Age Restricted, Active Adult Retirement Community

Lon

Post by Lon »

Isn't that a mouthfull? Well, that's where I happen to live when in the U.S. Three thousand and two indvidual homes clustered around a 27 hole golf course. Tennis courts, volleyball courts, indoor and outdoor pools, bocce courts, pool tables, ping pong, on site restruant, 42 Chartered Clubs. The whole shabang is owned and operated by the residents. One partner must be age 55 or older and the majority of residents are retired. You can be as active or inactive as you choose, but I must say that most are pretty active, as that is why they moved here in the first place. There is a lot of Black Humour in living in such a community. When the ambulances making their almost daily visits, are referred to as the Sun City Taxi for example. Gven the average age of the community, that is to be expected. We have lived there for four years now and love it. It satisfies the lifestyle that we wish to have at this stage of our lives. When we retired we got rid of the big home and now have two smaller ones. One in the U.S. and the other in New Zealand, and oddly enough, it is really less expensive having the two homes, than one large home.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Jack Sprat wrote: Lon,

My father, age 90, has been living in a similar community in New Jersey. My wife and i are almost 60 and we are looking for a second home in such a community. Right now we live in the Mid-Hudson (NY) and plan on keeping this house as our main residence for at least another ten years.

If I might, where are you located? Dos my idea of using a retirement community as a secondary residence, sort of like a vacation home, sound reasonable?

Yes, it does sound reasonable Jack. In fact, there are a number of residents that use them as a vacation home. We live in Roseville, California (near Sacramento)

http://www.suncityroseville.org/

I was born in Newark and spent my grammer school days in Paterson.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Lon wrote: Isn't that a mouthfull? Well, that's where I happen to live when in the U.S. Three thousand and two indvidual homes clustered around a 27 hole golf course. Tennis courts, volleyball courts, indoor and outdoor pools, bocce courts, pool tables, ping pong, on site restruant, 42 Chartered Clubs. The whole shabang is owned and operated by the residents. One partner must be age 55 or older and the majority of residents are retired. You can be as active or inactive as you choose, but I must say that most are pretty active, as that is why they moved here in the first place. There is a lot of Black Humour in living in such a community. When the ambulances making their almost daily visits, are referred to as the Sun City Taxi for example. Gven the average age of the community, that is to be expected. We have lived there for four years now and love it. It satisfies the lifestyle that we wish to have at this stage of our lives. When we retired we got rid of the big home and now have two smaller ones. One in the U.S. and the other in New Zealand, and oddly enough, it is really less expensive having the two homes, than one large home. Is there anything like this in the UK or Ireland. This sounds great.
Wednesday's Child

Post by Wednesday's Child »

Lon

I was reading your post about Sun City - is that a Del Webb development? I know they are all over California and Arizona.... great planning and good living for retirees I hear.

My neighbor and her husband are looking at Del Webb on the internet.... it seems there is one up near Sacto....
Lon

Post by Lon »

Wednesday's Child wrote: Lon

I was reading your post about Sun City - is that a Del Webb development? I know they are all over California and Arizona.... great planning and good living for retirees I hear.

My neighbor and her husband are looking at Del Webb on the internet.... it seems there is one up near Sacto....

Yes -- It is a Del Webb development and called "Sun City Roseville", 20 miles from Sacramento. There is even a larger one 15 minutes from Roseville (also a Del Webb) called "Sun Sity Lincoln Hills".
Wednesday's Child

Post by Wednesday's Child »

Lon

You have it made....with your retirement community in California and then your time spent in NZ....what a wonderful way to spend all your hard earned working money....good for

you planning so well.

My neighbors are looking ... they saw some facilities in Arizona and Nevada but prefer California.... I hope they find a nice place but not too soon...I'll miss them! Especially the great cookies she bakes! (selfish me).

Return to “Retirement Activities”