The All or Nothing Syndrome

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

I have had issues with eating my entire adult life. The concept of moderation, unfortunately, is foreign to me. I am from the school of All or Nothing.

I am 5'4" tall and my weight can varying from 110 to 140. I can gain weight and lose weight faster than anyone I know. It's easy for me. It's the All or Nothing Syndrome.

Naturally, self-esteem issues go hand-in-hand with this. Sometimes, I look in the mirror and say, "Why are you wasting so much time and energy on this issue? Why can't you like yourself as much as other people do?"

Ah, but if I could only learn moderation. Unlike booze or drugs, the all or nothing concept doesn't work with food. You have to eat. Why can't I have a spoon or two of ice cream without eating the whole pint? Why not 2 or 3 cookies instead of finishing the package?

Does anyone else struggle with this issue? I'd like to hear from some of you.
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It is hard to eat in moderation, when there is something tasty you are craving or eating. Once you change your whole eating habits, from lifestyle decisions, this turn arounds and some of those craving will decrease.

I used to be like that, but now am on the other end of the stick. It is hard to keep my weight constant and not drop anymore. I have thankfully bottomed out I hope, but I must eat high caloric food to keep it on. Ha-change of life or something will kick in, and it will reverse itself again!
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Growing up we had to clean our plates. We would get the lecture of starving children in Africa. So I learned real quick to use a dessert plate when fixing my plate with food. Now with my children I just try to get them to eat a little of everthing on thier plate. And the easiest way I've found not to eat alot icecream or cookies is to not buy them. :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Sheryl wrote: And the easiest way I've found not to eat alot icecream or cookies is to not buy them. :D

You said it! I don't buy that stuff at the supermarket, as I won't keep it in the house.

However, my hubby has become my 'enabler'. I'm embarrassed to say he will make 'snack runs' for me in the evening. If he's going out to fill his gas tank or play a lottery number (which he does a lot:rolleyes: ), he'll often bring home some sweets.

And then I will attack them:(
Live Life with

PASSION

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Hmm, Cher, let hubby win lottery money, and bring you back the loot instead, to go shopping for new clothes!

Buster, you eat the snackie poos now..........................:)
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Well Cher, just tell him to get you items that are lower in calories and no king sized items. you want ice cream get frozen yogurt or sherbet. For the chocolate you want get tootsie rolls or a Big Hunk (y'all have those). And remember dark chocolate is good for you, filled with antioxidants. :wah:
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

i relate well to this, i am a comfort eater & ive also picked up some really bad "learned" habits

as you know ive started the paul mckenna plan which is not a diet as such, its more at reprogramming the bad habits you have picked up

i dont know if it will work cher but im willing to give it a try, its not so much that i have objections to how i look in the mirror, its the level of fitness i have, its pretty low due to all this weight gain & im only 40, i want to live to a ripe old age

maybe you could consider joining me & rapunzel on our quest?
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

flopstock wrote: Fortunately I have plenty of other things to give me self esteem issues.:D

Oh that's funny:D

Thanks for the laugh, Flops.
Live Life with

PASSION

alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

cherandbuster wrote: I have had issues with eating my entire adult life. The concept of moderation, unfortunately, is foreign to me. I am from the school of All or Nothing.

I am 5'4" tall and my weight can varying from 110 to 140. I can gain weight and lose weight faster than anyone I know. It's easy for me. It's the All or Nothing Syndrome.

Naturally, self-esteem issues go hand-in-hand with this. Sometimes, I look in the mirror and say, "Why are you wasting so much time and energy on this issue? Why can't you like yourself as much as other people do?"

Ah, but if I could only learn moderation. Unlike booze or drugs, the all or nothing concept doesn't work with food. You have to eat. Why can't I have a spoon or two of ice cream without eating the whole pint? Why not 2 or 3 cookies instead of finishing the package?

Does anyone else struggle with this issue? I'd like to hear from some of you.

Interesting post.

Emotions play the single most important role in our total health picture. As a nutritional therapist of some 15 years, I can design a food plan that will metabolically fit you, taste delicious, satisfy cravings, help you to the right weight, and keep you healthy for 100-120 happy go lucky, pain free, mentally sharp years.

I'm like the pit crew for Jeff Gordon's racing team. I can get extra octane out of his fuel supply that will provide him all the free horsepower he needs to win. But if he's preoccupied, because his wife just filed for divorce, our team will finish dead last.

We all face stresses. We all carry baggage. Learning how to differentiate between the two, jettison excess baggage, then learn how to process stress in positive ways, allows the nutritional work to, well...work.

We semi-kiddingly say our program is about copious amounts of delicious food, great sex and loving relationships. If these things don't appeal to you, it probably isn't the right program for you.
jana fraser

Post by jana fraser »

Cher I have the same height , build and affliction (if i can call it that!) as you do. The all or nothing affliction. My weight range is similar to yours too. I sadly cannot buy a pint of ice cream and not eat the entire thing. Heavenly Hash or Butter Pecan can be my undoing and the difference in a size or two on the pants rack.

I still buy them because I still have 2 teens at home that have no weight issues as of yet. They thankfully can eat a dish of ice cream and be content with it. What i have to do is 'hide' the tub of ice cream by putting taller cartons in front of it so i don't see it. Make it awkward to get to and all that, make it so i have to remove all those items to get to it. Who am I kidding? I'd stand on my head and bounce up and down if I had to , to 'get' to it when i get a craving! Problem is i feel terrible after I on a binge eat an entire tub of ice cream. I guess it is healthier not to feel guilty, just accept it happened and not stress about it or it DOES become a self esteem issue.

Another weakness of mine are nuts and while some are good for you, the ones I love are not.....like cashews. Give me a can , I'll eat the entire thing.

I wish I had cravings for a bag of spinach or celery!

A friend of mine told me for every 10 years the average woman puts on 10 lbs. Hormones and all that. Ill try to defy those odds as best I can. Otherwise Ill be very sorry I threw out my maternity clothes ( I put on almost 60 lbs with my first daughter. By the time i reach 80 or 90 years of age, they'd fit perfectly!
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Jana and Pinky

Thank you both for your honesty

I truly understand how, in just a few months, we can go from thin to 'chunky'.

Somehow it helps having friends like you guys who go through similar things :-4
Live Life with

PASSION

woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

I have allways had the same problem my entire life and do infact still "suffer" from the same problrms.

I have continually tried dieting, but allways with initial great success, then the temptation just gets the better of me again and the vicious little circle starts again.

Make no mistake, I've always been a big eater, my mother always cooked substantial, heavy meals, which I think was a lot to do with her Afrikaans heritage.

One of the other things I think which has influenced the way I am today, concerning diet, was the fact that I remained living with my parents untill i was 28 (shock, horror!!), and I always had my food cooked and ready for me when I came home from work. Because it was ready, available (and tasty!!), I just didn't question what I was doing to my body.

I so much wan't to lose weight, and get fit by the time I'm 40 because I wan't to be able to play football with my son and do all the other things that fathers and sons do, but I wonder if I will ever have the will power to do it.:(
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

You guys are great!

Woppy my friend, I love ya :-4
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Is it too nosey to ask you what your weight range is?

Mine's about 110 (wayyyy too skinny, almost sickly-skinny) up to over 140 (probably close to 150)

My best weight is 120-125.

I've been doing well lately and now weigh in at 130, so at least I'm going in the right direction.

But who knows where I'll be a year or two from now? I never know :(
Live Life with

PASSION

Shweet tatersalad

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

Well as for myself,I am only 5' 6" and I maintain a 185 too 190 weight.

I was always the little fat kid in school and that is where my Fitness weakness started.At 18 I got fit and stayed for the most part over the years,I have learned that I can eat sweets when I know that i will burn them off,not before bed,not In front of the TV etc.The rest of my day is little meals over the whole day.This way my body can keep up with my metabolism.If you sit and pack it in,Your body works extra hard too Process your meal.Thus making you feel run down or tired.And you have no energy.So it's a combo of what/how much/when you eat that could determine your weight and loses.I follow a plan and only vary a pound or two at a time.I also exercise,and only eat veggies or fruit at night.I have a couple sites that I can hook you up with too help you organize your weight with make sense eating habits.

get Better BR
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Pinky wrote: I don't know in KG's, but I vary from anything between 9 stone (size 10 for me) to 12 stone at my heaviest (size 16).

At least I have boobs when I'm bigger!:D

I agree with the boob comment!

Where are you now in your range, Pinkster?
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Plus, as most of you guys know, I've got a skinny identical twin to deal with!

Doesn't help my self-image much :(
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Pinkster

To tell you the truth

I feel *exactly* the same way about you.

You radiate such love and warmth. I can feel it in every one of your posts. :-4
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Pinky wrote: I am not doing so well today - I'm sitting here eating scones smothered in cornish clotted cream! :yh_drool

Oh what the hell

LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO EAT SCONES WITH CLOTTED CREAM! :guitarist
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Pinkster

I still say you've got a great ASS :guitarist
Live Life with

PASSION