis on the undecided bit and a tendency towards humanism.

posted by cvx

I think there are a bunch of closet christians here and a bunch of closet (maybe not?!) athiests. I can't figure out how a person can go through life and not believe in anything other than humanism. That would leave me with an empty pot for a soul.

So you think you have a soul?

Can never understand how some people can call atheism a religon when it quite clearly cannot be.
CVX

Any Other Athests?

Post by CVX »

gmc wrote: Put me as an agnostic, with the emphasis on the undecided bit and a tendency towards humanism.

Can never understand how some people can call atheism a religon when it quite clearly cannot be.

A soul? Yes.
A Karenina

Any Other Athests?

Post by A Karenina »

CVX wrote: I can't figure out how a person can go through life and not believe in anything other than humanism. That would leave me with an empty pot for a soul.
I guess it's a question of environment or comfort more than anything else. That's a weird statement, I suppose. But, some people are happier in an organized group, some are happier being focused on humanity in general, some can't bear to think about things in terms of a god, and so on.

In the end, I don't think it's how we find our soul that matters so much. It's what we do about our souls.

In the conflict between grace and works, which one is more important?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

I am presently trying to read, my eyesight you know, two books, actually about 4.

One is a book on quantum physics and the other is called "Quantum Theology" by Diarmuid O'Murchu. It is interesting to note that the circle is closing. Before the reformation and the renaissance they talked about the three great sciences of religion, science and philosophy. It would appear that quantum physics has now come back to the same point of Theology, Science and Philosophy.

No desire to try to convert anyone. We must each choose our own path but those claiming atheism might want to have a look at both quantum physics and the above mentioned book. It raises many questions that science does not believe can be answered.

Shalom

Ted :-6
A Karenina

Any Other Athests?

Post by A Karenina »

Ted wrote: One is a book on quantum physics and the other is called "Quantum Theology" by Diarmuid O'Murchu. It is interesting to note that the circle is closing. Before the reformation and the renaissance they talked about the three great sciences of religion, science and philosophy. It would appear that quantum physics has now come back to the same point of Theology, Science and Philosophy.
Ted, is that similar to Quantum Math as well? I have a wonderful friend at work who shares your reading tastes. (I like the subject but don't have the brain capacity for it, quite frankly!)

Anyway, put into simple terms that I can understand, his reading has led him to believe that all energy is inter-related, and that most of it comes from human emotion. Or something like that. Adding to that, he says that the way to fight evil is simply by being good people. That we project our own reality through our thought process. (We are what we think. What we think will happen, happens.)

That's a simplistic nutshell version, and he did go on about elevating planes through understanding, calmness, acceptance, etc...but is it the same ideas? Thanks :)

Ted wrote: No desire to try to convert anyone. We must each choose our own path but those claiming atheism might want to have a look at both quantum physics and the above mentioned book. It raises many questions that science does not believe can be answered.
Does it come in a "for Dummies" version? :D I'd really like to read it, seriously.

Aristotle
Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

Karanena :-6

To my knowledge it does not come in the "For Dummies" edition.

"Our problem now is that we consider the primare=y reality to be w=that which has ensued from our reductionistic exploits. And this is beginning to prove deeply dissatisfying to the human spirit. Intuitvely we know there is so much more to understand and experience." p29

A quote from inside the cover. "The picture of reality coming to us from contemporary science is so attractive to theology that we would be fools not tu us it . . . Sallie McFague a feminist theologican and scholar.

In some cases they are begining to talk about a life force not unlike the oriental "Chi" or the source of life? I find that rather interesting. What I have found as a committed Christian Pluralist is that all I read continues to support what I have come to believe. Could I be wrong? You bet. I don't believe so but neither do I believe I have a handle on the whole truth. That would be nice. LOL

Shalom

Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

I know nothing of quantum math. It's a trying read to get quantum theory straight. LOL :)

Shalom

A Karenina

Any Other Athests?

Post by A Karenina »

I don't even know what quantum means, so already you're way ahead of me. LOL

Thanks for the quote, though. I just have to look up "reductionistic" and figure out what is meant by reductionistic exploits.

Ted, you rock. :-6

Aristotle
Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

My goal in posting what I have learned is not that folks will come to believe as I do but to think sincerely about what is being said and to broaden ones mind. Anyone who takes the attitutde they know everthing they need to is sadly disillusioned. There is so much of interest to learn. The more you learn the more you will realize there is to learn and how little each of us really knows.

Shalom

A Karenina

Any Other Athests?

Post by A Karenina »

Ted wrote: My goal in posting what I have learned is not that folks will come to believe as I do but to think sincerely about what is being said and to broaden ones mind. Anyone who takes the attitutde they know everthing they need to is sadly disillusioned. There is so much of interest to learn. The more you learn the more you will realize there is to learn and how little each of us really knows.

Shalom

Ted, you have just defined what is so beautiful about you. The joy in learning, the acceptance of each person needing to find their own path, the rewards they will feel inside from that path, and a simple, lovely gentleness about it all.

Plus, you're damned interesting to read! I really enjoy the new things I find in your posts, and I most especially appreciate when you reference your sources of knowledge/inspiration so that we can all follow or not as we choose.

I am being overly emotional (sappy, LOL) so I obviously need a nap! Have an awesome night, and keep talking. I think we all enjoy your posts. :)

Aristotle
Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

Karenina :-6

Einstein defined a quanta as the single burst of a bundle of light energy. In other words light does not come as a stream or wave but as one bust of energy after another.

Reductionism is the scientific idea that all things can eventually be reduced to their basic parts and thus studied and understood. This theorum no longer holds at the quantum level. In fact it is now raising questions about the actual phenomena of reality. Really neat stuff

Shalom

Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

Karenina :-6

I haven't referenced all that I could as I didn't know anyone was interested. I will do more so in the future.

Shalom

Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

Some folks claim to be atheists. I'm not looking for any debate here but sometimes I wonder what they are against. Is it the God as presented by the literalist/fundamentalists? If so I to am opposed to that view of God.

Shalom

gmc

Any Other Athests?

Post by gmc »

Ted

Some folks claim to be atheists. I'm not looking for any debate here but sometimes I wonder what they are against. Is it the God as presented by the literalist/fundamentalists? If so I to am opposed to that view of God.

You have me confused here. An atheist doesn't believe god exists it's not a view of god they are against they don't believe there is such a thing in the first place.

The issue is not the nature of god it's do you believe in such a thing yes/no. If you believe in god you can argue about his or nature, if you don't then the debate cannot take place.
koan

Any Other Athests?

Post by koan »

One of the best debates I ever had was between myself, a friend (both of us different minded spiritualists) and an atheist. The debate lasted for about three hours and was the most polite and intelligent arguement I have yet to enjoy. So I would say that athiests can indeed debate.

The athiest approach was mainly that of I don't believe that which can't be proven and that to believe in a God force was giving away the personal power of shaping one's own life. There is room for debate on both these points. Atheism does not necessarily have to be linked with scientific thought. I do believe that a belief in no supreme being also takes a leap of faith. To me, there is so much proof in a Source that I find athiesm to be rather blind. But I certainly understand how athiests could say the same about me. I consider it a religion because there is a belief system or analysis of reality and/or purpose involved.( Even if the resulting decision is molecular and nothing respectively.)
Paula

Any Other Athests?

Post by Paula »

As I mentioned earlier, The Atheists View Point will be on today @ 4:30 on CPTV-14, they really are interesting.
Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

Paula :-6

I simply asked that question because in my academic career I met many who claimed to be atheist until the debate about a definition of God came up and then they weren't sure anymore.

Shalom

anastrophe

Any Other Athests?

Post by anastrophe »

Creator: a comedian whose audience is afraid to laugh.

-H.L. Mencken

I do not believe in God. I believe in cashmere.

-Fran Lebowitz

If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.

-Thomas Szasz

He seems to have an inordinate fondness for beetles.

-J.B.S. Haldane

God is Love, but get it in writing.

-Gypsy Rose Lee

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
Paula

Any Other Athests?

Post by Paula »

Ted, you are an intelligent person. I feel the Atheist View Point is just as entertaining as Howard Stern to others. I didn't hear enough today, too late turning it on. When i learn more than i can be of interest debating you. Every-one has their own ideas, there has to be a reason why i like it? I learn every day about myself, as i am a product of canadian Indian & immigrants from Europe. I have a background of sincerity and hard work ethics. I am mad when people use god as a tool to gain. It is now to vast of an organization to believe what is correct, who do you believe?
Paula

Any Other Athests?

Post by Paula »

anastrophe wrote: Creator: a comedian whose audience is afraid to laugh.

-H.L. Mencken

I do not believe in God. I believe in cashmere.

-Fran Lebowitz

If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.

-Thomas Szasz

He seems to have an inordinate fondness for beetles.

-J.B.S. Haldane

God is Love, but get it in writing.

-Gypsy Rose Lee

You have been waiting for this; as soon as i know where you are coming from, i can then understand. Assist me to comprehend what you are trying to say? Or are you giving me medicine "you" think i need. Please explain...! The headmaster is now giving me a test?
Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

Who do you believe? Paula having spent some 40 or more years doing research both formally and informally I have come to believe what my heart tells me and what my experiences tell me. What more can I say.

I accept all folks as they are, regardless of faith or no faith. We must each walk our own path. We must each make our own choices.

For some 2000 years folks numbering in the millions have had the experiential reality of the Risen Lord or God if you will. I include myself in the group. I have no desire to debate the existence or non-existence of God with anyone. First of all I do not believe in the "existence" of God. That may sound strange but I believe in and accept the reality of God. I believe that God is beyond existence.

Now I have had the experience of God and of the Risen Lord. I have had those trying to explain to me what I have experienced. I do not buy that. You see it was my experience not theirs and when someone tries to tell me what I've experienced I can only smile and laugh. How dare anyone tell me what I have experienced.

I also believe that folks in other cultures have had similar experiences. I cannot and will not judge them. They were not my experiences. I accept other faiths as valid expressions of man's response to the Divine.

To try to put it concisely I have based my beliefs on approximately nine years at university in formal study plus many years of informal study. I have learned to translate and interpret both the Hebrew texts and the Ancient Greek texts. I have had extensive study in logic and epistemology. Much study, prayer, discussion with scholars, reading of well recognized scholarly works, meditation, training in research methodology and my own personal experiences have led me to where I am. This may be meaningless to you but I know what I know. I also know that the more we learn and the longer we study the more we realize how much there is to learn and how little we really know.

It is an intersting side though but I have recently been reading and studying something of quantum physics. It has shown me that traditional science can only go so far. Quantum science has left the traditional science far behind and it has added to my own beliefs.

Sorry to have wandered so far. But there is a quote from the Bible which I am not prone to quoting in here and it says "seek and ye shall find".

You are on your jouney and there are speed bumps on the way. But you will meet some very interesting folks along the way and some of them may be able to guide you in the way you should proceed. I am but one of those. All I can do is answer questions as I see them and point you in one or another directions but it is you who must ultimately seek and find.

Shalom

Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

Actually Paula I've said how little I really know and how much more there is to learn. I am also a happpily married man with a very loving wife.

All I have said is where I am at on my path. I cannot tell others what they should or shouldn't do. If I am asked questions in an area that I have some knowledge I will gladly answer them to the best of my ability.

All that I can hope to do is leave this world a little better then when I entered it.

Shalom

Paula

Any Other Athests?

Post by Paula »

I understand, Thank You, Ted... :-6
A Karenina

Any Other Athests?

Post by A Karenina »

anastrophe wrote: He seems to have an inordinate fondness for beetles.

-J.B.S. Haldane

:wah: They were all funny, but this one is my favorite.

Aristotle
gmc

Any Other Athests?

Post by gmc »

posted by ted

I simply asked that question because in my academic career I met many who claimed to be atheist until the debate about a definition of God came up and then they weren't sure anymore.

The key phrase is claimed to be. If you don't believe in god then you can't come up with a definition for him because there is no such thing. But if you want to talk about it then you have to agree on definition about which you can debate which if you don't believe in god is a bit difficult since there is no such thing.

On the other hand you can talk about fantasy figures-or even characters from soaps as if they were real and discuss their characteristics. But if you do do that with god then those who believe in god turn round and say aha! you are not really an atheist because you are talking about the nature of god which you wouldn't be able to do if you didn't really believe in him/her in the first place therefore you must really believe in god but you won't admit it.

So you use the analogy of Peter Pan. You believe in the reality of Peter Pan. (alice in wonderland take your pick). I don't, he is an imaginary being. You believe I don't end of discussion.

If on the other hand the decision is taken to come up with a definition of peter pan, (around which imaginary character a whole systen of belief has grown to the extent that people have had wars over the difference and even wantonly slaughter those who don't believe in quite the right way) so that you can disprove or prove the existence if peter pan suddenly that becomes aha! so you do believe he exists otherwise you would not be able to.

You can neither prove or disprove it is a leap of faith or not as the case may be. I agree with Koan on that one, You either believe in god or you do not.

posted by ted

Now I have had the experience of God and of the Risen Lord. I have had those trying to explain to me what I have experienced. I do not buy that. You see it was my experience not theirs and when someone tries to tell me what I've experienced I can only smile and laugh. How dare anyone tell me what I have experienced.

I wish you well. I have also had the the "you will have had such an experience but probably did not recognise it for what it was" type of thing said to me. I too only smile and laugh.

posted by Koan

The athiest approach was mainly that of I don't believe that which can't be proven and that to believe in a God force was giving away the personal power of shaping one's own life.

You can have great fun with that one can't you, the only certainty you can have in life is that you exist all else follows from that. To quote rene descartes "cogito ergo sum" I think therfore I am.

(I think therefore I am, I think, moody blues)

posted by TED

To try to put it concisely I have based my beliefs on approximately nine years at university in formal study plus many years of informal study. I have learned to translate and interpret both the Hebrew texts and the Ancient Greek texts. I have had extensive study in logic and epistemology. Much study, prayer, discussion with scholars, reading of well recognized scholarly works, meditation, training in research methodology and my own personal experiences have led me to where I am. This may be meaningless to you but I know what I know. I also know that the more we learn and the longer we study the more we realize how much there is to learn and how little we really know.

It's a very personal journey is it not? I find myself wary of discoursing with many religious people, I can respect their view but too many feel compelled to try and shove their belief down your throat and by god you'd better listen.

I'll use another example. I had Jehovah's Witnesses at my door today, usual approach "How do you think god feels about all the suffering in the world today?"

Being polite I actually made my excuses and shut the door. What I was tempted to say was he's either very pleased with himself, he's feeling guilty or he's falling about laughing. because if god made man he is responsible. Yes we have free will but he gave it to us so he could make us suffer, so he could watch the fun, or some deeper purpose we can have wars about trying to decide who is right. But then you start debating the nature of god which if you are an atheist is a bit pointless but pleases the JH's because they think you have conceded that god exists.

With Mormans whose usual approach is "do you believe in god" I am always tempted to say no I believe in the cosmic comedian, life's a joke we just don't know the punchline.

Then again humour is oftentimes inappropriate. So if I have offended anyone I apologise.
Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

gmc :-6

If you have read my posts you will realiz I am not interested in pushing my beliefs down anyones throat.

You are correct it is a very personal journey and I have said that I respect everyones journey. We meet some interesting characters along the way. If folks want to ask me a question I will answer to the best of my ability. also realizing that ultimately none of us really knows very much at all and the more we learn the more we realize there is to learn.

I was asked a question and I answered it to the best of my ability. I do hope you do not object to me answering a question.

Shalom

:-6
weeder

Any Other Athests?

Post by weeder »

There seems to be a little confusion.. Regarding Atheist and Agnostic. Atheist is not believing in God, If I understand correctly. Agnostic is not believing in Religion.

I do not believe in formal religion. I do believe in God. He has spoken quite clearly to my heart a number of times. If a person does not have the audio equipment to hear, then he will never be heard. And so the mind of an Atheist cannott be changed. I also was raised Catholic. The fact that the religion was so dissapointing, so based in man made doctrine, so uncomforting, and so blatently

political is the reason I was inclined to go on a spiritual quest for many years of my life. My beliefs are basically Buddhist , although I do not practice it as a religion

I do try to live by the basic Doctrine. I know that I could never have a long term

relationship with anyone who entertains no notion of some kind of God.. Spiritual

energy force or something. Impossible. Too cold, Too empty, Too frightening of a

concept for me to be faced with daily.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

Weeder :-6

I can truly appreciate your position. Good luck on your path.

Shalom

koan

Any Other Athests?

Post by koan »

I've quoted it before but it belongs here so here it is again.

"Neitszche is dead."

--God

:wah:

Believe or not believing is irrelevant to fulfilling what we are here to do. Don't believe we have a purpose? Why bother getting out of bed? Since most of us do get out of bed I perhaps wrongly assume there is a purpose. What we choose to do with our time and whether we are good people or not has nothing to do with how we worship or don't. I think being Athiest is much healthier than being a self righteous preacher but I tend to find the concept rather sad. It makes me happier to believe and so I do.
gmc

Any Other Athests?

Post by gmc »

posted by ted

If you have read my posts you will realiz I am not interested in pushing my beliefs down anyones throat.

I do, it was a general comment.

posted by weeder

There seems to be a little confusion.. Regarding Atheist and Agnostic. Atheist is not believing in God, If I understand correctly. Agnostic is not believing in Religion.

I do not believe in formal religion.

thought some definitions might help.

atheism // n.

the theory or belief that God does not exist.

atheist n.

atheistic // adj.

atheistical // adj.

[French athéisme from Greek atheos ‘without God’ (as a-1 + theos ‘god’)]

gnostic // adj. & n.

adj.

1 relating to knowledge, esp. esoteric mystical knowledge.

2 (Gnostic) concerning the Gnostics; occult; mystic.

n. (Gnostic) (usu. in pl.) a Christian heretic of the 1st–3rd c. claiming gnosis.

Gnosticism // n.

gnosticize // v.tr. & intr. (also -ise).

[ecclesiastical Latin gnosticus from Greek gnostikos (as gnosis)]

agnostic // n. & adj.

n.

1 a person who believes that nothing is known, or can be known, of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena.

2 a person who is uncertain or non-committal about a certain thing.

adj. of or relating to agnostics or agnosticism.

agnosticism //

Personally i prefer the non-committal bit. otherwise its you believe in god but not religon which is again means you believe god exists.

god // n.

1 a (in many religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature, human fortunes, etc.; a deity. b an image, idol, animal, or other object worshipped as divine or symbolizing a god.

2 (God) (in Christian and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe; the supreme being.

Curses again you are talking about the nature of god which, to use earlier point, many religious people take to mean you believe in god otherwise you wouldn't be able to conceive it.

In a way the belief in a supreme overbeing is as absurd as a belief in absolutely nothing. Militant atheists are just as bad as militant religons.
Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

gmc :-6

We can certainly agree on that last point.

Shalom

gmc

Any Other Athests?

Post by gmc »

posted by ted

We can certainly agree on that last point.

amen to that:D

I too spent several years in formal study but not to the extent of learning the ancient languages, for which much respect, prefering wide reading in history sociology politics etc and came to the concluscion I couldn't come to a concluscion.

A belief in god (as per the dictionary definition) is a very personal thing, I simply don't believe it. I don't believe there is nothing either, i just don't know what. I have learned to be very circumspect in talking to religious people as many have a frenetic desire to get you to see things their way-it's almost as if they don't want to think about their belief in case they find they don't have any on close examination. On the other hand I have met many who had an unshakeable belief no matter who or what happened to them and who would cheerfully agree to disagree. They are serene in their belief no matter what.

The former I have little time for as they are the book burners and the ones you could just see setting fire to a heretic.

I find atheists are often of the same type (different beliefs of course) the ones who would ban all teaching of religon and those who would let others make up their own mind. Fundamentalists of any kind are very unappealing. I am sure it is adeep character flaw.

Those christians who have a fundamentalist belief in the bible as the unchanged word of god I just cannot understand as i find that idea ridiculous and do not see how not believing that makes you less of a christian. The only time I have been physically attacked as an adult is by a fundamentalist ( no damage done to either party but only because I am quite capable of handling myself) when I expressed such an opinion. I consider then dangerous as given half a chance they would make life for all those who disagree with them unbearable, just as i consider islamic fundamentalists dangerous and for the same reason.

I realise i may be being controversial here, hopefully not offensive. There is no point using a forum like this if you cannot discourse with people who see the world differently from you. tis no fun otherwise.

I spell i type it is the two together that is difficult. Any spelling mistakes are due to my crap typing and it being late at night now i can't be bothered checking.
valerie

Any Other Athests?

Post by valerie »

weeder wrote: There seems to be a little confusion.. Regarding Atheist and Agnostic. Atheist is not believing in God, If I understand correctly. Agnostic is not believing in Religion.

I do not believe in formal religion. I do believe in God. He has spoken quite clearly to my heart a number of times. If a person does not have the audio equipment to hear, then he will never be heard. And so the mind of an Atheist cannott be changed. I also was raised Catholic. The fact that the religion was so dissapointing, so based in man made doctrine, so uncomforting, and so blatently

political is the reason I was inclined to go on a spiritual quest for many years of my life. My beliefs are basically Buddhist , although I do not practice it as a religion

I do try to live by the basic Doctrine. I know that I could never have a long term

relationship with anyone who entertains no notion of some kind of God.. Spiritual

energy force or something. Impossible. Too cold, Too empty, Too frightening of a

concept for me to be faced with daily.

The way I've always understood it is that agnostics "neither confirm nor deny

the existence of God".

I am an agnostic. One who celebrates Chirstmas, more as a "Peace on Earth"

and "Goodwill Toward Men" thing. I was raised in a household where we

didn't do much about "religion" per se, horse shows were always on Sundays

and we were always busy with that. My mom is of Jewish descent, which

means I am... but my grandmother sent her to Catholic parochial school

because she was very afraid and didn't want anyone to know they were

Jewish.

When I was in college, I had a roomate who was Catholic and every so often

she'd ask me if I wanted to go to church with her. It was usually late at night

for a break from a long study session. She was the kind of person who didn't

try ever to push her beliefs onto me. Well, I went to her church and I have

to say, it was the most beautiful, peaceful experience. I don't know about

Catholic churches now but 30 some years ago, you didn't have to go at set

times, you could just go in, they weren't locked. Beautiful stained glass, lots

of dark, rich woodwork, candles, and incense. My friend prayed and I just

sat there quietly.

There are a lot of things I do wish I knew more about, but the tendency

with me is to stay away from learning about them because of fear of the

kind of people I might have to talk to in order to learn. But maybe some

day.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

weeder

Any Other Athests?

Post by weeder »

Its true Catholic Churches were opened for prayer and reflection 24 hours a day 30 years ago.It stopped after acouple of rapes that took place in churches. The candles and the stained glass windows, and the dark are very peaceful. You can capture that same feeling in many other places. All of my friends were Jewish when I was growing up. I was often flattered to be invited to Sadas at their homes. I still have very good friends back home in New York who are Jewish.

The only way to learn about yourself and about life ...is to speak with people who know something different than you. Of course their is always reading. But that is a solitary experience, and not quite the same as interacting with other human beings. Dont be afraid, you will learn how to discern those people whom you are comfortable, and who you are not. Meeting people, being included in their traditions and rituals, socializing with other cultures has been one of the greatest joys of my life. I also strongly believe that that experience is the reason we are on this earth. To practice compassion,tolerence,sharing and learned wisdom.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Ted

Any Other Athests?

Post by Ted »

weeder :-6

An excellent post with some very good advice and suggestions.

Shalom

capt_buzzard

Any Other Athests?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Seular Humanist. Its the best bet. Stay away from Religion. It has caused so much

ills and wars in the world. All in the name of some God.
BabyRider

Any Other Athests?

Post by BabyRider »

I really like what weeder had to say here. I was raised in a religion, (nope, I'm not gonna say which one) and I am now agnostic. There are too many holes in EVERY religion I have had any experience with and each one seems to think they are better than others for some reason or another.

To me, religion is a man-made institution, therefore inherently flawed. Thousands of years ago humans worshipped the sun, because they didn't understand it, they worshipped the moon, because they didn't understand it, they worshipped anything that was mysterious to them. And now that we understand so much more, the one thing left we don't understand is death. So we (or they) have to have something to believe in. It (religion) is a comfort for many people, but in my humble opinion, you just have to live as best you can. Be a good person, as cliche and corny as that sounds. I believe there will be some kind of "reckoning", but the form it will take or the being who will govern it is not something I could even begin to guess at.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Mickiel

Any Other Athests?

Post by Mickiel »

gmc;14276 wrote: Put me as an agnostic, with the emphasis on the undecided bit and a tendency towards humanism.

I can remember when FG did not have that many Atheist, that has now changed;

And so did gmc.
LarsMac

Any Other Athests?

Post by LarsMac »

Mickiel;1446224 wrote: I can remember when FG did not have that many Atheist, that has now changed;

And so did gmc.

Given that the last post on this thread was a few years before you joined, I am doubtful of your statement.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Mickiel

Any Other Athests?

Post by Mickiel »

LarsMac;1446226 wrote: Given that the last post on this thread was a few years before you joined, I am doubtful of your statement.

Your doubt is noted but the facts are as they are, having nothing to do with when I joined. The dynamic has changed; Atheist were drawn, Theist were repelled. That is what happened, and not only here, I have seen this before in a dozen places I have frequented.

And I know why.
Mickiel

Any Other Athests?

Post by Mickiel »

Any other Atheist? An interesting inquiry; " the writer asked, " Am I the only one?" And I understand that feeling, thinking you may be alone. Thinking that you walk alone.

In really relate to that, because I walk alone; and have for some 15 years now.

But I don't ask for company. I just accept the box that I am in; because I know who put me there.

His power

Its absolutely nothing I can do about it. In Ecclesiastes 7:13, " Consider the work of God, who can straighten out what he has bent?'

Oh yes, God will defintely bend humans...

for his own purpose.
Mickiel

Any Other Athests?

Post by Mickiel »

So few Atheist were here or in their closet, that an Atheist had to ask were they alone here. Interesting to me, how movements start. They can start from lonliness; familes cabn start from lonliness. Friendships can start from being alone.

Ways of thinking can start from being alone;

and I would not doubt that all life started from God being alone.

...and then he no longer wanted to be alone.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”