Remember Silly Things You Thought About as a Little Kid??

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
bigdumbswede

Post by bigdumbswede »

Does anyone else remember some of the goofy things we thought or imagined when we were very young? I remember some of the silly stuff I thought when I was still very little.

When I was perhaps 4 or 5 years old I thought that dogs were all boys and cats were all girls, no exceptions.

I also thought that monsters did live under my bed and the only way to safely get into bed was to make islands for myself so that I could hop from island to island to get into bed. I'd find chairs or make piles of books, a flipped over clothes basket, and hop from one to the next in order to get in the bed. The fear of monsters only intensified when my older brother Lars got under the bed and grabbed my ankles once. Mother should have knocked him in the head when he was born.

When my youngest son was only three we used to purchase stamps from a little postal kiosk in the parking lot of a local shopping mall. It took dollars or change and the stamps would come out of the little slot. Erik was fascinated by this operation and asked me how it worked. I explained that the mailman left a little monkey inside who was in charge of taking the coins and shoving the stamps back out of the slot from the inside. He found this readily believable and from then on he'd ask if we were going to the Monkey Machine everytime we passed that postal kiosk. To this day he still calls the stamp machine in the post office the "monkey machine."

I also remember being a very little kid and thought that when we traveled by car or train the stars and the moon followed us, because whenever I looked out, they were still there.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Because my birthday's July 5th, I believed that all the fireworks and picnics and hooplah were for ME!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

When I was young, my dad and uncle owned a motel/restaurant/gas station place in a touristy area in the Northern part of New York State..at the Thousand Islands. Anyway, they were there from April through September. The rest of the families went for the summer. So, as I was only up there during the summer, and never saw it in winter, I just assumed it was always summer there, never winter.
jbbarker1947

Post by jbbarker1947 »

Some of these things you mention may be sign of higher than average intelligence.

Did you also associate colors with numbers? An example would be 2 is always red, 5 is always blue and 3 is green. Can you see sounds and hear colors?
Shweet tatersalad

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

The sillyest thing I thought about when I was a kid was how cool it would be too grow up..........................................................................:yh_rotfl
white_rose

Post by white_rose »

My silliest was...

Why do I have to be a Girl? Boys don't have to learn how to knit and do all kinds of girly stuff. They get to play with hammers and nails and......

I got laughed at when I asked my parents why in the **** I had to be a girl :-2
valerie

Post by valerie »

I used to walk around back of my mom all the time... looking for the

eyes she said she had back there...

:o
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

My "best" friend must have had an evil side to her, she told me that if you ate too much toast it dried your blood up and you died, my Mum couldn't understand why I suddenly started to refuse to eat any toast!

(She also fed me the line that if you got spots and they formed a line around you and joined up you would croak it! - she must have known how stupid I was even back then!:confused: )
minks

Post by minks »

Penelope the elephant lived in our house attic, my dad had us believeing this for ages.... explained all the creaks and moans of the house
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I though I was an alien and that I had been placed with my family to observe earth people (maybe I was right after all!). I was also terrified of the Banshee (Irish type ghost woman who wails the night before you die, I was always afraid I would hear her screaming). My taste in food also left something to be desired.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
jana fraser

Post by jana fraser »

I believed my 12 year old friend who told me I was going to get pregnant when I was at camp and kissed a boy in the kissing booth. She told me that is what made girls pregnant!
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

My grandmother taught me that thunder happened when the angels were making their beds.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
libertine

Post by libertine »

Lulu2 wrote: Because my birthday's July 5th, I believed that all the fireworks and picnics and hooplah were for ME!

My oldest son was born on November 11 at 11 a.m. in the days when it was still Armistice day. When he was in first grade, the school observed a moment of silence a 11 am on November 11 and he came home and told me it was for his birthday!!
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

We used to have a canal at the bottom of the garden and to keep me away from it, my Mom & Dad told me there were crocodiles in it and they'd eaten the kid down the road. I ALWAYS stayed in the garden.

My son always used to ask me if I could see any coins behind his ear when he was a bit short of money, as I used to "find" them there all the time.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
theia

Post by theia »

jbbarker1947 wrote: Did you also associate colors with numbers? An example would be 2 is always red, 5 is always blue and 3 is green. Can you see sounds and hear colors?

No, but my days of the week have specific colours.

And different years for me are like a pattern... certain years are at a particular point in this pattern and well, I can sort of change position in my mind and be at a particular year...
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

When my parents used to find out something I did'nt know they knew, They would always tell me a little bird told them. I could'nt wait to grow up and talk too the birds cause they seemed to know everything.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Someone told me that my knees would turn black if I drank coffee! Someone else told me I could turn into a boy if I kissed my elbow. I probably dislocated my neck trying to do that and I STILL don't drink coffee very often!

Needless to say, I'm still a girl. But my knees are pink! :wah:

Return to “General Chit Chat”