My latest volcano adventure.

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
jaggedlittlegirl

Post by jaggedlittlegirl »

I organized a trip with some friends from work to a nearby volcano that is active and lately has had a lot of activity which produces a lot of lava. The volcano has been getting exposure all over, news, hiking associations,etc because it was "supposedly" quite a spectacular sight to hike up in the afternoon and see the monster in action at night.

So, we went, 11 of us left the city at around 5:30 pm, it's an hour drive to the Pacaya volcano. We started he climb at around 7 pm. That meant we had about 1 hour of sunlight to get to the camping spot, set up and wait for it go get dark. The hike took a little longer than that so it was already dark when we reached the top. It was pretty foggy also so we kinda got lost for a few minutes lol.

Anyway, we found a place to camp, set up our tents. By this point it was VERY windy and cold so we changed clothes, ate something and climbed further up to see the show. It was AMAZING, we were high, meaning far away from the lava but we could still feel the heat it produced. After about an hour of just staring at the show, we heard from some fellow hikers that you could go down and see the lava rivers up close. A few of us decided to go down. It was again very windy, foggy and we were going down a volcano; at a spot that was VERY steep, loose soil and right next to a sign that said "DANGER: Hiking NOT allowed".

You only live once right? ;)

Anyway, we went down and came across a bunch of cold, hardened lava, jumped on top of it and started walking. In between the cracks you could see the hot lava going thru right under us! We went out a little bith further until we reached a kind of small ledge. The "ledge" was actually one of the starting points of one of the lava rivers!!! So we were standing inches away from the lava, watching it slowly flow. I just stood there completely AMAZED. Mother nature's force at it's max right in front of my eyes.

So we stayed there a couple of minutes until some of my friends started complaining their shoes were getting warm and melting so we left and climbed back up.

After that, we "tried" to sleep. This was close to 1 am. I say tried because to my luck, my tentmates SNORED very loudly. The wind kept rattling the tent and we had some "neighbors" that just partied all night...meant constant singing, yelling, laughing, etc.

So I didnt sleep at all. 'round sunrise(6:00 am) we decided to go out and check it out. It was still very foggy and cold so we didnt really get to see anything. Se we just decided to go back up, check to see if the rivers were still flowing...they were. We stayed for maybe half an hour more taking pictures, ate something, packed up camp and headed back down.

I was at my house at 11 am, sore, tired and with a hurting knee. I just showered, changed and left for another activity I had...LOL I know, I'm nuts :wah:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jaggedlit ... e2&.src=ph

Here are some pictures, I took some small videos that i'll try and upload a little later. Some were taken with my camera, some with my cell phone.

I hope you like it! :D
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

jaggedlittlegirl wrote: You only live once right? ;)

JLG, that is just like something I would do. Take those chances, go for the adventure. Good for you!! Going to check out your pics now....
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

puppgirl

Post by puppgirl »

cool pics jaggy so when's the next adventure??? :P babyrider jaggy always goes on trips like this she wants to come here and bungee off the golden gate and she wants me to bungee too i'm too chicken :P
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

WOW! I am soooooo jealous! (Good thing your MOTHER didn't know about that "DANGER" sign, eh?) :wah:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
jaggedlittlegirl

Lulu2 wrote: WOW! I am soooooo jealous! (Good thing your MOTHER didn't know about that "DANGER" sign, eh?) :wah:

Want to hear something funny?! I told my family about the sign and everything and I didnt catch hell for it from them. I did from NS though! LOL :rolleyes:

Ahhhh pupp, I'll get you to jump, you'll see. :sneaky:
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Jagged, that's awesome. Excellent photos.:)
puppgirl

Post by puppgirl »

when pigs fly and fish bike :P
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Awesome photos Jagged. :-6
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Jag have you seen the movie Joe vs the Volcano ? That was a biography of my life after I contracted the bird flu.
I AM AWESOME MAN
jaggedlittlegirl

Really?? Wow I'm impressed!!! I wonder when they´ll make a movie about my life... :wah:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

jaggedlittlegirl wrote: Really?? Wow I'm impressed!!! I wonder when they´ll make a movie about my life... :wah:

Actually theres a hidden camera in your private message area. From the looks of it its going to be a blockbuster ! ;) :p
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

(And I'm helping to write the script!) Kiss, kiss, hug, hug! :-6
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Girl on girl ?

Give the lady a contract !
I AM AWESOME MAN
jaggedlittlegirl

Hehehe you´re hired! :sneaky:
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

I am sooooo jealous!!:)

I am facinated by volcanos.

Those photographs are prizewinners, jaggedlittlegirl!!

You should send them to National Geographic magazine, I'm sure you'd win a prize!

Awsome!!!
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
jana fraser

Post by jana fraser »

Awesome pictures. I'd love to see a volcano! Maybe one day) Closest I've ever come is to helping my daughter build one using baking soda and paper mache in my kitchen. I had 'lava' all over the place.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

jana fraser wrote: Awesome pictures. I'd love to see a volcano! Maybe one day) Closest I've ever come is to helping my daughter build one using baking soda and paper mache in my kitchen. I had 'lava' all over the place.

Me too !

I AM AWESOME MAN
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

When's the next adventure, Jagged?

Return to “Travel Vacation”