Furniture paint?

Discuss Arts and Crafts! Painting, sculpture, pottery, craft kits, plans, and ideas! Talk about projects that children can do as well.
Felinessa

Furniture paint?

Post by Felinessa »

I just bought two absolutely great dressers (they're enormous and they came oh-so-cheap :wah: ), but I'm not very fond of their color: they're painted white.

I'd like to paint them over, but to be honest, I don't even know where to start. I would prefer not to strip them, since there won't be any room in my new apartment for serious stuff like that, but I'd like to paint them over in a darker color. Now my question is: are there paint brands or types made especially for furniture? I'm not looking for stains, laquers, etc, since those would require sanding/stripping, and I have no idea how good the wood is. I'd like something I could apply on top of the white.

Or, another idea: is it possible to cover furniture with wallpaper? Has anyone tried that?

Second related question: I also bought a little chrome and glass coffee table, but I don't like the chrome too much. Is there such thing as an antique-gold paint for metal that won't look too gawdy?

Sorry if these are basic questions, but I'm moving into my first real apartment with my partner, and both he and I have subletted so far, so we haven't had our own stuff to play with.
The power of MEOW
Rapunzel

Furniture paint?

Post by Rapunzel »

Hiya Felinessa & welcome to FG! Make yourself at home! :D

This is a great site with chat and arguements because we do have differing points of view and we do like our points to be heard, but we are also good friends and we don't ban people just because we don't like their opinion!

How great to have your first place! Congrats!

And two white dressers! I would love to have 2 white dressers! (I'm very 'into' white furniture at the mo!) If you want to paint them though, you'll probably need to paint them with Primer first, before you paint them in your chosen colour(s)! If you have a DIY shop near you, you could ask their advice first. Wallpaper sounds like a fun idea, but I'd guess it would start to peel in awkward areas, such as shelf edges, which would leave dirty sticky areas that wouldn't look good. Wallpaper is not really suitable for heavy use objects sadly.

I don't like chrome either but I can't help you there I'm afraid. Ask at a DIY shop or a painting and decorating shop, they should be able to help.

Your first posts have been really interesting, I hope you stick around and write some more! :-6
Felinessa

Furniture paint?

Post by Felinessa »

Thank you for the welcome :)

Hmm, you do make a good point about the wallpaper.

I guess I'll have to paint them then. I've always liked baroque interiors, so I'm fond of dark wood and deep colors - I already got these gorgeous, antique looking burgundy shower curtains, and I'm planning on a deep red/burgundy comforter and matching curtains and slipcovers.

My house is going to look like a vampire's den :wah:
The power of MEOW
Accountable

Furniture paint?

Post by Accountable »

Felinessa wrote: Thank you for the welcome :)

Hmm, you do make a good point about the wallpaper.

I guess I'll have to paint them then. I've always liked baroque interiors, so I'm fond of dark wood and deep colors - I already got these gorgeous, antique looking burgundy shower curtains, and I'm planning on a deep red/burgundy comforter and matching curtains and slipcovers.

My house is going to look like a vampire's den :wah:There used to be a paint-over treatment that looks like antique wood. Dark brown base and yellowish random stripes, as I recall. But yeh, as Rapunzel said, ask the experts. You can rough up the chrome with sandpaper and spray-paint it any color you want. They even have stone finishes you can experiment with.

Show us pics when you're done!
Felinessa

Furniture paint?

Post by Felinessa »

*Drool*

That antique treatment is exactly what I'm looking for. I can't wait to move, put everything in its place, and toy around with the last couple of pieces that need fixing.

I think it's time to "run to Rona" :wah: (sorry, bad Canadian commercial)
The power of MEOW
Sheryl

Furniture paint?

Post by Sheryl »

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_paint_acces ... 76,00.html

Here's a link for antiquing metal. It looks pretty easy.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_paint_furni ... 64,00.html

An finally a link for different ways to spruce up your funiture with paint.

HGTV and DIY are 2 of my favorite channels to watch in the daytime, so their sites are always loaded with helpful information. :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Felinessa

Furniture paint?

Post by Felinessa »

Awesome!! Thank you so much.
The power of MEOW

Return to “Arts Crafts”