Hypothyroidism???

Texas Thunder

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Texas Thunder »

:-5Okay So I have been doing testing and think I have an under active Thyroid... So My Question is what can I do????.. Many People do not know about this and that it can wreak havic on your body... So I do not want to go to another stupid doctor that is going to pump me full of pills... Any Suggestions... Ladies you need to check to see if you have this if you can not seem to loose weight or are tired all the time.

It’s estimated that 1% of the population is suffering from hypothyroidism. This number is widely disputed. *Many scientist, researchers and physician's believe as many as 40% of the population has hypothyroidism. Every cell in the body depends on having enough thyroid hormone. If your thyroid gland becomes dysfunctional, every cell in the body suffers. This is why thyroid disorders can cause so many problems.

Symptoms Associated with Hypothyroid

• fatigue (the most profound symptom)

• headache

• dry skin

• swelling

• weight gain

• cold hands and feet

• poor memory

• hair loss

• hoarseness

• nervousness

• depression

• joint and muscle pain

• burning or tingling sensations in the hands and/or feet (hypothyroid neuropathy)

• yellowing of skin from a build up of carotene (conversion of carotene to vitamin A is slowed by hypothyroidism)

• carpal tunnel syndrome

• problems with balance and equilibrium (unsteadiness or lack of coordination)

• constipation (from slowed metabolism)

• myxedema (nonpitting edema due to the deposition of mucin in the skin) around the ankles, below the eyes, and elsewhere

• obsevation of delayed Achilles tendon reflex test

• hypertension (high blood pressure)

• angina (chest pain)

• atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)

• hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol)

• hyperhomocysteinenemia (a marker for heart disease)

• menstrual irregularities

• infertility

• PMS

• fibrocystic breast disease

• polycystic ovary syndrome

• reactive hypoglycemia

• psoariasis

• urticaria

• allergic rhinitis

Also Check if you have Hyperthyroidism

I can tell you how to test yourself. But can not find a natural remedy...HELP:mad::(:mad:
Lizard Lips

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Lizard Lips »

I found a few things about alternatives to drug therapy for hyper/hypothyroidism.

http://healingdeva.com/thyroid.htm

http://www.coconutdiet.com/thyroid_health.htm

http://www.homoeo.com/hypothyroidism.shtml

I'm not promoting any of these homeopathic remedies. Just sharing some info. I found some of the info quite informative.
Texas Thunder

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Texas Thunder »

Anything will help..Thank you so Much
K.Snyder

Hypothyroidism???

Post by K.Snyder »

Im so sorry to hear that Thunder....

I will be thinking and praying for you that your misfortune subsides. :yh_sigh
Patsy Warnick

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Patsy Warnick »

TEXAS

I'm on ARMOUR - it's a natural thyroid medication. I went to a Naturalpathic DR.

Distributor Women's International Pharmacy - their toll free number

# 800-270-5708

I had all the symptoms, my DR had me do a saliva test which will determine the potency of Armour.

Patsy
cherandbuster

Hypothyroidism???

Post by cherandbuster »

TSquared, can I ask you why you are against trying the traditional medications, like Synthroid?

If it works, does it matter if it's 'natural' or not?

Since I've had my back surgeries, I'm ALL for medication when necessary. I have no problems taking medication to regulate any condition I have.

Is 'natural' always better? :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Texas Thunder

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Texas Thunder »

I am not against all medications... It Just seems that everytime I go in for anythin they just prescribe me alot of Pills... I am really Trying to watch taking alot of Pills and so that is the reason I am trying to find Alternative methods of getting the Hormone up.
cherandbuster

Hypothyroidism???

Post by cherandbuster »

Texas Thunder wrote: I am not against all medications... It Just seems that everytime I go in for anythin they just prescribe me alot of Pills... I am really Trying to watch taking alot of Pills and so that is the reason I am trying to find Alternative methods of getting the Hormone up.

Good luck to you, TSquared :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

chonsigirl

Hypothyroidism???

Post by chonsigirl »

The Synthroid works well with my husband....................
Texas Thunder

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Texas Thunder »

Any other Suggestions???:-6
abbey

Hypothyroidism???

Post by abbey »

Glad to hear you're looking for alternatives TT,

My Mum's been on Thyroxine for years and her skin is like tissue paper it's gone so thin. :(
Texas Thunder

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Texas Thunder »

That would be really nice... I have gained so much... Weird Huh... I not doing anything different..
cherandbuster

Hypothyroidism???

Post by cherandbuster »

Texas Thunder wrote: That would be really nice... I have gained so much... Weird Huh... I not doing anything different..

Hypothyroidism is very common in women as we get older. Kudos to you for doing something about it :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Texas Thunder

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Texas Thunder »

My question is if it is so wide spread I mean I am only 28 years old why do they not have more stuff to fix it???
Bryn Mawr

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Texas Thunder wrote: Any other Suggestions???:-6

Often down to an Iodine deficiency so eat loads of seaweed.
Texas Thunder

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Texas Thunder »

How can I get Sea Weed....Can I buy it at the Health Food Store.. I live in North Texas.....I wander if I could get it at a Asian or chinese Market.
chonsigirl

Hypothyroidism???

Post by chonsigirl »

It probably can be at your local grocery store, or at an ethnic food store.
cherandbuster

Hypothyroidism???

Post by cherandbuster »

Texas Thunder wrote: How can I get Sea Weed....Can I buy it at the Health Food Store.. I live in North Texas.....I wander if I could get it at a Asian or chinese Market.

Hi TSquared :-6

I get mine at an Asian store online. I use it to make maki rolls (a type of sushi).

If you google it, I'm sure you'll find *tons* of places that sell it.

Good luck :)
Live Life with

PASSION

Bubblegum

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Bubblegum »

Hi Texas Thunder

The thyroid gland, a butterfly shaped gland situated at the front of the neck produces hormones essential to life. If the gland, for what ever reason is not producing enough thyroid hormones then these will need to be replaced with synthetic thyroxine (levothyroxine in the UK) for survival.

There are several reasons as to why the thyroid gland may not be producing enough thyroxine hormones, therefore before considering extra consumption of iodine or foodstuffs containing extra iodine a Doctor should be consulted as excess iodine can sometimes cause medical problems with the thyroid gland.

Only if a blood test indicates that you are deficient of thyroxine should a synthetic thyroxine medication be taken.

It is ESSENTIAL to seek proper medical advice regarding treatment of the thyroid gland!

The symptoms listed in your original post are not always all present in all hypothyroid patients but there are of course the usual stereotypical symptoms that occur in most patients.

Sometimes age can be immaterial where hypothyroidism is concerned.

I hope all is going well for you now. :-6
rainbowsmiles

Hypothyroidism???

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Hi Texas Thunder,

I was under a naturopath doctors care for hypothyroid for a few months and unfortunately the treatment didn't work (which is unusual considering I always go to a naturopath first and the treatments I've received for various sicknesses have always worked.) When I had been under his treatment I took a new TSH test and it had risen from 5.35 to over 6. Because I'm pg I decided I'd better go to an endocronologist and get on some treatment that would be effective because of the dangers hypothyroidism is to unborn babies. I have been taking synthroid now for 2 months. All I know about that drug so far is it has given me no ILL affects. I can't even tell the difference, mainly because I was asymptomatic to begin with.

But... I did want to say that natural medicines do work for hypothyroidism. My CNM told me that it isn't uncommon for woman to get treatment with a naturopath doctor and the CNM reported to me that it is usually successful - I just wasn't one of those success stories. :( Once I'm give birth I will return to the naturopath and work on alternative methods for treating it naturally but for now I just couldn't wait and work through any alternatives.
RedGlitter

Hypothyroidism???

Post by RedGlitter »

Texas Thunder,

I take Levoxil for my thyroid and so far have no complaints, for what it's worth.

But my suggestion is that you find a doctor who specializes in Eastern medicine, you know, as in China. Western medicine uses a lot of synthetic stuff while Eastern doctors use more natural remedies. Just a thought.
Bill Sikes

Hypothyroidism???

Post by Bill Sikes »

Bubblegum;443146 wrote: Hi Texas Thunder

The thyroid gland, a butterfly shaped gland situated at the front of the neck produces hormones essential to life. If the gland, for what ever reason is not producing enough thyroid hormones then these will need to be replaced with synthetic thyroxine (levothyroxine in the UK) for survival.

There are several reasons as to why the thyroid gland may not be producing enough thyroxine hormones, therefore before considering extra consumption of iodine or foodstuffs containing extra iodine a Doctor should be consulted as excess iodine can sometimes cause medical problems with the thyroid gland.

Only if a blood test indicates that you are deficient of thyroxine should a synthetic thyroxine medication be taken.

It is ESSENTIAL to seek proper medical advice regarding treatment of the thyroid gland!

The symptoms listed in your original post are not always all present in all hypothyroid patients but there are of course the usual stereotypical symptoms that occur in most patients.

Sometimes age can be immaterial where hypothyroidism is concerned.

I hope all is going well for you now. :-6

The above is the post to says it all. If you do have a thyroid issue, it's worth

having it investigated for other very important reasons, too. N.B. if it is a

thyroid issue, you will require periodic re-tests to possibly adjust the dose.

Hopefully though, as in the vast majority of people, there won't be a problem.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”