Why bride?

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Clint

Why bride?

Post by Clint »

In the Bible, Yeshua’s (Jesus’) followers are sometimes called His ‘bride”. Why are we called His bride? Sould it have significance to us today? Were the writers somehow committing the sin of sexism?
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Hawke

Why bride?

Post by Hawke »

Interestingly in Christianity, the relation between Christ and his church is set forth under the figure of that between a bridegroom and bride (see John 3:29). In this relationship, the church is referred to as the "bride". As such, Christ's followers, being his church, were his "bride". I base this on the fact that "church" is a synonym for "congregation". And yes, you could view this in a sexist light, but it should be remembered that much of Christianity is built upon sexist principles, which served to differentiate it from the myriad pagan religions of the time which, surprisingly, were often rather egalitarian (though often "reverse" sexism can be seen - women were in many cases revered over men).
Clint

Why bride?

Post by Clint »

One of the wonderful things about being considered His bride is that He has paid a price for us. In the day of his incarnation grooms paid a negotiated price to the bride’s father.

We have entered into a covenant agreement with Him just like a bride of that time would do when she accepted the cup the bridegroom offered her.

He is coming back for us. The groom of that time would leave after the betrothal to prepare a place for them to live. When his father said their new home was ready (often more than a year later) the groom would return for her, blowing the shofar and shouting, then take her home for the wedding celebration.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Clint

Why bride?

Post by Clint »

lesley wrote: sexism is a new invention.....to treat a brother or sister badly is a sin......
Aint it great though? Now days we divide up in groups with the two largest being male and female then sub-groups that range from color to sexual preference. Each group has its own reason for complaining that becomes its reason for existence. Each group has set out to shout louder than the others because each one sees themselves as the most downtrodden. None of them have it as bad as my group :).

If we just listened to what Jesus said and did unto others as we would have them do to us, all this group envy and poor me stuff would evaporate.
Raven

Why bride?

Post by Raven »

Clint wrote: Aint it great though? Now days we divide up in groups with the two largest being male and female then sub-groups that range from color to sexual preference. Each group has its own reason for complaining that becomes its reason for existence. Each group has set out to shout louder than the others because each one sees themselves as the most downtrodden. None of them have it as bad as my group :).

If we just listened to what Jesus said and did unto others as we would have them do to us, all this group envy and poor me stuff would evaporate.
But thats the beauty of being human. Good thing He knew what a difficult lot we are! LOL!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Clint

Why bride?

Post by Clint »

Raven wrote: But thats the beauty of being human. Good thing He knew what a difficult lot we are! LOL!
He knows and He cares. He tells us how to avoid our messes, then, when we get into them, He shows us how to get out. If we keep trying to get out but don’t succeed, He offers us an opportunity to be successful anyway. I should be happy to organize myself under His authority. I took the cup He offered and I’m making my feeble, human attempt at preparing for His return. I’m confident that He won’t reject me because I spilled some oil. He will rejoice over my effort to keep my lamp full.

Return to “Christianity”